Good decisions equal great results!

REV-G

I think we're seen enough so far to conclude that we again have good potential this year. Whether we can keep winning at this pace remains to be seen. But I think we can see we have the potential to have another great run this year. We understand that hindsight has 20/20 vision, but I think our success so far has a lot to do with key decisions that were made this summer and even before that, where just as easily the opposite decision could have been made. Those decisions are now paying big dividends. There are many but here are what I think are 4 key decisions that have greatly affected our success and will continue to help us well into the future.

1. The decision to take a chance and keep Carey Price. So far he has to be the hottest goalie in the league. A league 1st star last week and as many shutouts in 13 games this year [4] as he had in the previous 3 seasons. He obviously is a major key as to why we're winning. Great choice.

2. Signing Thomas Plekanec and not letting him get away. An offensive threat and a great defensive player, he's dangerous whenever he's on the ice and he makes the players around him better. Can you imagine if we had made the decision not to resign him and instead let him go. He contributing a lot and he means so much to us I can't imagine seeing him playing for someone else. Another great decision.

3. Our defense. We seem to have a solid group of defenseman who are working well together. It's a good combination of youth and experience, young guys are playing but also being mentored and they're all getting the job done. Carey Price is right in giving them a share of the credit for his 4 shutouts so far. I hate to say this, because I really like the guy as a human being, but I'm actually glad at this point that we don't have Mike Komisarek on our team. Seeing him play last year and this I'm actually surprised at his poor play. Has he digressed or has he always been this weak? Maybe playing for Toronto has hurt him, and not having Markov.

4. Jacques Martin's coaches and system. At the beginning of this year I questioned whether our goalie coach was trying to change Price's style and I suggested this could be part of the problem. I think that question has been answered. While our PP has struggled it is picking up and I think we're #1 on the PK. And Martin's system must be working as we seem to have a good plan and we're executing it well.

So I think we have to give Gauthier and his team credit. They made some key decisions which have turned out to excellent so far. I'd like to hear if you think there are any other major reasons why we're doing so well this far.

I think we're seen enough so far to conclude that we again have good potential this year. Whether we can keep winning at this pace remains to be seen. But I think we can see we have the potential to have another great run this year. We understand that hindsight has 20/20 vision, but I think our success so far has a lot to do with key decisions that were made this summer and even before that, where just as easily the opposite decision could have been made. Those decisions are now paying big dividends. There are many but here are what I think are 4 key decisions that have greatly affected our success and will continue to help us well into the future.

1. The decision to take a chance and keep Carey Price. So far he has to be the hottest goalie in the league. A league 1st star last week and as many shutouts in 13 games this year [4] as he had in the previous 3 seasons. He obviously is a major key as to why we're winning. Great choice.

2. Signing Thomas Plekanec and not letting him get away. An offensive threat and a great defensive player, he's dangerous whenever he's on the ice and he makes the players around him better. Can you imagine if we had made the decision not to resign him and instead let him go. He contributing a lot and he means so much to us I can't imagine seeing him playing for someone else. Another great decision.

3. Our defense. We seem to have a solid group of defenseman who are working well together. It's a good combination of youth and experience, young guys are playing but also being mentored and they're all getting the job done. Carey Price is right in giving them a share of the credit for his 4 shutouts so far. I hate to say this, because I really like the guy as a human being, but I'm actually glad at this point that we don't have Mike Komisarek on our team. Seeing him play last year and this I'm actually surprised at his poor play. Has he digressed or has he always been this weak? Maybe playing for Toronto has hurt him, and not having Markov.

4. Jacques Martin's coaches and system. At the beginning of this year I questioned whether our goalie coach was trying to change Price's style and I suggested this could be part of the problem. I think that question has been answered. While our PP has struggled it is picking up and I think we're #1 on the PK. And Martin's system must be working as we seem to have a good plan and we're executing it well.

So I think we have to give Gauthier and his team credit. They made some key decisions which have turned out to excellent so far. I'd like to hear if you think there are any other major reasons why we're doing so well this far.

Excellent points. I would give a lot of credit to Bob Gainey too. After all, he has always been a Price believer and the current team is his except for a few additions (Halpern and Boyd).

Excellent points. I would give a lot of credit to Bob Gainey too. After all, he has always been a Price believer and the current team is his except for a few additions (Halpern and Boyd).

Plekanec and Markov weren't his, either? ;) Although you can credit Gainey for signing Markov in 2007 before UFA.

Most of the credit belongs with Bob Gainey. He is the one who made the radical decision - unprecedented, I believe, in NHL history - to completely blow up his existing roster and reconstruct it via a bold trade and then free agency, choosing players with a track record of being character guys (Gionta, Gill, Gomez, Moen, Cammy) who know how to win. Then he brought in a coach who, despite being unpopular among Habs' fans, has this team playing the most sound fundamentals of any Habs team since Pat Burns. JM has the team completely buying in, he knows what he's doing with young players, and has vast resevoirs of experience which I'm sure are hugely valuable in the Montreal pressure-cooker. So Gainey laid the foundation for all the success we're now enjoying.

Gauthier has built on this in exactly the way you'd expect, based on his track record: small moves (Moore, then Halpern; Picard) plus the one Big Move (Halak) that either improve the team in minor but significant ways or else manage assets in an intelligent way.

Having said that, it is still early and plenty of things can still go wrong. But what reassures me the most, apart from Price's through-the-roof performance, is the system this team is playing: completely protect the middle, then play smart puck-possession/puck-support hockey. An entire generation of Habs fans has grown up without any understanding of what it means for a team to have that kind of sound foundation to its game. It's these fundamentals that tend to protect a team against erraticism and prolonged slumps, because success is not about sheer momentum (the Carbo 'system,' which really was a non-system) or the right players getting hot (Kovalev). The structure means the team will always be competitive night after night, provided that the players stay healthy and are committed and execute.

Gainey's goal was to build a franchise along the model of the New Jersey Devils of yesteryear: a team that could compete with flashier franchises season after season and night after night without the luxury of high draft picks and superstars. You do that with depth, player development, coaching, goaltending, and total team concept. It is far too early to conclude that Rebuild 2.0 is a rousing success. But from that start of last season's playoff to this moment, we are enjoying a taste of what the Gainey vision entailed. ^_^ This is the only model that will work in Montreal and it's encouraging to think that we may actually be achieving it.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

but I'm actually glad at this point that we don't have Mike Komisarek on our team. Seeing him play last year and this I'm actually surprised at his poor play. Has he digressed or has he always been this weak? Maybe playing for Toronto has hurt him, and not having Markov.

I was Komi's biggest fan when he was in Montreal, and even I recognize that not having markov to play with has hurt his game. I am sad that he's no longer with us, but he's a traitorous rat and deserves all the crap he's had to endure over the past 18 months!

I was Komi's biggest fan when he was in Montreal, and even I recognize that not having markov to play with has hurt his game. I am sad that he's no longer with us, but he's a traitorous rat and deserves all the crap he's had to endure over the past 18 months!

Hit the nail right on the head about Komisarek however on the other hand we need to thank him for setting up Camellerri on that one timer and oops before I forget we also owe a thanks to Grabovski for that give away to Halpern that led to a goal. I for one was so happy that he signed in toronto to join his idol Burky as he calls him. I hope that toronto and Burky continue choking all year through. :rolleyes:

Most of the credit belongs with Bob Gainey. He is the one who made the radical decision - unprecedented, I believe, in NHL history - to completely blow up his existing roster and reconstruct it via a bold trade and then free agency, choosing players with a track record of being character guys (Gionta, Gill, Gomez, Moen, Cammy) who know how to win. Then he brought in a coach who, despite being unpopular among Habs' fans, has this team playing the most sound fundamentals of any Habs team since Pat Burns. JM has the team completely buying in, he knows what he's doing with young players, and has vast resevoirs of experience which I'm sure are hugely valuable in the Montreal pressure-cooker. So Gainey laid the foundation for all the success we're now enjoying.

Gauthier has built on this in exactly the way you'd expect, based on his track record: small moves (Moore, then Halpern; Picard) plus the one Big Move (Halak) that either improve the team in minor but significant ways or else manage assets in an intelligent way.

Having said that, it is still early and plenty of things can still go wrong. But what reassures me the most, apart from Price's through-the-roof performance, is the system this team is playing: completely protect the middle, then play smart puck-possession/puck-support hockey. An entire generation of Habs fans has grown up without any understanding of what it means for a team to have that kind of sound foundation to its game. It's these fundamentals that tend to protect a team against erraticism and prolonged slumps, because success is not about sheer momentum (the Carbo 'system,' which really was a non-system) or the right players getting hot (Kovalev). The structure means the team will always be competitive night after night, provided that the players stay healthy and are committed and execute.

Gainey's goal was to build a franchise along the model of the New Jersey Devils of yesteryear: a team that could compete with flashier franchises season after season and night after night without the luxury of high draft picks and superstars. You do that with depth, player development, coaching, goaltending, and total team concept. It is far too early to conclude that Rebuild 2.0 is a rousing success. But from that start of last season's playoff to this moment, we are enjoying a taste of what the Gainey vision entailed. ^_^ This is the only model that will work in Montreal and it's encouraging to think that we may actually be achieving it.

Very interesting analysis CC and I have to agree. We're watching Mr Bob Gainey, who was the ballsiest and most principled GM in the game. Thanks Mr Gainey! :clap:

1. Not enough is being made of that fact that Carey Price is being waaaayyyy overused. Everybody has seen whats happened to Luongo, Broduer and LUndquist over the past few seasons where they have been asked to play 70+ games. Failure in the playoffs or failure down the stretch. If they have no faith in Auld, then find a backup they do have faith in. This cannot continue.

2. THey have no addressed the size issue. And come the playoffs, it will be an issue again.

Other than that, everybody in the organization is doing a great job. Nice to see Price regain his form. Espescially since I invested heavily in his hockey cards and other assorted memoribilia.

1. Not enough is being made of that fact that Carey Price is being waaaayyyy overused. Everybody has seen whats happened to Luongo, Broduer and LUndquist over the past few seasons where they have been asked to play 70+ games. Failure in the playoffs or failure down the stretch. If they have no faith in Auld, then find a backup they do have faith in. This cannot continue.

2. THey have no addressed the size issue. And come the playoffs, it will be an issue again.

Other than that, everybody in the organization is doing a great job. Nice to see Price regain his form. Espescially since I invested heavily in his hockey cards and other assorted memoribilia.

Actually, I agree with both of your points and - importantly - the balanced way in which you make them. I've seen the Luongo scenario close up, where it just never seems to be the 'right game' to dress the backup; and the Habs are doing exactly the same thing with Price. Those who point to his being 23 years old should remember that he cited exhaustion for his meltdown in the 2008 playoffs. No goalie can thrive playing 100 high-pressure games per season. If we want a deep run, Price needs to be adequately rested just like any other goalie.

And as for size, I think it was Eric Engels who rated us the best team in hockey against 'east-west' teams, but we remain in tough against clubs with size that play that old up-and-down, crash-and-bang north-south style. Trouble is, there's no easy fix for this. We need size in the top 6. Unless MaxPac suddenly emerges, good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Actually, I agree with both of your points and - importantly - the balanced way in which you make them. I've seen the Luongo scenario close up, where it just never seems to be the 'right game' to dress the backup; and the Habs are doing exactly the same thing with Price. Those who point to his being 23 years old should remember that he cited exhaustion for his meltdown in the 2008 playoffs. No goalie can thrive playing 100 high-pressure games per season. If we want a deep run, Price needs to be adequately rested just like any other goalie.

And as for size, I think it was Eric Engels who rated us the best team in hockey against 'east-west' teams, but we remain in tough against clubs with size that play that old up-and-down, crash-and-bang north-south style. Trouble is, there's no easy fix for this. We need size in the top 6. Unless MaxPac suddenly emerges, good luck with that. :rolleyes:

Luongo and Brodeur didn't struggle with that workload at 23 years old.

When is a rest adequate? Why didn't Price suffer from exhaustion at 19 when he played 70+ games most of which

were high pressure for the juniors, Tri-City and Hamilton?

The year we cite him for exhaustion saw him play 62 games. 52 with the Habs and 10 with the Bulldogs. When do we

go back and count the games? The Calendar year? Because if he we do that, Price has only played 34 games since

January 1st 2010.

No goalie can thrive under 100 high-pressure games, because no goalie has ever done that. The most Brodeur

played in a season was 97 games. He won the Stanley Cup playing 95 games as well as 97 games.

This is fear based and not really based on anything tangible. Is there any record of 23 year old goaltenders who

collapsed from exhaustion and their play declined dramatically?

The success of the Canadiens will be limited if Price has to be the biggest difference in the playoffs.

Edited by Wamsley01

The size issue has been a problem for a while. I'm not saying everyone has to be a hulk, but we do need at least one more top 6 that can crash and break through defense. I have been saying this for a while, but it just seems to kill the thread everytime I bring it up.

The size issue has been a problem for a while. I'm not saying everyone has to be a hulk, but we do need at least one more top 6 that can crash and break through defense. I have been saying this for a while, but it just seems to kill the thread everytime I bring it up.

I completely agree with you. I don't mind having a Gionta, Plex and Camms on our top six forwards, as long as the other three guys are bigger and stronger...we need some balance. AK46 is not what I'd call big, but he is solid on his skates and can dish it out with the best of them. Gomer is under 6' and weighs about 185, which is small in today's NHL, and the 6th forward seems to alternate, but none of the guys we've seen as the 6th forward this year has the required attributes to do the job well. Either they have the size(but are too soft - Pouliot) or they have the size (but lack the scoring touch - Moen).

I suspect the reason it "kills" threads is because everybody agrees that it would be nice to have a Scott Hartnell-type in the top-6. This certainly would help. The problem lies in acquiring one. That's the trouble - Milan Lucics don't grow on trees (although sometimes it's nice to imagine Lucic hanging from one ^_^ )

As things are, Montreal can beat every team in the playoffs but have no realistic chance against Philly. When Philly goes into shutdown mode, Montreal can go the entire game without generating a single scoring chance. Without another (preferably big) top 6 forward, I can't see Montreal beating them this year. Fortunately, our window should still be open for a while longer so there's not that much pressure to win the Cup this year (or expectations).

As things are, Montreal can beat every team in the playoffs but have no realistic chance against Philly. When Philly goes into shutdown mode, Montreal can go the entire game without generating a single scoring chance. Without another (preferably big) top 6 forward, I can't see Montreal beating them this year. Fortunately, our window should still be open for a while longer so there's not that much pressure to win the Cup this year (or expectations).

Boston can do shutdown mode pretty good too.

Boston can do shutdown mode pretty good too.

I am not sure that a bit of success at the quarter pole translates in the need for all those accolades for Gainey and Martin. I think our success is more founded in the superb goaltending and the fact that other than Markov we have stayed realitively healthy. I do believe that we are getting bigger up front thankfully, but have a ways to go.

It may just be a reality of today's NHL that most teams have identifiable weaknesses, and that, therefore, most teams will have a couple of opponents that are constructed in a way that lets them exploit those weaknesses and are thus just a horrible match-up for them. Take Vancouver vs. Chicago. No matter what the Canucks do - and this is the third season running that Canucks fans have declared that 'this year will be different' - year after year Chicago just owns them. Philly may be our Chicago: a team that might as well have been almost purpose-built to neutralize the kind of team we are.

I mean, think about it; even if somehow we add a Milan Lucic to our top-6, is that one player going to suddenly enable us to beat Philly in a seven-game series? It may be the case that we'd need two or three big, skilled forwards to plough through that defensive shell - or else the addition of a genuinely elite offensive gamebreaker, who, added to our existing structure, could make our speed, smarts and skill truly overwhelming. Since neither scenario seems realistic, we may just have to face the possibility that matchup will be key for our playoff success (as for most clubs). Basically, we need to avoid drawing Philly, New Jersey (who likely won't make it), and perhaps Washington (who surely will have learned from last season's schooling). I'll take my chances against Boston and Pittsburgh.

As for BlueKross's point: let's remember that this didn't start in october 2010. It started in last season's playoffs. If you factor in those games, it's actually been about 40 games that this team has played like an elite or near-elite club. That may be enough of a sample to warrant tossing a few bouquets Gainey's way.

It may just be a reality of today's NHL that most teams have identifiable weaknesses, and that, therefore, most teams will have a couple of opponents that are constructed in a way that lets them exploit those weaknesses and are thus just a horrible match-up for them. Take Vancouver vs. Chicago. No matter what the Canucks do - and this is the third season running that Canucks fans have declared that 'this year will be different' - year after year Chicago just owns them. Philly may be our Chicago: a team that might as well have been almost purpose-built to neutralize the kind of team we are.

I mean, think about it; even if somehow we add a Milan Lucic to our top-6, is that one player going to suddenly enable us to beat Philly in a seven-game series? It may be the case that we'd need two or three big, skilled forwards to plough through that defensive shell - or else the addition of a genuinely elite offensive gamebreaker, who, added to our existing structure, could make our speed, smarts and skill truly overwhelming. Since neither scenario seems realistic, we may just have to face the possibility that matchup will be key for our playoff success (as for most clubs). Basically, we need to avoid drawing Philly, New Jersey (who likely won't make it), and perhaps Washington (who surely will have learned from last season's schooling). I'll take my chances against Boston and Pittsburgh.

As for BlueKross's point: let's remember that this didn't start in october 2010. It started in last season's playoffs. If you factor in those games, it's actually been about 40 games that this team has played like an elite or near-elite club. That may be enough of a sample to warrant tossing a few bouquets Gainey's way.

I have no fear of Washington. Run-and-gun system, great offense, weak D, weak/average goaltending will not beat out defensive system, average offense, great D, great goaltending. No matter how the Caps do in the regular season, I think they have a very small chance of winning the Cup. They're bound to face at least 1 (probably 2 or 3) great defensive teams on their way to the Cup and I really can't see them just ploughing their way through them all.

I have no fear of Washington. Run-and-gun system, great offense, weak D, weak/average goaltending will not beat out defensive system, average offense, great D, great goaltending. No matter how the Caps do in the regular season, I think they have a very small chance of winning the Cup. They're bound to face at least 1 (probably 2 or 3) great defensive teams on their way to the Cup and I really can't see them just ploughing their way through them all.

I agree on Washington. I took them before the season because I figured that Ovechkin would have learned a valuable

lesson and dedicated himself to two way hockey, but from what I have seen so far, he still treats his defensive zone like the plague.

The Flyers seem to be turning into our kryptonite the way the Bruins did in the early 90s. The only year the Habs won the Cup

happened to be the only season between 1990-1994 that we avoided them.