GDT: Pittsburgh at Montreal, Jan. 6, 1930 EST

lazy26

Martin is probably trying to communicate a consistent message to his players. 'If you want PP time, GO TO THE F*CKING NET.' Since Darche is the only one who does, he keeps getting PP time.

Last two games gave us all the earmarks of a team coming out of its slump. Nevertheless, I'm getting concerned about our playoff chances, because - to state the obvious - few teams have much chance of success with 3 of their most minutes-eating defencemen injured. Unless Hammer and Gorges get healthy soon, big trouble looms. (That Hammer is dressed doesn't mean he's 100%, but hopefully he's close).

not much point giving him the PP time, since even when he does get the puck in front of the net, he really is pretty useless. All it does, is negate the effectiveness of the PP, since most teams aren't concerned about covering Darche.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watching the game, I'd have never guessed the shots were 13-5 Pittsburgh. I thought the Habs drove the net well and had the better chances, most of the Pens' shots looked to be from the outside. Desharnais with a rough start, multiple giveaways to the opponents (at least on my notes, nothing like that in the statsheet).

I would rather the habs just fire the puck on the net than what they do. They are STILL trying to be too fancy with the puck...they had a bunch of 3 on 2 and 2 on 1 that were messed up by bad passing. Gill said a week or so ago that they were trying to be too pretty and that they need to start being ugly, I wish the team would listen.

We have the same conversation EVERY season. Habs start off strong. Optimism that they are better than we thought.

Habs struggle mid-season and drop into the playoff bubble and everybody thinks we suck and the coach is at fault.

Habs get their second wind and move into 5th or 6th and everybody talks about making a playoff run and how they

can upset the top seeds. Habs slump down the stretch and the coach is a bum and they are too small and management

is incompetent. Rinse and repeat.

High. Low. Good. Bad. Yes. No. Up. Down. It is all reactionary analysis.

At what point do we follow the trend and sit back and relax and enjoy the ride? An improbable winning streak is coming.

It has come EVERY season since the lockout. Nobody here is going to see it coming and when it happens Habs29retired is going

to disappear again and the optimistic are going to look to win the division. Then when they cool off Habs29retired will be back

and he will blame Martin and whoever is struggling will be blamed, the Habs will be too small and the rebuild will be a disaster.

This board is bloody groundhog day.

Give me a friggin break, where did you disappear to when the habs were sucking??? I'm stuck traveling for work and wasn't here on the forum suddenly i've dissppared in good time. even DURING the habs playoff wins, i was saying the habs NEED to fire Martin, because he sucks as a coach. His SYSTEM consists of having his goalie stand on his head like Halak did last year and Price did at the start of this year.

I also have to laugh at they way guys like you use stats to say, how the habs dominate just because they outshoot the opposition, but when Halak stood on his head, like last year in the playoffs, you go on Halak wasn't critical to the habs success, because the habs kept the opposition to the outside and Halak could see all of the shots. WHO cares that the habs OUTCHANCED Atlanta - Atlanta still had the BETTER chances. They actually had pressure and forwards in Price's face. How often have do the habs forwards make like difficult for the other team's goalie???

You are really good at using stats to back up your revisionist look at games, but show absolutely no foresight to s Last year, back in OCTOBER, while I was clamouring for the habs to resign Pleks, you were discounting his play and didn't see him as an important piece and went on about his career average outside of one good year with AK27. I've been complaning how Martin has been misusing OB since last year, you shrugged off OB, as not being good enough to play for the habs. Funny, how OB is playing 20 min a game in Colorado and is a plus player IMMIDIATELY after getting away from Martin.

BTW, I'm not one of the guys saying the habs are too small - what i'd like to see is some friggin GRIT from this team. I've been friggin complaining about our big guys playing small (I've never seen a guy fall and get knocked down as often as Pouliot). I'd much rather have Desharnais on this team then Darche.

I've been fairly consistent in what I've been saying for the last few years and never jumped on the bandwagon thinking the habs are better then they are. Last year the habs success was due to Halak standing on his head, tight blanket coverage by Pleks and timely scoring by Gionta and Cammy - not the great Martin system you were raving about.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

How come this team has the inability to draw penalties? Is it the fans? Are the fans reactions to infractions actually doing the reverse on the refs, making them NOT call it, as to not seem bias, by actually BEING bias against them/?

Edited by bar

1-1 after 2, another decent period. When Malkin had that breakaway though, I thought for sure it was going in. A practice idea for down the road, simply practice shootout moves. Not for the skaters, but for Price. Let him face 25, 30 breakaways and develop some confidence and/or learn where his weaknesses are, get rid of the flawed technique.

How come this team has the inability to draw penalties? Is it the fans? Are the fans reactions to infractions actually doing the reverse on the refs, making them NOT call it, as to not seem bias, by actually BEING bias against them/?

This is bullshit, the ref is supposed to raise his arm at the same time as the crowd react.

love the shootout final pose by Price@ :lol:

Lets HOPE that this game will give Pouliot a boast of confidence Made a hell of a move and maaged to stay on his skates! :lol:

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Pouliot : "Ok, let's go for Plays of the Day!"

Price : "You're not going there alone Sir."

what was Price's play of the day - the save or the final pose ^_^ Let's hope that its a sign we have the confident and dominant Price back for another stretch!

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Exciting shootout -- it's been a while :lol:

What a calm, and simple play by Pouliot. It almost seemed like he wasn't trying at all, like it was child's play. "Oh i'll just go over here, and woops, extend my stick, la la la, there we go. Cya"

Also LOL @ Price's victory pose, arms crossed :)

Oh man, I laughed so hard at Pouliot's goal.... Totally didn't expect that from him. I think the only person laughing harder than me was Gomez on the bench.

I hate to say it, but Price's pose was lame... and didn't horrible luck befall him the last time he struck a pose after a SO win?

Guess I'm on for the next GDT?

Lame or not, Price looked calm, and confident tonight in net. It could have been the back to back, but really Pittsburg is not as scary without Crosby.

This year Crosby is really an MVP. He really came back focused on seems like WANTS to be the #1 guy in the league. He really looks like he spent the last two summers working on the areas he needed to improve (i.e. faceoffs/goal scorer). I've always liked Ovie, but for a guy that got knocked out the first round against our habs, to have that GQ article come out, just doesn't seem he wants it bad enough.

Our boys were lucky to come out of this game with the Win. When we didn't score on those 5 on 3's in the 3rd, I was sure we would get scored on.

Take the 2 points and run!

I'll be at the Bell Centre Next sturday for the game against the Bruins.

Edited by Habsfan

We just can't score. Currently ranked 25th in the league, goals for at even strength. Tonights another example, one goal against the penguins backup goalie, with Crosby out of the lineup.

Effort: B Would have been an A except the 1st period.

Offense: F, these guys couldn't score in a whore house with a 1000 dollars.

Defense: B-, too many turmnovers, no real complaints other than that

Pk: A

PP: F

Price: A

Effort: B Would have been an A except the 1st period.

Offense: F, these guys couldn't score in a whore house with a 1000 dollars.

Defense: B-, too many turmnovers, no real complaints other than that

Pk: A

PP: F

Price: A

You can thank JM for that! He's a defense first coach. I despise his passive aggressive style of coaching, where he expects our players to let the other team bring the game to us.

I blame the players who can't hit the net when they shoot. When the players over pass or try some redicolous move instead of driving to the net. No excuse not to get quality shots on net 5 on 3. AK46 couldn't even get a shot on goal in a shoot out.

I would change up the lines.

Pouliot Gomez Gionta

Darche Pleks AK46 (until he is moved)

Pacioretty Decharnais Cammy (You have the top AHL scorer and goal scorer while playing together, JM splits them up. I blame JM for that.

Moen Eller Halpern (takes all facoffs)

I can readily understand people finding JM's style frustrating, but I don't know why you'd blame him for the dismal offensive performance last night. Nobody was complaining about our inadequate offence in November. The issue I see isn't a 'system' per se. It's two things: first, players whose confidence is so fragile that they can't even make a tape to tape pass, don't trust their instincts, are thinking too much, and are continually hesitant to shoot the puck; and second, a depleted defence. Teams rely on the D to move the puck up ice, and they rely on the D to keep the puck in the attacking zone and kindle plays from the opposition blueline. When you subtract 3 of your top-5 defencemen, you tend to get dodgy offence.

The first problem would naturally correct itself, but this process may be undercut by the second problem. Time will tell. When Markov went down, I was worried but retained my basic faith in the team and its system. With Markov and Gorges done for the year and Hamrlik on the limp, I'm no longer optimistic. The most likely outcome for this season is a second-half grind reminiscent of the 2009 meltdown (only not as dramatically catastrophic). You just don't win with half your D missing. Period.