GDT: Canadiens @ Canes, Mar. 30, 2011

bar

Eller didn't do any worse than Desharnais, why did he get to bench ?

Way too soft there on defense and offense from everybody.

One thing i heard on my trip on planet Montreal, i heard a Georges Laraque

quote saying that there was no system on that team :blink: that JM

never talks to players and some players doesn't "believe" in the putting the puck behind the d and winning battles.

First what the @£¢ :angry2: Georges Laraque is doing around this team, the

organisation paid him his million to keep him away, the money shortage hurt

the team for a depth player and this moron has the nerve to stay around the team and make comments like that in a bad streak with the clear intention of getting revenge on JM.

Habs should sue him and leave a perimeter between him and the team.

Second who is the player talking to Laraque not winning any fights, having bad penalties,

not scoring goals and most of all not competing on the ice and backstabbing the coach ?

I have doubts on Pouliot and number 13. But it's hard to say no players really

win 1-1, neither scores or comptete on a daily basis.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I expect them to make it, but I won't be surprised to see them get past and end up 7th or 8th. I also expect them to go out in the first round. They are simply too banged up to do much damage. The hockey they have played the last 10 games is awful. They eek out a win here or there, but they don't look dominate even in most wins.

Eller didn't do any worse than Desharnais, why did he get to bench ?

One thing i heard on my trip on planet Montreal, i heard a Georges Laraque

quote saying that there was no system on that team :blink: that JM

never talks to players and some players doesn't "believe" in the putting the puck behind the d and winning battles.

I think all that amounts to is a ridiculous story for sports writers who have nothing better or insightful to wax on about.

I would be very surprised if the Habs were worrying about anything beyond these last 4 games.

Edited by BrenDittero

This team is not mentally in this game. What the hell was Hammer doing passing across the crease to no one?

They are down by 3 and it looks more like Carolina is pushing for more then the Habs pushing to get back in.

I don't doubt that they will make it into the playoffs but it's going to be a rough ride.

They are going to make us all sweat when 2 wins over the last 5 games would have allowed them to coast in.

They have had to fight to the last 2 games to make the playoffs for close to 15 years.

1995 - -4 points

1996 - 2 points

1997 - 2 points

1998 - 13 points

2000 - -2 points

2002 - 2 points

2004 - 15 points

2006 - 3 points

2007 - - 2 points

2008 - 12 points

2009 - 0 points (tiebreaker)

2010 - 1 point

Seven times since 1995 the Habs have made it or missed by 2 points or less. Only 3 times have they qualified without any sweating, that is why everybody expects the worst case scenario. You always remember the negative before the positive.

Edited by Wamsley01

Not winning a single battle... we won in Atlanta because they got two quick goals.. then they floated through the rest of the game.

So in the last 5 games with some pressure on and a chance to move up the standings, they scored 3 goals and won a single game. Brutal.

They are going to make us all sweat when 2 wins over the last 5 games would have allowed them to coast in.

They have had to fight to the last 2 games to make the playoffs for close to 15 years.

1995 - -4 points

1996 - 2 points

1997 - 2 points

1998 - 13 points

2000 - -2 points

2002 - 2 points

2004 - 15 points

2006 - 3 points

2007 - - 2 points

2008 - 12 points

2009 - 0 points (tiebreaker)

2010 - 1 point

Seven times since 1995 the Habs have made it or missed by 2 points or less.

Guess it's the Montreal way...why change now?

The team changes but the results stay the same.

Nice goal from Subban.

Edited by BrenDittero

I am pretty much expecting the Rangers to bag a late one to make it a 3 point game.

Finally, they get PK a decent shot from the point... I like him on that side...

I am watching the Sabres game, they can have me back if they tie it. Outside of that, I don't need the irritation.

Brutal no call in the Sabres game on a trip on Gerbe. Not as bad as Gill, but a game altering no-call with 3 minutes to go.

Sabres held on for dear life for the win.

Edited by Wamsley01

and now they embarrass themselves again... no effort, lazy penalties.. get blown out.

i have also noticed that teams are enjoying running up the score on the habs lately.. you don't see them easing up or sitting back to protect their lead.. but Montreal just mails it in if they are down.

6-2... top PP unit out in the last minute... lol

Well, came down early to try and write the 3 Stars before 10 tonight, then saw that Louis had signed up for this one (you picked quite the game to cover, Louis). So now I'm listening on the radio, not much better. Didn't see what caused the misconducts (I'll be sure to catch it on tape) but I'm not particularly thrilled to see Subban go and take another one. His dumb penalty killed the momentum (to his credit, he created it) and then he goes and effectively gets tossed after? Never a good thing.

And I'm kicking myself, I have McBain in the pool and sat him tonight...d'oh.

and now they embarrass themselves again... no effort, lazy penalties.. get blown out.

i have also noticed that teams are enjoying running up the score on the habs lately.. you don't see them easing up or sitting back to protect their lead.. but Montreal just mails it in if they are down.

Poor effort with the chance to bury the Canes season.

Keeping track of the Plekanec/Halpern faceoff tracker, 19-1 for Plekanec tonight...Halpern won the lone draw he took too. Halpern also was the only Hab to have an even rating while leading all forwards in blocked shots on either team.

Wow, the three stars are done for tonight and Around the Boards just needs some fine tuning for tomorrow. Turns out I can be rather productive when I skip my weekly Wednesday pub night. Of course, I digress as usual.

In any case, I'd rather write-up a win, but here is my HW 3 Stars for tonight's game: http://habsworld.net...cle.php?id=2440

Edited by l.moustakas

You really have to wonder whether the Habs - posibly including Price - are basically done in, exhausted. A small team with an aging defence corps, simultaneously ravaged with injuries, that's a dangerous mix; factor in the psychodrama surrounding Pacioretty and you may have the final X-factor that brings you a team that's fundamentally out of gas. (More an more I think that's the key to the Patches hit: not that it somehow 'destroyed our spirit' but that the hoopla surrounding it was one more drain that the team's collective energy didn't need). This team has been blown out in three of its last seven and shut out in three over that span. The former in particular is worrisome because it's radically out of character. I think we have a burnt-out bunch here. They may make the playoffs, but they're going to need some key guys to find their second wind in order to do any damage at all.

(In this vein, it's good that Gomez, Cammy and Pleks are showing signs of life. The question is: what about the D? Do they have anything left?)

Bruins are waiting for the Habs.....Chara is licking his chops!

We all know Chara will find a way to blow a 3-0 lead (be it games or goals) somehow.tongue.gif

Nah, seriously, I'd be happy to be a Bruins fan (this season) cuz I think they have a great roster. And some promising prospects thanks to Brian Burke.

That wasn't quite the effort i was hoping for.

I guess they are excpecting to back there way into the playoffs.

I guess they could redeem themselves Saturday, or maybe Washington and the islanders can win.

You really have to wonder whether the Habs - posibly including Price - are basically done in, exhausted. A small team with an aging defence corps, simultaneously ravaged with injuries, that's a dangerous mix; factor in the psychodrama surrounding Pacioretty and you may have the final X-factor that brings you a team that's fundamentally out of gas. (More an more I think that's the key to the Patches hit: not that it somehow 'destroyed our spirit' but that the hoopla surrounding it was one more drain that the team's collective energy didn't need). This team has been blown out in three of its last seven and shut out in three over that span. The former in particular is worrisome because it's radically out of character. I think we have a burnt-out bunch here. They may make the playoffs, but they're going to need some key guys to find their second wind in order to do any damage at all.

(In this vein, it's good that Gomez, Cammy and Pleks are showing signs of life. The question is: what about the D? Do they have anything left?)

It always becomes a problem when you start to try to read body language or interpret psychological trauma and exhaustion.

I don't think they are exhausted, I think they are slumping at the wrong time of year. You could have made these type of assessments last season when the Habs slumped down the stretch winning 3 of their last 11 and going down 3-1 to the Capitals. 4 wins in 15 games and blasted 5-1 and 6-3 by the Capitals, limping into the playoffs would have left the perfect tonic for the media/fans to interpret body language and psychology.

And what happened? The Habs won 7 of 10 to get to the Semi-Finals.

Everybody is looking at the worst case scenario based on fear. If they beat New Jersey on Saturday they only need 1 point in their final 3 games because it is unlikely that Carolina runs the table. 3 points will get it done and then who knows. They could collapse like 2009 or they could get hot like 2010.

I will panic when they go winless for the week and enter the 3rd period of the Leaf game trailing, while Carolina goes on a rampage. Outside of that I will leave the psychology and interpretation to those who have access to the players.

It always becomes a problem when you start to try to read body language or interpret psychological trauma and exhaustion.

I don't think they are exhausted, I think they are slumping at the wrong time of year. You could have made these type of assessments last season when the Habs slumped down the stretch winning 3 of their last 11 and going down 3-1 to the Capitals. 4 wins in 15 games and blasted 5-1 and 6-3 by the Capitals, limping into the playoffs would have left the perfect tonic for the media/fans to interpret body language and psychology.

And what happened? The Habs won 7 of 10 to get to the Semi-Finals.

Everybody is looking at the worst case scenario based on fear. If they beat New Jersey on Saturday they only need 1 point in their final 3 games because it is unlikely that Carolina runs the table. 3 points will get it done and then who knows. They could collapse like 2009 or they could get hot like 2010.

I will panic when they go winless for the week and enter the 3rd period of the Leaf game trailing, while Carolina goes on a rampage. Outside of that I will leave the psychology and interpretation to those who have access to the players.

Well, while you're right that noone can really know what's up except the players and coaches, I think fans are within their rights to make reasonable speculations based on what we're seeing. I'd say there's a few possibilities for what's going on.

1. The team is simply slumping, like all teams do. The timing of the slump - at the tail end of an injury-ravaged season in which Hammer and Price have arguably been way overworked - is just sheer coincidence.

2. The team is exhausted.

3. The team is tired AND knows that the odds are very much in favour of them making the playoffs. So intentionally or otherwise, they're not bringing their lunch-buckets. (IMHO this is most likely what happened last season).

4. The team is not tired. They're just intentionally or unintentionally surfing because they know they're likely to make the playoffs.

5. Losing MaxPac and three of the top-6, without having any young players step up to fill the breach, leaves the team fundamentally exposed. Unless Pouliot or someone else really steps up to plug the whole left by Patches, and unless Weber or someone else really steps up on the blueline, we just don't have the horses to compete.

3 & 4 are the most attractive answers because they suggest that guys are husbanding their energies for a playoff push. Every other scenario is unsettling.

One thing I'll say: while all teams go through injuries, this is the third season running where the Habs have massive, season-ending injuries to important players. I'm really sick and tired of it. And it wouldn't surprise me at all if, next year say, the Habs remain healthy and suddenly 'surprise' everyone with a stellar season. Three years in a row is sick.

EDIT: is it just me, or is Hamrlik calling out his teammates here?

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/didn+compete+Hamrlik+says/4532328/story.html

'I'm not happy just to make the playoffs. I want to go deep and win the Cup.' I dunno, he seems to be implying that not all his colleagues feel the same way. Just curious.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber