Chara non-suspension talk

dlbalr

18 members have voted

1. 1. How many games, if any, will Chara get?

• 5+

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

was just about to post those... yup.. interview the goons and they agree with the league. Interview decent players or players who are not just chara's buddies and you start to hear some common sense.

I love how they point out the other dirty plays by Chara and Lucic that are deemed acceptable, as well as the BS about blaming the fixed object.

Love the Thornton quote. 'I'm not saying it's because Campbell's kid plays on the Bruins...' Which is, of course, EXACTLY what he's saying. :clap: The guy's got a future in politics. And very classy of the Canucks' players to take the side of decency, notwithstanding the NHL's bullcrap and the cone of silence it tries to impose on all dissent. Bravo.

was just about to post those... yup.. interview the goons and they agree with the league. Interview decent players or players who are not just chara's buddies and you start to hear some common sense.

I love how they point out the other dirty plays by Chara and Lucic that are deemed acceptable, as well as the BS about blaming the fixed object.

Former MVPs. I am sure if they asked another former MVP named Crosby he would have something similar to say.

I've got new found respect for THornton and Sedin - well i've always liked him.

It's also nice to see one Don Cherry's golden boys speaking out against the big bad broons. Granted he has an axe to grind, but nevertheless its gutsy.

I've been seeing for years, why the hell does the NHL have an exgoon type player (Campbell), or a goon lover (Burke), in charge of discipline. You should have someone like a Bossy who had his career ruined by gutless crosschecks to the back.

I also am so pissed off in Calgary - ALL of the radio announcers - including their hall of famer joke of an announcer Peter Maher- saying that there shouldn't have been a suspension and it was a hockey play.

I'm still so pissed, couldnt watch the game tonight, just caught the last 5 minutes.

This is my favourite part from the article. It brings up a really good point of the no history rule in determining disciplinary action.

You can't give him anything. And you tell the guys [Chara] has no history, so the next time he does it he still has no history because he didn't get suspended. I don't see the reasoning behind it. Give him at least something to show that's not acceptable."

I've got new found respect for THornton and Sedin

Ditto... Sedin's point is exactly why the NHL screwed this up... Had the NHL severed with a two or even ONE game suspension.. perhaps we wouldnt be talking about this

Bettman is a classic narcissist. Lots of leaders of big business are. I'm pretty sure it's what's got him where he is today.

As long as the NHL remains profitable in the US, that is the bottom line for Bettman and his career.

Canada had built in profitability because it's our game. Canada and Canadian teams aren't even on his radar because of his hubris with regard to GUARANTEED revenue.

There will be no changing of the guard unless the league as a whole begins hemorrhaging so much money it becomes impossible for his peers to ignore his ineptness.

It's a game for us and a piggy bank for Bettman and the rest of the goon squad.

Edited by BrenDittero

Just read this article in the Globe and Mail. It's worth your time. It's about Bettman's general ineffectiveness as commissioner.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/stephen-brunt/bettman-fiddles-while-nhl-burns/article1937698/

Stephen Brunt is da man!!! He's always been one of the most level headed reporters/journalists i've read/listen to.

Good on him for this article!

Edited by Habsfan

BY the way, In case someone tells you that Chara didn't intend to steer Max's head into the stanchion...

6710.jpg

Edited by Habsfan

I've lost interest in the NHL, and considering I follow the Habs closely on a daily basis, that's saying a lot.

It all makes sense folks....

"The Globe adds that one of the biggest backers to get Bettman the extension was Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs, who is the league's chairman of the board of governors. As chairman, one of Jacobs's duties is to keep the commissioner and the other key executives under contract."

Just wanted to add my 2 cents worth about the police investigation into this Incident. In theory I do not agree with police investigating incidents in a sport where assault occurs on a nightly basis. I do believe it should be sorted out on the ice or by the league.

HOWEVER (shouting - I know) in this case (and several others this season) the league has clearly shown it is not willing or able to police its own players.

I am disgusted at Bettmans reaction to air canada which in my mind shows the NHL really has lost touch with public opinion and if it takes criminal charges against a player to change things then I say go for it.

Best Wishes Patches

GO HABS GO

Good for them, although I wish they'd put their money where their mouth is.

Nothing would make me happier than multiple major corporations yanking their sponsorship money and forcing Bettman to kiss some ass.

Going at the war alone like Air Canada did is just foolish.

How long do you think Air Transat have been waiting for this ?

It's only foolish if nobody else joins the cause. If it mushrooms then Air Canada becomes the catalyst for change and gets credit for saving the NHL. That is why leadership is harder than it looks. Leadership requires you to take chances and stand for what you believe in even in the midst of criticism or stress. Sitting it out is easy.

Anybody can sit there and complain and do nothing. Look at this messageboard for proof.

Anybody can sit there and complain and do nothing. Look at this messageboard for proof.

Just out of curiosity, what should the people of this message board do?

What have you done?

This is not meant to be a smart ass comment.

Edited by BrenDittero

The point that gets me is that people argue that it wasn't on purpose so no suspsension. So I ask you if you really thought Chara did what he did 100% on purpose what suspension would you expect. I for one would be talking about something in the range of 20 games or more. I am willing to accept that we cannot prove he did it on purpose and as such he only deserves five games for not taking proper precautions when delivering a hit in violation of the rules.

Edited by maritimehabsfan