Tips on finding video of old games?

zumpano21

I've been dying to get myself a DVD copy of Game 2 from the 1993 Stanley Cup Final against the Kings but can't find an advertised copy anywhere. Does anyone have an idea of how to best get one?

Not a DVD copy. It is still a travesty that it was not included on the Greatest games package. How Game 5 made it and not 2 is beyond me.

If you want vintage games NHL Gamecenter has a ton for $4.95 a month, itunes also has some games.

Not a DVD copy. It is still a travesty that it was not included on the Greatest games package. How Game 5 made it and not 2 is beyond me.

If you want vintage games NHL Gamecenter has a ton for $4.95 a month, itunes also has some games.

Yep, arguably the greatest Habs game of the post-dynasty era and one of the greatest single games in all of league history...but not according to the ignorant fans who opted for the Winter Classic over that :rolleyes:

Yep, arguably the greatest Habs game of the post-dynasty era and one of the greatest single games in all of league history...but not according to the ignorant fans who opted for the Winter Classic over that :rolleyes:

I know. A hat trick from a defenseman, the only in league history in the Stanley Cup Finals.

The McSorley illegal stick, the Habs tying it with just over a minute after Demers has the balls to pull Roy

with the season on the line and Desjardins winning it minutes into overtime.

It had 90% of the drama of the Cherry too many men game, yet is virtually ignored for some reason.

The only thing it lacked in regards to the Boston/Montreal game was the rivalry, everything else was there.

If they lost that game, it was probably lights out on the season.

Edited by Wamsley01

I know. A hat trick from a defenseman, the only in league history in the Stanley Cup Finals.

The McSorley illegal stick, the Habs tying it with just over a minute after Demers has the balls to pull Roy

with the season on the line and Desjardins winning it minutes into overtime.

It had 90% of the drama of the Cherry too many men game, yet is virtually ignored for some reason.

The only thing it lacked in regards to the Boston/Montreal game was the rivalry, everything else was there.

If they lost that game, it was probably lights out on the season.

Yeah, as you may recall from previous rants, I was there, doing standing room at the old Forum. It was bedlam - a win for the ages (not to mention the most dramatic mood swing of my life!). No question, that series would have been over if we'd headed back to LA down by two.

As I've said many times, if that had been a Leafs win, it would have instantly gone down as One of The Greatest Playoff Games of All Time, and the McSorley Stick Incident would be infamous among even casual hockey fans. Clips from that game would be shown over and over. And people would casually refer to 'Desjardin's unforgettable hat trick in 1993.' Instead you have to actually sit and explain to people what happened. That that game is not universally recognized is an absolute sin.

It's interesting to speculate on why it is so ignored. Obviously the Toronto-centric media and especially the CBC are a big part of the problem; they were so hyped-up about Toronto's playoff run and the possibility of a Habs-Toronto Final that the actual Finals were more about having the air let out of Toronto's balloon than anything else. In other words, they couldn't stop talking about Gilmour's Game 7 long enough to recognize a truly significant event when it happened. A compounding factor is that Don Cherry, who would have had the power to single-handedly turn Game 2 into an epic event, had denigraded the Canadiens through the entire playoff and had a vested emotional interest in dwelling on other things.

But I think more to the point is that Game 2 doesn't fit with the prefabricated Media Narrative about the 1993 Habs being a mediocre team that Patrick Roy single-handedly carried on his back to the title. In point of fact, Game 2 was a supreme example of a stupendous offensive performance by Desjardins and unbelievably ballsy coaching by Jacques Demers. But truly focusing on that would have involved changing the narrative - easier to just say 'wow' and then keep droning on about Patrick Roy.

In short it's a great illustration of both the effect that the media's emotional investment (or lack thereof) in an event can have on wider public understanding, and in the impact of media framing. Pathetic levels of public ignorance are the net result.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Yeah, as you may recall from previous rants, I was there, doing standing room at the old Forum. It was bedlam - a win for the ages (not to mention the most dramatic mood swing of my life!). No question, that series would have been over if we'd headed back to LA down by two.

As I've said many times, if that had been a Leafs win, it would have instantly gone down as One of The Greatest Playoff Games of All Time, and the McSorley Stick Incident would be infamous among even casual hockey fans. Clips from that game would be shown over and over. And people would casually refer to 'Desjardin's unforgettable hat trick in 1993.' Instead you have to actually sit and explain to people what happened. That that game is not universally recognized is an absolute sin.

It's interesting to speculate on why it is so ignored. Obviously the Toronto-centric media and especially the CBC are a big part of the problem; they were so hyped-up about Toronto's playoff run and the possibility of a Habs-Toronto Final that the actual Finals were more about having the air let out of Toronto's balloon than anything else. In other words, they couldn't stop talking about Gilmour's Game 7 long enough to recognize a truly significant event when it happened. A compounding factor is that Don Cherry, who would have had the power to single-handedly turn Game 2 into an epic event, had denigraded the Canadiens through the entire playoff and had a vested emotional interest in dwelling on other things.

But I think more to the point is that Game 2 doesn't fit with the prefabricated Media Narrative about the 1993 Habs being a mediocre team that Patrick Roy single-handedly carried on his back to the title. In point of fact, Game 2 was a supreme example of a stupendous offensive performance by Desjardins and unbelievably ballsy coaching by Jacques Demers. But truly focusing on that would have involved changing the narrative - easier to just say 'wow' and then keep droning on about Patrick Roy.

In short it's a great illustration of both the effect that the media's emotional investment (or lack thereof) in an event can have on wider public understanding, and in the impact of media framing. Pathetic levels of public ignorance are the net result.

I am willing to bet that if you remove Canadiens fans and Leaf fans from the equation and asked the rest of Canada,

they would remember the Borechevsky goal more than Desjardins hat trick.

• 2 weeks later...

So....I signed up for the NHL vault service which has a few games from the 1993 Cup run. Currently they have the following games:

Round 1 - Habs vs Nordiques

Game 1

Game 3

Game 5

Round 2 - Habs vs Sabres

Game 4

Round 3 - Habs vs Islanders

Game 3

Game 5

Round 4 - Habs vs Kings

Game 5

The good news is that I sent NHL Vault an email requesting that they archive Game 2 of the Final - and it looks like it's going to happen.

I'll keep you updated.

So....I signed up for the NHL vault service which has a few games from the 1993 Cup run. Currently they have the following games:

Round 1 - Habs vs Nordiques

Game 1

Game 3

Game 5

Round 2 - Habs vs Sabres

Game 4

Round 3 - Habs vs Islanders

Game 3

Game 5

Round 4 - Habs vs Kings

Game 5

The good news is that I sent NHL Vault an email requesting that they archive Game 2 of the Final - and it looks like it's going to happen.

I'll keep you updated.

Awesome, I have a subscription to the vault, so I will be in on that.