GDT: Boston at Montreal, Jan. 8, 1900 EST

lazy26

great to see Picard get outmuscled by little Rechhi - I guess it is better having the bigger Picard in the lineup over the defensively inept Weber. :wacko:

Proof why we need to give Desharnais a real chance. Our big guys are marshmellows!

Edited by hab29RETIRED

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, we have a lot of people on this site, who like to throw stats like how the habs are out-shooting their opponents, or getting more scoring chances then their opponents and shrug losses or lack of scoring off to bad luck, but we shouldn't be worrying, because statistically we are doing quite well and CORSI numbers for guys not producing are actually quite good. Its also unreasonable to judge the quality of scoring chances based on what we see, because its too subjective and its also pointless to point out how the habs aren't driving to the net or screening the opposing goalies enough, because, again stats aren't able to validate that. Stats also can't validate that we aren't getting good rebounds, becuase most of our forwards aren't driving to the net and too many times aren't getting to the net until the puck is covered.

As, Im writing this, there is Pouliot and Darche behind the net and no one is in front of the net. Pleks is out there with them is hanging around close to the blueline - it is the last minute of play, so i guess he is trying to be defensively responsible. So if Darche or Pouliot actually get the puck, the can have passing it back and forth to each other :wacko:

It also is pointless to point out that having a guy like Darche on the PP or playing on the top two lines, is hurting his linemates, because the opposition really doesn't really care about him, since he has little to no skill, so the opposition really doesn't have to bother to cover him closely. But af course stats can't actually demonstrate that his linemates are getting closer coverage, since the opposition really doesn't care about Darche, so I guess this is an unprovable hypothesis. :blink:

Its also pointless to suggest that while Gill may be good at mentoring Subban as a veteran, he is lousy player to have SUbban paired with, since Gill can't pass, shoot or skate with Subban. But again, these are all subjective observations and who are we to second guess the coach, because after all, we aren't inside the dressing room and around the players on a day to day basis, so we don't have enough information to judge Martin's decisions, because as the coach, Martin has infallible in his decision making.

It's also useless to point out that Martin is a dinasour and is ill-suited to be a coach in the post-lockout era. It also is pointless to point out that he never won anything, becuase, that really wasn't his fault, since he never had a good goalie to work for. Of course it doesn't matter that last year both the Hawks and Flyers reached the Finals with no-name, marginal goalies. It also is pointless to point out that the wings have won with an average goalie like Osgood. The fact that Martin wasn't able to win with a loaded lineup and could never beat the leafs is the goalies fault and bears no refelction on his coaching ability.

And of course Martin has a track record for developing great talent, the fact that Hossa, Havlet, Alfredsson and Redden were successful under him, becuase he was the one responsible for them becoming great players. OB was a bum, who Martin gave many chances to succeed, and its OB's fault that he never took hold of his chances and buckled under the pressure of his fear of getting benched if he made a mistake while playing for Martin. The fact that he succeeded in Colorado and is plus player averaging 20 minutes a game, is a fluke because OB really isn't that good of a defenseman - Martin knows this, because Hammer, Spacek and Gill have never made as many mistakes as OB did. And even if they do make mistakes, they're veterans, so it doesn't matter, because they have earned the right to make mistakes and are too old to learn from their mistakes or be held accountable for mistakes. :wacko:

It also doesn't matter that MaxPac lashed out how Martin handled him last year, because he was a kid who needed to be put in his place and in the end, it was JM's tough love that MaxPac became a successful player in Hamilton. It also doesn't matter that everytime we get someone up from Hamilton, they come up playing like gang busters and then the fact that their play tails off can't be anything to do with how JM handles them, because its only natural after the adrenaline wears off, the players play will tail off. So JM, is perfectly jusitifed to play Darche ahead of MaxPac on the PP. Stats can't prove that the fact the habs PP sucked last game was because JM has the wrong personnel, because, after all, its the player fault for not producing - there are no stats to demsontrate this.

Lastly, we have no stats to prove that if JM actually let lines develop some chemistry and not break up lines that are producing, the lines may actually play better.

I just discovered that long posts are a good alternative to have to listen to Don Cherry during the intermission :D

Yawn.

Martin's fault. Martin's fault. Martin's fault. Gauthier's fault. Martin's fault. Martin's fault. Stats don't matter. I know better. Martin's fault. Martin's fault.

Grabovski. Ribeiro. Halak. O'Byrne. S. Kostitsyn. Martin's fault.

All unoriginal. All regurgitated OVER AND OVER at every messageboard in the Habsverse.

When you tell me WHY Martin is awful, and by this I mean break down actual play to show me why he is technically a poor coach. The decisions he directly made to cost victories,

as well as breaking things down and crediting him in victories, then maybe people will care about the incessant complaining.

Blaming the coach and goaltending is essentially the laziest thing a fan can do. The fact is, Martin has forgotten more hockey in the last 5 minutes then ANY of us will ever know.

FFSake

Spacek with lousy lazy bat swings.. and what is Picard doing kneeling on a puck 10 feet off the crease!

PG, points are too important to wait for this D to learn how to play... Move PG move!

I was going to add SK74, but ranted enough about how Martin handled him in training camp, but got tired of hearing how the russian (Belarsian) crybaby deserved it.

Why don't you revise history a little more.

SK had issues before Martin. He refused to report when Martin was in Florida. Why don't you use confirmation bias to blame him some more.

######ing simplistic nonsense to blame everything on Martin.

Edited by Wamsley01

either they start playing offensively, or we lose again. This team seems to have no answer to being behind.

Is it our players, or the coaching strategy. I don't know. What I do know is we don't have enough offense on this team.

If someone was in front of the net,we could have scored there. Pathetic how the Bruins forwards get positioning on our D, but our forwards always get to the Bruin net AFTER their D has already cleaned up :angry:

Wow.

Picard is now -9 is his last 6 plus games. Whatta a .............. joke.

Get him outta here.

He's like a MAB without the laser.

Bring back O'Byrne. That dominant defender that was fantastic while a habs (before AND after Martin).

Edited by Wamsley01

Bring back O'Byrne. That dominant defender that was fantastic while a habs (before AND after Martin).

Finally some good news... Picard hurt his hand ona shot from Chara

Also Cammi is out for the game

Yawn.

Martin's fault. Martin's fault. Martin's fault. Gauthier's fault. Martin's fault. Martin's fault. Stats don't matter. I know better. Martin's fault. Martin's fault.

Grabovski. Ribeiro. Halak. O'Byrne. S. Kostitsyn. Martin's fault.

All unoriginal. All regurgitated OVER AND OVER at every messageboard in the Habsverse.

When you tell me WHY Martin is awful, and by this I mean break down actual play to show me why he is technically a poor coach. The decisions he directly made to cost victories,

as well as breaking things down and crediting him in victories, then maybe people will care about the incessant complaining.

Blaming the coach and goaltending is essentially the laziest thing a fan can do. The fact is, Martin has forgotten more hockey in the last 5 minutes then ANY of us will ever know.

First off, the talent that this organization gives up on is becoming a problem. You're the resident stats guy, so look it up. Secondly, maybe these websites aren't for you. None of it is recquired reading, yet you're critical of posts that don't deliver on what you want.

Why don't you revise history a little more.

SK had issues before Martin. He refused to report when Martin was in Florida. Why don't you use confirmation bias to blame him some more.

SK, like Ribeiro and Lats had no business being up as early as he was. Habs rushing guys up has spoilt them and gave them a sense of entitlement before they earned it.

SK had issues, but if I recall, they had largely been resolved at the end of the year. It also didn't help that the french media and patron saint of the habs last cup win - SENATOR Demers (great to see a guy who is ready to hang guys before seeing any real evidence was appointed a friggin Senator), boldly declared that there were actions by habs players that would disgrace the franchise (or someting to that effect). SK and AK were put through the ringer by the media that year.

The following year's training camp was a NEW year, chance for a FRESH start. he was hurt and JM was on him like dog after a bone in his first practice. SK74 actually played well in training camp, but JM didn't give him a chance. He was looking for a person to set an example and came in like a nazi commandant, rather thena coach for a young player. This is not the 70's where Scotty bowman can rule with an iron fist - Scotty even said that and was successful as long as he was, because he ADAPTED to the new breed of players.. JM by contrast, is a dinasour, everyone but the habs knows he is should be seen as being extinct as a coach.

If you read my posts from last year, I acknowleged his previous issues, but was complaining with how JM was dealing with the situation. Why is it the habs have issues with their young players more then most teams. Why is that Ribeiro, Lats, Grabs, Sk74 and now Subban are being mishandled and if we lose Subban the way we lost the others, I will really be PISSED! At least with Lats, we got some return. We traded Sk74 for two friggin UFA's. UFA's two 2-3 days before free agency for god sakes!!!

What's his injury?

Picard is definitely benched for the next game. I'd rather see Weber in there or Carle.

I'd rather see my daughter's Dora doll's monkey in there rather then Picard or Darche.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

anyone listenting to that clown Milbury on hot stove right now. How are MY tax dollars paying for this clown?????? for fxcks sake, how does this guy have a job?????

according to rds it seems cammi has a groin injury

Weber, Picard and Spacek shouldnt play next game...

but what can we do.... weber will no doubt dress next game, as well as Spacek

That is one tough cookie of a game out there. The Bruins are giving us NOTHING. And unfortunately ye Habs just don't have the horses to make something happen.

Gomez, Cammy, and lately even Gio and Plekanec just aren't bringing their "A" games - for whatever reason (we don't know). Throw in the catastrophic Markov injury and a declining or hobbled Hammer and the Habs simply have too much of their core talent more or less MIA. Indeed, all the ranting about long-gone mediocre players (you think Grabs, O'Byrne and SK 74 would make the difference? Really - ?) is missing this deeper point. The fact that our best trio tonight just might be the Desharnais line speaks volumes. It's our core guys that are being substantially outplayed by the other teams' core guys, night in and night out. Until that changes, we will struggle.

Same old story. Your best players have to be your best players. The end.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

That is one tough cookie of a game out there. The Bruins are giving us NOTHING. And unfortunately ye Habs just don't have the horses to make something happen.

Gomez, Cammy, and lately even Gio and Plekanec just aren't bringing their "A" games - for whatever reason (we don't know). Throw in the catastrophic Markov injury and a declining or hobbled Hammer and the Habs simply have too much of their core talent more or less MIA. Indeed, all the ranting about long-gone mediocre players (you think Grabs, O'Byrne and SK 74 would make the difference? Really - ?) is missing this deeper point. The fact that our best trio tonight just might be the Desharnais line speaks volumes. It's our core guys that are being substantially outplayed by the other teams' core guys, night in and night out. Until that changes, we will struggle.

Same old story. Your best players have to be your best players. The end.

The issue isn't the habs don't have the horses to make things happen out there. The issue is that JM is playing donkeys with thoroughbreds, is expecting donkeys to run like horses and is trying to turn his horses into donkeys!

I wasn't concerned too much about our forwards at the start of the year - my main concern was the old and slow defenceman. JM has managed to turn our offence into a bigger issue then the old and slow farts on D.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Can we stop with the perpetual Martin bashing in every thread? I'm not known to have a quick trigger being a mod, but these constant bashing posts are going to disappear soon when it's unwarranted. This is the GDT, discussion of the successes of Sergei Kostitsyn and using that to further an agenda (either pro or against his trade) is irrelevant. He's gone, who cares? We know some people don't like Martin, this doesn't mean every second post needs to cite it constantly.

There is enough going on with the team and in the game that the constant bashing is not required. If a mistake is made or you want to question a decision made in-game, that's fine, makes for good conversation as long as both sides are willing to listen to each others' points, which we haven't seen much of lately. Bashers are not 100% haters, defenders aren't 100% positive freaks. Enough with the generalizations, enough with the perpetual whining.

We're beyond this as a community, we're known to have conversations beyond the level of "I hate this, I like this guy and anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot." Be warned, I (and I will recommend the other mods do the same) will be deleting continued posts of this variety if they are bringing nothing valuable to the conversation and are only made to incite other posters. We're above this, let's make a concerted effort to get back to the high standards of discussion we set for ourselves. We can all do this, let's start now.

Game-wise, as noted, Cammalleri's out for the night (anyone catch what happened?), Picard is back. That said, they dropped to 5 D in the 3rd last game, wonder if he'll be the odd man out again tonight.

Yessir! Price is the only one bringing his A game.

Goaltending really hasn't been a problem for year's here. Since the Theadore era, we always tended to have the goalies step up. Last year when price was struggling, Halak stepped up, before that Huet and Halak, before that Theadore.

Issue we have is with the rest of the team - the one that gets impacted by lack of grit and the coaching more then anything else. Why can't we have guys who are willing to drive hard to the net. You see little guys on other teams out muscle Gill, then we get to watch guys like Pouliot fall on their ass when they are touched and the only guys that go to the net on a regular basis are the ones who can't do anyting with the puck anyways.