Anti-Maple Leafs Thread

Cataclaw

I wonder if Burke will read a statement written by Petty's secretary while petty lipsyncs by his sides just Like LFetcher did last year !!

Go to 4:46 :o

:lol:

Edited by marky_and_komi

To be fair it only makes sense for CBC. Toronto is the largest population centre in Canada, the majority of Canadiens fans have access to all Canadiens games through almost basic cable (it's not pay-per-view or even an expansive specialized channel like the Movie Network, Playboy, or NHL centre Ice), and the majority of Canadiens fans also happen to be localized in a francophone province.

If anything perhaps they should re-introduce Saturday night games on SRC (French CBC), that would make more sense. The are already plenty of Canadian teams fighting for air time over CBC...

That may be an accurate statement, but probably the margins are very close. I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but BC and Alberta are Habs crazy. When the Leafs and Habs are in town, the fans are 50% hometown, 50% leafs or habs.

That may be an accurate statement, but probably the margins are very close. I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but BC and Alberta are Habs crazy. When the Leafs and Habs are in town, the fans are 50% hometown, 50% leafs or habs.

The Habs? Really? I've been to a couple Habs games and it's usually overwhelmingly Flames fans. Maybe the rest of the province is different but the Habs don't have a strong fanbase in Calgary. The Leafs are a different story.

Leafs Hire Nonis

Not very surprising as Burke seems to always want him around. It's a good move for the Leafs, Nonis is a competent guy and it even gives them a potential GM candidate after Burke.

Schenn out 2 weeks.

Speeking of him, anyone else think he is not worth the hype (I know it's early).

the leafs have dropped the ball on many draft picks but not this one.For him to be able to be such a reliable D at such a young age is a testament to his talent. Once he lays out Lucic cold he'll be a hero in montreal.

the leafs have dropped the ball on many draft picks but not this one.For him to be able to be such a reliable D at such a young age is a testament to his talent. Once he lays out Lucic cold he'll be a hero in montreal.

I agree, Luke Schenn has been very impressive for a large, defensive defenseman who just turned 19 a month ago. When you think about it, he's actually far ahead of Mike Komisarek at the same age, who didn't get his act together until he was 22/23. Schenn was now logging about 22/23 minutes a game before his injury, and is already in the top 10 in the NHL for hits.

I'm not suremaking the jump at 18 was the best option for a player like Schenn, but at least - unlike Latendresse did for example - he's logging a lot of quality ice-time, therefore he can actually continue to progress with the Leafs. At that age quality ice-time is crucial, and he's getting that.

• 3 weeks later...
With Burke in Toronto, they could become a closet favourite of mine. His sound bites are second to none.

You aren't "Coming out" are you Colin?

I agree, Luke Schenn has been very impressive for a large, defensive defenseman who just turned 19 a month ago. When you think about it, he's actually far ahead of Mike Komisarek at the same age, who didn't get his act together until he was 22/23. Schenn was now logging about 22/23 minutes a game before his injury, and is already in the top 10 in the NHL for hits.

I'm not suremaking the jump at 18 was the best option for a player like Schenn, but at least - unlike Latendresse did for example - he's logging a lot of quality ice-time, therefore he can actually continue to progress with the Leafs. At that age quality ice-time is crucial, and he's getting that.

Schenn had the advantage of no expectations on his team starting the season. They were not suppose to be in the picture as meuch as they even are, which isn't much.

He was a great draft pic that I am sure will be mishandled by the TML organization.

Burke will build a solid contender, come oh so close, actually almost make a final in 3 years.

He will mouth off, the owners group will react by firing him. After all the team is so good anyone can manage it at this point...

Team falls apart and gets dismantled in the following couple years.

My prediction for this 5 year up and down ends with Schenn be dealt at 24.

The drought will continue on and on..... :clap:

You aren't "Coming out" are you Colin?

No, no. I'm a Bruins fan, not a Leaf fan. I just don't hate the Leafs, rather I pity them. Nothing to hate when you've had one marginally successful season in the last 40+ years.

Schenn had the advantage of no expectations on his team starting the season. They were not suppose to be in the picture as meuch as they even are, which isn't much.

He was a great draft pic that I am sure will be mishandled by the TML organization.

Burke will build a solid contender, come oh so close, actually almost make a final in 3 years.

He will mouth off, the owners group will react by firing him. After all the team is so good anyone can manage it at this point...

Team falls apart and gets dismantled in the following couple years.

My prediction for this 5 year up and down ends with Schenn be dealt at 24.

The drought will continue on and on..... :clap:

The Leafs have actually got a great management team now that they've got Burke, Maurice and Nonis hanging around (with Cliff Fletcher and just about anyone they want as advisors). I think we need to start taking them seriously. For the next couple of seasons, they'll still be a weak team but they are at least showing signs of coming out of this dark stage of their history. It will probably take them 3-5 years to make the playoffs but Schenn is the first step in the right direction for him. With the management they currently have, there's no reason to assume they're going to mess him up. With JFJ and the old gang, maybe.

The Leafs have actually got a great management team now that they've got Burke, Maurice and Nonis hanging around (with Cliff Fletcher and just about anyone they want as advisors). I think we need to start taking them seriously. For the next couple of seasons, they'll still be a weak team but they are at least showing signs of coming out of this dark stage of their history. It will probably take them 3-5 years to make the playoffs but Schenn is the first step in the right direction for him. With the management they currently have, there's no reason to assume they're going to mess him up. With JFJ and the old gang, maybe.

Maurice is now behing Canes bench...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What a goal by Stafford of the Sabres against the Lafss! The Sabres completely kicked their ass, 5-0 and it could had been worse w/o Pogge.

Edited by Jean

"Maple Leafs rookie Mikhail Grabovski was a healthy scratch last night against the Buffalo Sabres -- the first time this season the young centre has been banished to the press box.

Grabovski has 13 goals and 13 assists in 48 games this season, but his indifferent play of late prompted head coach Ron Wilson to scratch him from the lineup.

Grabovski played just over 10 minutes in Toronto's 4-3 overtime loss to the Florida Panthers on Tuesday night and only has one point since returning from a three-game suspension on Jan. 16.

LINK

It's just his turn. Wilson has been giving a lot of different players a view from above this season, including more experienced guys like Blake and Stajan (earlier this season). This year is all about changing the culture, showing the team who is boss, instilling accountability... worthwhile preoccupations while awaiting Burke to ship everyone out.

I wonder who will get benched after the Buffalo disaster... so many choices.

Gotta say, since he was one of my all-time favourite Hitmen, I was happy to see them finally give Pogge a chance. Even better, he played well. Good to see, he's a good guy.
I hope there's Leaf fans here to read this because the organization is treating this guy like garbage. Why in the world did they demote him? They are going to truly ruin this kid. The guy has to play in the NHL now. He was awesome last night and the org sends him home?

The best thing they could do for Pogge is to give him the post or trade him. Burke himself said that Toskala is not impressing him with some of his "bad habits". Obviously the brass have no faith in Toskala. Just trade Toskala now and let Pogge play. Do something.

So, who's your freaking goalie Leefs? Go with him or let him become an elite goalie somewhere else.

...And I thought Burke meant stability? :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught a Mats Sundin interview on the CBC. He compared the leafs to the yankees. I nearly upchucked my shish-taouk take out!!!! I guess swedes don't follow baseball. Mats, the leafs are like the cubs, get it right please.