GDT: Bruins vs Habs, Mar. 8

dlbalr

I see a grey area here honestly as well (not to gang up on you or anything). I think the issue stems from the direction of the head, did Chara deliberately push it, or was his momentum (and the fact he's much bigger), coupled with Pacioretty also being off balance slightly the key issue? Was it both? I'm not going to sit here and say one way or the other, but I truly do believe there is something that can be open to interpretation.

Don't worry about ganging up on me. I'll defend my point of view on this with anyone.

We'll just chalk this up to another " accient " that can be " interpreted " any number of ways.

In the mean time another up and coming player is out.

Awesome.

I think it's pretty clear from the tape that Chara was looking to inflict damage. Maybe he wasn't trying to snap Max's neck, but does that really make a difference?

Edited by BrenDittero

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At most I expect a two game suspension. The NHL will have a tough time proving intent.

Like C.C said, I don't think you need intent to suspend him. It was irresponsible and he should be held accountable for the result.

They don't have to prove intent.. they have rarely proved anything in handling out suspensions.

At most I expect a two game suspension. The NHL will have a tough time proving intent.

Don't worry about ganging up on me. I'll defend my point of view on this with anyone.

We'll just chalk this up to another " accient " that can be " interpreted " any number of ways.

In the mean time another up and coming player is out.

Awesome.

I think it's pretty clear from the tape that Chara was looking to inflict damage. Maybe he wasn't trying to snap Max's neck, but does that really make a difference?

Not one bit. But you're absolutely right: the NHL and its drooling commentariat will continue to dance along to the tune of 'intent' and 'accident' and 'unfortunate incident' until finally, someone winds up either dead or paraplegic.

I am not saying what he was thinking.. I am not saying it was premeditated.. this is no different then a hit from behind or to the head. All those guys say it wasn't their intention.. the fact is you can see him push his head into the boards..

Yes, there is some grey area. Chara will claim he didn't know the stanchion was there and the league will agree to believe him. I personally do not. He was looking directly at it as he extended his arms to push pacs into it....

I don't see this as a bang bang, too quick to react play on the part of Chara.. If he came at a different angle and wasn't really looking right at the boards, I would believe him, but at the angle he had, he saw it coming and he could have let up.. he didn't, so he should pay the price.

If it came out that it was intentional it would not surprise me at all, but every time somebody hits one of those extensions it is up in the air as to intent barring a hand on the back of the head driving it into the bar (like a wrestler smashing a guy into a turnbuckle). It doesn't look good, but that was almost the worst possible result from that play.

That would get you nowhere in a court of law. No threat, a shove that lead to some words and an attempted fight with no punches does not make it premeditated.

the short history between them is well documented. lots of visual content, interviews, and also players/journalists/management who could testify

the short history between them is well documented. lots of visual content, interviews, and also players/journalists/management who could testify

With no threat made and zero punches thrown it is all hearsay. If Chara had lipped off to the press then we are talking a different story.

Everything else is open to interpretation.

Like C.C said, I don't think you need intent to suspend him. It was irresponsible and he should be held accountable for the result.

How can it be a grey area hit while your 100% in agreement that Chara deserves a 10 game minimum?

Can't have it both ways.

Chara deserves more than 10 games ( which won't happen ) because of his deliberate actions which lead to one of the worst looking injuries I've seen in a long time.

No worries, just wanted to make sure I didn't come off that way.

Thanks for that. No kid gloves required when responding to one of my posts.

I have no intentions of taking my ball and going home.

With no threat made and zero punches thrown it is all hearsay. If Chara had lipped off to the press then we are talking a different story.

Everything else is open to interpretation.

Yeah; and the lesson is, if you want to kill a guy, be discreet in expressing your intention to do so. Then the NHL will give you a twinkie instead of suspending you appropriately. The question should be: were you responsible for this very dangerous play that led to grave injury? Then have fun golfing, chump, 'cause you're gone.

I think if intent was able to be proven, it would be a far greater suspension. But the NHL will most likely see this as an unfortunate event. Chara is arguing that he didn't know where he was on the ice, and didn't mean to push him into the stanchion. I don't know, as much as I want a hefty suspension, i just don't think its going to happen.

Chara: "I was riding him out and it was very unfortunate that at same time he leaned and hit glass extension" - complete BS

Edited by Habsfan84

How can it be a grey area hit while your 100% in agreement that Chara deserves a 10 game minimum?

Can't have it both ways.

Chara deserves more than 10 games ( which won't happen ) because of his deliberate actions which lead to one of the worst looking injuries I've seen in a long time.

Thanks for that. No kid gloves required when responding to one of my posts.

I have no intentions of taking my ball and going home.

He deserves a 10 game result because he needs to be responsible for his actions. It was careless but I can't make the leap and judge his intent like you have chosen to do.

Is that so hard to understand? You DO NOT need intent to be suspended for 10 games, he could have killed him.

I think if intent was able to be proven, it would be a far greater suspension. But the NHL will most likely see this as an unfortunate event. Chara is arguing that he didn't know where he was on the ice, and didn't mean to push him into the stanchion. I don't know, as much as I want a hefty suspension, i just don't think its going to happen.

100%. What will happen is that one of the days a young man will get killed in front of 20 000 people by exactly such an 'unfortunate event.' And his life will indirectly be on the hands of all those smug old-boys-network bastards who have done nothing in the past and will do nothing now. All i can say is, thank God it wasn't Patches.

He deserves a 10 game result because he needs to be responsible for his actions. It was careless but I can't make the leap and judge his intent like you have chosen to do.

Is that so hard to understand? You DO NOT need intent to be suspended for 10 games, he could have killed him.

What part of intentionally pushing Patch's head into the post absolves him from intent to injure?

I'm not jumping to any conclusions or reading Chara's mind. I don't need to it's right there in the replay. He had the opportunity to give one of the Habs a little payback and took it.

I saw it in every one of the 50 replays that have run over the last hour.

They just announced on RDS that Patches has a concussion. Nothing broken, but still it's a ######ing concussion, and we all know how that can ###### a players career. Max will be out for at least 7 days and they will re-evaluate him, If he isn'T better afte rthe first 7 days, well then it could mean he'll be out the rest of the season!

I'm sorry to be cynical at this moment, but even though I also believe Chara should get at least 10 games, you have be very naive if you actually think the NHL will suspend Chara for more than 2 games.

I'm still disgusted by this event and I have a nasty feeling that I'll be even more disgusted when I hear the verdict handed down to Chara!

What part of intentionally pushing Patch's head into the post absolves him from intent to injure?

I'm not jumping to any conclusions or reading Chara's mind. I don't need to it's right there in the replay. He had the opportunity to give one of the Habs a little payback and took it.

I saw it in every one of the 50 replays that have run over the last hour.

I could care less what your opinion is. If you don't like that I am not making the leap you are, once again, I don't care.

It may as well been a blindside hit b/c there is no reason for Pacs to prepare himself for that, it was a late hit. However I do find it hard to believe Chara intended to do that kind of damage.

They just announced on RDS that Patches has a concussion. Nothing broken, but still it's a ######ing concussion, and we all know how that can ###### a players career. Max will be out for at least 7 days and they will re-evaluate him, If he isn'T better afte rthe first 7 days, well then it could mean he'll be out the rest of the season!

I'm sorry to be cynical at this moment, but even though I also believe Chara should get at least 10 games, you have be very naive if you actually think the NHL will suspend Chara for more than 2 games.

I'm still disgusted by this event and I have a nasty feeling that I'll be even more disgusted when I hear the verdict handed down to Chara!

In all honesty, when somebody is knocked cold for 3-4 minutes you have to assume concussion.

At that point this is the best news you could hear. A concussion is much better than broken neck, cracked vertebrae etc.

The second I saw it I assumed he was gone for the season.

In all honesty, when somebody is knocked cold for 3-4 minutes you have to assume concussion.

At that point this is the best news you could hear. A concussion is much better than broken neck, cracked vertebrae etc.

The second I saw it I assumed he was gone for the season.

Each case is different. He might be out for the season, for two weeks, or never come back. We'll have to wish this young man a full recovery and hope for the best regarding his contribution for the team.

typical friggin bruins!

what are the fans saying???

F.V.C.K. You Chara, F.V.C.K. You Chara...they said it a few times loud enough that you could hear it on TSN!!!

Edited by Habsfan

I could care less what your opinion is. If you don't like that I am not making the leap you are, once again, I don't care.

That's good that you don't care. You don't care right? That's what you wanted everyone to know. That you don't care.

It's a public forum, get over it.

oh wait...you don't care.

If you really didn't care you would ignore my posts all together.

Edited by BrenDittero

Agreed. It's the best news under the circumstances. What really pisses me off was that Patches said it earlier in an interview today in LaPresse. He felt that he had a bullseye on his back...it was as if he knew something was gonna happen to him...and look. By coincidence this happens! :rolleyes:

However I do find it hard to believe Chara intended to do that kind of damage.

Really? It was obvious that Chara wanted to hurt MaxPac. Chara knew they were up against the boards, he knew that Max was somewhat off-balance and he knew that he wouldn't have to push him very hard and that Max would hit the boards hard. He may not have wanted to give Max a concussion, but i'm willing to bet that Chara had the late hit he got from Max in the 3rd game of the season between the Habs and the Bruins in his head when he just slightly pushed Max into the boards! HIs intent? I say bull shit. Chara knew what he was doing. He wanted revenge and he got it!

Agreed. It's the best news under the circumstances. What really pisses me off was that Patches said it earlier in an interview today in LaPresse. He felt that he had a bullseye on his back...it was as if he knew something was gonna happen to him...and look. By coincidence this happens! :rolleyes:

Really? It was obvious that Chara wanted to hurt MaxPac. Chara knew they were up against the boards, he knew that Max was somewhat off-balance and he knew that he wouldn't have to push him very hard and that Max would hit the boards hard. He may not have wanted to give Max a concussion, but i'm willing to bet that Chara had the late hit he got from Max in the 3rd game of the season between the Habs and the Bruins in his head when he just slightly pushed Max into the boards! HIs intent? I say bull shit. Chara knew what he was doing. He wanted revenge and he got it!

+1 Glad to see that others can spot intent when they see it.

Edited by BrenDittero