GDT: Bruins vs Habs, Mar. 8

dlbalr

Lost in this is the sad fact that we play these goons one more time. what do we do? Do we come out and try to play hockey with our usual line up and risk more gooning by Boston? Do we ice some goons to get revenge (and then have the league go nuts on the habs)?

What does a team do? In my opinion, the league is responsible for protecting the players. If they come down hard on chara and tell the Bruins ( and the habs) that any funny business in that next game will result in suspensions, then the next game will be an actual hockey game. If they let chara slide with nothing or a minor suspension, the Bruins will be free to intimidate, goon, and beat up the Habs players. the Habs will either have to goon back, or play the game scared.

I have seen this act before, and history tells me the NHL will not send a clear message to the Bruins. The message will be to the habs... "get some enforcers to protect yourself, but be careful, we suspend for retribution (see Gilles).

I think we play Boston on March 24th with an even better awareness of what Boston is capable of in their search for points. I don't believe that bringing in our own goon squad will help anything.

There is no question that Montreal is a better team who I imagine will win that game too.

No doubt the Bruins will again try to injure Habs players. We have no choice but to stick to the game plan, and by winning, expose them for the losers they are.

I really hope we play them in the first round, with Montreal in second place at the end of the regular season.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a carbon copy of Bertuzzi over Moore all over again with the help of the glass.

Disgusting.

Punish the aggressor for as long as the victim is out

No, Bertuzzi simularity starts after next meeting, when one of our players takes Chara into the boards head first, breaking his neck and is hung for it.

It is closer to Moore on Nasland.

Oh, and he has no history of this behavior, well unless you watch the last game we played them!

Hang the idiot. He is the perfect chance for the league to make a statement. Even Chara isn't above punishment for this. Maybe then people will take heed.

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

This is a carbon copy of Bertuzzi over Moore all over again with the help of the glass.

Disgusting.

Punish the aggressor for as long as the victim is out

Nowhere near the Bertuzzi incident which involved threats, a star player being hit, Moore getting in a fight in that game and Bertuzzi stalking him around the ice before punching him from behind.

Edited by Wamsley01

The screen capture proves he hit the head. The dialog by the Bruins was he was only checked into the boards, like it was a hip to hip contact. Pictures prove otherwise.

Let's take this to another context.. behind the net. Several times this year a player has been suspended because he used his hands to drive the player's head into the glass. so clearly, using your hands to push a guys head into the glass is hitting to the head. If Chara doesn't raise his hand and push his head in, this is probably a bounce off the boards. Still interference since their was no puck, but not an illegal style hit.

I am not arguing intent. I am arguing an illegal hit to the head causing injury. imo, 5 games should be the minimum.

I also don't believe for a second that Chara was unware that the glass was there and that he thought he was "pushing his head into air". He looked right as the glass when he did it. Best case, he could argue he was attempting to rub his head into the glass from the side, but hit too early and he went into the corner of the glass. That still leaves us with a high hit to the head.

Gillies has played 80 minutes and has 120+ penalty minutes. There is a huge difference.

The screen capture of impact proves nothing, if Chara's hand was behind Pacioretty's head directing it into the glass then it looks worse, but the video shows a guy rubbing a player out irresponsibly with devastating results.

Nowhere near the Bertuzzi incident which involved threats, a star player being hit, Moore getting in a fight in that game and Bertuzzi stalking him around the ice before punching him from behind.

True,

If we now theatened to take Chara out next game, Gill fought him, and then Suban L=pile drived him, then we have a bertuzzi incident. This is a Moore incident, and the league has to step up so the players don't need to!

"Chara should get some punishment. Maybe a game or two since it was such a viscious hit. However I'd give pacs at least 3 games just for jumping into the turnbuckle. That was disgraceful and typical of a mtl player to dive like that. No class whatsoever especially when royalty aka Boston Bruins roll up in the bell center. You better show us some dam respect habs fans or next time it will be gomez getting carried off!"

That is a quote from a Bruin's fan.. just wow... By the way, doesn't that sound a lot like Marchand's pregame comments...

The screen capture proves he hit the head. The dialog by the Bruins was he was only checked into the boards, like it was a hip to hip contact. Pictures prove otherwise.

Let's take this to another context.. behind the net. Several times this year a player has been suspended because he used his hands to drive the player's head into the glass. so clearly, using your hands to push a guys head into the glass is hitting to the head. If Chara doesn't raise his hand and push his head in, this is probably a bounce off the boards. Still interference since their was no puck, but not an illegal style hit.

I am not arguing intent. I am arguing an illegal hit to the head causing injury. imo, 5 games should be the minimum.

I also don't believe for a second that Chara was unware that the glass was there and that he thought he was "pushing his head into air". He looked right as the glass when he did it. Best case, he could argue he was attempting to rub his head into the glass from the side, but hit too early and he went into the corner of the glass. That still leaves us with a high hit to the head.

I agree 100% that a headshot should be punished and cannot argue with anything you are saying really.

He should be suspended for 5+, but he won't be.

True,

If we now theatened to take Chara out next game, Gill fought him, and then Suban L=pile drived him, then we have a bertuzzi incident. This is a Moore incident, and the league has to step up so the players don't need to!

The league won't and continues to stick their head up their ass in regards to player safety.

Their inconsistency is frustrating. The call on White is the reason the instigator rule exists and I have no problem with the call or White for doing what he did within the context of one game if you are going to enforce your rules and philosophy.

The problem is that when you put it in context within how the league "actually" calls the rule, then the call was absurd after what we witnessed in Boston a month ago. The NHL is a joke when consistency is involved and this will be no different.

I also agree with your assessment of the suspension, which is the problem with the nhl.

I agree 100% that a headshot should be punished and cannot argue with anything you are saying really.

He should be suspended for 5+, but he won't be.

Gillies has played 80 minutes and has 120+ penalty minutes. There is a huge difference.

This is not based on emotion, it is based on previous record and plausible deniability. All the other shit means nothing. Remove your anger from the situation and it looks different. It looks like Chara made a reckless challenge and accidently hurt a guy very badly.

The screen capture of impact proves nothing, if Chara's hand was behind Pacioretty's head directing it into the glass then it looks worse, but the video shows a guy rubbing a player out irresponsibly with devastating results.

The push behind the net is minor and does not prove motive. They haven't even fought before or engaged in a war of words outside of the ice. There isn't even a player coming out saying "I heard Chara say I am going to get you or kill you". It is a moot point that has no basis in fact.

I do not think there is a difference Wammy, Gillies actually was close to the puck when he did what he did, he was suspended that many games to send a message, and that's what has to happen here. 4-0 down, past history between the two out weighs how nice Chara is to old people, we forget about a couple years ago when Chara destroyed Ratinis eye socket after he was down on the ice in a fight. By Pax own admission before the game, it showed there was animosity between the teams and players. You say I cannot prove intent, but you cannot prove accident either, neither of us can, the only one who knows is Chara, and even IF he did it on purpose he wouldn't admit it.

I do not think there is a difference Wammy, Gillies actually was close to the puck when he did what he did, he was suspended that many games to send a message, and that's what has to happen here. 4-0 down, past history between the two out weighs how nice Chara is to old people, we forget about a couple years ago when Chara destroyed Ratinis eye socket after he was down on the ice in a fight. By Pax own admission before the game, it showed there was animosity between the teams and players. You say I cannot prove intent, but you cannot prove accident either, neither of us can, the only one who knows is Chara, and even IF he did it on purpose he wouldn't admit it.

GIllies was returning from a 10+ game suspension and on his first shift rammed somebody into the glass.

He is a monkey on skates. He would NOT have received 10 games if he played 28 minutes a night and had no prior major incidents on his record.

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hlg=20102011,2,957

Check out the play at 1:48 on this video... No surprise who taught Chara to use the stanchion.. Lucic.. Two plays in two games by the bruins using the corner glass to nail a guy.. one guy bounces off fine.. the other is almost killed.

Got to love the Bruins.

If my memory serves me right, last year laps recieved a four game suspension for nudging a player who was off balance from behind this year cammi got 1 game for slashing a player after the player went after his head and no suspension to the isle player. We were fine with both because know wants to see anyone get hurt but IMHO charas hit was very similar to laps hit, by that I mean know need to hit a player when he is off balance and shouldn't be expecting to get hit therefore cannot protect himself. So if everyone was fine with laps getting 4 when know one was injured I don't see why 5 games would be unreasonable here.

GIllies was returning from a 10+ game suspension and on his first shift rammed somebody into the glass.

He is a monkey on skates. He would NOT have received 10 games if he played 28 minutes a night and had no prior major incidents on his record.

His hit was in response to Clutterbuck railing the Isle player into the boards headfirst, which gets glazed over by the media and fans alike. I'm sure Pax is cool with Chara not getting a suspension cause Chara hasn't done this before. I'm sure that'll make him feel so much better, not like any length would ease the pain he's likely to have. We'll just have to disagree Wammy.

On a better note, I gained a lot of respect for White and for Gomez last night, Gomez for all his downfalls sticks up for his teamates and he was in Charas face afterwards and I liked that.

His hit was in response to Clutterbuck railing the Isle player into the boards headfirst, which gets glazed over by the media and fans alike. I'm sure Pax is cool with Chara not getting a suspension cause Chara hasn't done this before. I'm sure that'll make him feel so much better, not like any length would ease the pain he's likely to have. We'll just have to disagree Wammy.

On a better note, I gained a lot of respect for White and for Gomez last night, Gomez for all his downfalls sticks up for his teamates and he was in Charas face afterwards and I liked that.

It has nothing to do with Pacioretty's feeling on the issue though. That is emotion talking.

How can you deny that Gillies having more PIM's than playing time or that he did something reckless on his first shift after a 10 gamer was not influential and not the same as what happened last night.

I'm no expert Wammy, I just know it's easier to suspend a career AHLer than it is to suspend a superstar. Whether thats right or wrong.

Edited by bar

I,m disgusted by this. I can't believe people are actually defending this guy. I don't care what his reputation is. He can be the most respected player in the league, It doesn't change a ######ing thing. He pushed Max's head towards the stanchion. His intent might not have been to seriously injure Max, but he definitely wanted to hurt him...why else would he direct his head towards the stanchion?

Just announced on the Team 990, Max has fractured vertebrae. His career might be in jeopardy!

I feel like puking!

Edited by Habsfan

I'm no expert Wammy, I just know it's easier to suspend a career AHLer than it is to suspend a superstar. Whether thats right or wrong.

Chara is no bigger star than Bertuzzi was....

You broke his neck , see you in a couple seasons?

Sounds right.

Now we are seeing how emotional we all get. GRRRRRR!!!

Someone take that mothers knees out on him.

I hate the Bruins, this is not new. They gooned Rocket, lead to a brawl when he retaliated. They gooned with Terry O Rielly and all, The Espo Team was half goons. It is the Bruins game and always has been. We suck but will try and intimidate, but suck too much to win a cup.

Chara is a typical Bruin, and he should be sent packing. With or without his ACLs attached....

Is it too late to bring Emelin in for the next matchup?

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

I,m disgusted by this. I can't believe people are actually defending this guy. I don't care what his reputation is. He can be the most respected player in the league, It doesn't change a ######ing thing. He pushed Max's head towards the stanchion. His intent might not have been to seriously injure Max, but he definitely wanted to hurt him...why else would he direct his head towards the stanchion?

Just announced on the Team 990, Max has fractured vertebrae. His career might be in jeopardy!

I feel like puking!

I am not defending Chara, I am defending the burden of proof.

I have said over and over that he needs to be suspended based on the result.

Max Pac has a broken neck and I am not angry. I am upset and sad and feel a sense of loss and I imagine we all feel like that right now.

Where the anger will surface is when the NHL totally ######s this up over the next day and a half. Then my anger will be the residual effect of the personal loss as a Habs fan x by my hate of Bettman/Campbell/Murphy and their inconsistent stupidity.

Edited by Wamsley01

I get what you're saying now Wammy, I can respect that...after the recent news of Pax injury the argument seems silly and childish and useless right now.

I am not defending Chara, I am defending the burden of proof.

I have said over and over that he needs to be suspended based on the result.

Max Pac has a broken neck and I am not angry. I am upset and sad and feel a sense of loss and I imagine we all feel like that right now.

Where the anger will surface is when the NHL totally ######s this up over the next day and a half. Then my anger will be the residual effect of the personal loss as a Habs fan x by my hate of Bettman/Campbell/Murphy and their inconsistent stupidity.

I have jumped to the anger knowing how they will screw it up. Why wait? It is coming. 2 games.

I have jumped to the anger knowing how they will screw it up. Why wait? It is coming. 2 games.

I don't know now. "Fractured vertebrae" changes the public perception from concussion, a word that we are now numb to.

That could alter the NHL's outlook and punishment even though it shouldn't.

If the NHL is smart they give him 10 games and it goes away. The media lauds them for taking a stand and the only complaints come from Boston. If they are too lenient they risk backlash from Montreal media + US and Canadian media.