Pauline Marois: Habs too English

Zowpeb

http://sports.sympatico.cbc.ca/news/habs_t...r_says/e5d807cb

<sigh> Lord I hate this kind ridiculosity </sigh>

So ridiculous it deserves a new version of the word.

More to come I'm sure.....remember it is all in the aim to cement an NHL team in Quebec

When the PQ had their vote for the party leader a few years ago, I swear I didn't vote for her. My man, Richard Legendre, lost. He is a former Tennis Canada director and a Sports and Tourism under Bernard Landry.

Sucks cuz I think he would have been a really good prime minister.

When the PQ had their vote for the party leader a few years ago, I swear I didn't vote for her. My man, Richard Legendre, lost. He is a former Tennis Canada director and a Sports and Tourism under Bernard Landry.

Sucks cuz I think he would have been a really good prime minister.

How could a member of the PQ, a party that exists in Quebec only, ever be PM?

It is bad enough that Quebec holds enough seats to be an opposition party!

One prov should not hold more than 1 tenth of the seats, period.

Everyone should get over the language thing, and just be proud Canadians.

I have no idea who this Pauline chick is, but she is an idiot if she feels language is an issue in hockey, where players come from all over the world. It is morons that spout stuff like this that causes the rift between Francos and Anglos in this country.

Give it a rest, nobody is listening out side of PQ anyway. Why? We have all heard it too often.

I think the problem is the Habs need more English players, namely Crosby, Hall, Toews.......

Oh, and another Russian Ovie!

Pile of BS. Keep politics out of sports.

Next thing I will be hearing is that TML needs more players of Arab and Oriental decent to match the population of that city!

How about a bunch of rednecks on the 'Canes? They aren't drafting enough good ole boys!

MORONS! STOP IT!!!!

(not calling you a moron Joe, just the politicians who mix sport in to make headkines because they have to try and stir the pot)

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

....and this Cruzi guy? Are you for real? Wow!

McCartney should have sang in French?

ummm, you can't just take a whole set list and re-write it in another language and make the songs still work, IDIOT!!!!

The English were there too, remember, they one.

Wow! He is in politics? No wonder I stopped following it. I know my mayor, but couldn't tell you the party in NS prov house or the premier at the moment. Don't care about provincial politics in the least, national minimal, international I do my best to avoid, it all gets me too worked up as they are all wacky people, the types that go into that field wouldn't be my choosen leaders out of the general public. I would rather vote for one of us! Better to leave that topic to others.

I am voting Green now, have a friend who is my local runner. great guy, owns a used book store and has always been politically active, non partician.

They are the only ones who make sense now. If I was living in PQ i would vote PQ, If we had PNS I would vote for them, I think all areas should have MPs that have thier regions interests ahead of the party's. I would not vote for them if they came out and said the Mooseheads needed to have more Cape Bretoners . This type of grandstanding shakes my confidence in them as a leaders.

I spoke my mind at length about this in the 'What a Bung-hole!' thread a while back. Suffice it to say that the argument is nativist at best and racist at worst. Francophone players and coaches such as Pouliot or Martin are not 'Quebecois' if they were born elsewhere (regardless of whether they live in Quebec). English-speaking players living in Quebec (E.g., Saku Koivu, who did more for Montreal than 99% of these turds will ever do) - immigrants, in other words, albeit immigrants of an unusual type - are also not 'Quebecois' because they're not French-speaking. In short, unless you have both the right bloodlines *and* speak the right language, you are not a 'real' Quebecois. This is just the sports version of Jacques Parizeau's infamous referendum-night speech on 'nous' (meaning francophone Quebecers with ancestral roots in the province) being the voters that really matter, as opposed to 'money and the ethnic vote.'

Besides, the team is managed by a francophone Montrealer. I guess Gauthier is what they used to charmingly refer to as a 'n***er king' (i.e., a local lackey of the colonial overlord. They said the same thing about Pierre Trudeau, Jean Chretien - basically anyone who disagreed with their narrow and paranoid vision. After all, all federalists are 'sellouts'). The Molsons stepped up where local francophone money failed to - and Gilette before that *saved* the team despite the complete lack of serious interest from credible Quebecois investors. Yet all this is a 'plot.' It's just ridiculous.

The sad part is that there IS a legitimate criticism that the Habs have not done enough to draft and nurture local talent (French or otherwise). What is absolutely ridiculous is feeding this into a preposterous nationalist persecution complex that is about 40 years out of date. GET A LIFE, YOU F**KING JERKS :hlogo:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I would like to see the PQ try the following. If the province is going to contribute toward a new arena in Quebec City then the new team needs to be a real francophone team. The PQ should try to require that the only players allowed to play for the new Nordiques are francophones from Quebec.

Edited by Peter Puck

How could a member of the PQ, a party that exists in Quebec only, ever be PM?

It is bad enough that Quebec holds enough seats to be an opposition party!

One prov should not hold more than 1 tenth of the seats, period.

Everyone should get over the language thing, and just be proud Canadians.

I have no idea who this Pauline chick is, but she is an idiot if she feels language is an issue in hockey, where players come from all over the world. It is morons that spout stuff like this that causes the rift between Francos and Anglos in this country.

Give it a rest, nobody is listening out side of PQ anyway. Why? We have all heard it too often.

I think the problem is the Habs need more English players, namely Crosby, Hall, Toews.......

Oh, and another Russian Ovie!

Pile of BS. Keep politics out of sports.

Next thing I will be hearing is that TML needs more players of Arab and Oriental decent to match the population of that city!

How about a bunch of rednecks on the 'Canes? They aren't drafting enough good ole boys!

MORONS! STOP IT!!!!

(not calling you a moron Joe, just the politicians who mix sport in to make headkines because they have to try and stir the pot)

In QC, we call the premier of the province, "prime-minister". I believe that's what Joe was talking about.

I'm a nationalist that has always been for the parti quebecois but it gets me mad as hell to see them taking jabs at the montreal canadiens. I'm pretty sure Parizeau would've been smart enough to not go that road (if he had been sober when questioned on the matter). I'm a pragmatic person that voted YES in 1995 because I tought it was a plus expected value decision. I don't give a ###### if half the players on team are japanese, I just want the habs to win the most games possible.

Edited by Calimari

In QC, we call the premier of the province, "prime-minister". I believe that's what Joe was talking about.

Yes. Thanks Habsy.

I'm a nationalist that has always been for the parti quebecois but it gets me mad as hell to see them taking jabs at the montreal canadiens. I'm a pragmatic person that voted YES in 1995 because I tought it was a plus expected value decision. I don't give a ###### if half the players on team are japanese, I just want the habs to win the most games possible.

+1

Pro sport and politic should not be a mix, never should.

Edited by JoeLassister

Stupid da, as my kids would say. See how little I follow politics?

Should have know PQ is provincial and it is the Block on the national level.

On that note I would not vote for a NS party if they wanted to leave Canada.

Best country, and French, English, Native, or misc import, you should be proud to call yourself one.

What could possibly be gained by leaving? What could be lost?

Balance the 2 out and then decide.

I do believe we need a complete reform of the system so that each region gets a fair say and is seen as distinct.

Local reps in a non party system. My ideal.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

Sports has always been mixed in with politics. Take a look at the World Cup or the Olympics it was always political. Communism vs. Capitalism, Right wing vs. Left Wing, in fact the 1972 Canada vs. U.S.S.R series was all about politics. It isn't just the Maple Laughs vs. the Habs in truth it's always been Ontario vs. Quebec. Therefore to say that politics doesn't belong in sports is ignoring the reality. Sorry, but it's just my opinion.

Edited by nikohab

Niko you're arguing Politics has been in sports forever, that doesn't mean it should be and that is the argument. Sports and politics should not mix, and I find it a little insulting that the politicians think the populace is this dumb to not realize they are just jumping on the bandwagon of the week.

Niko you're arguing Politics has been in sports forever, that doesn't mean it should be and that is the argument. Sports and politics should not mix, and I find it a little insulting that the politicians think the populace is this dumb to not realize they are just jumping on the bandwagon of the week.

I agree that mixing politics with sports is wrong and also dangerous. Unfortunately mixing politics isn't just limited to sports but it also includes movie stars and pop stars and other popular figures that the politicians use for influence. I enjoy the game for what it is but truthfully it goes further than just a game. For example each time we play the Maple Laughs or Ottawa Senetars it goes beyond winning the game simply because CBC (Harry Neal) and canadian sports commentators always downplay the habs and even use political statements. It's just recent that CBC will be broadcasting more habs games than they have in previous years. It's a shame that people like Harry Neal or Don Cherry get away with insulting us and not giving the habs the coverage they deserve.

Edited by nikohab

I'm a nationalist that has always been for the parti quebecois but it gets me mad as hell to see them taking jabs at the montreal canadiens. I'm pretty sure Parizeau would've been smart enough to not go that road (if he had been sober when questioned on the matter). I'm a pragmatic person that voted YES in 1995 because I tought it was a plus expected value decision. I don't give a ###### if half the players on team are japanese, I just want the habs to win the most games possible.

I completely agree with you on this issue. I also voted yes in 1995 (for different reasons) but I don't want any politician touching my Habs!

I think this story is bigger outside Québec than it is inside it. I haven't heard anything regarding this in the Montreal media!