Official NHL 2010-2011 thread

JoeLassister

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched the "Winter" classic. That was disappointing. Boring game IMO.

The weather probably played into it. But I thought a lot of players looked like their hearts weren't in it, you know?

And I didn't like the camera angles. Or maybe they didn't zoom in enough. I felt too far removed from the game, if that makes any sense. You got no sense of action or speed. And those overhead cameras work great for football. For hockey, not so much.

Gotta love Philly, they re-sign Leighton (2 years) after the playoff run but gets hurt in camp. He comes back, plays 1 game (a win at that) and is promptly waived today. At least he'll be the highest paid goalie in the AHL.

Gotta love Philly, they re-sign Leighton (2 years) after the playoff run but gets hurt in camp. He comes back, plays 1 game (a win at that) and is promptly waived today. At least he'll be the highest paid goalie in the AHL.

One day after I drop Bobs in my pool. :wacko:

That one still stings a little. Gomez was a cap shed. Losing a top defensive prospect to take on a top 10 worst contract in the NHL? ouch

He was a top defensive prospect with us but since then has fallen off the map a little. To say he has struggled in the AHL this year would be an understatement. Instead of being an impact D, he projects more to a 3rd pairing depth guy. Heck, at this point, I'd be more concerned with the fact Valentenko came back to North America.

As I mentioned in the Rumour thread, Langenbrunner is off to Dallas. Devils get a conditional 3rd rounder back dependent on him re-signing and/or playoff success.

If he re-signs before July 1st or Dallas wins in the first round, NJ gets Dallas's 2nd rounder. If they re-sign him after July 1, Devils get Stars' second-rounder and Devils trade them 2012 3rd rounder. And you thought the conditions on the Wisniewski pick were confusing...

Just found out that the Isles recently dealt Roloson to TB and now have Kevin Poulin and Nathan Lawson in net. The league should be investigating into these guys. They're tanking. They just traded their two MVPs of the season except for maybe Tavares.

Edited by BTH

Just found out that the Isles recently dealt Roloson to TB and now have Kevin Poulin and Nathan Lawson in net. The league should be investigating into these guys. They're tanking. They just traded their two MVPs of the season except for maybe Tavares.

To be fair, DiPietro, who was named starter after the trade, got hurt again. And it's hard to investigate for tanking when they're winning more without those guys than they were with them. It defies logic, but it seems to be working well for the Isles right now.

Well, we can forget about Frolov and rumours to the Habs, the KHL, or anywhere else. He's out for the year. Reports of partying in the streets of NYC...okay, maybe that's a stretch but fans are happy.

Guess the Eklund report of Frolov to the Habs (posted 4 hours ago) can die now. Good source on that one...

To be fair, DiPietro, who was named starter after the trade, got hurt again. And it's hard to investigate for tanking when they're winning more without those guys than they were with them. It defies logic, but it seems to be working well for the Isles right now.

DiPietro has one of the worst health situations in the league - it was a given he would get injured again.

DiPietro has one of the worst health situations in the league - it was a given he would get injured again.

For sure. But most expected him to last longer than what, 2, 3 days? Him getting hurt so quickly only exacerbated the issue, I don't think anyone expected a Lawson/Poulin tandem so quickly.

I think DP and Sami Salo have a little competition going on.

Somewhat notable trade today, Rangers trade Rozsival to Phoenix for Wolski. Phoenix saves on actual money (Rozsival makes less than Wolski salary wise) while the Rangers save on the cap. Still, an already weak NYR D gets even weaker.

St. Louis signs another guy from the KHL and places him on entry waivers. Considering the player is Kyle Wellwood, I don't think they need to be too worried about someone stealing him away. Petr Prucha, who cleared re-entry waivers last week is on the verge of signing with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL. How far has he fallen...nearing Wellwood territory actually.

Who would have thought... The Northeast division is now the weakest in the league with 3 teams out of 5 playing under .500

The good news is that this might the principal reason why we make the playoffs this year. We have to stay ahead of Buffalo (currently a nice 10 pt-lead), and we need one of Carolina or Atlanta to have a bad 2nd half.

We are the new "Southeast". Must be global warming

Who would have thought... The Northeast division is now the weakest in the league with 3 teams out of 5 playing under .500

The good news is that this might the principal reason why we make the playoffs this year. We have to stay ahead of Buffalo (currently a nice 10 pt-lead), and we need one of Carolina or Atlanta to have a bad 2nd half.

We are the new "Southeast". Must be global warming

Not too surprising; 2 inept GMs and an owner that refuses to pay top dollar to ice a decent product. I'm still shocked that Murray has a job after all the damage he's done to Ottawa.

That being said, as a Habs' fan I'm not complaining. :)

Fabian Brunnstrom, once a highly sought after prospect, is now property of the Leafs. He's heading to the Marlies though (been in the AHL all year), how far has his stock fallen? (And how expensive is that Marlies roster, lots of guys making serious coin for AHL'ers...)

On the waiver wire today, Patrick O'Sullivan waived...again. Safe to say he'll be heading overseas next year. Anssi Salmela, a NJ d-man waived now that he's healthy. Considering I expect the Habs to pick up some sort of D at some point off the waiver wire, I've gotta pay attention to whatever ones become available.

St. Louis signs another guy from the KHL and places him on entry waivers. Considering the player is Kyle Wellwood, I don't think they need to be too worried about someone stealing him away. Petr Prucha, who cleared re-entry waivers last week is on the verge of signing with SKA St. Petersburg of the KHL. How far has he fallen...nearing Wellwood territory actually.

Or maybe I was out to lunch there. San Jose claimed him today, I'm laughing my head off on that one. Poor St. Louis, they can't catch a break. Speaking of the Sharks, they also acquired Ben Eager from the Thrashers for a 5th rounder.