Potential trade targets

dlbalr

Yeh, I anticipate a Dominique Moore-type pickup before PG's work is done.

Maybe...but giving up yet another pick for yet another rental doesn't sound terribly appealing to me.

Maybe...but giving up yet another pick for yet another rental doesn't sound terribly appealing to me.

I agree, but I'd be surprised if it ended up any other way. I figure PG to bolster the offence after "firming" up the D with Mara... and unless Kostitsyn is going the other way, I can't see it being any more than a rental. Just my gut feeling, and I'd love to be proven wrong. :)

Antoine Vermette is the guy i hope they are looking at in Columbus

He'd help, but I'm not sure we want to pick up a guy that has regressed significantly this year, and that is signed until 2015 at $3.75M. With Columbus still technically in the mix for the playoffs, and Brassard on the IR, I'm not sure they'd move him either...

Now if they'd take him for Gomez, then maybe I'd consider it. :)

He'd help, but I'm not sure we want to pick up a guy that has regressed significantly this year, and that is signed until 2015 at $3.75M. With Columbus still technically in the mix for the playoffs, and Brassard on the IR, I'm not sure they'd move him either...

Now if they'd take him for Gomez, then maybe I'd consider it. :)

how about Kostitsyn for Vermette

how about Kostitsyn for Vermette?

The more I think about it, I think Vermette would be a good fit in JM's system, but I'm not sure we should deplete our wings when we've already got 3 capable offensive centres on the roster (4 once Eller develops). Vermette wouldn't be a rental, and with Pleks signed until 2016, Gomez until 2014, and with both Eller and Desharnais coming cheap and ours for years, I don't think it makes sense to acquire another centre without one going the other way. In this cap world, I'd want to keep our young guys over Vermette.

The more I think about it, I think Vermette would be a good fit in JM's system, but I'm not sure we should deplete our wings when we've already got 3 capable offensive centres on the roster (4 once Eller develops). Vermette wouldn't be a rental, and with Pleks signed until 2016, Gomez until 2014, and with both Eller and Desharnais coming cheap and ours for years, I don't think it makes sense to acquire another centre without one going the other way. In this cap world, I'd want to keep our young guys over Vermette.

tsn as vermette as a LW/C

tsn as vermette as a LW/C

I've never seen him play anything but centre in Ottawa or Columbus. TSN can be a bit generous with position eligibility, but who knows.

I've never seen him play anything but centre in Ottawa or Columbus. TSN can be a bit generous with position eligibility, but who knows.

Generally speaking, we draft centers at the forward position and move them to wing if we have to. Centers are generally more skilled and usually can skate better because of the position they have to play. It doesn't hurt you to have extra centers. If you are looking for a sniper or somebody with a heavy shot you are probably looking for a winger, but not necessarily.

Generally speaking, we draft centers at the forward position and move them to wing if we have to. Centers are generally more skilled and usually can skate better because of the position they have to play. It doesn't hurt you to have extra centers. If you are looking for a sniper or somebody with a heavy shot you are probably looking for a winger, but not necessarily.

True enough, but some centres just don't seem to make the transition that well to the wing.

True enough, but some centres just don't seem to make the transition that well to the wing.

Some do, others don't - see Eller for that latter category. I remember seeing Vermette play the wing in Ottawa briefly actually, he's a name I hadn't considered when assembling my forward list of potential trade targets that will be up sometime today.

Part 2/3 of the deadline preview series is up with 8 forwards on other teams being discussed: http://www.habsworld...cle.php?id=2389

Also, this isn't the best place for this but I'm not starting a new thread on it. With the deadline coming up, I intend to add some twitter accounts to our sources list which appears on the main page over the coming days. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Part 2/3 of the deadline preview series is up with 8 forwards on other teams being discussed: http://www.habsworld...cle.php?id=2389

Also, this isn't the best place for this but I'm not starting a new thread on it. With the deadline coming up, I intend to add some twitter accounts to our sources list which appears on the main page over the coming days. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Great article Brian. I like the names and details you provide about potential targets. Right on.

I think the guy you may see make a return is Kovalev. He won't cost the team it's future. Probably a 3rd rounder. The only issue is who you would have to hide in the minors to make the cap space. I'm not saying I want him back, but there is a fliresale in Ottawa, and he has fit in welll here before. Watching him in Ottawa, is really strange. He is so darn lazy.

I think the guy you may see make a return is Kovalev. He won't cost the team it's future. Probably a 3rd rounder. The only issue is who you would have to hide in the minors to make the cap space. I'm not saying I want him back, but there is a fliresale in Ottawa, and he has fit in welll here before. Watching him in Ottawa, is really strange. He is so darn lazy.

Exactly, I was watching him (AK27) against Boston (second period only) very but very uncommitted... slow and did not skate back... if he does come back I am fearful if its because of an injury... or just because he wants out.

Conditions for him to be ffective (if back) with the Habs

1) PP usage and PK usage (he isn't the worst when it comes to staying put and taking away pucks)

2) J Martin would have to allow him special treatment; such as letting him cheat, cherry pick... and play the way he likes to play

3) He thrives in the limelight and He will get that when back in Mtl... he wont care if he plays on the fourth line or third... hell put him with Gomez and a and good two way winger winger

I could write tonnes more.. but I'll save that for if he does find his way back

But being a Kovy fan... I'm not convinced he is 100%

TSN is reporting that Sourray is on re-entry waivers. Somebody has shown interest. I would not be surprised if it was us. I expect he still has a booming shot. This would add offense even if you just used him like Bergeron.

Actually it is HF boards reporting that TSN is reporting it. I can't find it. They are usually pretty good. I apologise. I just can't find it.

Actually it is HF boards reporting that TSN is reporting it. I can't find it. They are usually pretty good. I apologise. I just can't find it.

Souray's on re-entry, TSN and Sportsnet both reported it. It was on our TwitterBug earlier and mentioned in the NHL thread. Bob McKenzie reported that there is not a pre-arranged claim in place though.