Gaustad - Niedermayer - Grier
McCormick - Gerbe - Kaleta

Defence
Butler* - Myers
Leopold - Montador
Sekera - Rivet

Goalie
Miller

* - either Butler or Weber will play, the former apparently has the inside track.

Bar's key to the game:

1. Be more discipline. No dumb penalties!
2. Clear pucks when you get the chance from the defensive zone.
3. G and G needs to drink some red bull before the game to jumpstart their season.

Bars Silly

"I'll take swords for $56000"
"Thats S 'words'"
"SABRE!"
"That is not correct."
"But it started with a bloody S!" Edited by bar

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

canadiens.gif vs. sabress.gif

Habs Lineup:

Forwards:

Michael Cammalleri - Tomas Plekanec - Andrei Kostitsyn

Travis Moen - Scott Gomez - Brian Gionta

Eller - Halpern - Lapierre

Pyatt - Boyd - Benoit Pouliot

Defence:

Hamrlik - Spacek

Gill - Gorges

Picard - Subban

Goaltenders:

Price

Auld

Sabres Lineup:

to follow

Bar's key to the game:

1. Be more discipline. No dumb penalties!

2. Clear pucks when you get the chance from the defensive zone.

3. G and G needs to drink some red bull before the game to jumpstart their season.

From the reports I read Pouliot was the only one that played decent on the line and he gets demoted to the fourth line?

Does anyone else find it odd that it was Moen who was moved up to the G and G line and not Eller? Do you think it's too much pressure for Eller to put him on that line and that's why he wasn't put? I'd really like to see him given a chance to succeed in an offensive role, and given that Pouliot was moved out off the line anyway, so it's not like he's the one who's going to be given the chance, why not try Eller not Moen... I mean, I like Moen and all, but he's not exactly the guy with the softest hands... Of course, maybe he was put there specifically to be the physical presence on the line and make room for G and G?

I think this 'demotion' of BP, is more a direct fault of G and G than it was Pouliot himself, sinec Pouliot as others have said is having the better season so far of the three. I hope this is more of a shot across the bow of G and G to let them know they need to play better.

I think this 'demotion' of BP, is more a direct fault of G and G than it was Pouliot himself, sinec Pouliot as others have said is having the better season so far of the three. I hope this is more of a shot across the bow of G and G to let them know they need to play better.

agreed, but someone has to go on that line with them - so is Moen the best person?

HW's Game Preview: http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2226

Projected Buffalo lines:

Hecht - Roy - Stafford

Ennis - Connolly - Vanek

Gaustad - Niedermayer - Grier

McCormick - Gerbe - Kaleta

Butler* - Myers

Leopold - Montador

Sekera - Rivet

* - either Butler or Weber will play, the former apparently has the inside track.

agreed, but someone has to go on that line with them - so is Moen the best person?

I'd rather White be called up, I don't know how you'd mess with who sits and such, but I think White is a better person for G and Gs line than Moen is. Or at the very least put Eller there, Moen is not a long term solution, White or Eller could be. I stress though, that Pouliot hasn't been the issue with this line though, G and G have been.

Martin was publicly very clear that Pouliot is not being punished. This is an attempt to protect him from the pressures and heat that that line is rightly facing. He is not responsible for the line's problems nor is he responsible for fixing them: precisely the message a young player should be sent. I was interested to note Pouliot's comment that this had been clearly explained to him by the coaching staff and that he is entirely OK with it - quite a contrast to the non-communication that seemed to mark the Carbo years.

Moen is a good choice as a temporary presence on that line, a guy I've long believed should be inserted in our smurfy top-6 on an occasional basis. A big part of the problem has been Gomez's perimeter play. Moen is a banger who will make that line harder to defend against. A good coaching move, although obviously not a longer-term fix. The lack of a power game in the top-6 remains a fundamental team weakness.

Not too keen on the removal of OB or the downgrading of Subban, though. Here the message to young players seems to be punitive. Screw up and you're out. We're seeing the first test of JM's ability to bring along Subban without crushing the life from him. Habs-watchers should follow this sub-plot attentively - a lot rides on it.

Damn, that classic Sabres crest/jersey is a thing of beauty. Why in God's name did they ever change it? Dumb dumb dumb.

I would like to see Eller on the G and G line. Not moen. I also like Moen, but I don't think he's first line material!

He's not, but do you really want vulnerable rookies/young players thrown into the pressure-cooker of a slumping first line? Everybody on the team knows that as that line goes, so do the Habs. The first recourse should be to battle-tested vets who can maybe use their experience and grit to kick-start the line. Keep the young guys protected.

Didn't Moen play with them for a time during the playoffs and do a good job?

Does anyone else find it odd that it was Moen who was moved up to the G and G line and not Eller? Do you think it's too much pressure for Eller to put him on that line and that's why he wasn't put? I'd really like to see him given a chance to succeed in an offensive role, and given that Pouliot was moved out off the line anyway, so it's not like he's the one who's going to be given the chance, why not try Eller not Moen... I mean, I like Moen and all, but he's not exactly the guy with the softest hands... Of course, maybe he was put there specifically to be the physical presence on the line and make room for G and G?

No, it's not that odd. Pouliot is leading the team for body checks, so it is normal to bring up Moen, who doesn't hit, on the 2nd line and demote Pouliot on a line that hit... :rolleyes:

Martin was publicly very clear that Pouliot is not being punished. This is an attempt to protect him from the pressures and heat that that line is rightly facing. He is not responsible for the line's problems nor is he responsible for fixing them: precisely the message a young player should be sent. I was interested to note Pouliot's comment that this had been clearly explained to him by the coaching staff and that he is entirely OK with it - quite a contrast to the non-communication that seemed to mark the Carbo years.

Moen is a good choice as a temporary presence on that line, a guy I've long believed should be inserted in our smurfy top-6 on an occasional basis. A big part of the problem has been Gomez's perimeter play. Moen is a banger who will make that line harder to defend against. A good coaching move, although obviously not a longer-term fix. The lack of a power game in the top-6 remains a fundamental team weakness.

Not too keen on the removal of OB or the downgrading of Subban, though. Here the message to young players seems to be punitive. Screw up and you're out. We're seeing the first test of JM's ability to bring along Subban without crushing the life from him. Habs-watchers should follow this sub-plot attentively - a lot rides on it.

Damn, that classic Sabres crest/jersey is a thing of beauty. Why in God's name did they ever change it? Dumb dumb dumb.

Thanks for the explanation CC. As always :)

and I agree about Subban and OB.. I'm worried for both of these guys long term and how things will go with them with JM...

I would like to see Eller on the G and G line. Not moen. I also like Moen, but I don't think he's first line material!

Agree 110 %. Moen will not be effective playing on the top line. Lars Eller is amazing to watch, he's a great skater has great hands and most of all a great hockey mind. Eller must be placed onthe top 2 lines otherwise it will be a waste of talent which montreal is very popular for. :hlogo:

Agree 110 %. Moen will not be effective playing on the top line. Lars Eller is amazing to watch, he's a great skater has great hands and most of all a great hockey mind. Eller must be placed onthe top 2 lines otherwise it will be a waste of talent which montreal is very popular for. :hlogo:

But why does he have to be placed on the top line TONIGHT? Again, this is not some permanent restructuring. Moen is a stop-gap measure to add sandpaper and net presence to that line. Eller has 3 games to his credit. Let him find his feet. Sheesh.

I'm not worried about the treatment of Ryan O'Byrne at all. He's never proven he's a NHL player given a ridiculous amount of opportunities because he got signed to a pre-emptive one-way contract that has backfired badly. He's 26 years old and has played 147 NHL games... it's time we moved on. Alexandre Picard is a more proven player than he is, and a year younger to boot... he really should get the minutes. If we have to dress a player who needs to be sheltered defensively, at least have him have some upside when he has the puck.

I don't like putting Hamrlik-Spacek back together, though.

I don't like putting Hamrlik-Spacek back together, though.

Glad you brought that up. That seems like a strange one to me, too. Put Hammer with Subban and Spacek with Picard (gulp!) or vice-versa. This is the obvious thing to do - pair young D with seasoned vets - but the need to punish Subban by demoting him to the third pairing seems to have trumped good sense here. Of course, I may be failing to consider left-side / right-side variables, etc.. But at face value this looks dubious.