Price's contract talks

dlbalr

Price's contract  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which term is better, considering a longer term = longer cap hit?

• 1 year
    • 2 years
    • 3 years
    • 4 years
    • 5 or more years

I don't think there is any choice but to sign Price. What's the problem the price or the term? Start the barbie if something doesn't happen soon.

A little bit of both. The most probable scenario is that Price's side is asking for maybe a little less money, but short term deal while the Habs are giving maybe a little more money, but a longer term deal.

Price doesn't want to be stuck underpaid if he improves his game and the Habs would have advantage to lock him at an average salary for a few more years.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Price doesn't want to be stuck underpaid if he improves his game and the Habs would have advantage to lock him at an average salary for a few more years.

Unfortunately, Price came off a so-so season and it really isn't within his control anymore...short term I'll be content with.

Apparently Price is saying $3M per year or bust according to the latest report. I was told there'd be news on him by Tuesday but that wasn't what I was expecting. (Nor do I think the report is legit either.) Oh well, makes for something resembling news at least. Still another week or so away from hitting a point where him being unsigned might actually warrant being a story.

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/hockey...831-152427.html

Apparently Price is saying $3M per year or bust according to the latest report. I was told there'd be news on him by Tuesday but that wasn't what I was expecting. (Nor do I think the report is legit either.) Oh well, makes for something resembling news at least. Still another week or so away from hitting a point where him being unsigned might actually warrant being a story.

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/hockey...831-152427.html

I don't buy it.

If he does hold out, he better be lights out because the heat will be 10x what it is right now.

I don't buy it.

If he does hold out, he better be lights out because the heat will be 10x what it is right now.

10x may be an understatement to be honest. I think the heat is already that much higher regardless of when he signs due to the polarization of fans after the Halak trade. The only thing I could envision him holding out for is a trade and at this point, that wouldn't be the smartest course of action so I don't see that happening. At this point, everyone's looking for the latest scoop trying to proclaim they first reported ___. Can't blame them really, even I posted a column like that 6 weeks ago with what I was told the situation was at the time (which doesn't appear to be too accurate right now). Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see in the next 2 days someone proclaim he's holding out for a trade...it seems like the next step in the needless sensationalism that has surrounded these negotiations.

10x may be an understatement to be honest. I think the heat is already that much higher regardless of when he signs due to the polarization of fans after the Halak trade. The only thing I could envision him holding out for is a trade and at this point, that wouldn't be the smartest course of action so I don't see that happening. At this point, everyone's looking for the latest scoop trying to proclaim they first reported ___. Can't blame them really, even I posted a column like that 6 weeks ago with what I was told the situation was at the time (which doesn't appear to be too accurate right now). Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to see in the next 2 days someone proclaim he's holding out for a trade...it seems like the next step in the needless sensationalism that has surrounded these negotiations.

Blame Gauthier. I said it the time and i'll say it again. Why you would rush to trade Halak without signing Price is plain stupidity. And I don't care about the crap about negotiating in bad faith. You sign your players and then make move to deal with the cap. Do you think anyone is going to accuse SJ of under-cutting Nitimakk (to lazy to check the spelling), if they end up signing Neimi now?

I don't believe it's true, but on the odd chance it is his strategy, it's really dumb!

Blame Gauthier. I said it the time and i'll say it again. Why you would rush to trade Halak without signing Price is plain stupidity. And I don't care about the crap about negotiating in bad faith. You sign your players and then make move to deal with the cap. Do you think anyone is going to accuse SJ of under-cutting Nitimakk (to lazy to check the spelling), if they end up signing Neimi now?

I wouldn't put too much stock in a single tweet (but that's the media for you nowadays). Nonetheless, if these negotiations drag on much longer then it will be clear that you are absolutely right. Whatever we think of trading Halak in principle, the *rush* to trade him was incomprehensible. I think panic about it remains premature, though - but he'd better be signed by camp. Price can NOT afford anything that could adversely affect his performance and holding out often has a tendency to do that.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Don't you think Halaks trade value would have been lowered by a signed Price? Other teams would know that Halak HAD to be traded, and they would be trading from a position of weakness. People seem to forget...Price has no leverage, at all. He can hold out, but in this day and age of goalies being undervalued it'd be career suicide, especially with the amount of goalies still floating around.

I think they weighed the risk of a long contract talk vs. the amount they would lose in the Halak trade if Price was signed first, and thought "so the media boo hoos a bit, this is the right move".

Don't you think Halaks trade value would have been lowered by a signed Price? Other teams would know that Halak HAD to be traded, and they would be trading from a position of weakness. People seem to forget...Price has no leverage, at all. He can hold out, but in this day and age of goalies being undervalued it'd be career suicide, especially with the amount of goalies still floating around.

I think they weighed the risk of a long contract talk vs. the amount they would lose in the Halak trade if Price was signed first, and thought "so the media boo hoos a bit, this is the right move".

I still thin they could have signed price at $2m or less if Halak was still around. I don't see how price being signed would lower Halak's value. I think we already sold Halak low and will be signing Price high now. Typical of habs trade. Give up more for a lower return and resign guys to higher then necessRy contracts.

All gather had to do was say we are prepared to fo with 2 goalies unless we receive good value. Worst case scenario, we would have had to waive or demote Hamrlik.

I wouldn't put too much stock in a single tweet (but that's the media for you nowadays). Nonetheless, if these negotiations drag on much longer then it will be clear that you are absolutely right. Whatever we think of trading Halak in principle, the *rush* to trade him was incomprehensible. I think panic about it remains premature, though - but he'd better be signed by camp. Price can NOT afford anything that could adversely affect his performance and holding out often has a tendency to do that.

All of this speculation is based on fear.

If after 5 years of intense loyalty by Gainey and Gauthier and numerous opportunities to gain experience when sometimes it wasn't warranted returns a holdout when they hand him the job again, then all the talk of his maturity off the ice in the playoffs is fabricated nonsense.

The new media has created a divide in which you have to choose which fabricated nonsense to believe.

This isn't like Theodore who just won the MVP, Vezina and stopped 450 shots over 13 playoff games.

He has ZERO leverage in the matter. The miniscule amount that he can squeeze on this contract pales in comparison to the damage he could wreak on his 2011 season and his destroyed reputation in Montreal.

Edited by Wamsley01

I still thin they could have signed price at $2m or less if Halak was still around. I don't see how price being signed would lower Halak's value. I think we already sold Halak low and will be signing Price high now. Typical of habs trade. Give up more for a lower return and resign guys to higher then necessRy contracts.

All gather had to do was say we are prepared to fo with 2 goalies unless we receive good value. Worst case scenario, we would have had to waive or demote Hamrlik.

The GMs look at more than just a players talents, you think teams are lining up to help out Boston take Savard off their hands, this is a business, when a team is in a hard place the other GMs are like sharks smelling blood in the water. A signed Price would obviously show other teams that Halak HAS to be traded, they weren't going to have both of them, and his value would have been lowered.

The return on Halak was just about right in my mind, a 1st and 3rd round draft pick. This is way too soon to evaluate this trade, we as fans tend to over evaluate the talent level of our players. What I question about your post is you seeming to know what Price would have signed for. You think Price would have taken 2m or less for 4 years? Thats bad business, especially if you're being paid like a backup and expected to do starter minutes. He may as well have signed for 2m or he may have requested a trade if Halak was going to be a starter, who knows?

We don't even know what the issue is with Price, the money may not even be the sticking point. Maybe it's the years, maybe they're offering more money for more years, and he doesn't want that. The way the media has treated him, I don't blame him.

The GMs look at more than just a players talents, you think teams are lining up to help out Boston take Savard off their hands, this is a business, when a team is in a hard place the other GMs are like sharks smelling blood in the water. A signed Price would obviously show other teams that Halak HAS to be traded, they weren't going to have both of them, and his value would have been lowered.

The return on Halak was just about right in my mind, a 1st and 3rd round draft pick. This is way too soon to evaluate this trade, we as fans tend to over evaluate the talent level of our players. What I question about your post is you seeming to know what Price would have signed for. You think Price would have taken 2m or less for 4 years? Thats bad business, especially if you're being paid like a backup and expected to do starter minutes. He may as well have signed for 2m or he may have requested a trade if Halak was going to be a starter, who knows?

We don't even know what the issue is with Price, the money may not even be the sticking point. Maybe it's the years, maybe they're offering more money for more years, and he doesn't want that. The way the media has treated him, I don't blame him.

I never said $2m/hr for 4 years. I doubt Price would accept any deal that cuts into more than 1 year of his arbitration rights. I do think a 2 year $2m/yr deal would have been fair for both sides - if he wasn't handed the starting job.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I think the rush to trade Halak had something to do with there being so many decent goalies available on July 1st. Why would St Louis trade a top prospect (plus other stuff) for Halak for a salary of 3.75M per year when they can get a Dan Ellis or Turco or someone for free on a much smaller deal? The longer we waited, the less temping Halak would have become.

I think the rush to trade Halak had something to do with there being so many decent goalies available on July 1st. Why would St Louis trade a top prospect (plus other stuff) for Halak for a salary of 3.75M per year when they can get a Dan Ellis or Turco or someone for free on a much smaller deal? The longer we waited, the less temping Halak would have become.

A reasonable take on it. When you look at how highly Halak is regarded, though - the centrepiece of St Louis's marketing, generally seen as the final piece to a completed resurgence there, picked by The Score magazine as a Vezina candidate, etc. - I'm not entirely convinced that he would have been seen as in the same category as those other guys. He might have kept most of his value. Nonetheless, a fair point.

A reasonable take on it. When you look at how highly Halak is regarded, though - the centrepiece of St Louis's marketing, generally seen as the final piece to a completed resurgence there, picked by The Score magazine as a Vezina candidate, etc. - I'm not entirely convinced that he would have been seen as in the same category as those other guys. He might have kept most of his value. Nonetheless, a fair point.

The Canadiens made Latendresse and Lapierre the focal point of their marketing two years ago.

The Blues/fans have placed their failures on the backs of their goaltenders, hence the fanbase has already

deified Halak as the franchise goalie they have missed since Cujo left.

It is misplaced blame. As for the Score picking Halak as a Vezina candidate, they also picked Bryzgalov to

win 28 games (42 wins) and not break a .909 SV% (.920) in 2010 and picked Tim Thomas to win 36 games (17 wins).

They base their projections on the most recent memory, not on predicting probable outcomes.

The point is that the risk was that the Blues may have resigned Mason now knowing Halak was available. If the Blues

waited through July then Niemi would have popped free. Considering that goaltenders routinely return little, the Habs

probably targeted Eller and when they got him they went for it.

All of this speculation is based on fear.

If after 5 years of intense loyalty by Gainey and Gauthier and numerous opportunities to gain experience when sometimes it wasn't warranted returns a holdout when they hand him the job again, then all the talk of his maturity off the ice in the playoffs is fabricated nonsense.

The new media has created a divide in which you have to choose which fabricated nonsense to believe.

This isn't like Theodore who just won the MVP, Vezina and stopped 450 shots over 13 playoff games.

He has ZERO leverage in the matter. The miniscule amount that he can squeeze on this contract pales in comparison to the damage he could wreak on his 2011 season and his destroyed reputation in Montreal.

If Price thinks the fans have been mean to him in the past it will be nothing to what they will be if he tries to hold out for a bigger paycheck. If he wants to hold out to demand a trade Id NEVER EVER trade him. Id let him go rot away in the KHL or something if he has become that arrogant and high on himself.

I really think Price's agent is screwing his client, the Habs fans in all their wisdom are still fresh in their hate of the Halak trade and will do anything, including getting on Price for the smallest reason to justify their anger, he needs to stop talking to the media unless it's a "deal done". Both sides need to get into a room and settle this, get this contract done so the fans and media can cool their horses. It's not an overly big deal for me that length of the contract talks, but there are a lot of fans/media who mistake talks for Price holding out for some high value money.

The fans don't realize that they are going to be the biggest factor this season in how montreal plays, if they get on Eller or Price (or schultz if he makes the team) because their seemingly lust for the lose of Halak, they could end up booing the players right out of Montreal..out of the playoffs out of contention again. I'd like to boast to my friends that the habs have the best fans of any team, and that their anger is from their passion for the team, but when I see SO many uneducated opinions on pages like TSNs your call, sportsnet.ca, etc it makes me rethink it. The people on this forum are well educated about more than the top layer of the onion known as the Montreal Canadiens and I enjoy the debates here, do others feel like the fanbase has fallen out of top 5 in the league in knowledge? This is sort of off topic, but it just popped into my head as I was writing.

I really think Price's agent is screwing his client, the Habs fans in all their wisdom are still fresh in their hate of the Halak trade and will do anything, including getting on Price for the smallest reason to justify their anger, he needs to stop talking to the media unless it's a "deal done". Both sides need to get into a room and settle this, get this contract done so the fans and media can cool their horses. It's not an overly big deal for me that length of the contract talks, but there are a lot of fans/media who mistake talks for Price holding out for some high value money.

The fans don't realize that they are going to be the biggest factor this season in how montreal plays, if they get on Eller or Price (or schultz if he makes the team) because their seemingly lust for the lose of Halak, they could end up booing the players right out of Montreal..out of the playoffs out of contention again. I'd like to boast to my friends that the habs have the best fans of any team, and that their anger is from their passion for the team, but when I see SO many uneducated opinions on pages like TSNs your call, sportsnet.ca, etc it makes me rethink it. The people on this forum are well educated about more than the top layer of the onion known as the Montreal Canadiens and I enjoy the debates here, do others feel like the fanbase has fallen out of top 5 in the league in knowledge? This is sort of off topic, but it just popped into my head as I was writing.

I agree the fan base as gone down hill..Iam not sure what the reason as been because even when we had alot of bad years, i have never seen the fan base this bad...

I really belive Price is being chase out of town by the media and fan base which is werid because his number are pretty good for a 22 year old and i think he as done a pretty good job with all the stuff he had to put up with in montreal..Another werid thing is most fans out side of montreal thinks price is the really deal and that he need time..so that leads me to think that the french media is all over him and that what most of the bandwagon fans in montreal see...

Another thing i was thinking is it all the quebec nordiques fans that jump ship that is causing the problam?

I dont really know the problam but we as fans really need to show our young players we got there back...

If Auld is the habs #1 goalie come opening night then i'll be worried. Otherwise there is no need for all the drama. As several people have pointed out Price has no options, he can play with a decent offer from both sides or he can try to hold out. Which won't do him any good.

I just think fans are too quick to judge ANY player for wanting to get a fair deal, management never seems to get any flak for not offering whats fair, it's always the player should do this..do that...etc.

I just think fans are too quick to judge ANY player for wanting to get a fair deal, management never seems to get any flak for not offering whats fair, it's always the player should do this..do that...etc.

Like I posted earlier in this thread.

If you came off the worst year (win total, losing his job) of your career, would you lock into a contract based on that expectation? Or would you expect your boss to respect your previous body of work as well? The body of work that had you land on the honour roll at Harvard and win multiple business awards? Especially with the knowledge that there are numerous companies waiting for your contract to expire in 4 years to acquire your talents.

Once again the fanbase is pushing forth their insecurity and demanding something that may not be the best course long term.

A good contract is where both sides feel they won. If Price feels taken advantage of, who knows how it plays out long term. If he holds out and the Habs feel burnt, how does that affect future relations.

It is in the best interest of both parties to work something out before training camp. I expect they will.

It has been a long time since the Canadiens fan base has earned the "most knowledgeable crowd" in the NHL moniker. There was a time when an opposing goaltender would come into the Forum and stop 50 shots and receive a standing ovation. As little as 8 years ago Theo got a standing O after giving up 5 goals in the first period to get eliminated. 10 years ago the fans gave Luongo a standing O after stopping 50+ shots in a 1-0 Montreal win.

Now the fans want to boo the Crosby, Ovechkin's etc out of the building for no other reason then them being great players. This season the crowd booed Halak and the Habs off the ice after Game 4 of the Philly series. An 8 seed that beat the 1 seed and the defending champions booed off the ice? That is absurd.

The Habs fan base has way too many parallels to Leaf Nation for my liking today.