Habs Acquire Wisniewski

bar

Don't forget updating the front page with the "BREAKING NEWS" tag. What emails do you have to answer? People you share cap info with?

Oh yeah, forgot that one. :) I do get e-mails from people looking for the cap effects, as well as my "regulars" (a few, not many here) that look for my thoughts on trades or hypotheticals and whatnot. I get the odd heads up from a couple of contacts as well, though I didn't get one regarding a possible trade happening yesterday. In other instances, there's correspondence with current and potential writers, plus the odd administrative thing that I get inadvertently. My HW e-mail doesn't go unused, that's for sure.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing now is a forward but Montreal doesn't have the cap space. 13-14-46, 67-11-21, 57-81 gives Montreal 8 forwards with decent offensive skills. One more and they have 3 complete scoring lines.

The Habs still will have give or take $2.8 million of remaining LTIR to use (that's full season cap hit, not pro-rated) once they wipe out their accrued cap space so far (Jan. 31 by my calculation). Since the Habs have gone into LTIR, may as well go all in, as long as they're content with whatever asset(s) they have to give up to acquire said forward.

Gauthier apparently said the conditional pick isn't dependent on re-signing Wisniewski, but rather the team's (and Wisniewski's) success. Interesting. (It's apparently from the conference call, haven't had a chance to listen to it yet.)

The Habs still will have give or take $2.8 million of remaining LTIR to use (that's full season cap hit, not pro-rated) once they wipe out their accrued cap space so far (Jan. 31 by my calculation). Since the Habs have gone into LTIR, may as well go all in, as long as they're content with whatever asset(s) they have to give up to acquire said forward.

I guess I will just never get the LTIR rules. You always stress that no cap space is gained when a player is injured and yet after acquiring a 3.25M player we still have 2.8M to spend.

This is good news then.

I guess I will just never get the LTIR rules. You always stress that no cap space is gained when a player is injured and yet after acquiring a 3.25M player we still have 2.8M to spend.

This is good news then.

I suck at explaining the LTIR rules, I've said that many times before. :) No cap space is gained because a player's salary does not come off the books if a player is LTIR'ed. When a player is LTIR'ed and all accrued cap space is used up, you then can spend up to the injured players' salary to replace him. It's still not cap savings, this is in excess of the cap. Since Markov makes 5.75 and Wisniewski 3.25, there's still 2.5 to spend, which means the number I gave wasn't entirely accurate (long live my many typos today...). As the Habs had accrued just under $450,000 in cap space prior to the trade, it will take until the end of next month before you actually see LTIR credits come into play.

I suck at explaining the LTIR rules, I've said that many times before. :) No cap space is gained because a player's salary does not come off the books if a player is LTIR'ed. When a player is LTIR'ed and all accrued cap space is used up, you then can spend up to the injured players' salary to replace him. It's still not cap savings, this is in excess of the cap. Since Markov makes 5.75 and Wisniewski 3.25, there's still 2.5 to spend, which means the number I gave wasn't entirely accurate (long live my many typos today...). As the Habs had accrued just under $450,000 in cap space prior to the trade, it will take until the end of next month before you actually see LTIR credits come into play.

Right, this is what I used to think. But to someone that doesn't know all the intricacies of the CBA, this is exactly the same thing as Markov's salary come off the cap. Either way, when a player suffers a long term injury, the team does get a chance to replace him even if they are right up against the cap.

Edited by BTH

Right, this is what I used to think. But to someone that doesn't know all the intricacies of the CBA, this is exactly the same thing as Markov's salary come off the cap. Either way, when a player suffers a long term injury, the team does get a chance to replace him even if they are right up against the cap.

Not really though. If a team that's $4.5 mil under the cap has a $2 mil player get LTIR'ed, the team can't "save" by putting the $2 mil guy on LTIR. The replacement player goes on the regular cap (still with the LTIR'ed guy) and the team has $2.5 remaining in regular space. No one comes off the cap, no immediate extra space is made available. In the Habs' case, since they're a team that spends to (or over) the cap, what you wrote generally is the case though.

Not really though. If a team that's $4.5 mil under the cap has a $2 mil player get LTIR'ed, the team can't "save" by putting the $2 mil guy on LTIR. The replacement player goes on the regular cap (still with the LTIR'ed guy) and the team has $2.5 remaining in regular space. No one comes off the cap, no immediate extra space is made available. In the Habs' case, since they're a team that spends to (or over) the cap, what you wrote generally is the case though.

But if normally they would be able to add a 4.5M player, now they will be able to add a 6.5M player, right?

But if normally they would be able to add a 4.5M player, now they will be able to add a 6.5M player, right?

This is where my interpretation is a little iffy. The LTIR replacement's salary can't exceed that of the LTIR'ed player, at least so I was taught. In that case, no; they could bring in a $4.5 M guy and a $2 M one but not a $6.5. I may be wrong on that though, I've had two people who both know more than I do about it tell me basically that and the exact opposite. So, long story short, je ne sais pas. :)

This is where my interpretation is a little iffy. The LTIR replacement's salary can't exceed that of the LTIR'ed player, at least so I was taught. In that case, no; they could bring in a $4.5 M guy and a $2 M one but not a $6.5. I may be wrong on that though, I've had two people who both know more than I do about it tell me basically that and the exact opposite. So, long story short, je ne sais pas. :)

Okay. I get it. :) If you're right....

Here's the actual condition of the pick, just found out now: If the Habs make the playoffs this season and Wisniewski plays in at least half of the playoff games, they get the pick. If Wisniewski isn't in Montreal then, they keep it. Also to note, if Montreal trades the 2012 5th in another trade (which they can do since it's a conditional pick), the Isles instead receive the Habs' 2013 4th rounder. (And there's no condition as to if that pick is traded too...)

Here's the actual condition of the pick, just found out now: If the Habs make the playoffs this season and Wisniewski plays in at least half of the playoff games, they get the pick. If Wisniewski isn't in Montreal then, they keep it. Also to note, if Montreal trades the 2012 5th in another trade (which they can do since it's a conditional pick), the Isles instead receive the Habs' 2013 4th rounder. (And there's no condition as to if that pick is traded too...)

Ah. Easy as pie :rolleyes:

Ah. Easy as pie :rolleyes:

After watching Wizniewskis 1st game last night I have a feeling habs fans are going to really like this guy.I don't hold much stock in +/- this guy is going to boost the PP and that in itself is huge. :hlogo:

After watching Wizniewskis 1st game last night I have a feeling habs fans are going to really like this guy.I don't hold much stock in +/- this guy is going to boost the PP and that in itself is huge. :hlogo:

Did you note that Weber emulated him on the PP. I saw him shoot the puck outside of the target on purpose, just like Wiz had done on Gionta's goal. Sometimes, it's better to shoot for the board and hope for a lucky bounce. Subban and Weber don't have much experience yet. Sometimes, they panick a little bit, lose patience and shoot the puck on the defender right on his pads. Needless to say that it can be dangerous.

No doubt in my mind that Wiz's presence will be good for Subban and Weber. Markov could have been a good role model too, but he is less vocal and probably more intimidating. At 26, Wiz is still young and should be able to communicate easily with the younger players.

Another good thing about Wiz is that he doesn't shy from physical play either. All in all, I would say that his acquisition is a great move by Gauthier.

It will be a great move if they resign him. Along with Markov to a reasonable insentive contract then you may have something.

Markov Wisneiski

Subban (need to find a partner for him) some one like Allen, Regher, in that mold.

Spacek Weber or Gorges. A decision will have to be made there.

Picard or Carle #7.

It will be a great move if they resign him. Along with Markov to a reasonable insentive contract then you may have something.

Markov Wisneiski

Subban (need to find a partner for him) some one like Allen, Regher, in that mold.

Spacek Weber or Gorges. A decision will have to be made there.

Picard or Carle #7.

The habs are to speak with Gill's agent shortly, Markov should recup and sign (unless Ovechkin tells him to come to Washington) and if Gorges recovers he is sure to stay. Best case scenario with what we got..

Marky - Wiz

(UFA/trade or *)- PK

Gill - Gorges

7th: Weber

* 1)If we can't trade Spacek or 2)Picard or someone else from Hamilton has a breakthrough season with the Habst... Then that's who will be playing with PK

lol forgot to add that Wiz has to sign tooo... geezzz

Idealy though it should be

Markov ($4-5Mil)- UFA/Trade, who can play 25+ min just like markov ($5mil plus) [25 min pair]

Gorges (4$) - Wiz (4$) [20 min pair]

Gill ($1.5) - PK ($900k) [15 min pair]

7th Whomever is best of rooks

Edited by CoRvInA

Holy Cow...Bertrand Raymond, on the RDS website, compared Wiz to MA Bergeron. Not even close, and I've defended MAB's offensive contributions in the past.

Mathias Brunet called out Raymond on Cyberpresse about that.

Holy Cow...Bertrand Raymond, on the RDS website, compared Wiz to MA Bergeron. Not even close, and I've defended MAB's offensive contributions in the past.

I wrote about that to RDS suggesting them to talk about it on their talk shows... that article has almost 80 replies and growing almost 90% agree this "editor" has been sleeping with the MAB's mom! Joke I invented that