GDT: Habs vs Leafs

dlbalr

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the CORSI stats going to show the missed passes, bad positioning and overall lack of driving hard to the net that was apparent by anyone watching him?? There was a reason why Darche and Moen replaced him on the G&G line.

No, but if he was so terrible he wouldn't have been on the ice for only 4 shot/block/misses.

I rejected the corsi stat when it first appeared, but it has some relevance regardless of what people want to admit they do

not catch with their naked eye. Teams with terrible corsi results generally are unsuccessful.

It has it's flaws in that a player who plays on a shutdown line against the top opposition will suffer because their job is

not really to create shots but to stop the opposition from creating shots. THere are equalization factors like strength of

opposition and offensive/defensive zone starts etc.

People rejected sabrametrics in baseball 25 years ago and although it is a different animal, it should not be summarily rejected.

Validity and usefulness of the CORSI from 1 to 10 ??

Honestly, we don't know. It seems to have value in predicting behaviour, better than simple goals for vs. against. Basically, if you keep getting chances, and more shots generally means more chances, eventually the goals will come.

But there are variables like lead effects, quality of opposition, zone starts, etc. CORSI can be applied at both a team and individual level... for a team level, the lead effects is important (most teams will surrender offence, and therefore take a negative CORSI, with the lead, and the scoring rate of the opposition will be below average). For an individual level, where the player starts his shift is very important, as is the opposition he's playing. I suspect Pouliot's +9 was aided by zone starts... he got put out for a lot more offensive zone faceoffs than defensive.

People rejected sabrametrics in baseball 25 years ago and although it is a different animal, it should not be summarily rejected.

I have no argument with you here. I would say that the conclusions rendered are subject to the acumen of the user, which is not nessarily a good thing. I think it is ironic that corsi has come up in hockey, which for years hasn't portrayed something as simple as wins and loses accurately. Percentage was just to complicated for the average fan.

If Pouliot and his linemates take a shot, miss the net and have three shots blocked those on the ice will be credited with a +5.

If the same 3 players give up 3 shots, block 3 they are a -6.

Their corsi number for that shift would be -1.

It is a flawed stat in that it doesn't take into account strength of opponent or difficulty of shot. It does give you a good indication

of zone time though if the numbers are slanted too greatly.

Ah okay, but it sounds like +/- in that your linemate can fire a shot on goal as you're skating to the bench for a change and you'll get a +1.

It probably has value over the course of a full season (but depends on one's role on the team) but I don't thin it's worth much for a specific game. Maybe Pouliot was +9 because he played a great, subtle game or maybe it was because his linemates Gionta and Gomez were just better than the Leafs line they were matched against.