Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

Now that the offseason thread is officially closed (YEAH), post here about other teams activities.

Isn't it a great thread ? Meaning the season started... Fall is a boring season IMO, but taking into account that hockey starts in fall might bring it up, maybe a little above spring... but again, the playoffs are during spring... whatever, I'm just happy.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Penguins, much to the understandable dismay of their fans, lost the opener at Consol Energy Place to the hated Philthy Cryers. Some unknown rookie goalie played for Philly. Former Penguin Billy Guerin, however, did not.

Eberle,.. wow.hahaha. Benoit Brunet comments on Eberle first amazing goal.

Edmonton will be interesting to watch this year.

Raitis Ivanans had his light close, it reminded me when Chara took him out when he was a habs,

i don't think he has any memory of it.

Eberle,.. wow.hahaha. Benoit Brunet comments on Eberle first amazing goal.

Edmonton will be interesting to watch this year.

Raitis Ivanans had his light close, it reminded me when Chara took him out when he was a habs,

i don't think he has any memory of it.

The Chara tilt was one thing, but last night's Ivanas fight was really quite sad to witness. You hardly ever see an 'enforcer' get crushed like that. Not only has he been publicly humiliated, he is also seriously hurt - concussions are no joke. His humiliation, instead of making the desired statement, merely sealed the demolition of his team in a season-opening rival matchup. And it exposed him in front of tens of thousands of people as basically useless at what is supposed to be his job, likely sealing any hope he has of an NHL career (and reinforcing the possibility that fights between goons, while relatively harmless most of the time, can bring dire human consequences, including death, if one of the participants is not up to scratch). Just an agonizing thing on a human level. Awful.

The Chara tilt was one thing, but last night's Ivanas fight was really quite sad to witness. You hardly ever see an 'enforcer' get crushed like that. Not only has he been publicly humiliated, he is also seriously hurt - concussions are no joke. His humiliation, instead of making the desired statement, merely sealed the demolition of his team in a season-opening rival matchup. And it exposed him in front of tens of thousands of people as basically useless at what is supposed to be his job, likely sealing any hope he has of an NHL career (and reinforcing the possibility that fights between goons, while relatively harmless most of the time, can bring dire human consequences, including death, if one of the participants is not up to scratch). Just an agonizing thing on a human level. Awful.

That was a hell of a fight, and sadly for Ivanans, maybe a career-ending event. Good luck to him getting back.

These European games are killing me in my hockey pools, I kept forgetting to start Backstrom and some of my other players. Decent games today though, sucks that Carolina's 2-0 though.

By the way, if you haven't noticed yet, you'll be able to keep an eye on all the scores around the league with the sports ticker we've added to the bottom of the forum. You also should be able to customize the ticker to show the scores from only the leagues you want.

Also on the theme of scary hockey notes today, Thrashers' G Ondrej Pavelec collapsed 2 minutes into the Thrashers' season opener and has been taken to hospital. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336749

Also on the theme of scary hockey notes today, Thrashers' G Ondrej Pavelec collapsed 2 minutes into the Thrashers' season opener and has been taken to hospital. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=336749

Wow, that's crazy. Hopefully he's alright, and it's something manageable, akin to the Leafs' Gustafsson. I'm just assuming it's a heart problem/

You got

Heatley - Marleau - Thornton

Setoguchi - Pavelski - Clowe

But we tend to forget about Logan Couture... what a 3rd line pleyr that is...

These European games are killing me in my hockey pools, I kept forgetting to start Backstrom and some of my other players. Decent games today though, sucks that Carolina's 2-0 though.

By the way, if you haven't noticed yet, you'll be able to keep an eye on all the scores around the league with the sports ticker we've added to the bottom of the forum. You also should be able to customize the ticker to show the scores from only the leagues you want.

Pavelec in Stable Condition

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=337089

Ribs arrested for public intoxication.........

Do we know what he did while intoxicated ??? Cuz I've been in a situation of public intoxication probably near a thousand times so far and never get arrested for that...

uz I've been in a situation of public intoxication probably near a thousand times so far and never get arrested for that...

Ditto, tough I suppose laws regarding that are much stricter in the US than in Québec.

In other news its funny how 2 badly 2 teams that recently met in the finals are doing... Ottawa is 0-3 with Alfie's injured while Anaheim is in shambles. Poor Saku...

Also, damn, another concussion.. this time it's Pominville who's victim of that.

Edited by Jean

Ditto, tough I suppose laws regarding that are much stricter in the US than in Québec.

In other news its funny how 2 badly 2 teams that recently met in the finals are doing... Ottawa is 0-3 with Alfie's injured while Anaheim is in shambles. Poor Saku...

Also, damn, another concussion.. this time it's Pominville who's victim of that.

Anaheim's D is just so porous, so awful to watch. I pity Saku (the only Duck to score goals so far) but even more so for Hiller. I'd look for Fowler to be sent down soon and a UFA D to be signed within the next week. My money is on Jay McKee.

2 games for Hjalmarsson for the hit that put him out...that seems low to me.

Anaheim's D is just so porous, so awful to watch. I pity Saku (the only Duck to score goals so far) but even more so for Hiller. I'd look for Fowler to be sent down soon and a UFA D to be signed within the next week. My money is on Jay McKee.

They signed Lilja the other day actually. However, Sutton's out 6-8 weeks apparently though so they're in some trouble.

They signed Lilja the other day actually. However, Sutton's out 6-8 weeks apparently though so they're in some trouble.

Ah, I missed that signing... but like you said, with Sutton out now, something's gotta happen.

What a difference a few year can make. Going from a defense made up of Niedermayer, Pronger, Beauchemin, etc... to the currently healthy top 3 of Vishnovsky, Fowler and Mara? Crazy.

I'd be pissed if I was a Ducks' fan.

Do we know what he did while intoxicated ??? Cuz I've been in a situation of public intoxication probably near a thousand times so far and never get arrested for that...

I like the comment of a friend of mine: In Montreal that would've been called ' light socializing' ^_^

We don't have a specific AHL thread and it isn't exactly Bulldogs related so I'll make it fit here as a stretch. I have never heard of a farm team changing their team name midseason but alas, that's what the Hartford Wolf Pack (affiliate of the New York Rangers - there, it now fits in the NHL thread :) )will be doing next month as they will become the Connecticut Whale. I've heard rumblings this was coming for a while but to change barely 6 weeks into the season? Interesting...

http://www.courant.com/sports/hockey/hc-wo...13,0,2164.story

As for Leclaire getting hurt, the tradition continues. Brian Elliott will get the nod Saturday vs the Habs I suppose.

Fabian Brunnstrom, the player the Habs were really going after a few years ago, was waived by Dallas today (can't blame the ELC either as it expired last season). How far has he fallen? Ditto Boris Valabik, the mammoth d-man out of Atlanta, a former 1st rounder - he too hit the wire today.

Another former 1st rounder was waived by Florida today, Kenndal McArdle - this has gotta be iffy asset management, waiving a pair of former 1st's in less than a month? Anaheim waived D Brendan Mikkelson which suggests Cam Fowler may be sticking around for the duration.

6 games for Rypien, that to me is a lot more realistic than the 12-15 games I kept seeing people clamour for.

12-15 was WAAAY over the top. He didn't even hit the guy and just grabed his jersey. 6 to 10 was way more realistic.

They were discussing the other day (with McTavish) how this specific area was "dangerous" for things like that to happen and I have to agree that they should put some kind of wall there.