Captain

BCHabnut

Gauthier confirmed today it will be management (I assume including the coaches) who will pick the captain.

It should be Price!! :lol: Thank you, Mike Gillis.

I could be off-base, but I remember reading somewhere that after the disaster of Carbo and Chelios tying in the vote and becoming co-captains, Koivu and Corson were basically in a dead heat. Could be that Habs' management has been burned once too often by doing it democratically.

Having said that, I often wonder if management consults with players as they should. For instance, before acquiring a player, in addition to scouting reports and all that, it would make a lot of sense to confidentially ask players on your team what they think of him as a hockey player. That'd be the most direct way to find out whether he's easy to play against, etc.. Does management do this? Beats me. But they should. Not to change the subject. Anyway: too bad about the death of the tradition of players voting for captain, but there might be good reasons for its demise given our history.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

It should be Price!! :lol: Thank you, Mike Gillis.

I could be off-base, but I remember reading somewhere that after the disaster of Carbo and Chelios tying in the vote and becoming co-captains, Koivu and Corson were basically in a dead heat. Could be that Habs' management has been burned once too often by doing it democratically.

Having said that, I often wonder if management consults with players as they should. For instance, before acquiring a player, in addition to scouting reports and all that, it would make a lot of sense to confidentially ask players on your team what they think of him as a hockey player. That'd be the most direct way to find out whether he's easy to play against, etc.. Does management do this? Beats me. But they should. Not to change the subject. Anyway: too bad about the death of the tradition of players voting for captain, but there might be good reasons for its demise given our history.

If I remember correctly Corson/Koivu split the room and Koivu won because Corson voted for him.

If I remember correctly Corson/Koivu split the room and Koivu won because Corson voted for him.

According to the CBC blowhard DC, Corson abstained from the vote and Koivu voted for himself. Not sure if there is any truth in that, but that's what Cherry said at the time.

Gionta is captain.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hockey/20...31_accueil_POS1

u heard it from me first!

Can't argue with that choice.

Now who wears the A's? I would have to think one would go to Gorges, but Gill deserves one too and I can't see two bottom 3 defense getting them. My guess is it will be Gill (at least to start) and the other A will be a tossup with Cammi, Gomez, and Markov.

Edited by JacksonJ

I told you GIo would be the Captain !!!!!

I told you !!!!

Woooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo

I put in my avatar in november last year. he is a captain.

I will be shocked if it's not Gionta. It just seems obvious. He is locked up long term unlike Gill, Gorges and Markov; brings it every night; top-6 player; exciting player you tend to pull for; no baggage like Gomez; and has the proven maturity, winning heritage and Cup rings, unlike Cammy (whose game I love). It's a no-brainer, really. The only issue with Gio is age. If he loses a step, he may not be a player who can plausibly be deployed in the bottom-6, in which case he will become marginal fast. But that's a minor risk. Time to end the speculation and pull a Jean-Luc Picard: make it so!

I will be shocked if it's not Gionta. It just seems obvious. He is locked up long term unlike Gill, Gorges and Markov; brings it every night; top-6 player; exciting player you tend to pull for; no baggage like Gomez; and has the proven maturity, winning heritage and Cup rings, unlike Cammy (whose game I love). It's a no-brainer, really. The only issue with Gio is age. If he loses a step, he may not be a player who can plausibly be deployed in the bottom-6, in which case he will become marginal fast. But that's a minor risk. Time to end the speculation and pull a Jean-Luc Picard: make it so!

I have a strong feeling that Gionta will not age that bad, just a la Marc Recchi.

I have a strong feeling that Gionta will not age that bad, just a la Marc Recchi.

Oh, I was just raising the only possible problem with selecting Gio - not really an issue at all.

These photos are interesting. For instance, they constitute conclusive proof that Mike Cammalleri is the world's first living bobblehead:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Gall...4376/story.html

as well as providing a great opportunity for a caption contest:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Gall...4376/story.html

Martin: Sorry, Guy, no ice-time until you learn to backcheck

Lafleur (thought balloon): Maudit face de cochon!

• 2 weeks later...

Bad timing to announce a captain. Wednesday morning. no press conference, nothing special. WIth all the suspense the team built up over the last year. My guess is the management were not happy with Gagnon who leaked the news, so the Habs didn't return the media the favor by organizing an event that would have drawn lots of media coverage and large tv audience$$..

It's all a bit anti-climactic for the very reasons you cite. But this may also explain why a big media foo-forah became redundant.

Anyway, the Habs have enough of a media circus around them as it is. Maybe quietly anointing Gionta is the way to go - especially when you consider that 99% of the questions from the francophone media will likely concern Gio's unilingualism. :rolleyes:

Good choices all around.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

On top of that..

There will be noon media availability at the practice facility in Brossard.

(from Gazette's HIO)

Anyways.. who cares if the medias are pissed off?! Good for them. Habs know they can get to the fans through their website. Nice video tribute indeed. I love the part with Gionta at the end! Looking like a warrior our Gionta!

when Kovalev replaced Koivu as Captain.... temporary as it might of been... Doesnt that count? I for one would put that fact on my resumé (captain of the Habs date...bla bla) ;)

when Kovalev replaced Koivu as Captain.... temporary as it might of been... Doesnt that count? I for one would put that fact on my resumé (captain of the Habs date...bla bla) ;)

They don't count Kovy as an official captain.