Can Montreal Pass Boston for 3rd?

bbp

???????? Where do you dream that up from? We were 2-2 against them last year

They defeated a Montreal team that had given all it had in the first two rounds, that is all.

Philly and Boston are not teams we need to fear, we tend to be able to beat them both.

However is we have to face NYI or Edmonton I am shaking in my shoes.

You do all realize that if we hadn't dropped 6 points to those teams we would be in 1st and not having this discussion thread?

Montreal was shut out 3 times by Michael Leighton = Philly put on a defensive clinic. It's as if they're specifically designed for kicking Montreal's ass.

Every team in the league loses games to lower seeds. What kind of excuse is it to say, "Sure, over 82 games, your team did better than ours but had we not sucked in a few games, we would have finished above you!?" If Montreal's lost multiple games to NYI, TOR, ATL and EDM, that needs to be factored in to your assessment of the team. Sucking is not an excuse for sucking.

I think people really overrate the value of the standings to determine who will or "should" win a game. Upsets happen every night in the NHL.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people really overrate the value of the standings to determine who will or "should" win a game. Upsets happen every night in the NHL.

Like Montreal Philly perhaps

Yes, it reasonable that Montreal could beat Philly but we won't know this year unless they face the Flyers in the second round.

A bit of a non issue for the rest of the regular season.

Sure. But I'm not basing my opinion on the standings. Montreal could very well win a series against Philly but there's no sense denying that Philly would have the better odds.

The TSN panel is about to discuss whether another playoff "miracle" is possible for Montreal his year.

Doesn't sound like they think much of our potential to catch Boston!

The TSN panel is about to discuss whether another playoff "miracle" is possible for Montreal his year.

Doesn't sound like they think much of our potential to catch Boston!

TSN is clueless. This isn't 1986, the 7 and 8 seed wins with regularity in the salary cap world.

Therefore it isn't a miracle for any low seed to win.

Edited by Wamsley01

TSN is clueless. This isn't 1986, the 7 and 8 seed wins with regularity in the salary cap world.

Not just that but Montreal is a #6 seed who they JUST said had a good chance at finishing #3, ahead of Bruins that they all consider a contender.

MacTavish points to last April and this game as if Montreal has been playing rope-a-dope for every game in between.

We were barely in the playoffs last year, made it on the last day. This year we are a sure bet with ten games left and the lowest we really can get is 6th unless we self destruct. It is completely different circumstances then last year!

05-06 Edmonton was 8th seed and made the final, Last year Philly was 7th and made the final, 03-04 Calgary were in 6th (i know before lockout but still)

Since the lockout its a 40% chance one of the teams in the final is from the bottom two seeds! Silly TSN.

Lots of low seeded teams have made it to the finals in resent years!

We were barely in the playoffs last year, made it on the last day. This year we are a sure bet with ten games left and the lowest we really can get is 6th unless we self destruct. It is completely different circumstances then last year!

05-06 Edmonton was 8th seed and made the final, Last year Philly was 7th and made the final, 03-04 Calgary were in 6th (i know before lockout but still)

Since the lockout its a 40% chance one of the teams in the final is from the bottom two seeds! Silly TSN.

Lots of low seeded teams have made it to the finals in resent years!

Two comments. First, Montreal will finish sixth. It's pretty set at this point. The other teams in front have a fair edge and, save for Pittsburgh, far healthier teams. The team behind Montreal are in a dogfight for the final two spots and, save for a major meltdown, are of no concern.

Second, should the Devils storm to a playoff position and face Philly in the first round, I predict Philly goes down. The matchup does not favour the Flyers at all, in my opinion.

Two comments. First, Montreal will finish sixth. It's pretty set at this point. The other teams in front have a fair edge and, save for Pittsburgh, far healthier teams. The team behind Montreal are in a dogfight for the final two spots and, save for a major meltdown, are of no concern.

Second, should the Devils storm to a playoff position and face Philly in the first round, I predict Philly goes down. The matchup does not favour the Flyers at all, in my opinion.

I agree with both statements,

If the Devils make it in they will be ridding such a wave it will take them to at leased the conference final, I dunno if they will have enough in the tank, they have been playing playoff hockey for a while now and could run outta steam.

I agree with both statements,

If the Devils make it in they will be ridding such a wave it will take them to at leased the conference final, I dunno if they will have enough in the tank, they have been playing playoff hockey for a while now and could run outta steam.

The Devils making it to the playoffs is a big ' if ' though. They're 2 points back from Toronto and 6 back from Buffalo who currently have 8th place.

Agreed that New Jersey is on a good run but jumping 3 spots in 2.5 weeks will be a miracle with the teams they're up against.

Someone else might have to step up and slay the giant this time.

The Devils making it to the playoffs is a big ' if ' though. They're 2 points back from Toronto and 6 back from Buffalo who currently have 8th place.

Agreed that New Jersey is on a good run but jumping 3 spots in 2.5 weeks will be a miracle with the teams they're up against.

Someone else might have to step up and slay the giant this time.

Funny, the Devils remind me a lot of the 07-08 Capitals who stormed back to win their Division after being a miserable 14th in the East early in the season. Honestly, I will go out on a limb here, but I say they make the playoffs.

Funny, the Devils remind me a lot of the 07-08 Capitals who stormed back to win their Division after being a miserable 14th in the East early in the season. Honestly, I will go out on a limb here, but I say they make the playoffs.

Apologies, I missed that they have 2 games in hand over Carolina and Toronto, and they are on a good run.

Lucky you, people of this thread. I chose it as the subject of this week's Around the Boards (have to move the focus away from Chara and the NHL's "discipline" at one point...)

http://habsworld.net...cle.php?id=2426

I feel right special now, first thread I created gets picked for Around the Boards! :D

Boston just got dropped 5-2 in Toronto. Bruins looked pretty rough, especially Thomas in the first period.

If we can get 2 points out of Minnesota the Habs are within 1 of tying.

The plot thickens.

Still lots of hockey left in the season but I like where were going. Hopefully Plek, Halpy and Gill will return asap.

Edited by BrenDittero

Still lots of hockey left in the season but I like where were going. Hopefully Plek, Halpy and Gill will return asap.

The return of some key players would really vitalize the team!

I have too say though, we really are a deep organization, how many other teams could pull out a win with 9 players injured!

March 24th game in bruinville will tell all.

Not sure if we need Henry or we're gonna get bullied around for the 3rd straight time.

I'm sure Subban , Price will be targets since the Bruins can't play on same level they resort to violence.

March 24th game in bruinville will tell all.

Not sure if we need Henry or we're gonna get bullied around for the 3rd straight time.

I'm sure Subban , Price will be targets since the Bruins can't play on same level they resort to violence.

Calling up a Henry essentially says that the Bruins' physicality has gotten into the organization's head and does little to help the team. Montreal's speed and transition have long been the Achilles heel of the B's and there is no sense for the Canadiens to try being something they are not at this point in the season. The Habs are just not the most physical group and that's fine.

I think we should bring up Alex Henry,Jimmy Bonneau,and Andrew Conboy..i dont what lose anymore guys before the playoffs and we all know boston well be out to hurt us..

I think we should bring up Alex Henry,Jimmy Bonneau,and Andrew Conboy..i dont what lose anymore guys before the playoffs and we all know boston well be out to hurt us..

I believe it has been mentioned a few times montreal doesnt have Bonneau signed too a contract so he cannot be brought up.

Personally I say call up no one and just beat them on the score board... No point calling people up we will probably playing them in the first round.

I understand the position that Montreal needs some brute force on the 24th but goals win games not fights.

Montreal has proven themselves more than capable of putting the screws to Boston in the goals dept.