Gorges done for the year.

ForumGhost

Damn... If he goes on LTIR, what will our cap situation be?

Not much help there. Gorges was one of the best bargains in the NHL at a $1.1m cap hit. Won't be able to replace him with much at all.

We must still have some Markov money left?

I would assume so, especially since Wiz's price tag is well under Markov's $5+ million. Mike Commodore hit waivers today, but at $3.75 million I doubt he can be considered a serious option unless he goes through re-entry waivers.

Of course it's a contract year too...

One has to wonder how much damage was done by Gorges playing through injury for so long.

I guess the upside is that PK won't be benched anymore?

*gulp*

Grim news.

Cap status: If LTIR'ed (and he will be), his salary gets added to the Max LTIR column (1st page of the capsheet). Basically, they can spend to his cap hit to get a replacement, no worries about accrued savings as they'll be eating that up within a month already. Give or take, it'll be about a full season cap hit of ~$3.5 million that they'll have left to spend once combined with Markov.

I'm gonna cry!

Same. To me this hurts more than the Markov injury, since I did not suspect it at all. Looks like Weber may be a full time NHLer. Or Habs will go get a cheap D man.

AWFUL news.

The positive side is that Weber and Subban will get their chance to play all season. Our goal now needs to be to make the playoffs.

The only postive thing that'll come out of this injury is that we will soon find out what Subban and Weber can do on a regular basis.

Edited by Habsfan

Very bad news indeed.

It was only one game, but our young defensemen looked good tonight. Let's hope that they'll raise their play and become bonafide NHLer now that they have the opportunity.

BTW, good game by Desharnais and Pouliot.

Rookies can hold on for a while but when it's getting tough and close the team needs confidence

for everyone to play their role and not trying to cover someone else.

For me it's there that Gorges and Markov out of the ice for the whole year hurts the most.

As it was short-term with Markov, the group that is there can hold their own for now. Unfortunately, 'for now' doesn't mean the next 41 games plus playoffs. If nothing else, Carle is now healthy in Hamilton, giving them another option if they do have to pull someone up, though I suspect Festerling will be the first D recalled if they do decide to try someone from the Bulldogs.

This is really bad news. Hopefully Festerling and Carle can play well. It's a little scary when half of your D squad is made up of rookies, but we'll see how it plays out. I just want the team to remain competitive. I really liked what I saw of Carle last year.

Elliotte Friedman tweeted that "Josh Gorges says he'd been playing with a torn ACL since 2003. Will get that fixed now too."

... :o ...

Supposedly he just wore a brace that acted as his ACL.

Elliotte Friedman tweeted that "Josh Gorges says he'd been playing with a torn ACL since 2003. Will get that fixed now too."

... :o ...

Supposedly he just wore a brace that acted as his ACL.

Smoley hokes, that says a lot there about him. I've dealt with a torn ACL before, the thought of being able to play through that for that many years simply astounds me.

WOW. That just might be one of the most astonishing stories of playing through injury I've ever heard. It's up there with Gainey's two separated shoulders.

Even more remarkable is that he's been so damned effective playing through that.

What a warrior! I just hope he didn't permanently damage himself by doing this.

WOW. That just might be one of the most astonishing stories of playing through injury I've ever heard. It's up there with Gainey's two separated shoulders.

Even more remarkable is that he's been so damned effective playing through that.

What a warrior! I just hope he didn't permanently damage himself by doing this.

I am not sure that it is a big a deal as it sounds. I played for years with two guys who tore their ACL and continued

to play competitive baseball without getting it repaired.

They told me that they were at no risk of further damage. Gorges said that the problem arose when he tore his meniscus

recently.

I am not sure that it is a big a deal as it sounds. I played for years with two guys who tore their ACL and continued

to play competitive baseball without getting it repaired.

They told me that they were at no risk of further damage. Gorges said that the problem arose when he tore his meniscus

recently.

Maybe I'm thinking of an MCL tear? A physcial therapist I ain't. Oh well, my romantic illusions about this have been shattered. :angry:

Maybe I'm thinking of an MCL tear? A physcial therapist I ain't. Oh well, my romantic illusions about this have been shattered. :angry:

Neither am I, but I don't believe it is a pain threshold thing.

Every once in a while their knee joint would give out on them, but after 10 minutes they would be fine. As long as they didn't suffer

major knee instability they could continue to play without surgery.

Neither am I, but I don't believe it is a pain threshold thing.

Every once in a while their knee joint would give out on them, but after 10 minutes they would be fine. As long as they didn't suffer

major knee instability they could continue to play without surgery.

I guess it depends on how severe a tear. I know with mine merely walking at times was difficult, playing baseball (especially at a competitive level) was impossible for me. 7+ years and being a professional athlete playing without an ACL is saying something for sure.