Injury Updates

dlbalr

Do we actually get cap relief if he is hurt - I thought that you don't get any cap relief for anyone injured, if they were signed once they are over 35??

Yep, LTIR is LTIR. Philly is doing so right now with Lapieriere and also I believe with Pronger earlier this season. They've done it before with Mike Rathje as well I think. Habs just wouldn't get the cap relief is Spacek either retired or was sent to the AHL.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spacek done for the season? CJAD the only one that I know of reporting it so far, though they're citing a Buffalo source. If true, he's eligible for LTIR; his cap hit would be tacked on to whatever the current number is (I've had to change it so many times, even I forget now...it's on the site though).

Source: http://www.cjad.com/...ntryID=10207590 Couple of notes on Wisniewski in there as well, saying he does have fractures but can play through them.

3 regulars on the D out for the season and two regulars banged up.

3 regulars on the D out for the season and two regulars banged up.

I would infer that Wiz has face fractures; while painful, these shouldn't interfere with his play. That leaves Gill as 'banged up.' As for Spatches, look, half the fan base has been whining non-stop about him being a pylon, etc. - they can hardly now bemoan his absence as some crippling blow to the team. (Not saying that this is true of you, BTH. More that a certain contradictory self-pitying seems to be setting in in some quarters).

Mara is not as good as Spacek, but he can eat some of those minutes. Markov is maybe 65% replaced by Wiz. Gorges has no replacement, unless it be Weber.

This is not good, but I'm leery of the team using it as an excuse. We have a good enough D in place to win our share of games. Cammy is back to help our anemic offence. Time for the team to dig deep and start winning some fershlugginer hockey games :angry:

I would infer that Wiz has face fractures; while painful, these shouldn't interfere with his play. That leaves Gill as 'banged up.' As for Spatches, look, half the fan base has been whining non-stop about him being a pylon, etc. - they can hardly now bemoan his absence as some crippling blow to the team. (Not saying that this is true of you, BTH. More that a certain contradictory self-pitying seems to be setting in in some quarters).

Mara is not as good as Spacek, but he can eat some of those minutes. Markov is maybe 65% replaced by Wiz. Gorges has no replacement, unless it be Weber.

This is not good, but I'm leery of the team using it as an excuse. We have a good enough D in place to win our share of games. Cammy is back to help our anemic offence. Time for the team to dig deep and start winning some fershlugginer hockey games :angry:

Spacek is just a bottom pairing d-man right now but he's still a big upgrade on any farmer that is ever called up in his absence.

Brendan Nash on your team for 1 game doesn't make much difference. Nash on your team for 10 games will catch up to you. We'll be okay as long as all 6 of our regulars are at least competent NHLers.

I expect them to make the playoffs I just think they are going to drop out of the race with Boston and wind up fighting for the bottom 3 spots. At the end of the year, we'll say, "they may have finished 8th but it was because of all these injuries. Next year we'll definitely finish higher," even though we have an excuse every year for why we finished in 8th instead of "where we belong."

Spacek is just a bottom pairing d-man right now but he's still a big upgrade on any farmer that is ever called up in his absence.

Brendan Nash on your team for 1 game doesn't make much difference. Nash on your team for 10 games will catch up to you. We'll be okay as long as all 6 of our regulars are at least competent NHLers.

I expect them to make the playoffs I just think they are going to drop out of the race with Boston and wind up fighting for the bottom 3 spots. At the end of the year, we'll say, "they may have finished 8th but it was because of all these injuries. Next year we'll definitely finish higher," even though we have an excuse every year for why we finished in 8th instead of "where we belong."

Well, my previous post was directed at the idea that these injuries are an excuse for preventing us from winning our share of games. We should make the playoffs with the team we have and with the cushion we have. Now as for being a bubble team, this is one time where the excuse is arguably legit. This team needs Markov, and is well above a bubble team with him in the lineup IMHO, especially if you add Wiz into the equation. It's been well above a bubble team with him OUT of the lineup for most of the season. Having said that, between his contract and his shitty play, Gomez is a major roadblock to this team really contending. He's either gotta get better or go.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Personally, I always thought that this team was a bubble team. Some things have gone great (Price's play) which boosted us into a solid playoff spot. However, injuries are killing us, dragging us back down to the bubble point. I don't consider this team even remotely a conference contender. Yes, we had a good run last year based on incredible goaltending, solid D, and a TON of luck, but it didn't last. Counting on that to occur again is silly, imo.

I am not sure what PG should do right now. What is the point of trading assets for help unless we think we are in the top 4 of the east? If not, we should be building for next year, not this year. If we hadn't lost Markov and Gorges for the year, then I suspect we would be much closer to considering ourselves a top tier team, but that simply is on the the reality. I suspect much of our offense challenges start at the back end.

Frankly, I don't see it this year. If they can dump some contracts they don't want for solid players and picks, then go for it. Mara was an emergency signing, imo. I don't want to trade for rentals to maybe get to the second round.

Well, my previous post was directed at the idea that these injuries are an excuse for preventing us from winning our share of games. We should make the playoffs with the team we have and with the cushion we have. Now as for being a bubble team, this is one time where the excuse is arguably legit. This team needs Markov, and is well above a bubble team with him in the lineup IMHO, especially if you add Wiz into the equation. It's been well above a bubble team with him OUT of the lineup for most of the season. Having said that, between his contract and his shitty play, Gomez is a major roadblock to this team really contending. He's either gotta get better or go.

The excuse is legitimate but every year the excuse is legitimate. Pittsburgh, Vancouver and Boston have been hit by serious injuries and they're still contending for the Cup. The Habs finish 8th every year and then their fans complain that Markov was injured. As you have pointed out in the past, Markov is probably going to get injured next season too. It's something that needs to be factored in to our pre-season evaluations.

I think with a healthy roster, this team is a top winger away from contending for the Cup. But 20 NHL teams probably think the same thing. There isn't much to base my opinion on until we see them at least make the playoffs with ease.

I don't like to criticize Gomes because (1) I like him and (2) he's not going anywhere but he is a huge obstacle in the way of this team contending for a Cup. He's a useful player but his contract is a killer. I hated that trade when it happened but then warmed to it when Gomez proved to be a key player for us last season. Now it looks awful again.

The time to get rid of Gomez isn't now though. It's not like we have an awesome deal on the table for a 6 million dollar player and we just have to demote Gomez to Hamilton to make it work. We may as well let him help the team for the rest of the season. Then Gauthier will have to make a decision in the offseason. I feel like getting rid of Gomez before it's absolutely necessary would be a bad political move as he's a leader in the dressing room, a major reason why Gionta and Cammalleri signed here, and was anointed as a core player for this team just 2 years ago.

Personally, I always thought that this team was a bubble team. Some things have gone great (Price's play) which boosted us into a solid playoff spot. However, injuries are killing us, dragging us back down to the bubble point. I don't consider this team even remotely a conference contender. Yes, we had a good run last year based on incredible goaltending, solid D, and a TON of luck, but it didn't last. Counting on that to occur again is silly, imo.

I am not sure what PG should do right now. What is the point of trading assets for help unless we think we are in the top 4 of the east? If not, we should be building for next year, not this year. If we hadn't lost Markov and Gorges for the year, then I suspect we would be much closer to considering ourselves a top tier team, but that simply is on the the reality. I suspect much of our offense challenges start at the back end.

Frankly, I don't see it this year. If they can dump some contracts they don't want for solid players and picks, then go for it. Mara was an emergency signing, imo. I don't want to trade for rentals to maybe get to the second round.

I don't know what he should do either. I would have claimed Hagman, maybe make a second upgrade/addition if possible, and then feel comfortable that the team will qualify for the playoffs and then stand a chance at upsetting a higher seed.

But the media reports seem to suggest that Gauthier is trying to make a big move. He was supposedly in the running for Stewart and Brewer, and is trying to dump Kostitsyn to open up space for a winger for Plekanec... *shrug* I guess we'll see.

Its not an excuse, its reality. Boston, Vancouver, etc are far better teams with far more depth.

My point was that we needed things to go well to be a contender. ie.. if we were healthy and boston was injured for the playoffs, who knows.

Yes, Gomez, Cammy, Gionta, etc could all score more and that would help, but I don't think it will be enough. If we could swap any one of them for a similar, but bigger forward, who went hard to the net, then I think our forward lines would be much tougher to play against.

Its not an excuse, its reality. Boston, Vancouver, etc are far better teams with far more depth.

My point was that we needed things to go well to be a contender. ie.. if we were healthy and boston was injured for the playoffs, who knows.

Yes, Gomez, Cammy, Gionta, etc could all score more and that would help, but I don't think it will be enough. If we could swap any one of them for a similar, but bigger forward, who went hard to the net, then I think our forward lines would be much tougher to play against.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

I refuse to believe that this roster is significantly better than ours, especially before the Neal trade and especially especially with Crosby/Malkin injured. Montreal's a much deeper team yet the Penguins are doing well even with long-term injuries to their few key players while Montreal flounders.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

I refuse to believe that this roster is significantly better than ours, especially before the Neal trade and especially especially with Crosby/Malkin injured. Montreal's a much deeper team yet the Penguins are doing well even with long-term injuries to their few key players while Montreal flounders.

I don't know if that's fair. They are 2-5-1 since Malkin got injured and are 7-8-2 since Crosby went down.

Not exactly doing well.

Most teams can rally for a while when a key guys gets injured, and I think the Habs have done that at times as well. That said, losing Markov and Gorges for the season is different then losing Crosby/Malkin for a few weeks. The Pens are slowly dropping as the rally wears off and the teams tires. As long as Crosby comes back for the playoffs, they are in a different situation then the Habs, who won't be getting back their top two D.

I think the Habs will make the playoffs, I just don't think they are strong enough to do much damage, and no minor rental is going to change that. If they make a trade that helps next year as well, then I am all for it.

Most teams can rally for a while when a key guys gets injured, and I think the Habs have done that at times as well. That said, losing Markov and Gorges for the season is different then losing Crosby/Malkin for a few weeks. The Pens are slowly dropping as the rally wears off and the teams tires. As long as Crosby comes back for the playoffs, they are in a different situation then the Habs, who won't be getting back their top two D.

I think the Habs will make the playoffs, I just don't think they are strong enough to do much damage, and no minor rental is going to change that. If they make a trade that helps next year as well, then I am all for it.

Agreed... and access what we have now and make room and save money so we can sign the best of what we got and not lose them to other teams

Habs are waiting for MRI results Monday to make a determination. If they're making a big move, it'll have to be on deadline day.

Why do they have to wait if they know he's out for the season? What happened to this:

It is official, he is out for the season. So add $3,833,333 to $1,844,267 and the Habs will have $5,677,600 in acquisition space...provided he is placed on LTIR.

It's nice to know we have the space to add a superstar but next season, Markov, Gorges and Spacek will be back so we're probably looking at rentals...

Why do they have to wait if they know he's out for the season? What happened to this:

The Sportsnet report wasn't citing the Habs' official update, I thought they were at the time. The official stance is he's having an MRI Monday. That all said, if it's taking 2 weeks for the swelling to go down enough for an MRI, he's going to be out for a while either way. I still say he's done for the year but until it's medically certified, he can't be placed. When he is placed, the numbers you quoted will be correct.

Still nothing official hein ?

François Gagnon said that Sopel was using Spacek's locker in Habs locker room for last game. This and that Spacek's "name plate" wasn't there anymore...

Jacques Martin confirmed Tuesday that Jaroslav Spacek will be out 4-6 weeks.

Not too bad. We might get him back for the playoffs.

Edited by Habsfan84

Not too bad. We might get him back for the playoffs.

Wonder if that's 4-6 weeks as of yesterday or retroactive to the injury. So he could've been LTIR'ed but with no move in place, there was no point in doing so.

Damn I hate this thread. Its never good news. I guess post news here on Patches as soon as it comes in. All I've heard so far is that he is moving his limbs and talking.

Fractured vertebra and major concussion for Patches

Damn

Damn Damn Damn

I wish him the best. Going to take along time back from that...

Fractured vertebra and major concussion for Patches

I wish him the best. Maybe he'll pull an Erik Cole and be back for the SC finals.