Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

306363-depuis-plusieurs-semaines-darcy-olsen.jpg

Is this woman, Darcy Olsen from Goldwater Institute, the one who's gonna make the hockey return to Winnipeg ? She's fighting hard to prevent Glendale from granting subsidies to Matthew Hulsizer.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/special/nhl/Goldwater-digs-in-heels-in-blame-battle-with-Bettman-117653458.html

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be an in-person hearing for Matt Cooke's elbow to McDonagh yesterday. Predictions for the length? I don't think he'll get the 10 like some are calling for, I'm guessing 6.

Will be interesting to see what Mario Lemieux has to say about this...

There will be an in-person hearing for Matt Cooke's elbow to McDonagh yesterday. Predictions for the length? I don't think he'll get the 10 like some are calling for, I'm guessing 6.

I'm guessing 8 games.

1. The league is in a precarious spot right now with head shots and might need to make an example of Cooke.

2. Repeat offender

I'll be very surprised if Lemieux does anything more than accept it and move on.

John Madden, 37, will miss the playoffs for the first time in his career. Sick.

It's unbeliveable that he has never missed them before. Speaks both to him as a player and the organization's he has been with.

Also, Craig Anderson signs a 4 year extension with the Sens, boy does that trade look great for them now...

Brian, I have to agree with you on the length, although I am hoping for something much harsher then that.

I mean, if Gillies is a repeat offender, then what is Cooke? A career criminal? The fact he has only three suspensions totalling (I believe) ten games is ridiculous. In any case

Is this woman, Darcy Olsen from Goldwater Institute, the one who's gonna make the hockey return to Winnipeg ? She's fighting hard to prevent Glendale from granting subsidies to Matthew Hulsizer.

http://www.winnipegf...-117653458.html

Hulsizer is willing to guarantee (I think) 75% of the bond value to Glendale so Goldwater will lose a lot of its argument right away. I suspect they'll find a way to get this worked out.

Brad Marchand weighs in on Matt Cooke's suspension.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6243524

"I think it's about time he gets [suspended]," Marchand said. "He needs to be taught a lesson. He's doing that stuff left, right and center. I expect he'll get a bunch of games. He's got to be taught a lesson. He can't be running around doing that stuff all the time. He's going to seriously hurt someone again -- look at Savvy. He could have easily hurt McDonagh."

"That seems to be a part of his game and he likes to throw around cheap shots. I don't know if he'll learn," Marchand said. "Hopefully he does so he doesn't hurt someone to a point where their career is over. You want to get rid of that stuff out of the game and hopefully he's learned his lesson."

Marchand, who plays with grit and attempts to agitate the opposition, admitted he's not about to change his game because of his recent suspension.

Edited by BrenDittero

Brian, I have to agree with you on the length, although I am hoping for something much harsher then that.

I mean, if Gillies is a repeat offender, then what is Cooke? A career criminal? The fact he has only three suspensions totalling (I believe) ten games is ridiculous. In any case

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2011/03/21/video-a-timeline-of-dirty-and-reckless-matt-cooke-hits/

Awesome page.

Brad Marchand on Matt Cooke's latest hit: ""He needs to be taught a lesson. He's doing that stuff left, right and center. " (http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6243524).

Well, that's about as credible as having Cheech and Chong tell teenagers to 'Just say no', isn't it?

On an unrelated note, I wonder if she's had her teeth whitened.......

Edited by l.moustakas

Brad Marchand weighs in on Matt Cooke's suspension.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6243524

"I think it's about time he gets [suspended]," Marchand said. "He needs to be taught a lesson. He's doing that stuff left, right and center. I expect he'll get a bunch of games. He's got to be taught a lesson. He can't be running around doing that stuff all the time. He's going to seriously hurt someone again -- look at Savvy. He could have easily hurt McDonagh."

"That seems to be a part of his game and he likes to throw around cheap shots. I don't know if he'll learn," Marchand said. "Hopefully he does so he doesn't hurt someone to a point where their career is over. You want to get rid of that stuff out of the game and hopefully he's learned his lesson."

Marchand, who plays with grit and attempts to agitate the opposition, admitted he's not about to change his game because of his recent suspension.

Just a personal rant...

No offense to you, Brendittero, but why does anyone care what Marchand thinks? I mean, obviously he's good for a few quotes, but honestly, he's just a rookie that hasn't done anything notable save get suspended. Where's the respect that rookies are supposedly expected to display?

I find these double standards annoying as hell.

Just a personal rant...

No offense to you, Brendittero, but why does anyone care what Marchand thinks? I mean, obviously he's good for a few quotes, but honestly, he's just a rookie that hasn't done anything notable save get suspended. Where's the respect that rookies are supposedly expected to display?

I find these double standards annoying as hell.

No offense taken. I posted the link, not because I care about what Marchand thinks, but rather the irony. Kind of a pot calling the kettle black situation.

Thought it was interesting.

I think it's also a good look into how hypocritical the mind set of the Bruins is. Their game is dirty but they'll keep on playing it.

Suspensions won't even deter it.

Edited by BrenDittero

No offense taken. I posted the link, not because I care about what Marchand thinks, but rather the irony. Kind of a pot calling the kettle black situation.

Thought it was interesting.

I think it's also a good look into how hypocritical the mind set of the Bruins is. Their game is dirty but they'll keep on playing it.

Suspensions won't even deter it.

Hey Brenn. Sorry, did not realize you had posted the link to the Marchand Story already.

As for the Bruins opinion on respect and league discipline, all I hear is white noise. Lost of noise. Perhaps they should concern themselves more with not getting whopped by Montreal on a regular basis or not choking 0-3 series leads. But, of course, I digress as usual.

Matt Cooke got suspended for the rest of the season + round 1.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=359027

The suspension is way more than I thought they'd hand out. Good on the league for doing something about these goons.

It amounts to a minimum of 14 games or max of 17.

Edited by BrenDittero

The suspension is way more than I thought they'd hand out. Good on the league for doing something about these goons.

Very pleased with this.

I'm also pleased with Pittsburgh's response too it.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=556786

1clap.gif1clap.gif1clap.gif1clap.gif1clap.gif1clap.gif1clap.gif1clap.gif1clap.gif1clap.gif1clap.gif

I want to play the pens in the first round.

All by yourself? I know they have a lot of injuries and now this suspension, but could one person defeat an entire hockey team?

Habs / Pens or Habs / Bruins, both would be great series.

I still like the idea of knocking out the Bruins though.

Apologizing in advance,

B. Dittero

Edited by BrenDittero

I guess distinct kicking motions are OK on your own net. LOL

That is one of the funniest and shockingly unfortunate things I've ever seen. I'm sure it's times like these where players wish youtube was never invented.

Good luck living that one down.

Edited by BrenDittero

I guess distinct kicking motions are OK on your own net. LOL

OMG, that was quite funny. I would love to know what he was thinking when he did that. I've seen lots of goals kicked in before, but I dont recall ever seeing anybody in front of the net be silly enough to try to kick a puck out of mid air like that. :blink:

OMG, that was quite funny. I would love to know what he was thinking when he did that. I've seen lots of goals kicked in before, but I dont recall ever seeing anybody in front of the net be silly enough to try to kick a puck out of mid air like that. :blink:

He wasn't.

So Cooke gets 14-17 games because he is a repeat offender. Bertuzzi gets none for his elbow last night. Am I missing something here? Didn't he, you know, end a guy's career with a punch to the back of the head?

So Cooke gets 14-17 games because he is a repeat offender. Bertuzzi gets none for his elbow last night. Am I missing something here? Didn't he, you know, end a guy's career with a punch to the back of the head?

The repeat offender 'definition' is actually only 2 years from the last infraction (for purposes of salary forfeiture), Bertuzzi doesn't fall under that. Of course they say they look beyond that but, well, you know.

The repeat offender 'definition' is actually only 2 years from the last infraction (for purposes of salary forfeiture), Bertuzzi doesn't fall under that. Of course they say they look beyond that but, well, you know.

And, once again, Brian you pop out some rule I wasn't even aware existed. Seriously, you should write 'The CBA and other NHL rules for Dummies'. I'd buy it, but i'd want a signed copy.

And, once again, Brian you pop out some rule I wasn't even aware existed. Seriously, you should write 'The CBA and other NHL rules for Dummies'. I'd buy it, but i'd want a signed copy.

I really only focus on sections related to the cap. As salary forfeitures due to suspensions is relevant to the cap, I have to pay attention to that rule. Heck, I should admit I wasn't aware of that rule until this season when the person who runs CapGeek brought it to my attention; after a couple of back and forths, we figured out how it should be interpreted. Without getting into too many details, it's a poorly worded rule that gave me a lot of grief. A quick example is that the CBA states that the player forfeits x salary upon suspension, yadda, yadda, yadda. Pages earlier, it says that salary = cap hit...so why they didn't just say that the player forfeits x cap hit is beyond me. But I digress, I'm sure this isn't exactly riveting reading here (sure wasn't riveting typing...).