Captain

BCHabnut

Well. Carey is here for 2 more, so time for the Captain dicussion. I still say Gionta is the man, but I get a lot of people saying Gorges. I dont want to support dung cherry, but I agree that he would be a good captain. So who's it gonna be?

i also like Gorges or Cammalleri but things we would have to lock gorges up for 4-5 years....

I think a D-man would make a better C in montreal because the dumb favs wouldnt get all over him if he dont score ever night...

If it's Gorges you'd HAVE to lock him up to a 3-4+ year contract before you did it. I'd support Gionta, Cammy, or Markov.

Iam not sold on markov as Captain and i got a bad feeling we could see him on another team next season..aka washington....

Edited by KEEP26

ohh that is a sad thought.... remember back in the days when some of us (me, myself and I) were thinking (dreaming) how nice it would be if AO would not have signed with WAS and came here to play with his buddy Marky?

yes true, he was an RFA... but to quote what`s his name, he could have gone on strike to play with his buddy, kinda like Lebron without the ball or same contractual possitioning.

Edited by ehjay

Iam not sold on markov as Captain and i got a bad feeling we could see him on another team next season..aka washington....

I dunno...him getting Canadian citizenship to me was the last step to my markov worship haha.

This is one issue I can't get too excited about. The main thing is to avoid making two mistakes that hurt us in the past:

1. Allowing the locker room to become divided between two camps for the captaincy. (Remember the Carbo vs. Chelios days? And apparently there was a bit of a Corson vs. Koivu division in the mid-90s). Last season we had a bit of a rift between Gomez ('let's play up-tempo rushing hockey') and Gill ('let's play stay-at-home conservative hockey'). If this rift still exists, the eventual choice of captain could have ramifications for it.

2. Not pulling the old Ronald Corey move of choosing a captain based on PR rather than actual leadership (Turgeon). While I'm sure Cammy has leadership qualities, there might be slight grounds for concern if he becomes the choice - that the team is going with stylish media relations over true in-the-room leadership.

And while we're at it, here are two questions to ponder:

1. Do we HAVE to have a captain? Is it totally inconceivable that we could simply go with a rotating captaincy or else the 'triple-A' model?

2. What will be the method for choosing a captain if we do need one? The tradition has been a player vote. has it been confirmed that Martin will be making the choice?

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Cammy has all the attributes you would love to see in a captain, but Gionta is also a good choice. Either of the 2.

The team has the luxury of a number of players who could fill the mandate to perfection. However, I lien towards Georges because of his work ethic and the respect he has earned from his teammates. I also think the fact the organization has used him to represent them during the summer makes me think he may be the choice. If Markov is selected I will not be disappointed but Georges remains my first choice.

The team has the luxury of a number of players who could fill the mandate to perfection. However, I lien towards Georges because of his work ethic and the respect he has earned from his teammates. I also think the fact the organization has used him to represent them during the summer makes me think he may be the choice. If Markov is selected I will not be disappointed but Georges remains my first choice.

If you're referring to the fact that Gorges was on hand to promote the Winter Classic, it was because he was the closest to the venue at the time.

Personally, I don't want Cammy burdened with anything else but putting puck in the net.

Agreed! I torn between Gorges and Gionta. Both would be great as captains!

Gionta FTW

Gorges and Cammy are great candidates as well

I feel bad forwhoever is gonna have to choose; tough choice

But my pick is Gionta

I don't feel sorry for the guy that has to choose, because he gets paid a lot more money than I do and gets to work for the Montreal Canadiens. :lol:

Here are where I see the current odds at being named captain:

Gomez 1/3 33%

Gionta 1/4 25%

Cammalleri 1/5 20%

Gorges 1/10 10%

Gill 1/10 10%

Markov 1/100 1%

Plekanec 1/100 1%

Habs' C will still be on the #11 sweater..

Why would Gomez change his # early in the summer? Not to have the shock of having a press conference in September unveiling GOmez new jersey with both the #11 and C. That would have been outrageous for most Habs fans. But the way they are doing it, waiting 1 year for both the # and C, and between both announcement, I think the organization and the future captain are paying respect to Saku.

This is one issue I can't get too excited about. The main thing is to avoid making two mistakes that hurt us in the past:

1. Allowing the locker room to become divided between two camps for the captaincy. (Remember the Carbo vs. Chelios days? And apparently there was a bit of a Corson vs. Koivu division in the mid-90s). Last season we had a bit of a rift between Gomez ('let's play up-tempo rushing hockey') and Gill ('let's play stay-at-home conservative hockey'). If this rift still exists, the eventual choice of captain could have ramifications for it.

2. Not pulling the old Ronald Corey move of choosing a captain based on PR rather than actual leadership (Turgeon). While I'm sure Cammy has leadership qualities, there might be slight grounds for concern if he becomes the choice - that the team is going with stylish media relations over true in-the-room leadership.

And while we're at it, here are two questions to ponder:

1. Do we HAVE to have a captain? Is it totally inconceivable that we could simply go with a rotating captaincy or else the 'triple-A' model?

2. What will be the method for choosing a captain if we do need one? The tradition has been a player vote. has it been confirmed that Martin will be making the choice?

I think the only truly significant factor that tips the scales is the room.

We are blessed with some excellent looking candidates from a fan perspective, but while we might pick what looks like a full leader to us, the players might have a different view while appreciating our candidates gifts nonetheless.

So I hope it is a team decision ratified by the coach.

GO HABS GO! (Just practicing....)

according to danslescoulisses.com its Gionta and Markov the main 2 candidates, Gionta being the first

On that note, myself living in Vanc... Luongo gives up his C and his team fire most of the assistant coaches... Ryan Walter being one of them... any thoughts about re signing the ex habs as a motivational speaker just like a couple of years back?