Mini-GDT: Thrashers vs Habs, Jan. 2

dlbalr

If we lose today, we know to blame lazy26 for not doing the GDT... :)

Atlanta Thrashers (20-15-6) vs Montreal Canadiens (21-16-2)

atl_comp.gif

Ladd - Peverley - Stewart

Kane - Burmistrov - Little

Boulton - Antropov - Thorburn

Bergfors - Cormier - Modin

Byfuglien-Enstrom

Bogosian-Oduya

Hainsey-Sopel

Pavelec

mon_comp.gif

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta

Pouliot - Desharnais - Darche

Moen - Halpern - Pyatt

Hamrlik - Wisniewski

Gill - Subban

Spacek - Weber

Price

Guessing on the lines with Desharnais in, one would hope he'll play. Antropov returns to the lineup for Atlanta, likely replacing Slater; Thrashers send Tim Stapleton down.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going by the Luc Gelinas tweet on the front page, Desharnais is playing with Pouliot and Darche. That leaves Eller with Moen and Halpern. Personally, I'd have preferred Pouliot-Desharnais-Eller and I'd like to see Desharnais and Pacioretty together at some point.

If we lose today, we know to blame lazy26 for not doing the GDT... :)

Whoops. :unsure:

I've always alternated wins and losses with the GDTs, so maybe it's good that I forgot?

GO HABS GO!!!!

That goal was so predictable. Peverley shouldn't be able to squeeze through the two forwards in the neutral zone and the PK shouldn't be taking that hit.

Kostitsyn a healthy scratch.

He's playing. I can't tell who's out, there are so many players I haven't noticed yet.

I expected this, but I still don't get sitting Eller (I thought it would have been AK46) after he played a pretty good game yesterday, which of course means that Desharnais is saddled with a scrub like Darche and Pouliot. :wacko: Why we need Darche, Halpern, Pyatt and Moen in the lineup at the same time when we have problems scoring is beyond me.

that was not a bad play be subban. He had a D backing him up. He had a forward coming back. If he nails that hit it lifts the whole team and keeps the forwards from atlanta with their heads up for the rest of the game.

If we want a D willing to make a crushing hit, we can't whine if he misses one. If he does it as the last man back, then yes, that was dumb.

He made that hit in the last game and was praised for it. A big hit like that early in the game is a risk worth taking. Besides, Gill and Price should have been able to handle that situation.

Here we go again... Subban with famous hit and out of position and Price doesn't make the key save.

Besides, Gill and Price should have been able to handle that situation.

It was a clear 2-on-1 (turned into a breakaway), you can't just depend on your goalie to stop it every time. Better is to make a safe play and it becomes a 3-in-2. Then I expect them to handle that situation.

Great goal by Plekanec, by the way.

He's playing. I can't tell who's out, there are so many players I haven't noticed yet.

Late change apparently, as of the time I posted it, CJAD was saying it was a done deal that he was sitting. Eller is the scratch.

Eller and Picard are sitting today.

That one error aside (and I guess a few from Spaceman) that was the best period of hockey I've seen the Habs play in a LONG time.

that was not a bad play be subban. He had a D backing him up. He had a forward coming back. If he nails that hit it lifts the whole team and keeps the forwards from atlanta with their heads up for the rest of the game.

If we want a D willing to make a crushing hit, we can't whine if he misses one. If he does it as the last man back, then yes, that was dumb.

He made that hit in the last game and was praised for it. A big hit like that early in the game is a risk worth taking. Besides, Gill and Price should have been able to handle that situation.

I agree Brobin. Plus, the guy he hit barely had time to get the pass off. He took a huge hit to get that pass to Peverli. This sort of thing has long term benefit. Guys don't just waltz in on Kronwall in Detroit. As time goes on and teams know that Wiz and Subban will destroy them on that side, it throws their timing off.

Eller and Picard are sitting today.

That one error aside (and I guess a few from Spaceman) that was the best period of hockey I've seen the Habs play in a LONG time.

Spacek needs to go to his natural side. There are three right handed defensemen now. I don't understand why this isn't happening. I think he is in the lineup as left D, but I am seeing him on the right side a lot

Edited by BCHabnut

I agree Brobin. Plus, the guy he hit barely had time to get the pass off. He took a huge hit to get that pass to Peverli. This sort of thing has long term benefit. Guys don't just waltz in on Kronwall in Detroit. As time goes on and teams know that Wiz and Subban will destroy them on that side, it throws their timing off.

I'm not sure. If I took a big hit to make that pass and then the team scores a goal, I would be encouraged to do it again. How useful is it to intimidate a team when they're still beating you on the scoreboard?

I'm not sure. If I took a big hit to make that pass and then the team scores a goal, I would be encouraged to do it again. How useful is it to intimidate a team when they're still beating you on the scoreboard?

Tell that to Scott Stevens or Kronwall. What I mean is that there are probably many plays that Stevens put himself out of position to nail somone, but over the years, forwards feared crossing that line.

Edited by BCHabnut

Tell that to Scott Stevens or Kronwall. What I mean is that there are probably many plays that Stevens put himself out of position to nail somone, but over the years, forwards feared crossing that line.

I don't know if Stevens or Kronwall's hits resulted in tons of goals against. At this rate, he's more likely to wind up on the bench than as an intimidating force on the blueline. Good job on the goal though.

good move by Gionta, but the habs just aren't finishing.

We are getting a lot of shots, but there usually isn't any traffic in front of the net when they are shooting. On the Subban goal, MaxPax provided a good screen, but for the most part, Pavelic has a clear line to all of the habs shots.

I don't know if Stevens or Kronwall's hits resulted in tons of goals against. At this rate, he's more likely to wind up on the bench than as an intimidating force on the blueline. Good job on the goal though.

Did you see Stevens at this age with Washington? He was a crushing, bruising fighting machine, but really wasn't that great of a defencemen, but he did build up his reputation!

As an aside, the habs had a chance to get Stevens for Ludwig - I think it was around 90-92. Stevens was looking for a big pay increase - but Savard didn't want to pay that much.

3 -2 last minut goal :puke:

That's what happens when you actually have traffic in front of the net when you take a shot - something the habs could learn.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Man, this come from behind hockey is getting demoralizing. 1st goal: Subban out of position. 2nd goal: Price not hugging the post. 3rd goal: Moen loses his man. Easiest stroll in front of the net I've seen in a while. Might as well be walking the dog. Atlanta has a tenacious forecheck.

Did you see Stevens at this age with Washington? He was a crushing, bruising fighting machine, but really wasn't that great of a defencemen.

As an aside, the habs had a chance to get Stevens for Ludwig - I think it was around 90-92. Stevens was looking for a big pay increase - but Savard didn't want to pay that much.

3 -2 last minut goal :puke:

That's what happens when you actually have traffic in front of the net when you take a shot - something the habs could learn.

No, I didn't see him at that age but by 1990 he had already had four 60+ point seasons and had been a consistent offensive threat every season. If he's making defensive errors while putting up those numbers, it's a different story. It would make him more like a physical Mike Green. Then again, Stevens didn't break out until his sophomore year. His rookie season he had 25 points, numbers that Subban might match this season (in a different era).

No, I didn't see him at that age but by 1990 he had already had four 60+ point seasons and had been a consistent offensive threat every season. If he's making defensive errors while putting up those numbers, it's a different story. It would make him more like a physical Mike Green. Then again, Stevens didn't break out until his sophomore year. His rookie season he had 25 points, numbers that Subban might match this season (in a different era).

that's like 10 to 15 points today ^_^

These last minute lapses really bite. Dammit they easily lose focus and will cost us the game.

Yep - and since the lapse was by the trusted Moen-Pyatt-Halpen combo - who have looked awful tonight, how much does anyone want to bet that Moen won't be benched by Martin. If that was Ak46 or Pouliot they would have their asses nailed to the bench.