GDT: Habs @ Sabres

bar

I just want (for once or so it seems) is a FULL 60 minute game ....going FORWARD not trying to defend or hold a lead.

They can't score on us when the puck's in their end!

We may have to face the possibility that this team - at least without Markov - is really no better than last season's, despite the benefits of solidified 'chemistry.' If this is correct then we can expect poor 5-on-5 results, frequent outshootings, and difficulty is generating sustained pressure. (Of course, Markov IS a major absence and any early panic should be countered with the recognition that our most important player is hurt).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the idea of sending Pouliot on another line. You don't have to be a great genius to observe that Gomez or Gionta never find him on the ice. He rarely receives a pass from his two linemates, in spite of the fact that he is very (too) generous with them. I don't mean that Gomez and Gionta do so on purpose, just that they don't find him on the ice. For whatever reason, they aren't able to find a chemistry between them. Go figure.

Anyhow, Pouliot playing with lesser skilled players may well help him. I hope that he will keep the puck a little longer and move it himself deep in the offensive zone. That could give him good opportunities to score or make a good pass. Anyhow, we will soon see what happens.

As for O'Byrne out of the line up to give a chance to Picard, I don't agree with that. O'Byrne had the best physical presence among our D in the first three games. His first pass is not always good, but I had the feeling that he was getting more comfortable. Even though I understand that the coach needs to know what Picard can do on the team, I really don't see him in the line-up right now. And playing with Subban is not the greatest idea either, although I guess that Martin feels that the young man will think about it twice before taking any chances with Picard on his left.

I still feel good about the game, but we need offence. Let's hope that the new lines will provide some much needed fire power.

Edited by JCPetit

We may have to face the possibility that this team - at least without Markov - is really no better than last season's, despite the benefits of solidified 'chemistry.' If this is correct then we can expect poor 5-on-5 results, frequent outshootings, and difficulty is generating sustained pressure. (Of course, Markov IS a major absence and any early panic should be countered with the recognition that our most important player is hurt).

I'm naturally skeptical of the first month anyways. It should be interesting to contrast the first two weeks with the third and fourth week, when Markov is allegedly back. And hopefully G&G are out of their early season funk then, as well.

But why does he have to be placed on the top line TONIGHT? Again, this is not some permanent restructuring. Moen is a stop-gap measure to add sandpaper and net presence to that line. Eller has 3 games to his credit. Let him find his feet. Sheesh.

Let's face it, if Moen doesn't produce something substantial in the first period, there will be another player on the left wing at the start of the 2nd. And that skater will be Lars Eller.

Damn browser.. I am too tired to retype this.. needless to say my comments were brilliant and insightful.

I agree with the idea of sending Pouliot on another line. You don't have to be a great genius to observe that Gomez or Gionta never find him on the ice. He rarely receives a pass from his two linemates, in spite of the fact that he is very (too) generous with them. I don't mean that Gomez and Gionta do so on purpose, just that they don't find him on the ice. For whatever reason, they aren't able to find a chemistry between them. Go figure.

Anyhow, Pouliot playing with lesser skilled players may well help him. I hope that he will keep the puck a little longer and move it himself deep in the offensive zone. That could give him good opportunities to score or make a good pass. Anyhow, we will soon see what happens.

As for O'Byrne out of the line up to give a chance to Picard, I don't agree with that. O'Byrne had the best physical presence among our D in the first three games. His first pass is not always good, but I had the feeling that he was getting more comfortable. Even though I understand that the coach needs to know what Picard can do on the team, I really don't see him in the line-up right now. And playing with Subban is not the greatest idea either, although I guess that Martin feels that the young man will think about it twice before taking any chances with Picard on his left.

I still feel good about the game, but we need offence. Let's hope that the new lines will provide some much needed fire power.

Edited by brobin

As for O'Byrne out of the line up to give a chance to Picard, I don't agree with that. O'Byrne had the best physical presence among our D in the first three games. His first pass is not always good, but I had the feeling that he was getting more comfortable. Even though I understand that the coach needs to know what Picard can do on the team, I really don't see him in the line-up right now.

The bolded part is key - Martin said before camp ended that the team will only carry 22 players which means 13 F and 7 D. With Markov set to return next week, the Habs will be up to 8 (barring injury of course). It's been widely assumed Picard would be waived then and sent down but it's fair to say the Habs have had much more of a look at O'Byrne than Picard. I anticipate in the end Picard will be waived (re-entry waiver status would play a big key) but I understand them wanting to get as much of a look at him as they can. (I'm not sure I like it as O'Byrne's been decent, but I see the logic in their decision.)

But why does he have to be placed on the top line TONIGHT? Again, this is not some permanent restructuring. Moen is a stop-gap measure to add sandpaper and net presence to that line. Eller has 3 games to his credit. Let him find his feet. Sheesh.

The habs didn't let Pouliot find his feet so now we have to fill in the gap on the first line. Moen is not a poor choice however I find that Eller's speed and skills can be better utilized playing with Gionta and Gomez. I firmly believe that Ellers speed and skill will be more compatible on a line with Gionta and Gomez. What disturbs me is Pouliot's demotion to the fourth line. Rather than building up this player's confidence they've destroyed it. I don't care what bullshit explanation they gave him it just makes me sick to see how quickly our club destroy's players and then trades them. :angry:

i just don't get Martin. Looks like Pouliot may end up staying back with G&G.

But both Pouliot are being wasted. If Martin does want to get G&G goiing with someone else, I'd rather see Eller who may actually score then Moen. I'd also wouldn't be averse to the following if White can be brought up:

Ak46-Pleks-Cammi

White-Gomez-Gionta

Pouliot-Eller-Laps

Moen-Halpern-Boyd

I really don't see why Darche was signed, Keep Pyatt as the extra guy who can platoon with the other true 4th liners and that may keep Moen motivated to consistently perform or he can sit in the press box.

The 4th line, should be with 4th liners. I'd like to see Pouliot and Eller together with Laps as the shit disturber.

At least they have got some chances on the PP.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Not so far.. pretty tight, low shots..

meanwhile, the Leafs are ripping up the isles.. Komi has one, MacArthur has his 5th of the season...

Why can't our brilliant coach get the effort level out off the arguably more talented Habs that Wilson seems to be getting out of his team.

Our young guys are doing nothing, most of our vets are doing nothing.. Pouliot and Ellar need to start showing they are more then potentials. Our Vets needs to start showing they are worth even close to their salaries.

Sorry if this sounds pessimistic, it is early in the season, but I don't see any reason to think we are better.

Go Habs Go!!! Should be an exciting game.

ping! off the post and in PP goal.. gorges is looking to take the scoring title for the canadiens this year, ... GO HABS GO!

2-0 les Canadiens.

Edited by Chips

Well we got the lead going into the third. Price hasnt been too busy. I expect that to change. I'm starting to worry for Subban a bit. He makes mistakes out there quite a bit. Iguess i just have to remember that he's a rookie and he'll turn things around.

crap... 2-1 habs... 16mins left in the third.. Roy scores for buf.

We need to be better around our own net and clear out the players and pucks.

4 seconds left in the third..

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

HABS WIN !

woo hoo !

thank God... that was a nail biter. I need a drink.

GO HABS GO!