GDT: Bruins vs Habs, Mar. 8

dlbalr

See, one of the basic problems with the NHL and dangerous plays is the whole notion that if it was unintentional, then it's somehow OK. Chara didn't MEAN to almost kill Pacioretty. What's his name didn't MEAN to hit Crosby's head. Blah blah blah blah.

Who gives a sh*t what he 'meant' to do? If I run you over with my car unintentionally, I am still legally liable for the damage I do. I love how a league that makes a point of totally discounting player intent when it comes to delay of game penalties (shooting the puck over the boards! Ooooooo!) or high sticking drawing blood, suddenly makes all these pious noises about how 'so and so didn't REALLY mean it' when it comes to life-threatening, career-jeopardizing acts of savage brutality. THE PLAYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR HIS ACTIONS. PERIOD. In my book, CHARA IS SUSPENDED FOR THE SEASON AND THE MOTHERFU**ING PLAYOFFS. Either that, or he is suspended for as long as Pacioretty is injured.

Like my earlier idea of docking a team two points in these circumstances, such measures would put a stop to this tripe real quick.

(Lest I be accused of having lost perspective because I'm a Habs fan, I've said repearedly that I'm appalled by these proliferating attempts to injure. This is just the straw that broke the camel's back).

Finally - Bertuzzi is an ape who should have been suspended for the length of time that his actions prevented Steve Moore from playing (i.e., forever). Moore's hit was unacceptable, but not on the scale of the retaliation, or the horror we witnessed tonight.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust me, I would like nothing more than to blame Chara with my homer glasses, but I can see the grey area like it or not.

It was irresponsible especially down 4-0 and with 15 seconds left, but his hand didn't direct his head into the boards. He pushed him and Max Pac could just as easily have missed the post.

What grey area? Chara runs Patch down the boards, lifts his arm and drives Max's head into the post.

I can't believe that you are calling this an accident.

In the NESN post game:

Chara saying its just very unfortunate. He said he knew they were near the bench but he didn't know exactly where. He said he sees no reason why he should be suspended. He said its not his style to hurt someone. He just kept saying it was very unfortunate and didnt mean to do it.

Edited by Habsfan84

P.J. Stock is already defending Chara on RDS (Antichambre) Saying that Chara didn't do it on purpose. Then François Gagnon said that Chara knew exactly what he was doing(and backed it up with the video!)

I just showed the video to 4 friends of mine in Texas that are Dallas Stars fans, I didn't say anything and just said: "hey guys, have a look at this."

Their reactions included "holy cheap shot", "wow now that's intent to injure, steered him right in like that" and "ouch.. that's a 10-game suspension right there"

As Habs fans, we naturally have a certain bias, but taking a step back and looking at this with a certain sense of objectivity, i STILL don't see how anyone can clear Chara of any blame. I've watched the replay 30 times now. Chara knew full well what he was doing.

Edited by Cataclaw

Trust me, I would like nothing more than to blame Chara with my homer glasses, but I can see the grey area like it or not.

It was irresponsible especially down 4-0 and with 15 seconds left, but his hand didn't direct his head into the boards. He pushed him and Max Pac could just as easily have missed the post. It was a dangerous play, but I can't judge his intent based on the 30 replays I have seen.

What grey area? Chara runs Patch down the boards, lifts his arm and drives Max's head into the post.

He didn't drive his head into the post. He pushes him.

C.C. I totally agree. He should be suspended because what he did was irresponsible and dangerous. All I am saying is I am not willing to make the leap to say that Chara intentionally tried to decapitate the kid. Did he try to hurt him, probably, does the video show that he absolutely expected that result, no.

"Je savais qu'on approchait du banc, mais je ne voyais pas le poteau. J'espère qu'il va bien."- Zdeno Chara.

Chara pleads his innocence (via JF Chaumont)

I really can't see the league coming down hard on him. It's times like these that I'm disgusted with the NHL and feel dirty for loving hockey. What's it going to take to get this shit out of our game?

My best to Patches. Fingers crossed for a full recovery.

P.J. Stock is already defending Chara on RDS (Antichambre) Saying that Chara didn't do it on purpose. Then François Gagnon said that Chara knew exactly what he was doing(and backed it up with the video!)

It's the same thing every time someone's life is nearly destroyed: the old guard stands up and makes excuses and apologetics. Anything except demand that players take responsibility. The ONLY time this doesn't happen is when the player committing the act is a notorious and universally loathed cheap-shot artist like Cooke. In short, if they hate you, then they want to see you suspended. Otherwise, it's all just some 'unfortunate' stuff that happens.

Scumbags.

EDIT: Wamsley, I'm glad you agree since I respect your opinion so highly. WE have to take responsibility for our actions in our lives, when we destroy others. It should be no different for hockey players. Intent is irrelevant, or at best marginally relevant: it's the deed itself that counts.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I see a grey area here honestly as well (not to gang up on you or anything). I think the issue stems from the direction of the head, did Chara deliberately push it, or was his momentum (and the fact he's much bigger), coupled with Pacioretty also being off balance slightly the key issue? Was it both? I'm not going to sit here and say one way or the other, but I truly do believe there is something that can be open to interpretation.

You think I haven't seen it?

I am not willing to make the leap and read his mind and intent like you guys are. I am not a mind reader, I guess all of you are.

You guys are acting like this was like Bertuzzi and McSorley. What Boychuk did had just as much perceived intent yet none of you guys have mentioned that for hours.

Edited by Wamsley01

He didn't drive his head into the post. He pushes him.

C.C. I totally agree. He should be suspended because what he did was irresponsible and dangerous. All I am saying is I am not willing to make the leap to say that Chara intentionally tried to decapitate the kid. Did he try to hurt him, probably, does the video show that he absolutely expected that result, no.

Here we go getting caught up in semantics again. Fine Chara " pushed" Patch's head into the post and he didn't mean to do it.

Gimmie a break.

You can tell on that video that Chara knew exactly where they were. All he needed to do was give Patches a little shove. Chara knew that Patches would hit the boards pretty damn hard!

He should be suspended for the rest of the season and the Playoffs!

Unfortunately, the NHL and Colin Campbell don't have any balls and nothing will happen...he might get 2 or 3 games!

In the NESN post game:

Chara saying its just very unfortunate. He said he knew they were near the bench but he didn't know exactly where. He said he sees no reason why he should be suspended. He said its not his style to hurt someone. He just kept saying it was very unfortunate and didnt mean to do it.

If it was Boychuk it would be a different story. But taken in context with the history btw Chara and Pacioretty this year, it will be VERY difficult for Chara to escape of this saying it wasn't premeditated.

Even earlier today on La Presse, there's an article quoting Pacioretty saying he knows there's a kind of target on his back.

I can understand unfortunate incident happen in sports. Hockey is a very fast and intense sport. But you've got to punish premeditated attempt to kill! That's insane.

I am not willing to make the leap and read his mind and intent like you guys are. I am not a mind reader, I guess all of you are.

I don't know what he was thinking. What I know is that he is responsible for his actions - or would be if the NHL were not run by a bunch of smug, pious accomplices to brutality.

You can tell on that video that Chara knew exactly where they were. All he needed to do was give Patches a little shove. Chara knew that Patches would hit the boards pretty damn hard!

He should be suspended for the rest of the season and the Playoffs!Unfortunately, the NHL and Colin Campbell don't have any balls and nothing will happen...he might get 2 or 3 games!

This.

Here we go getting caught up in semantics again. Fine Chara " pushed" Patch's head into the post and he didn't mean to do it.

Gimmie a break.

Semantics? Me explaining my opinion and you reading minds is semantics?

Spare me the nonsense. You have NO IDEA what Chara intended. Simple as that.

I think he should be suspended, but I am not willing to make the simple leap that he is a callous bastard based on that replay. Sorry.

It is quite amazing that Campbell's conflict of interest was swept under the rug so easily.

Exactly - convienient explanation - I doubt if that is how it actualy works!

I don't know what he was thinking. What I know is that he is responsible for his actions - or would be if the NHL were not run by a bunch of smug, pious accomplices to brutality.

This.

He should be responsible for the result.

I don't buy the "I didn't know where I was" excuse. For the entire duration of the play, Chara's head is facing the boards. The boards and the incoming post are clearly within line of sight. These players are professionals that know where they are at all times. On top of that, we can clearly see in the video that he had line-of-sight at very moments leading right up to the hit.

Even if he didn't truly intend to shove Max's face in there, it was still, objectively, an insanely dangerous play on its own and warrants (in my view) a 10-game suspension (minimum)

Edited by Cataclaw

If it was Boychuk it would be a different story. But taken in context with the history btw Chara and Pacioretty this year, it will be VERY difficult for Chara to escape of this saying it wasn't premeditated.

Even earlier today on La Presse, there's an article quoting Pacioretty saying he knows there's a kind of target on his back.

I can understand unfortunate incident happen in sports. Hockey is a very fast and intense sport. But you've got to punish premeditated attempt to kill! That's insane.

That would get you nowhere in a court of law. No threat, a shove that lead to some words and an attempted fight with no punches does not make it premeditated.

Even if he didn't truly intend to shove Max's face in there, it was still, objectively, an insanely dangerous play on its own and warrants (in my view) a 10-game suspension (minimum)

100% agree

Edited by Wamsley01

I am not saying what he was thinking.. I am not saying it was premeditated.. this is no different then a hit from behind or to the head. All those guys say it wasn't their intention.. the fact is you can see him push his head into the boards..

Yes, there is some grey area. Chara will claim he didn't know the stanchion was there and the league will agree to believe him. I personally do not. He was looking directly at it as he extended his arms to push pacs into it....

I don't see this as a bang bang, too quick to react play on the part of Chara.. If he came at a different angle and wasn't really looking right at the boards, I would believe him, but at the angle he had, he saw it coming and he could have let up.. he didn't, so he should pay the price.

You guys are acting like this was like Bertuzzi and McSorley. What Boychuk did had just as much perceived intent yet none of you guys have mentioned that for hours.