GDT: Ducks vs Habs, Jan. 22

dlbalr

That's 3 points each in 2 sets of back to back games this week. You can't complain about that. I am pretty happy with the character shown to come back! Later in the season, when the team is losing and Darche is on the power play, let's try to remember December and January and how important he has been to this team. His net presence is fantastic, and as far as I'm concerned, he deserves every minute of icetime he gets. Great game.

PS, Didn't Benny and Andre learn from the game that Hiller will give you his glove because he is unreal on that side. He was exposed as weaker on his blocker side, yet they both go for teh glove side. :unsure:

Great to see Saku - who, I can't help but notice, was up to his familiar late-career trick of taking bad penalties ;) - but the game was basically a dud. The Habs just didn't have much inspiration tonight. Nice to see them gut out a point nevertheless.

I was surprised to see Mario Blueberry suggesting that Lapierre could be out of the league at the end of the season. I'd thought he was more highly-regarded, talent wise, than that. Interesting.

The Habs kept shooting high on Hiller and, all too often, missing the net. Could be a case where the scouting report actually worked against them.

Koivu, Koivu. I was touched by his return. Nevertheless, although still useful, he is not the player he was, and things probably have worked out for the best all around.

EDIT: I'd meant to ask - how come the Habs didn't do the usual thing and have a little ceremony honouring Koivu before the game? That would have eliminated the awkwardness of him calling his teammates out on the ice and cutting short the standing O at the beginning. Then, with the 2nd star selection, half the people had left the building. It seemed as though the fans never really had a chance to properly settle the account with Saku. But I wasn't there, so maybe my impression is wrong.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

GOAL!!!!!!! Max Pac! He's starting to look a little like John Leclair!!!

Excellent comparison.

Talking about the game, I like what our younger players bring to the game. Pax and Weber are gaining confidence. Same thing with Desharnais.

Eller did not play much in the second part of the game. I thought he had a decent game; maybe he was not feeling good. I don't see why he would be benched.

White and Engquist did a decent job again tonight.

All in all, I am impressed by the way this team is reacting to adversity.

lol I just read the game thread and noticed the compilation video from youtube...I made it when Saku left and i was surprised to see it up here on habsworld. Sorry about the quality was my first video compilation :P I though Habs deserved a better fate but I'll take the point. Go Habs Go!

GOAL!!!!!!! Max Pac! He's starting to look a little like John Leclair!!!

JCPetit

Excellent comparison.

Talking about the game, I like what our younger players bring to the game. Pax and Weber are gaining confidence. Same thing with Desharnais.

Eller did not play much in the second part of the game. I thought he had a decent game; maybe he was not feeling good. I don't see why he would be benched.

White and Engquist did a decent job again tonight.

All in all, I am impressed by the way this team is reacting to adversity.

My thoughts are in agreement with yours.

I am quite surprised to see Enqvist and white on PK. How the hell do you come frome AHL to PK duty ???

I remember that Pyatt and White also played on the PK when they were recalled last year. I guess that Cunneyworth (and Boucher last year) is expected to teach the youngsters playing for the Bulldogs the same system used by the Habs. It makes a lot of sense; they're ready to play a role when they're called up.

Another nit-picky beef about last night: the choice of Pouliot and Kostitsyn for the shootout. Both those guys are the opposite of players you go to with the game on the line, and in both cases I was eerily, absolutely confident that they would NOT score. In that situation, I go with the Plekanecs and the Giontas and Gomezes any day of the week. Puzzling decision by JM IMHO.

Another nit-picky beef about last night: the choice of Pouliot and Kostitsyn for the shootout. Both those guys are the opposite of players you go to with the game on the line, and in both cases I was eerily, absolutely confident that they would NOT score. In that situation, I go with the Plekanecs and the Giontas and Gomezes any day of the week. Puzzling decision by JM IMHO.

Well, benny scored that beauty in the Pittsburgh SO and maybe JM's trying to get Kostitsyn going. I'd never pick Pleks in the shootout; he's his own worst enemy when he's got time to think out his moves.

Wiz played over 30 minutes in that game. That is a lot of ice time.

Ok for the PP but in the penalty killing he is losing a lot of energy there.

Spacek and Weber didm't average 15 minutes, of course nobody wants to see Weber

in PK but if he cannot hold is own there. then Picard alternate with him or Spacek

who clearly lost JM confidence with his ups and downs.

This would go on the rumors usually but i see a hole in the line up for 3th right D.

Both Wiz and PK can hold on in PP. Weber role is blocked there.

I would see à big 6.4 foot right D who can fight and stop that bump in Price game plan.

Matt Carkner. Minor moves that could be a nice fit in. Yes he is slow, cannot pass so does

Komisarek at 4-5 million hittung women in LA.

I am quite surprised to see Enqvist and white on PK. How the hell do you come frome AHL to PK duty ???

Engqvist is one of the AHL's top shutdown C's and plays all defensive situations. White I was a little surprised with but Engqvist made some sense...should've been with a veteran though. Speaking of Engqvist, back to Hamilton he goes, White stays...can't say I agree with that decision. If White wasn't good enough to play at all in the 3rd and OT, shouldn't he have went down? Oh well, moot anyways since White's gone first thing Wednesday morning.

I would see à big 6.4 foot right D who can fight and stop that bump in Price game plan.

Matt Carkner. Minor moves that could be a nice fit in. Yes he is slow, cannot pass so does

Komisarek at 4-5 million hittung women in LA.

Carkner? He's not an NHL calibre d-man on most teams. Henry could do the same thing...and frankly I wouldn't want that either. I don't mind the idea of bringing in another depth D to bump Weber to 7 and Picard...somewhere else, but there should be other guys attainable elsewhere. Heck, the Habs already let Carkner go once, can't see them wanting him back.

End of 2nd I told my son Capt Smurf would take a dumb penalty and we would win in shoot out. Half right. Nice seeing him back at home. The penalty box of the Bell Center.

Heh, Gionta is way more Capt Smurf than Koivu ever was. :lol: