GDT: Habs vs Senators, Jan. 21

dlbalr

It'll be 1 year to the day on February 8th when Gainey stepped down. If we agree with Bob McKenzie that Murray should get out in time before the deadline to improve the team and give the new GM time to properly prepare for the deadline and the draft I have to conclude the news on a change MUST COME SOON! Not that I want them to (obviously) but the Sens have to win this game IMO!

5-1 now

haha_simpsons.jpg

How has Desharnais been? Anybody happy? NOt Happy?

Clouston has that deer in the headlights look about him...

Edited by Toronthab

Poor Ottawa fans. What has happened to this team? I still love Kovy.

Pleks!!

They misidentified their core and allowed their assets to walk with very little return.

They decided to build around Redden and let Chara walk. Then they let Redden walk.

The dealt Hossa for Heatley and then traded him for 10 cents on the dollar. They traded Havlat for 10 cents on the dollar as well.

So a core of Chara/Redden/Hossa/Havlat was turned into Cheechoo, Smolinski, Preissing and Michalek.

Add in a poor scouting department (the majority of the one that created the contender are now in Montreal)

and you have a bottom feeder.

...and you have a bottom feeder.
And the only bona-fide asset they have is Karlsson. Alfie is getting to the twilight phase in his career. Fisher is always a sparkplug but he can't be the go to guy. Gonchar/Ottawa is a bad marriage. I said that when they signed him and let Volchenkov walk.

Here comes a Senator 5 on 3. Uh oh. At least it'll be interrupted by the intermission if they can avoid getting scored on

Well, glad I was right about a quick start being big for the Habs this period, I'm not complaining with a 5-1 lead. As for Ottawa's situation, if Montreal pops a few more, the house cleaning could come as soon as tomorrow...which isn't soon enough for this team.

On a side note, the chatroom has been the last couple games too mostly. Don't forget that feature, folks.

Was there a 5 on 3 there? I missed it or something.

Now 6-1. This is a drubbing

This is more like what the start of the game looked like it would be. All of the offensive guy are producing tonight - nice to see!!

we just need Desharnais and eller to get on the scoresheet and all of our offenscive guys will have contributed.

we just need Desharnais and eller to get on the scoresheet and all of our offenscive guys will have contributed.

NHL.com give an assist to Desharnais on SUbban's goal...

Habs win 7-1 over what appears to be Junior B Ottawa team. Queue the pink slip(s)

I'd buy that for a dollar

looks like they are trying to catch edmonton and NJ :lol:

Habs win 7-1 over what appears to be Junior B Ottawa team. Queue the pink slip(s)

Yep, wouldn't surprise me in the least. Can't help but wonder if Nabokov may wind up with the Sens, they have a good waiver priority and he'd be a good fit there. Solid game overall, Subban's goal ensured they'd match the Bulldogs' total, they too scored 7 tonight in Connecticut despite several deficiencies in their lineup (see their GDT for more). Nice to see the ice time somewhat balanced, nobody under 10 minutes. Engqvist was positionally sound and decent on the draw, just like his scouting report. White hit everything in sight and got better as the game went along.

My 3 Stars for the game...Mike's on the 3-Stars beat for HW so I can post mine here:

1) Plekanec - Brutal on the draw but was a key offensive cog. Also instrumental in the 5-on-3 kill that killed any Ottawa rally hopes.

2) Pacioretty - 2 points in a game no one thought he'd be able to play.

3) Kostitsyn - A consistent offensive threat once again, perhaps he's beginning to awaken?

HM) Price - Quietest 33-save effort you'll see from him.

Full stats: http://www.nhl.com/s...11/ES020709.HTM

wow.. ottawa is brutal.. They have to start firing and soon... On the bright side, that should help Toronto do well enough to hurt the Bruins draft. :)

Yep - I want the leafs to miss the playoffs badly - but not bad enough to get the Bruins another lottery pick or a chance to draft a franchise player. It would be nice that they finish far enough that there is no hope to make the playoffs, but its still out of the ten worst so Boston gets a lower pick.

It was bad enough that they would sign Kovy for 2 years (lucky for us that Kovy had second thoughts and wanted to test the market), but to sign Gonchar who just brutal in the playoffs last year was ridicilous. I think both Murray and Clouston need to go. I put the blame on Murray on how he handled the Heatley situation. he should have told Heatley to sit at home unless he is willing to accept whatever trade Murray is able to work out. In an Olympic year, I think Heatley would have caved first.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

wow.. ottawa is brutal.. They have to start firing and soon... On the bright side, that should help Toronto do well enough to hurt the Bruins draft. :)

It's probably better to leave the status quo and finish in last. Last thing you want is the performance bump that results in a non-lottery pick.

Wow the Habs mopped the floor with the Sens tonight.

The Habs train keeps on rolling and i've very happy about that, although i can't help but feel a little bad for the Sens, who are my second (very distant second, but still) favourite team.

They need to do some major work. Poor Kovalev must be depressed haha.

At the end of the day though, 2 pts is 2 pts and a 7-1 win is good for morale and confidence!

GHG!

Fun game. The Sens are a sad case, though, and I think Wamsley did a good job of breaking down why that is.

Everbody had a good game, but I was especially impressed with Pouliot, particularly in the first half, when he played with real authority and imagination on seemingly every shift. I'd love to think that he's finding his groove, but as Boone points out, he and Kosty are consummate teases. And Gomez really cranked up his game after a confused first period - watching him give and go with Gionta was a taste of the old Jersey glory days.

I'd also single out Patches, for not missing a beat, and Eller and Desharnais, who both did lots of good things. And kudos to White for standing up for the cheap-shotted Moen.

A great night that should work wonders for the confidence of the young guns: just what the doctor ordered going forward.