GDT: Islanders vs Habs, Feb. 10

dlbalr

Well, could be worse I guess. The Habs just couldn't put the pedal down in this one, it happens. If nothing else, a point's a point which ups the playoff odds (if you've been checking the Scoreboard Watching thread diligently).

Injury notes, Gill and Darche both expected to miss Saturday's tilt, which evidently will also require someone else to do the GDT. :)

Mike's 3 Stars are up: http://www.habsworld...cle.php?id=2379

I'd do the GDT, Brian, but I'll be in Montreal for a little Valentine's getaway... and the hockey game. :)

What's the word with those two?

Yea, they choked a lead up again in the third. Whoever mentioned Auld's movement on the 3rd goal, i'll simply point to Hamrlik doing a fly by and not covering his man at all. What the heck was he thinking, he just skated into the corner? Hamrlik was brutal last night, Wis wasn't any better defensively.

How did Gill get hurt? strain his back picking up everyone's equipment after all the fights?

They also may consider switching up the lines. The Gomez line is completely out top lunch, although they had a few good shifts. Pouliot Pleks Gionta, Pacioretty Decharnais AK46, Pyatt Eller Halpern, Moen Gomez and White.

Spacek and Subban was a miserable pair as well.

Let's hope they were tired and a better effort on Saturday

The only argument I'd have against splitting up the Gomez line is that if he and/or Kostitsyn bring whatever line they're playing on down, is it not best to keep them together so that 3 lines can function properly? I'm willing to give Wisniewski a pass last night, he wasn't 100% from his strep throat (not to mention the Boston game probably took a toll) and with Gill out, they used him way too much. In the postgame, he looked completely exhausted.

But putting massages aside, the habs really need to start picking it up.. losing to the Devils was awful, but now the Islanders?!

The problem is that the teams that the Habs have games against that are not "playoff teams" are teams that have had the Habs number for a long time. I would rather play the Rangers/Canes/Thrashers/Sabres then the Leafs and Devils.

As for Auld, he did what a backup is supposed to do. He is an average goalie, that is why he is happy with starting 10 games per year and collect 20 times what the majority of us make to watch games on an NHL bench.

His lateral movement sucked on the 3rd goal because his lateral movement SUCKS! There are 7 or 8 goaltenders in the NHL who would have played that properly. Tim Thomas would have played that exactly the same, fortunately for him he has Chara and forwards who like to backcheck. Price, Miller, Hiller, Rask, Ward, Rinne, Fleury and Lundqvist have the requisite footwork and calm demeanour to atack that play using the proper angles and slides.

He stopped the first 3 shots in the shootout. If Auld does that and you are facing an AHL goaltender then you should win the shootout. Why NHL players think coming in at half speed and trying to deke a 6'5" goaltender is beyond me. At that size he was playing deep, let him move deep in the crease and pick a corner on him. Max Pac tried it but missed the shot. Okposo won the game doing exactly this.

I told me dad before the start of the 3rd period that the Habs would be lucky to get a point and they held on for dear life just to get that point.

Edited by Wamsley01

I'd do the GDT, Brian, but I'll be in Montreal for a little Valentine's getaway... and the hockey game. :)

Lo that may be one and the same. Oh I thought you said giveaway. God, Please don't let us be disgraced on National TV especially against the Laughs. That's what my heart says. My mind says we are setting up for the St. Valentines Massacre.

As for Auld, he did what a backup is supposed to do. He is an average goalie, that is why he is happy with starting 10 games per year and collect 20 times what the majority of us make to watch games on an NHL bench.

Thats awesome!

Okposo won the game doing exactly this

On a 6 foot 5 goalie you try five hole... those are longs legs and it takes longer to close up. At least Thats where i get scored on the most and I'm 6'4"

And okposo scored off the near post (left) 2 feet off the ground (perfect shot) and he's a right shot very hard to stop that!

I haven't watched much AHL this year, so I cannot say as how to White looked there, but whether it was because he was rested from not playing the night before, but he was effective last night, that's how he looked in the pre-season, I'm sure Brian can tell us more about his run in AHL, is he a player needs the big show to excel? I could be reading WAY too much into one game, haha but I do that...

I haven't watched much AHL this year, so I cannot say as how to White looked there, but whether it was because he was rested from not playing the night before, but he was effective last night, that's how he looked in the pre-season, I'm sure Brian can tell us more about his run in AHL, is he a player needs the big show to excel? I could be reading WAY too much into one game, haha but I do that...

With the barrage of injuries and recalls the Bulldogs have had, White's basically been forced into a scoring role. Based on his production this season (lesser pace than even his rookie year), he can't handle such a role. The Habs last night used him the way that it appears he's best suited for: an energy 4th liner. He is comfortable with that role (he was a bottom-6 guy in Hamilton before this year) and it seemed to make a difference last night.

Thats awesome!

On a 6 foot 5 goalie you try five hole... those are longs legs and it takes longer to close up. At least Thats where i get scored on the most and I'm 6'4"

And okposo scored off the near post (left) 2 feet off the ground (perfect shot) and he's a right shot very hard to stop that!

It depends on his depth. Look at the Okposo winner from behind and look at all the visible net Auld exposed.

If you have zero speed it better be a quick accurate shot between the legs because he is not in transition. He took away the bottom of the net well and Pouliot tried to go 5-hole but unfortunately he missed.

Edited by Wamsley01