Carbo to join RDS

rafikz

As much as I enjoyed Carbo as a player, captain and leader I firmly believe that hiring him to coach the habs without prior coaching experience was a poor decision that Bob Gainey made. I understand the confidence and trust bestowed upon him but what happened to patience. I wonder if Bob and Carbo are still talking after his firing? :hlogo:

As much as I enjoyed Carbo as a player, captain and leader I firmly believe that hiring him to coach the habs without prior coaching experience was a poor decision that Bob Gainey made. I understand the confidence and trust bestowed upon him but what happened to patience. I wonder if Bob and Carbo are still talking after his firing? :hlogo:

I love how the BRILLIANT coach Carbo, that tactical wizard unjustly fired by evil Bob Gainey, and who was so righteously defended and made into a secular saint by the stupendous hockey minds of the Quebec fans and media, has been so quickly snapped up by other NHL clubs. It just goes to show what a HORRIBLE, franchise-shattering error it was to let him go :rolleyes:

I remember the 100th anniversay celebration...Gainey stood more or less alone out there, isolated from several old friends whom he had fairly recently fired. At least, that's how I recall it. It seemed a sad sight and a case study in the price that power can exact. Hopefully Bob has healed the breach with Carbo...and Doug Jarvis too.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I love how the BRILLIANT coach Carbo, that tactical wizard unjustly fired by evil Bob Gainey, and who was so righteously defended and made into a secular saint by the stupendous hockey minds of the Quebec fans and media, has been so quickly snapped up by other NHL clubs. It just goes to show what a HORRIBLE, franchise-shattering error it was to let him go :rolleyes:

I remember the 100th anniversay celebration...Gainey stood more or less alone out there, isolated from several old friends whom he had fairly recently fired. At least, that's how I recall it. It seemed a sad sight and a case study in the price that power can exact. Hopefully Bob has healed the breach with Carbo...and Doug Jarvis too.

Betrayal is often impossible to forgive. I don't know how Carbo will rebound from this wound however I haven't given up hope on Carbo because he's a fighter and a champion and will come back with a vengence.

Edited by nikohab

I don't see it as betrayal. Gainey made a business decision. If he felt his friend was wrong for the job, but kept him on, because of friendship, then that would be more of a problem

I believe Gainey's hands were tied when Carbo was let go. I still believe Carbo is an asset that could help the Canadiens at the highest level. Simply put, Carbo did not have the horses at the time.

You get fired in hockey. If Carbo can never forgive Gainey for making a decision that any other GM would also have made, then that may be an understandable, human response, but it's not a reasonable one.

Just as I'd like to see the Habs bring back Andre Savard into the organization, I would like to see Carbo return to the Habs' organization in some capacity (I could see him being groomed for GM some day). But as a coach, there is no indication that he was anything special. He might or might not become something special someday; certainly, his Montreal experience would have given him a lot to draw from in that regard. Like I said, though, the fact that he seems to have been completely overlooked by the other 29 teams since his firing might offer a clue into how his coaching abilities are regarded around the league.

You get fired in hockey. If Carbo can never forgive Gainey for making a decision that any other GM would also have made, then that may be an understandable, human response, but it's not a reasonable one.

Just as I'd like to see the Habs bring back Andre Savard into the organization, I would like to see Carbo return to the Habs' organization in some capacity (I could see him being groomed for GM some day). But as a coach, there is no indication that he was anything special. He might or might not become something special someday; certainly, his Montreal experience would have given him a lot to draw from in that regard. Like I said, though, the fact that he seems to have been completely overlooked by the other 29 teams since his firing might offer a clue into how his coaching abilities are regarded around the league.

Maybe he doesn't want to coach right now. We don't know if he has been approached.

TV is a hell of a lot better gig than coaching.

Maybe he doesn't want to coach right now. We don't know if he has been approached.

TV is a hell of a lot better gig than coaching.

He coached the Canadian U-18 team to a top 7 placing in Belarus this past April. ^_^

I think it's safe to say that he wants, or at least wanted to, coach last year. He left TV during the playoff race to coach a bunch of spoiled teenagers in Minsk.

I believe Gainey's hands were tied when Carbo was let go. I still believe Carbo is an asset that could help the Canadiens at the highest level. Simply put, Carbo did not have the horses at the time.

Agreed. Carbo was not the biggest problem with the Habs at the time...It's just alot easier for a GM to fire one coach instead of trading 6 players!

Edited by Habsfan

On a related note: one of the problems with Gainey hanging around in the shadows, as he is, is that it likely impedes the Habs' ability to lure back into the fold certain talented people whose throats he slit. Carbo and André Savard top that list - the former having been fired, the latter having been shunted aside to make room for Bob and later driven out by his own frustration at being marginalized. These guys are both French and have impeccable credentials as good hockey men; of necessity the Habs should be aggressively recruiting people with that profile. Could be that Uncle Bob is making that harder.

As for Carbo, I'm not saying he was a horrible coach, but given his oft-stated love of coaching, it seems likely he'd have pounced on any credible opportunity that came his way. His record was mixed and he is plainly no coaching 'star' a la Guy Boucher.

He coached the Canadian U-18 team to a top 7 placing in Belarus this past April. ^_^

I think it's safe to say that he wants, or at least wanted to, coach last year. He left TV during the playoff race to coach a bunch of spoiled teenagers in Minsk.

Big difference between a 3 week international tournament and a full time NHL gig.

Just saying that maybe he is biding his time after the Montreal debacle and that him not being hired is not a negative on why he does not have a new NHL head coaching job.

The NHL recycles shit coaches on a yearly basis, I highly doubt that Carbo not being hired is because he is not valued and more because he is living off a contract that has yet to expire while doing easy freelance work to keep himself busy.

• 2 weeks later...

i heard something although not sure what exactly.... related to dandenault-carbonneau ordeal....

some late remarks that Dandy hated Carbo's guts and somthing about a goal and a finger or hand up

anyone care to shed some light please?

i heard something although not sure what exactly.... related to dandenault-carbonneau ordeal....

some late remarks that Dandy hated Carbo's guts and somthing about a goal and a finger or hand up

Coaching is a lot like raising kids, you are going to make a lot of mistakes before you become Super Mom or Dad. Plus if you keep at it you should be getting a lot better at it. As a rule you have to learn a lot more than you teach.

After Dandy was scratched for the first time (this was during 07-08, I believe), he came back the next game and scored a goal and gestured to the bench afterwards.

After Dandy was scratched for the first time (this was during 07-08, I believe), he came back the next game and scored a goal and gestured to the bench afterwards.

Sheesh. This reminds me of what a circus team discipline seemed to be during the Carbo era. :wacko: Three years of psycho-drama. Not all Guy's fault, of course. But things sure are better now.

I see!! thanks sakhab.

on Antichambre i heard that Dandy had stated back then on the show that his gesture to the bench meant nothing... but now a week or two, it seems he changed his explanation to YES it was aimed at Carbo... which the Antichambre cast said was of poor charachter (the lying about it first)

oh well ...

btw I had not seen the P.Brisebois vs B.Hartley altercation in between periods! pretty harsh words from Brisebois! haha