GDT: Capitals vs Canadiens, Mar. 26

dlbalr

I am not saying Pleks is having a bad season, but he has tailed off considerably and his point total doesn't scream "top line center". (either does gomez!!!!).

My point is when a player has a bad game, say so. But Gomez was probably our best player in the last game, but he gets all the abuse after a loss. Pleks, Cammy, AK, and Gionta were four of the worse players on the ice yesterday. I really don't care what the did before Christmas, they need to be getting better from March on, not worse.

I personally don't agree in the slightest on our view about Gomez gaining the zone. He doesn't turn it over all the time and he is the only one who reliably gets the zone. He also is one of the best managing the puck on the boards. I really don't understand how you can think Gomez is a give away machine. He does turn it over more then some, but only because he carries it so much. His success /fail ratio is very good. There are many things to complain about in Gomez's game, but carrying the puck and gaining the zone simply isn't one of them.

There's a difference between Pleks having a handful of truly bad games this year, whereas, there's been only a handful of good games by Gomez. Why is that that Gomez's wingers are able to produce with other centers??? Gomez's carry-ins are part of the problem - its the same move. More often then not, instead of creating room for his wingers, he tends to skate over to them.

You'll get no argument from me about Cammy. I honestly don't get why everyone here wanted to trade AK46 for a bag of pucks when he is producing more then Cammy at half the salary. As for Gionta, with the exception of his 40 goal year, he always has a lousy shooting percentage. But at least he does put up his 20+ goals you want from him. 30 would be a bonus. but 25 is what I'd expect from Gionta. That's why i hated signing him for $5M, which is $1M more then he is worth. That's been the habs achilles heel. Almost every guy they sign, they overpay by at least a $1M.

How the hell is that a penalty to Eller???????

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not saying Pleks is having a bad season, but he has tailed off considerably and his point total doesn't scream "top line center". (either does gomez!!!!).

My point is when a player has a bad game, say so. But Gomez was probably our best player in the last game, but he gets all the abuse after a loss. Pleks, Cammy, AK, and Gionta were four of the worse players on the ice yesterday. I really don't care what the did before Christmas, they need to be getting better from March on, not worse.

I personally don't agree in the slightest on our view about Gomez gaining the zone. He doesn't turn it over all the time and he is the only one who reliably gets the zone. He also is one of the best managing the puck on the boards. I really don't understand how you can think Gomez is a give away machine. He does turn it over more then some, but only because he carries it so much. His success /fail ratio is very good. There are many things to complain about in Gomez's game, but carrying the puck and gaining the zone simply isn't one of them.

Sorry but that isn't saying a whole lot given the last two games the habs played. Gomez was fiesty last game and LOOKED like he was trying, but a the end of the day, the result was the same - zero production.

Why is it that his wingers have been able to produce when playing with other centers. The only winger who consistently produced with Gomez this year was MaxPac, but he also was producing during this time with Pleks and others.

I DON"T want this guy back next year - don't even care of he lights it up in the playoffs. He is really nothing more then a 3rd line centre now and regardless of who signed him for the contract, $7.2M is ridiculous for what he brings. Hell $3.5M would be ridiculous given his production. On the other hand McDonough is playing 20+min a game and looks to be be a solid physical dman. That was a great trade - our best defensive prospect other then PK for an overpaid has been :wacko: To think we let Koivu go and brought this guy in AND gave up McDonough for him. Oh and Koivu is baking around a third of what Gomez is getting paid :angry:

Edited by hab29RETIRED

I know you don't want him back, but don't call him out every single game. He had zero production, just live every other hab. He was minus 1 with 7 against. Pleks was minus 4.

If you can find a way to replace him with a better center, let PG know. For the record, only Pleks is a better center then Gomez on our team right now, so we need to bring in someone else. Des won't be a top 2 center if he is playing a full season against top 6 players. We need to replace Gomez with someone about 6.2, who can play as well or better then Pleks.

Sorry but that isn't saying a whole lot given the last two games the habs played. Gomez was fiesty last game and LOOKED like he was trying, but a the end of the day, the result was the same - zero production.

Why is it that his wingers have been able to produce when playing with other centers. The only winger who consistently produced with Gomez this year was MaxPac, but he also was producing during this time with Pleks and others.

I DON"T want this guy back next year - don't even care of he lights it up in the playoffs. He is really nothing more then a 3rd line centre now and regardless of who signed him for the contract, $7.2M is ridiculous for what he brings. Hell $3.5M would be ridiculous given his production. On the other hand McDonough is playing 20+min a game and looks to be be a solid physical dman. That was a great trade - our best defensive prospect other then PK for an overpaid has been :wacko: To think we let Koivu go and brought this guy in :angry:

The bigger forwards for the Caps were having an easy time winning the battles up against the Boards. Our boys couldn't even get to the washington net.

Another lousy period...thank the hockey gods that carey is in nets. At least its only 1-0!!

146 minutes without a goal!

Another Saturday, another Cherry bash of PK..

I just don't get the logic. PK has been nothing but classy in every interview, yet all these vets are running their mouths bashing him in the media, yet Cherry is calling out PK? These vets need to grow a pair and stop the whining. Cherry need to just shut up. He started this whole PK thing after about two games, because PK didn't "back off the vets" on the ice.

Meanwhile, he has had nothing but Praise for a guy like Marchand, who ran him mouth in the press about habs and got suspended..I guess head shots is how you show respect.

Edited by brobin

I know you don't want him back, but don't call him out every single game. He had zero production, just live every other hab. He was minus 1 with 7 against. Pleks was minus 4.

If you can find a way to replace him with a better center, let PG know. For the record, only Pleks is a better center then Gomez on our team right now, so we need to bring in someone else. Des won't be a top 2 center if he is playing a full season against top 6 players. We need to replace Gomez with someone about 6.2, who can play as well or better then Pleks.

When did i call him out last game or against buffalo - those were complete team collapses???

Are you kidding me???? Gomez is NOT that hard to replace. Send him to the minors, clear up room and there are LOTS of guys you can trade for at the end of the year that would be an upgrade over Gomez. I think your love for Gomez is blinding you to reality. From a production standpoint he is #58 in the league - that's not among all forwards, that is among CENTRES!!!!! from a +/- perspective he is rated #237 - again that is not among all forwards, that is just among centers!!!

I don't love Gomez at all, I am just facing the reality that he is here. We need him to play better, but I don't think you are being realistic. As far as I know, we don't get cap relief by sending him to the minors. How does that help? If we want to get a better center, then go get one, but you won't have much money for it unless you can get Gomez traded out.

When did i call him out last game or against buffalo - those were complete team collapses???

Are you kidding me???? Gomez is NOT that hard to replace. Send him to the minors, clear up room and there are LOTS of guys you can trade for at the end of the year that would be an upgrade over Gomez. I think your love for Gomez is blinding you to reality. From a production standpoint he is #58 in the league - that's not among all forwards, that is among CENTRES!!!!! from a +/- perspective he is rated #237 - again that is not among all forwards, that is just among centers!!!

I don't love Gomez at all, I am just facing the reality that he is here. We need him to play better, but I don't think you are being realistic. As far as I know, we don't get cap relief by sending him to the minors. How does that help? If we want to get a better center, then go get one, but you won't have much money for it unless you can get Gomez traded out.

Why wouldn't we get cap relief - that's exactly what the rangers did with Redden, its what the Oilers are doing with Souray and that is now our only hope of getting rid of Gomez. You may have been able to trade him early in the year and maybe when his salary drops to $4M, but unless Milbury gets a job back in the NHL, he is untradeable.

Dumping players to the minors takes their cap hit of the books.

Edited by hab29RETIRED

Sending him to the minors NOW would be categorically insane, obviously.

This summer, especially if we have an early exit, all bets are off. I believe that, other than re-assembling the defence corps, Gauthier's Job #1 will be to ship Gomer Pyle out of here by hook or by crook. And I hope he doesn't let the Bell Centre doors hit his ass on the way out.

As for tonight's sad performance, I said it after the Boston game: we are entering a slump and will suck ass for the next little while. Hunker down and ride it out.

Why wouldn't we get cap relief - that's exactly what the rangers did with Redden, its what the Oilers are doing with Souray and that is now our only hope of getting rid of Gomez. You may have been able to trade him early in the year and maybe when his salary drops to $4M, but unless Milbury gets a job back in the NHL, he is untradeable.

Dumping players to the minors takes their cap hit of the books.

We would, or would not get cap relief?

We would, or would not get cap relief?

We would get cap relief. THe entire $7.2M unless we were to put him through re-entry waivers after sending him down, in which case if someone claimed him, we would be on the hook for half the salary.

Rangers have buried Redden's $7M cap hit and Oilers Souray's $5.7M cap hit by sending them to the minors.

Well then feel free to send him down in the summer. No point doing it now.

We would get cap relief. THe entire $7.2M unless we were to put him through re-entry waivers after sending him down, in which case if someone claimed him, we would be on the hook for half the salary.

Rangers have buried Redden's $7M cap hit and Oilers Souray's $5.7M cap hit by sending them to the minors.