Anti-Maple Leafs Thread

Cataclaw

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Leaf Fans are suffering after the worst game seven collapse in NHL history.......Let them eat crow!

That was a strange set of emotions for me last night.

I hate the Bruins and the Leafs and was happy to see the Bruins getting crushed because going into that game only the Bruins scared me as a cup contender. I knew if the Leafs won they'd be toast in round 2.

That said, last night was hilarious.

I've went to bed with a grin on my face, and when I woke up it was still there, and even after getting cut off driving into work it was still there...........:)

Funniest. Game 7. Ever.

I thought it was obvious that the Bruins just quit and then it looked like around the 12 minute mark, someone reminded them that their playoffs were over if this game ended 4-1. Suddenly the whole team woke up and it one goal after another.

I said at one point, "Just don't see the Bruins making the comeback. The universe isn't that nice to me."

:P

Grabovski admitted he did bite Pacioretty Feb. 9.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=423612

The NHL should suspend Grabovski for 10+ games for making a mockery of the disciplinary process. Make the suspension so big for lying at the hearing that it would discourage players from lying during the process again.

I'm wondering how the NHL is really going to react to this. To no do anything would make a mockery of the league. Something has to be done.

I'm wondering how the NHL is really going to react to this. To no do anything would make a mockery of the league. Something has to be done.

I don't think they can to be honest. Didn't Ference from Boston lie about something a few years back only to admit it a little while later? Short of keeping it in mind the next time he does something, I don't think here's anything they can do.

Plus, if the league could do something, wouldn't it then be prudent to not admit to it and not open himself up to suspension?

I don't think they can to be honest. Didn't Ference from Boston lie about something a few years back only to admit it a little while later? Short of keeping it in mind the next time he does something, I don't think here's anything they can do.

Plus, if the league could do something, wouldn't it then be prudent to not admit to it and not open himself up to suspension?

Yeah Ference admitted that he gave the Finger to the Montreal crowd and that his story of an "equipment malfunction" was bullshit.

Of course anyone who has worn hockey gloves would have known that Ference's explanation was BS right from the start, seemed the NHL didn't want to suspend him at that time. Yet they did suspend Wisniewski for his actions on the ice (blow job imitation).

• 3 months later...

Just want to take a quick detour down the "What If?" road...

In this case, what if the Leafs had a good General Manager this summer? Unless Nonis somehow pulls a rabbit out of his ass in the next few weeks, he'll be forced to trade a good player for scrap to make cap space for another good player. So how could this have been avoided?

Well... first off, John Michael Liles would have joined Mike Komisarek as a compliance buyout. Why? Because he deserved it more than Grabovski, and he looks to be impossible to trade.

Secondly, Tyler Bozak would have been allowed to walk. Why? Grabovski is better than Bozak in every way except faceoffs and being BFF's with Phil Kessel. Does Phil whine about this? Yep... but he'll stop when Grabovski rebounds this season and slaughters Bozak on the scoresheet.

Thirdly, try to get an experienced backup to help mentor Reimer. Bernier isn't the answer, because goaltending isn't really the question. Plus, any one brought in (or if Scrivens is kept) would cost less than 2.9 that Bernier got.

And finally, only sign one of Orr or McLaren. Waste 1 roster spot, not two.

With these simple decisions, Toronto would be going into training camp with cap space to sign Mason Raymond (the PTO is useless with no cap space to sign him) to a desperation contract of 1.5 mill for 1 year. They would have around $9 million in cap space to sign Kadri and Franson (which at least stops Nonis from having to lowball their bridge deals like he's forced to now). Even if they end up signing for 3 mill apiece, the Leafs would still have 2.5 mill in cap space for roster improvements, and their team would look like this:

Lupul - Grabovski - Kessel

Van Riemsdyk - Kadri - Clarkson

Raymond - Bolland - Kulemin

Colborne - McClement - Frattin/Orr

Phaneuf - Franson

Gunnarson - Gardiner

Fraser - Ranger/Holzer

Reimer

Scrivens

instead of the current sorry affair they have masquerading as an NHL roster. 4 decisions made, 5 different players on the roster, and a large difference of how well the Toronto Maple Leafs are run.

So... thanks Nonis!

• Upvote 2

Why don't we have an anti-Broons thread since they, you know, are actually worth talking about?

Cuz they won a Cup since 1967...

Joke aside, It's more easy to pick on the Leafs because they use to suck for a decade now.

The Bruins are actually a team that I respect for their results. Do I respect them for the way they get their results ? Mehhh....

• 2 weeks later...

wow - Kessel was embarrassing. I know he isn't a fighter, but you just can't swing the stick! hope the Maples start the year with a nice losing streak with ready-made excuses to boot!

Kessel will miss at least 1 or 2 as well. Dirty slashing job.

Despite the fact this isn't even his first slashing job of the preseason, I have a hunch his match penalty will be rescinded or it'll be a preseason suspension. Clarkson's seems more cut and dry although that also needs to be held up by Shanahan.

I think the team building, respect stuff is over blown. I'd rather have him playing and contributing for those first 10 games. That's how you earn respect. Love it, keep it up Clarkson, what a fool.