Injury Updates

dlbalr

Well either way great news. At first there was question he would ever play again, then there was word he would miss the rest of the season, and now there's news he may be back for the playoffs. But in reality I would just sit him till next season. Let him rest and make sure that he is fully healed.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The disturbing thing is that, as Wamsley points out, Cole hasn't been the same player since.

While that may be the case, that doesn't necessarily mean the same will be said of Pacioretty. It doesn't negate the possibility either, but truly only time will time.

I will hope for the best.

The disturbing thing is that, as Wamsley points out, Cole hasn't been the same player since.

Heres my retort to that: Jason Blake scored 40 G 1 year, he might not have broke his neck, but he hasnt been the same player even since either. Steve Shutt once scored 60 G, what injuries did these guys have that they couldnt keep up with their last years pace?

Theres a lot more involved than injuries. To solely blame lack of production post injury on the injury is semi pointless, especially for Cole. Cole only had 1 season where he was a point/game guy. If his neck had never been broken he would probably be in the Blake and Shutt category of players who had 1 spectacular season. If you look at Coles stats you will see that he's had more .5 pts/game season, both pre and post injury than his 1 time only point/game season. I'm definitely not 100% sold on the reason he isnt a point/game guy today has anything to do with his injury.

Great news but I'm still skeptical. I'd definitely rather he sits out the playoffs than jeopardize his life/career if there's any doubt.

Initial reports were that he had suffered a severe concussion. Now there seems to be no concussion symptoms. Does that mean he never had a concussion to begin with? Or just that he has superhuman healing powers?

Great news but I'm still skeptical. I'd definitely rather he sits out the playoffs than jeopardize his life/career if there's any doubt.

Initial reports were that he had suffered a severe concussion. Now there seems to be no concussion symptoms. Does that mean he never had a concussion to begin with? Or just that he has superhuman healing powers?

It is bewildering. Was the concussion deemed 'severe' based just on the visuals of the impact, or on some kind of medical assessment of actual damage done? And I share your concern about Patches' longer-term future. One thing the HBO special made painfully obvious (in the way that both Crosby and Staal were handled) is that it's generally left up to the player as to when they are good to go. Since these players are, first, cocky young guys who 'just wanna play' and have no conception of the implications for the rest of their lives, and second, part of a macho culture of 'sucking it up' rather than admitting 'weakness,' and thus under considerable peer pressure not to look like pansies by protecting their health, this approach is guaranteed to lead to dire consequences. Look at Marc Savard: his desire to play to trumped common sense, which would have dictated that he take a year off. Now he's concussed again and his career is almost certainly over. We don't need Patches suffering the same fate.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Steve Shutt once scored 60 G,

Er, he also had three seasons in the late 40's. By that measure, what the hell was wrong with Gretz that he didn't get 90+ regularly. :P I know where you were going with that comparison, and I agreed with the sentiment, but you just can't put up a prolific scorer like Shutt who had one exceptional season with a bunch of gomer's who had one good season. ;)

Heres my retort to that: Jason Blake scored 40 G 1 year, he might not have broke his neck, but he hasnt been the same player even since either. Steve Shutt once scored 60 G, what injuries did these guys have that they couldnt keep up with their last years pace?

Theres a lot more involved than injuries. To solely blame lack of production post injury on the injury is semi pointless, especially for Cole. Cole only had 1 season where he was a point/game guy. If his neck had never been broken he would probably be in the Blake and Shutt category of players who had 1 spectacular season. If you look at Coles stats you will see that he's had more .5 pts/game season, both pre and post injury than his 1 time only point/game season. I'm definitely not 100% sold on the reason he isnt a point/game guy today has anything to do with his injury.

The observation was not made on point production alone, Eric Cole was a physically dominant player before the neck injury, he no longer is. Anybody who watched the guy in the 2002 playoffs and how dominant he was in 2006 can see he plays a different game today.

Jason Blake has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion, nor the fact that Blake did it at the age of 33 at an age when players are in decline. He is exactly the same player today he is just older and at the end of his career. He was always a perimeter guy with great speed who shot from everywhere. He was essentially a speedy 25 goal guy who had a career shooting percentage spike and it resulted in a career year. If he shot at his career average of 8-9% he would have had 30 goals instead of 40.

Cole's career season came at an age where players are approaching their prime and was surrounded by talent.

I have no problem with his point surge being questioned, but if you want to discredit something, use a proper comparable.

Edited by Wamsley01

Well, I will let my daughter know that her prayers were heard and answered wheher through ordinary or extra-ordinary means.

I am very , very7 happy for this young man.

Who is the patron saint of the Monteal Canadians?

Probably all of them... :-)

Great great news!

Enggvist recall means one of the day to day center is longer than expected.

Tt took time to know what was really going on with Gorges and Spacek and i

really hope both are able to come back for the playoffs.

Althought the risk of aggravate an injury to long term is not necessary with the current

standings. And the fact that the Great Dane is playing really good gives a break too,

but come on we need a injury free luck streak.

Halpern, Darche, Plekanec, and Sopel all skated at practice today, though none with the current lines aside from Sopel who skated with Mara on the 3rd pairing. My guess is that none of the forwards go tonight, who knows with Sopel. Markov also skated briefly this morning but don't get your hopes up about him returning, it'll be a long while yet before he's ready. Spacek apparently also skated as well, likely on pace to be back near the end of the year.

From Habs IO

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price left his team’s morning skate in Brossard early, reported by Marc Antoine Godin of La Presse and Renaud Lavoie of La Presse to be favouring his right knee.

sad.gif

From Habs IO

Canadiens goaltender Carey Price left his team's morning skate in Brossard early, reported by Marc Antoine Godin of La Presse and Renaud Lavoie of La Presse to be favouring his right knee.

sad.gif

Hopefully it's nothing the afternoon off can't fix. If we lost Price for any significant amount of time don't think we'd bounce back.

Hopefully it's nothing the afternoon off can't fix. If we lost Price for any significant amount of time don't think we'd bounce back.

Not with that piece of crap Auld as backup.

There's only so many injuries a team can absorb. This is absurd.

Have to think the Engqvist is this year's Maxwell: he'll be with the team right until they're out. Or do all of these still count as emergency callups?

Depends on how they filed the paperwork (and that they filed the right paperwork and not the standard recall form). As the Habs were down to 10 forwards when Dawes and Palushaj were recalled, both of those qualify as emergency callups. Now, if they were smart, they'd have sent Palushaj down first, then recalled Engqvist into what would be an emergency situation as there only would have been 11 forwards; at least, that's how I'd have done it. Without seeing what was filed and when, it's guesswork as to whether they filed as emergency recalls though.

Picard's not at practice today so Pyatt has dropped back to form a 4th pairing with Weber. Quite the intense practice too.

Yah, it'd have better been intense!

Yah, it'd have better been intense!

Sounds like 2 'bag skates' were part of it, as was a lot of physical play. Though I can't help but wonder if practice will be cancelled tomorrow to allow them to recover.

Pacioretty skated lightly today for the first time since the hit. This comes just 1 day after we learned he was on the stationary bike briefly. Definitely a positive sign.

http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=66&id=106033

Spacek also back at practice in a non-contact jersey. We might see him before the regular season ends.

• 2 weeks later...