GDT: Bruins vs Habs, Mar. 8

dlbalr

I don't know now. "Fractured vertebrae" changes the public perception from concussion, a word that we are now numb to.

That could alter the NHL's outlook and punishment even though it shouldn't.

If the NHL is smart they give him 10 games and it goes away. The media lauds them for taking a stand and the only complaints come from Boston. If they are too lenient they risk backlash from Montreal media + US and Canadian media.

I think if they were smart and they wont give him 10 games, they should give him the exact amount of games to avoid the next game between these two teams. Montreal are not goons, and I really don't think there would be much retribution, but it'd be smart to avoud it.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if they were smart and they wont give him 10 games, they should give him the exact amount of games to avoid the next game between these two teams. Montreal are not goons, and I really don't think there would be much retribution, but it'd be smart to avoud it.

That's actually a really good idea, and it'd be 7 games in that instance.

Chara's hearing was today at noon; did they even know the fractured vertebrae diagnosis at that time? Will it come into play?

Also, it's not Campbell making the ruling, so how does Mike Murphy compare to Campbell? Any chance Murphy has a smidgen of common sense and sees that, regardless of intent, the hit was illegal, careless, and extremely dangerous because of the location. IMO, these factors mean a suspension is warranted. The length... I think they decide that by spinning a wheel, to be honest.

Also, can you imagine a 7 game series between these two teams?

I am not defending Chara, I am defending the burden of proof.

I understand your position. BUt I just saw a picture in the Journal de Montréal . It clearly shows Pacioretty's head making contact with the stanchion, and Chara's hand on Max's head. Was it intentional or not, doesn't matter to me. This picture is the proof that we all need to see that Chara wanted to rub Max out of the play. Chara has skated by these boards thousands(if not tens of thousands of times) and knows exactly where the stanchion is. To say that he didn't know where they were and that it was a strong Hockey play is disgusting and an outright lie!

I just heard on the team 990 that according to Brian Wylde(CFCF News) the neck fracture is a C-4 fracture that is non-displaced. Apparently this is good news. C-1 is the most severe type of neck fracture(Christopher Reeves had a C-1 fracture) and a C-7 is the least severe fracture. Also, the fact that its a non-displaced fracture is a good thing.

So according to Wylde(who spoke to a few doctors) Max's career isn't in Jeopardy, but is season is pretty much finished!

I sincerely hope that its true the vertebrae injury is not career threatening in a physical sense, but what about the severe concussion? Then there is also the mental barrier to overcome...anyways glad to hear that there might not be any long-term effects.

Get well Max, you made us proud.

Go to hell Chara you made us sick.

No excusing Chara's actions but if all the players know exactly what's around them and where the 'danger zones' around the benches are, why doesn't Max get any blame for putting himself in that situation?

I know it seems harsh but if you give a 6'9" gorilla on skates with aggression issues the opportunity to slam you into the most dangerous part of the rink, you can't be totally unaccountable.

wow... apparently chara is the victim here. Between Pacs leaning in and jumping at the stanchion and the improper rink design putting a stanchion their, poor chara might get suspended when he didn't do anything at all.

It is quite the fantasy world the bruins fans (and several apologizing media reporters) are living in. Unfortunately, the NHL office lives in that world.

Pacs should be suspended for his self inflicted injury. The stanchion is facing a life time ban...

I don't get that logic.. he didn't put himself in danger.. he was skating down the boards in front of the benches. You are implying he did something like put his face to the boards and his back to an oncoming hit.. he didn't. He should be free to skate along the boards without the puck and should not expect a player to push his head from behind into the glass.

I can't see anything Pacs could have done differently. Had chara hit him as he went by, no problem. chara missed him, chased, and pushed him into it... big difference.

No excusing Chara's actions but if all the players know exactly what's around them and where the 'danger zones' around the benches are, why doesn't Max get any blame for putting himself in that situation?

I know it seems harsh but if you give a 6'9" gorilla on skates with aggression issues the opportunity to slam you into the most dangerous part of the rink, you can't be totally unaccountable.

wow... apparently chara is the victim here. Between Pacs leaning in and jumping at the stanchion and the improper rink design putting a stanchion their, poor chara might get suspended when he didn't do anything at all.

It is quite the fantasy world the bruins fans (and several apologizing media reporters) are living in. Unfortunately, the NHL office lives in that world.

Pacs should be suspended for his self inflicted injury. The stanchion is facing a life time ban...

They said the same stupid things when Kostopolous ended Mke Van Ryn's career blaming Van Ryn.

They are consistent in their idiocy.

Indeed they are.

While I accept that sometimes I guy turns at the last minute and gets hit from behind (and therefore shares some blame), there is nothing like that here. I swear some of the chara defenders have not even looked at the tape.

Or this pic...

http://twitpic.com/47se2y

One comment right below the pic.. good hockey hit, blame the arena design... totally ignore where Chara's hand is.

They also seem to ignore that every rink I have seen has stanchions along the benches, but somehow poor Chara was victimized by the designers of the Habs arena.

They said the same stupid things when Kostopolous ended Mke Van Ryn's career blaming Van Ryn.

They are consistent in their idiocy.

Edited by brobin

I just heard on the team 990 that according to Brian Wylde(CFCF News) the neck fracture is a C-4 fracture that is non-displaced. Apparently this is good news. C-1 is the most severe type of neck fracture(Christopher Reeves had a C-1 fracture) and a C-7 is the least severe fracture. Also, the fact that its a non-displaced fracture is a good thing.

So according to Wylde(who spoke to a few doctors) Max's career isn't in Jeopardy, but is season is pretty much finished!

Nope.

C1 is the first or closest vertebrae to the head. C-1 through C-7 are the cervical vertebra or the ones in your neck . He has fractured the middle of his neck.

http://www.nationalpainfoundation.org/articles/405/anatomy-of-the-spine

C-4 says nothing of the severity of the injury, only the location. It ain't good.

Nope.

C1 is the first or closest vertebrae to the head. C-1 through C-7 are the cervical vertebra or the ones in your neck . He has fractured the middle of his neck.

http://www.nationalpainfoundation.org/articles/405/anatomy-of-the-spine

C-4 says nothing of the severity of the injury, only the location. It ain't good.

The fact that it was a non displaced fracture was supposed to be the good news.

Thanks for posting the picture Brobin, that's the one I was talking about. You can clearly see that Chara shoves his face into the stanchion.

I guess the NHL position is clear they want teams to take matter into their own hands, I don't advocate it, I doubt the habs will do anything, but other teams would, I guess the NHL lucky the habs aren't the flyers or they might be scraping up players with shovels next meeting.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=555520

"After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly -- with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards. I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.

"This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

Share TORONTO – National Hockey League Senior Vice President of Hockey Operations Mike Murphy today issued the following statement on Boston Bruins defenseman Zdeno Chara's hit in NHL game #996 last night against the Montreal Canadiens:

"I conducted a hearing with Boston Bruins' defenseman Zdeno Chara with respect to the major penalty for interference and game misconduct that he was assessed at 19:44 of the second period for a hit on Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens.

"After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly -- with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards. I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous.

"This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

wow.. no evidence.. I thought I posted a picture of Chara's hand on his head.. how is that not evidence that Chara targeted the head.

so now what.. if we go after them next game, the league will punish the habs for retaliation, but the nhl won't protect the players either.. .nice.

So next time Chara does something bad and he will, will be no longer not have a track record? Complete joke of a league. I'd love a player to take a stick to Chara's knee, I sound like an idiot, but I don't care. To get respect in the league you gotta be dirty, look at Philly and Boston.

Let Price do a few Hextall´s and Billy Smith´s on the bruins forwards in the next game. Or better yet... let Auld do it so Price dont get killed by "clean hits". And after that lets have a class with Dale Hunter about what to do with people that deserve it.