O'Byrne traded to Colorado

dlbalr

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian, timely poll you had about O'Byrne.

Too bad to see him go. He had a slow progression and set backs, but he definitely has what it takes to have a good NHL career. It's sad he couldn't make the team. In the end, we'll miss dman of his type, especially when Gill is gone. Big tall dman who can play physical. Sorry to see him go.

Good quote from Bob McKenzie (via Twitter): Bournvial scouting report: Smart, hard-working 2-way forward with hockey sense/character. On radar for Team Canada/WJC. Will get a look.

If he were to make it, there could be as many as 3 Hab prospects (Leblanc, Gallagher the others) on the WJC team. Not too shabby...

Good for Ryan. Tons of injuries going on in Colorado, they've called up several of their top prospects from the AHL to fill in, so he's going to get some good playing time. Big chance for him to prove his critics wrong.

Nice article Brian, and very timely too ! I'll add that the Gazette's writers commented on the likelihood of O'Byrne being moved during their Habsinsideout Puckcast that was released yesterday. I'll bet they never expected it would happen that soon.

I seem to recall that Bournival impressed a lot of NHL teams at the Combine last May. Since fitness / athleticism is a big factor for Trevor Timmins, it makes sense that they would request a player like Bournival. I believe this is a decent trade, since the Habs could use more forward prospects, and O'Byrne will get a chance to play in Colorado, a western conference team that the Habs rarely see.

I hate to see O'Byrne go, but I guess that Gauthier felt Weber, Carle, Henry or even Brendan Nash and St. Denis would be able to fill the gap if there were a couple of injured defensemen at the same time during the season. And let's face it: obviously Picard played well enough to be the first to play if Martin needs him.

But now that O'Byrne is gone, it means that there is some space for another player in the line-up. Who will be recall guys?

White, Palushaj, Max Pax or Desharnais?

Talking about Bournival, he sounds like a very mature and focused young guy in the interview available on Habs Inside Out. He has got good size too. Of course, he won't get a chance to play with the Habs before two or three years, but I like to see among the prospects.

I hate to see O'Byrne go, but I guess that Gauthier felt Weber, Carle, Henry or even Brendan Nash and St. Denis would be able to fill the gap if there were a couple of injured defensemen at the same time during the season. And let's face it: obviously Picard played well enough to be the first to play if Martin needs him.

But now that O'Byrne is gone, it means that there is some space for another player in the line-up. Who will be recall guys?

White, Palushaj, Max Pax or Desharnais?

I suspect a lot of people in Quebec will be pleased to see the acquisition of a local kid. Plus, it now leaves ample room for the Canadiens to call up a player. With Patches recent comments, not sure I'd want to reward him with a prompt call up. Desharnais or Palushaj could help bring a bit more scoring to the lineup. Palu has more size but Desharnais has the better scoring touch. In any case, Lapierre on a second line, like Moen, Pyatt or Boyd, leaves me underwhelmed.

Oh, and good job being on top of the story Brian.

I would not anticipate any call up soon to be honest. You may remember from camp that the Habs said then that their intentions were to carry a 22-man roster when all were healthy. Now Picard/Boyd are the lone scratches, both are competent fill-ins when necessary. May as well save the cap space while they can in case the injury bug strikes later.

This is an encouraging read:

http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thest...e&x_id=1897

This looks like a potential steal for Montreal, at first glance.

He's also in pretty good shape apparently, according to the combine results - Tinordi's in here as well which is even nicer.

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2010/5/30/14...fitness-testing

He's also in pretty good shape apparently, according to the combine results - Tinordi's in here as well which is even nicer.

Good find, Brian. Very interesting that Tinordi and Bournival are both all over those results.

I expected him to get traded for a 5th or 6th round pick.

This prospect sounds like a bottom 6er but it's still good value for a player that was just taking up our cap space.

Now we have the cap space to potentially make an upgrade (Bieksa?), don't we?

A breathing body in return is a steal.

Nothing against O'Byrne, but he 26 years old and has had numerous opportunities to make the team at

a position where the Habs find themselves with plenty of depth.

I assumed they would lose him to the waiver wire, so THIS IS A steal in my eyes.

Dissapointing. Not the trade, which is excellent, but the fact that O'Byrne has to be dealt away for a 3rd rounder because he never reached the expectations and never earned a real spot on a, face it, not that great and deep dmen squad over the years.

Dissapointing. Not the trade, which is excellent, but the fact that O'Byrne has to be dealt away for a 3rd rounder because he never reached the expectations and never earned a real spot on a, face it, not that great and deep dmen squad over the years.

Think of it this way.

We now have a new prospect that we can overrate :)

Not a terribly significant trade - a potential bottom-pairing defenceman for a potential bottom-6 forward - but given cap considerations and OB's redundancy I'd rate this as sound asset-management by a GM who is quietly fulfilling his profile as a maker of small, intelligent deals that gradually improve a team.

I used to think OB would amount to something, but repeatedly watching his apparent inability to rise above obstacles (to perform when things weren't optimal), coupled with JM's obvious conclusion that this guy was not a significant talent, led me to conclude otherwise. Happy we got back a player who seems to fit exactly the identity that this organization is building: smart, committed hockey players (Plekanec is the archetype of this vision of the Habs). Too bad he isn't bigger, though; he also fits the team identity in that other respect :rolleyes:

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Think of it this way.

We now have a new prospect that we can overrate :)

On one hand I am dissapointed that O'byrne didn't get a better shake. I wish him well and expect he is in a lot better spot, not to mention a lot closer to home. Having said that, our new acquistion looks promising and buys us time. I think this is win win.

I'm saddened to see someone with such great potential walk away from the Habs, but as many have stated, OB was given numerous chances to succeed and fell well short of the mark. Still, one must take into account the sheer bad luck that OB has endured over the past year, and I for one, wouldn't be surprised if he flourished in a new environment. I wish him the best of luck, and I'm ecstatic that we actually got a decent prospect back in return.

My burning question is now: who will shoot the puck over the glass on a regular basis?

Great Potential? What are you guys talking about. We are talking about O'Byrne correct? He is a big guy who can't skate very well, doesn't pass very well, doesn't shoot very well and is already 26 years old. He isn't even a prospect anymore. He is a number 8 Damn in a sport that dresses 6. He couldn''t even beat out Picard who is a juorneyman defenseman.

They got a young prospect in return. it's not a big deal.

My burning question is now: who will shoot the puck over the glass on a regular basis?

My guess those responsibilities will be handed over to Spacek. Knowing Martin he will prob reward him for it. Martin just doesn't like giving the kids a chance. I think if Martin would of actually let him stay in the line-up on a regular basis he could become a decent defensman for us. Prob a number 5 or 6. He would turn into a Hal Gill. Its not a huge deal since we still have lots of D-man as prospects but i will miss his big body, even if he didnt use it as much as we wanted.

Edited by Habsfan84