GDT: Habs @ Boo-uins March 24th, 2011

bar

What a surprise that everybody is overreacting.

This game is not a "statement game" anymore than when Montreal was blown out and beat up in Boston. How soon we forgot that Montreal was dominating the Bruins 4-0 in Montreal before Chara reacted like the ape he is.

Everybody gets a fresh start in 2 weeks. This team has bounced back from adversity time after time this season and they will likely win some games you don't expect them to over the final 7 games. Remove the emotion and view it for what it was, 2 points.

The regular season means NOTHING come playoff time. Either the Habs are a solid team or they aren't, we will find out in April, there is no sense fretting about it.

Well, losing 7-0, especially in a much-hyped game against a hated rival, does tend to cast a pall over a team, so the fan response is totally understandable. Nevertheless, it *is* kind of ridiculous to see how many commentators are now writing with absolute certainty that the Habs obviously will never be able to beat Boston in the playoffs. :rolleyes: I guess there has been a rupture in the space-time continuum such that the previous game, in which we absolutely dominated them, never happened.

The play of core guys like Gomer Pyle and Cammy is genuine cause for concern. Other than that, this game had more to do with weird but temporary psychological effects stemming from Chara's brutal attack, injuries and slumping individual players, a sore Price, and a team that's out of sorts at the moment for all of the above reasons, than about decisively resolving the question of which team will win a playoff series several weeks from now. If you ask me these guys looked in the mirror and concluded that they did not have the will, energy, or physical heath to bring the necessary intensity to that specific game; nor did they wish to make the required sacrifices to win the division - something that would demand a supreme effort from here on in - under these circumstances. That is a very different thing from not having these qualities for the playoffs.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be interested to read that artice.

The sad part is the patients on the psych unit here learn faster than most of the habs players.

I have to ask the question, I wonder if some of our membership is using that same computer?

I have to ask the question, I wonder if some of our membership is using that same computer?

It's just one loss in a not so bad season, would love to read a paragraph of your thoughts re: current state of the Habs / last nights loss / whatever you like.

The acerbic one liners aren't saying much.

I'll be interested to read that artice.

The sad part is the patients on the psych unit here learn faster than most of the habs players.

It's up now, discussing who are the most and least effective at staying away from minor penalties relative to ice time. There were a few surprises when I started filtering the data this morning.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2435

Nice read, like you i was surprised about Gomez.

The other thing i noticed i wouldn't have any idea how to get the info but they always seem to take a penalty right after they score a goal or change the momentum. They also have a great kill and immediately take a dumb one.

The only thing that didn't surprise me was the young players at the top of the list.

It's just one loss in a not so bad season, would love to read a paragraph of your thoughts re: current state of the Habs / last nights loss / whatever you like.

The acerbic one liners aren't saying much.

My thoughts should be well documented from months back. The reference to the Phych are in reference to the mania in the past two weeks. The habs are too small up front, they have little or no protection. I am not a Martin fan, and I am not a Gomez fan. I have to admit that we are in a better spot than I predicted but we are falling quickly. I think Martin will get a pass no matter what happens. I think our talent (prospects)pool has taken a hit this year and will next year realitive to the rest of division. I don't mind Timmins but he is not an elite visionary as some would have it. You want more?

My thoughts should be well documented from months back. The reference to the Phych are in reference to the mania in the past two weeks. The habs are too small up front, they have little or no protection. I am not a Martin fan, and I am not a Gomez fan. I have to admit that we are in a better spot than I predicted but we are falling quickly. I think Martin will get a pass no matter what happens. I think our talent (prospects)pool has taken a hit this year and will next year realitive to the rest of division. I don't mind Timmins but he is not an elite visionary as some would have it. You want more?

Nope, I agree with 3/4 of what your saying.

Nice read, like you i was surprised about Gomez.

The other thing i noticed i wouldn't have any idea how to get the info but they always seem to take a penalty right after they score a goal or change the momentum. They also have a great kill and immediately take a dumb one.

The only thing that didn't surprise me was the young players at the top of the list.

Thanks.

The only way to really get the info would be to go game-by-game to see how many were scored within x minutes of scoring. I'm not a big fan of those as at this stage in the season, it'd take quite a while to gather the info.

The team does have too many small top six players and Gomez has definitely underperformed this year. Having said that, if Gomez picks it up in the playoffs, all will be forgiven. As far as Martin and Timmins go, I will have to disagree with you. I know that Timmins hasn't really hit home runs, but this team has a way deeper prospect pool than before he came. Price and Subban were pretty good pick ups don't you think? I would say that this season has shown that Timmins AND Martin are doing rather well, all things considered. Look at the number of Bulldogs that this team has had on the roster this year. Timmins drafted them and Martin was able to coach them into staying competitive and near the top 1/3 of the league.

I think there is room for improvement, and I definitely agree that more speed is needed on the back end as well as more size up front. You never know, Eller may develope into the much needed big #1 centre. I doubt it though. I still say that if this team were healthy, they could run with the big boys.

Obviously I was bummed at the results of this game after it happened. Today I am happy aboot it.

Well, losing 7-0, especially in a much-hyped game against a hated rival, does tend to cast a pall over a team, so the fan response is totally understandable. Nevertheless, it *is* kind of ridiculous to see how many commentators are now writing with absolute certainty that the Habs obviously will never be able to beat Boston in the playoffs. :rolleyes: I guess there has been a rupture in the space-time continuum such that the previous game, in which we absolutely dominated them, never happened.

I'm happy today just for that reason. After this blowout if the Habs face the Booins in the playoffs theres a really good chance that the Booins will be so overconfident beleiving that the Habs have absolutely 0 chance in winning. The Booins probably wont even practice, or watch game video, or any of the other usual things done when going into a series.

That loss was so bad this effect could even possibly happen against teams other than Boston. Most hockey alnalysts have been saying the Habs are a sinking ship for a while now with all the injuries etc, and that loss should only help get other teams to not take the Habs seriously. This loss could potentially work out being highly benificial come playoffs.

The next game against Wash will be huge, win or loose. I could be wrong but afaik the Habs havent lost 3 in a row all year. Its actually fairly rare that they loose 2 in a row. In the last 2 seasons the Habs have yet to dip under 8th seed. Its that resiliency that has me optimistic. Even if they loose to Wash, I wont be worried. I kinda blame the Bos loss on having so many injured players return all at once, most of which wreent really ready to comeback but it was such an important game they were reinserted into the lineup a bit to fast. If Wash runs up the score for the same reason, and Rags pass the Habs then Wash could be in for another Habs upset. A Wash series would probably be best matchup for the Habs.

Obviously I was bummed at the results of this game after it happened. Today I am happy aboot it.

I'm happy today just for that reason. After this blowout if the Habs face the Booins in the playoffs theres a really good chance that the Booins will be so overconfident beleiving that the Habs have absolutely 0 chance in winning. The Booins probably wont even practice, or watch game video, or any of the other usual things done when going into a series.

That loss was so bad this effect could even possibly happen against teams other than Boston. Most hockey alnalysts have been saying the Habs are a sinking ship for a while now with all the injuries etc, and that loss should only help get other teams to not take the Habs seriously. This loss could potentially work out being highly benificial come playoffs.

The next game against Wash will be huge, win or loose. I could be wrong but afaik the Habs havent lost 3 in a row all year. Its actually fairly rare that they loose 2 in a row. In the last 2 seasons the Habs have yet to dip under 8th seed. Its that resiliency that has me optimistic. Even if they loose to Wash, I wont be worried. I kinda blame the Bos loss on having so many injured players return all at once, most of which wreent really ready to comeback but it was such an important game they were reinserted into the lineup a bit to fast. If Wash runs up the score for the same reason, and Rags pass the Habs then Wash could be in for another Habs upset. A Wash series would probably be best matchup for the Habs.

Interesting thought. So the Habs are sort of like Michael Ignatieff - banking on horrendously low expectations working in their favour ^_^

Washington has looked rather more dangerous over the final third of the season (playing defence, being disciplined, etc.), so I'm not sure I'd want to draw them. As to your wider point, though, I hate to say it, but I really get the feeling that we're slipping into our third significant slump of the season. There's just been too many hurdles to overcome, too many injuries and too much drama (Patches) and too little good news. (I know it won't happen, but they need a shot in the arm, such as Markov coming back early or something). They're basically taking a mental/physical break whether they can afford it or not. Expect the team to look stink-o for the next 4-5 games.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Serisoulsy though, how many Wash players last year do you think thought the Habs would win that series? I'd bet money that none of them thought the Habs would win. Not 1!! :P Out of 30 players, I bet there was probably only 1 Wash player who thought Wash would win in 6, 20 of them probably thought they'd win in 5, and 9 were delsuional enough to beleive they'd sweep. I bet Pitts was basically the same, with none of them beleiving there was even a remote possibility that they could loose. I bet both teams jumped for joy at the news they were playing the Habs. :lol:

The Habs basically tricked Wash and Pitts last year, and if they keep loosing now I hope that the other teams will revert back to thinking last years playoffs run was just a huge amount of luck and that the Habs are nothing to worry aboot. Thats far from the truth, the Habs definitely have a team again. If the Habs didnt have a team, then they would loose more games in a row, and they typically always bounce back. That doesnt mean that much in the reg season, but in the playoffs thats huge to be able to bounce back and not loose 2 in a row. I`m not sure how many times they`ve lost 2 in a row this year, but I beleive you could count it on 1 hand. iirc I dont think they have lost 3 in a row all year.

I agree Wash has looked a lot better since all-star game, and they are quite diffreent than last years team. However out of the top 3 teams, I still think Wash would be Habs best chance. Habs worst case scenario would be having to play Boston/Philly in rnd 1, and then Philly/Boston rnd 2. In that scenario it would be hard for the Habs to get out of rnd 1, and they'd probably be swept or out in 5 games in rnd 2.

If we play Philly at any point, we will lose. Simple as that.

Really? The Habs can't beat Philly? I find that hard to believe.

Guess I should cancel the sports cable package now and save a couple bucks.

Edited by BrenDittero

If we play Philly at any point, we will lose. Simple as that.

I wouldnt quite say that, but I definitely agree that Habs would be much better off avoiding Philly, and Bos too.

The Habs would have to play at such a high level to get by Philly that they would be completely spent moving forward. I would even go as far as to say that statement is most likely true with any team, not just the Habs. Its especially true with the Habs though.

The Habs would have to play at 125%-150% to get by Philly, and in the next round they would be playing at a max of 50-75% because getting by them would use up so much of their energy. They would be so tired, sore, and somebody would get crunched and be out too most likely.

Let the Sabers/Cannes get knocked around and injued by Philly, and let the Rags get knocked around and injued by Bos. The Rags probably have a better chance at beating Bos than most would beleive, same with Sabers vs Philly. Both Sabers and Rags would stand better chances with Bos/Philly than the Habs would.

Season series stats (thx dlbalr):

BUF vs PHI: Philly leads 2-1, 1 game in April

CAR vs PHI: Philly wins 3-1

NYR vs WSH: Rangers win 3-1 (inc. 1 shootout win)

NYR vs BOS: Series tied 1-1, still 2 games to play this year.

Let Sabers and Rags get the crap knocked out of them and get completely exhausted by the 2 largest goon teams in rnd 1, hopefully they upset and knock out Philly & Bos. Then in the 2nd rnd it will be Sabers and Rags who get cakewalked by the Habs and TB. If Habs play Philly or Bos it will be tough to get to the 2nd round, and pretty much impossible to get back to the 3rd rnd. The Habs will the ones who get spanked in rnd 2. However, like I said if Philly and Bos are taken out by other teams in the 1st rnd, Habs chances of returning to the 3rd round will be great, with actually pretty good odds in making it to the Cup.

If you want to see the Habs make back in the 3rd rnd and beyond, then prey they dont have to play Philly or Bos.

I honestly like the Habs chances against any team other than Philly and Bos.

Let Sabers and Rags get the crap knocked out of them and get completely exhausted by the 2 largest goon teams in rnd 1, hopefully they upset and knock out Philly & Bos. Then in the 2nd rnd it will be Sabers and Rags who get cakewalked by the Habs and TB. If Habs play Philly or Bos it will be tough to get to the 2nd round, and pretty much impossible to get back to the 3rd rnd. The Habs will the ones who get spanked in rnd 2. However, like I said if Philly and Bos are taken out by other teams in the 1st rnd, Habs chances of returning to the 3rd round will be great, with actually pretty good odds in making it to the Cup.

If you want to see the Habs make back in the 3rd rnd and beyond, then prey they dont have to play Philly or Bos.

I honestly like the Habs chances against any team other than Philly and Bos.

Either the Habs are a good enough team to successfully compete against any one of the other 7 teams in the playoffs or they're not.

If they're not and their only chance of advancing is another team knocking out the Flyers or Bruins , maybe they don't deserve the cup to begin with.

I think the Canadiens ARE good enough to go as far as they want to as a team. If they phone it in and continue to play below their skill level that's on them. It's also a shame because this years Canadiens are great.

The teams that are willing to fight through injuries / exhaustion and remain focused night in and night out will be the ones to hit the final two.

It also might be a bit presumptuous to think the Habs will rollover the Rangers and Sabres. That hasn't been the case recently.

It also might be a bit presumptuous to think the Habs will rollover the Rangers and Sabres. That hasn't been the case recently.

Well I think its presumptuous to beleive that after playing a 7 game war of a series against Philly or Bos that a team will still have all their top players in their lineup, and for evreybody to be playing at 100%. :lol:

Philly and Bos just wont let that happen. Philly and Bos are the biggest goons going. Any team who plays them and manages to knock them out with have multiple injuries going forward. Thats pretty much guarenteed. Thats what Philly and Bos does to other teams.

Sure it possible for a team to win a 7 game series against Philly or Bos, but after that no team will go onto win the 4 rnd war after having Philly and Bos runs roughshad all over them. Any team, not just the Habs that plays Philly or Bos and manages to get by them I would bet money on them being done in the next round in 5 games or less. A Philly or Bos series would be that exhausting to any team.

So its better for it to be them (Buff, Rags), than the Habs.

Well I think its presumptuous to beleive that after playing a 7 game war of a series against Philly or Bos that a team will still have all their top players in their lineup, and for evreybody to be playing at 100%. :lol:

Philly and Bos just wont let that happen. Philly and Bos are the biggest goons going. Any team who plays them and manages to knock them out with have multiple injuries going forward. Thats pretty much guarenteed. Thats what Philly and Bos does to other teams.

Sure it possible for a team to win a 7 game series against Philly or Bos, but after that no team will go onto win the 4 rnd war after having Philly and Bos runs roughshad all over them. Any team, not just the Habs that plays Philly or Bos and manages to get by them I would bet money on them being done in the next round in 5 games or less. A Philly or Bos series would be that exhausting to any team.

So its better for it to be them (Buff, Rags), than the Habs.

Your points are all good ones, I'm looking forward to seeing where the Habs find themselves in the standings over the next 7 games.

Beyond that, it'll be an interesting round 1 to watch no matter which team we play against.

All these Boston games have made me totally forget about our rivalry with the flyers. So gonna watch the Bruins and Flyers play tomorrow and i will cheer SOO hard for the flyers and for Pronger to dish out some of bostons own medicine.

All these Boston games have made me totally forget about our rivalry with the flyers. So gonna watch the Bruins and Flyers play tomorrow and i will cheer SOO hard for the flyers and for Pronger to dish out some of bostons own medicine.

Don't want to disappoint you too much but Pronger's out right now.

It's false to say that 'either the Habs are contenders or they aren't.' A Habs team playing near 100% is an outside but genuine contender IF they don't have to play Philadelphia. To me it's so obvious that, barring unforseen circumstances (such as a rash of injuries to the Flyers' blueline) Philly has our number, that denying it amounts to delusion. I mean, they completely manhandled us in the playoffs last year; they've killed us all season; they are too big, too strong, too good, and play a style that we generally have trouble with (up-and-down, crash-and-bang). While it's technically true that any outcome is possible in hockey, rational analysis will accept that Philly is the one team against which we have very little chance even if we bring our 'A' game.

It's false to say that 'either the Habs are contenders or they aren't.' A Habs team playing near 100% is an outside but genuine contender IF they don't have to play Philadelphia. To me it's so obvious that, barring unforseen circumstances (such as a rash of injuries to the Flyers' blueline) Philly has our number, that denying it amounts to delusion. I mean, they completely manhandled us in the playoffs last year; they've killed us all season; they are too big, too strong, too good, and play a style that we generally have trouble with (up-and-down, crash-and-bang). While it's technically true that any outcome is possible in hockey, rational analysis will accept that Philly is the one team against which we have very little chance even if we bring our 'A' game.

What I said was " Either the Habs are a good enough team to successfully compete against any one of the other 7 teams in the playoffs or they're not."

That comment, in and of itself is, not a statement claiming that they will win or lose. That remains to be seen.

Philly is a great team as are the Bruins, but let's give Montreal the benefit of actually playing these clubs in the playoffs before we write them off as not having a chance.

Since anything can happen in hockey the only thing that is delusional is saying "we can't beat them period."

Edited by BrenDittero