Chara non-suspension talk

dlbalr

18 members have voted

1. 1. How many games, if any, will Chara get?

• 5+

Now he may face criminal charges! This ought to take the smirk of the slav giants face.

http://www.citytv.co...-over-chara-hit

I have contacted both Ford and McDonalds asking them if they will join AC in fighting head injuries.

Viva la revolution!

Edited by johnnyhasbeen

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so proud of our national airline right now!

Here's what I just e-mailed to Air Canada. I encourage everyone to do likewise.

According to media reports, your company is threatening to withdraw its sponsorship of the NHL unless the league takes immediate action regarding irresponsible hits to the head of the kind we witnessed in Montreal on March 8. I strongly commend Air Canada's courageous and principled stand in defence of the integrity of our national game and the fundamental safety of NHL players. This is an absolutely outstanding example of corporate leadership. My family and I wish to thank you for this and urge you to stand by this position.

According to media reports, your company is threatening to withdraw its sponsorship of the NHL unless the league takes immediate action regarding irresponsible hits to the head of the kind we witnessed in Montreal on March 8. I strongly commend Air Canada's courageous and principled stand in defence of the integrity of our national game and the fundamental safety of NHL players. This is an absolutely outstanding example of corporate leadership. My family and I wish to thank you for this and urge you to stand by this position.

Hear Hear!

what is their email address?

Edited by YeahBud

I have talked to a lot of my friends how say it looked like a clean rub out along the boards. In every case, they have seen one angle, the angle slightly behind Chara which makes it look like a body check. If you see other angles, you clearly see that he did not make a body check on Pacs. He reached out with his arms and shoved him, as it happens, directly into the turnbuckle. I do not believe that is a valid hockey play, especially when there was no race for the puck.. the race was already won by Pacs and chipped all the way down the ice. Frankly, at that point, Pacs momentum carried him in a straight line down the boards.

Another interesting angle I say shows what Chara saw.. the puck in the other end, two Bruins back and one getting the puck. Absolutely zero reason to even interfere with Pacs, the puck was going to be shot out of the zone to end the period. So why did Chara reach out and shove him?

I contend that Chara used his arm up high to direct Pacs into the turnbuckle. I can't prove he intended to injure him, no one can. I can prove that this hit directed the head into the glass. It was a high hit for sure, but it is hard to prove it first contacted the head. Regardless, it is pretty clear that he made an unnecessary hit to a vulnerable player. I don't see this as any different then pushing a player on an icing and causing him to go head first into the boards. That would get you suspended.

So the only defense Chara has is that he didn't know the turnbuckle was there and that he was "rubbing the player out". I am sure that is what he said in the interview. The NHL wanted to believe it, so they did. I think the evidence is clear this was a push from behind. I think it is very far fetched to think Chara didn't know the turnbuckle was there, he has 4 strides to watch it coming.

I also find it amazing that Pacs was not interviewed to get his side of the story. ie.. I was skating up the boards and I was pushed on my shoulder/head and that is how I ended up with the face plant. I was not hit on the shoulder or hips. I guess no one represented Pacs.

I am at least heartened that Air Canada, several members of the government, and some media people are taking notice. I doubt it will change this ruling. I doubt it will change anything, but at least Bettman will feel some heat. They might want to ask why nothing was said after the fiasco in Boston which makes the fact that Pacs got hammered into a turnbuckle seem rather too coincidental.

I just got off the phone with TIm Horton's and asked them to join AC in their plight to stop head injuries in NHL. They seemed quite concerned. If we can get one more sponsor speaking out this will steamroll.

"I think most guys try to slow a guy up," said Leafs defenceman Luke Schenn. "You're not going to push him with that kind of force, and most guys aren't as strong as him. It's just an unfortunate play and you hate to see it happen."

"I thought it was a dirty play. I thought he knew exactly what he was doing," said Vancouver Canucks forward Tanner Glass. "It's unfortunate that a player got hurt that way."

"I think if you poll 700 NHL players, a good majority are going to say he knows exactly what he was doing and he knows the turnbuckle's there."

These are player quotes. I find it interesting that the ones defending Chara are either former teammates, or goons. Chris Neil for example thinks it is a good hit. Ron Wilson thinks that is fine. I agree with the last quote.. players do not buy the excuse that he was unaware of the turnbuckle. He knew it was there and he chose to push him into it. I am sure he didn't think it would do that much damage, but I do believe he thought it would hurt. I am convinced that if he was anywhere else on the ice, he would not have even bothered with the interference, since anywhere else, that push would have had zero effect on Pacs, not even slow him down. It was only having the glass there to push him into that allowed the push to be effective.

I have talked to a lot of my friends how say it looked like a clean rub out along the boards. In every case, they have seen one angle, the angle slightly behind Chara which makes it look like a body check. If you see other angles, you clearly see that he did not make a body check on Pacs. He reached out with his arms and shoved him, as it happens, directly into the turnbuckle. I do not believe that is a valid hockey play, especially when there was no race for the puck.. the race was already won by Pacs and chipped all the way down the ice. Frankly, at that point, Pacs momentum carried him in a straight line down the boards.

Another interesting angle I say shows what Chara saw.. the puck in the other end, two Bruins back and one getting the puck. Absolutely zero reason to even interfere with Pacs, the puck was going to be shot out of the zone to end the period. So why did Chara reach out and shove him?

I contend that Chara used his arm up high to direct Pacs into the turnbuckle. I can't prove he intended to injure him, no one can. I can prove that this hit directed the head into the glass. It was a high hit for sure, but it is hard to prove it first contacted the head. Regardless, it is pretty clear that he made an unnecessary hit to a vulnerable player. I don't see this as any different then pushing a player on an icing and causing him to go head first into the boards. That would get you suspended.

So the only defense Chara has is that he didn't know the turnbuckle was there and that he was "rubbing the player out". I am sure that is what he said in the interview. The NHL wanted to believe it, so they did. I think the evidence is clear this was a push from behind. I think it is very far fetched to think Chara didn't know the turnbuckle was there, he has 4 strides to watch it coming.

I also find it amazing that Pacs was not interviewed to get his side of the story. ie.. I was skating up the boards and I was pushed on my shoulder/head and that is how I ended up with the face plant. I was not hit on the shoulder or hips. I guess no one represented Pacs.

I am at least heartened that Air Canada, several members of the government, and some media people are taking notice. I doubt it will change this ruling. I doubt it will change anything, but at least Bettman will feel some heat. They might want to ask why nothing was said after the fiasco in Boston which makes the fact that Pacs got hammered into a turnbuckle seem rather too coincidental.

In all honesty, I never cared about intent. Looking at some of the replays it looks like a Gorilla playing with a toy.

I just can't get over the fact that they chose to focus on the least important part of this whole thing and that is intent. The greyest of grey areas.

In their decision they NEVER mentioned puck position, they never mentioned severity of injury, possible motive based on history. They chose not to do their due diligence and that is absolutely disgraceful.

You have to forgive individuals outside the bubble is that they don't really care like we do. Think of how in depth you looked into the David Booth fiasco. I watched the highlight and thought suspension. When there was no suspension I was outraged for 5-6 seconds and moved on. All because I have no emotional attachment to the situation. I didn't analyze the verdict. I didn't care what Richards had to say, I just knew that that little weasel had destroyed a career.

In retrospect it becomes absurd and the NHL's "wheel of justice" has been absurd for plenty of franchises over the last 5 years. Can you really fault a Boston fan who has watched their best player's career ended and their next possible superstar possibly ruined and they have seen 2 games handed out in suspensions? Add in that Cam Neely's career was destroyed with no suspension. They are happy there is no suspension because they have been ######ed over multiple times by the idiot that is Colin Campbell.

EOTP put up an article in which they reference plenty of previous infractions and it is an absolute joke. If I was that incompetent at my job I would not have one right now. No rhyme or reason for decisions, double talk and an absolute lack of transparency, precedent, consistency and continuity.

I said it yesterday. The hit made me sad, not angry and I knew that my anger would move to the NHL because they don't care that a 22 year old is lying in a hospital bed and was millimeters away from sipping food through a straw for the rest of his life.

The notion that government may step in is kind of funny. This is solely the left wing nuts trying to get exposer for the next election. What is ironic is that they have threatened to cut spending to the CBC, which harbors Ignatia's cronies. Do you think Ignatia wants to cut spending to the CBC? Not!

I e-mailed my letter to Air Canada's media relations people: media@aircanada.ca. Unfortunately their website does not seem to contain a general e-address, so hopefully this is an appropriate venue.

Johnny, your idea of pressuring Tim Horton's is excellent. I just sent them an e-mail reinforcing your message. If they don't respond, we should consider organizing a boycott.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

What is ironic is that they have threatened to cut spending to the CBC, which harbors Ignatia's cronies. Do you think Ignatia wants to cut spending to the CBC? Not!

The proposed cuts to the CBC make up only 1% of their operating budget. I don't think its as big and issue as you make it out to be,

"Unless the NHL takes immediate action with serious suspension to the players in question to curtail these life-threatening injuries, Air Canada will withdraw its sponsorship of hockey."

Air Canada threatens NHL over headshots

Colour me impressed. This is exactly what needed to happen... threaten dollars and maybe the NHL listens.

I have to say that I am very surprised by Air Canada! Pleasantly surprised! Now if only a few more companies (cough! cough! Molson cough! cough!) could do the same, it might get the message through to that prick of a lawyer called Bettman in NYC!!

I am so proud of our national airline right now!

Yeah me too. Billing Montreal - Vancouver flights the exact same price as Montreal - Edinburgh. Pretty efficient way to help out your own country.

######ing rat lawyer!!! I never really hated Bettman before. I didn't like him, but I didn't hate him either... but after reading this, I wanna tear his guts out!

Typical arrogant New-York Lawyer.

I really really hope other sponsors will start threatening the NHl like AC did!

I also sent AC an e-mail congratulating them on their decision. I think I will do the same to Tim Hortons and Molson.

http://www.thestar.c...he-game-bettman

Yeah, Bettman essentially gives a giant ###### you to Air Canada. I don't think I can hate that guy anymore.

In the article, Gary Bettman is outlining that we won't be bullied or intimidated by Air Canada. An attack on his business and livelihood will not be tolerated.

Life must be pretty nice in the hypocritical bubble you've created for yourself Gary.

Too bad Pacioretty and the game of hockey can't benefit from this logic as well.

Edited by BrenDittero

Voici ce que je leur ai écrit :

Chère Air-Canada, notre ligne aérienne nationale,

Dire que je n'apprécie pas votre engagement auprès de la noble cause de la violence dans le sport (hockey) serait un mensonge honteux.

Cependant, dire que je n'apprécierais pas tout autant, et sinon plus, un engagement de votre part dans une cause du type "aider-l'économie-du-pays-en-arrêtant-de-charger-le-même-prix-de-marde-pour-un-vol-Montréal-Vancouver-et-un-vol-Montréal-Edinburgh" serait un mensonge encore plus honteux.

Merci xx

JoeLassister

Grand amateur de hockey et individu qui voudrait visiter la Côte-Ouest du Canada si le prix de vos billets d'avion pour Vancouver offraient ne serait-ce qu'un début de compensation avantageuse au fait qu'on peut aller se chercher des milliers d'années d'histoire supplémentaires en Europe pour le même ######ing prix.

In the article, Gary Bettman is outlining that we won't be bullied or intimidated by Air Canada. An attack on his business and livelihood will not be tolerated.

Life must be pretty nice in the hypocritical bubble you've created for yourself Gary.

Too bad Pacioretty and the game of hockey can't benefit from this logic as well.

The guy reacts to everything like this. It's amazing that he was a lawyer.

Well, nobody should be surprised at Bettman's stance. He's not going to undermine his own people. He'll toe the party line and continue to do so. His comments about Air Canada are completely dripping with arrogance, which is also no unexpected.

In the States, it's general indifference. "Oh look, another horrible hockey play, let's see the big hit on SportsCenter." Watching the various shows last night, Versus "NHL Overtime" and "On The Fly" on the NHL network, all of the talking heads there defending Chara and applauded the NHL for not suspending him. I was a bit surprised that Dreger was defending it on the NHL Network. Ditto across the board at ESPN (Melrose, Burnside, Lebrun). Since the US media isn't up-in-arms about it, that's good for Bettman, where he's trying to continue to grow the sport. The league offices can brush it aside, as it's a Canadian team and be done with it.

I saw they suspended Kubina for his shot on Bolland last night, that wasn't penalized in game.

If you cause a player to be injured, then you have to be responsible for the play that you're involved in, if there's any carelessness or recklessness in it.

- Colin Campbell on Ovechkin's suspension, March 2010

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/03/colin_campbell_explains_ovechk.html

It's the wheel of justice. Spin it and award whatever number it lands on.

After looking into this yesterday it is a waste to bring up hypocrisy's because the job has already been done for us by every fanbase who has been a victim of a ridiculous ruling like the one we witnessed yesterday.

Savard, Booth, Bergeron etc etc.

The NHL DOESN'T CARE. We just found out 24 hours ago and "insert fanbase here" is going to find out when it happens to them in the next month.

I really can't believe how little the league seems to value Pacioretty's safety (and really that of all their players) by sticking their fingers in their ears over this blatantly intentional hit. Whether he meant to cause those kinds of injuries or not, the fact of the matter is that Chara's deliberate actions caused serious harm and could've put Pacioretty in a wheel chair for life. Being from Montreal, I can tell you that the entire city is absolutely enraged over this ruling and one of the local radio stations even started a facebook page to demand justice:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/CJAD-Wants-Justice-for-Pacioretty/205088919502878

Habs showing leadership:

http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/46892

:clap:

I know what Wamsley is saying - if it's not your team, you wince and move on, until it's YOUR guy who is lying there twitching. But I prefer to think that this incident has at least a chance of serving as a catalyst for change.

Speaking for myself, the Crosby hit was where I got truly concerned that the league was 100% out of control. To see the league's greatest player destroyed by a reckless hit, with absolutely zero disciplinary implications, was shocking. The horror-show on Tuesday raised it to another level because it was within a hair's breadth of being fatal - it would be surprising if that didn't cause people to sit up and ask what the hell is going on here. Pacioretty is the canary in the coal mine. Someone WILL die if change doesn't happen. We were just 'lucky' it wasn't Patches.