Habs get a Berger...of sorts

dlbalr

As from my not-so-cleverly phrased title, the Habs have signed free agent F Alain Berger to a 3 year, entry level contract commencing this season. The deal does not currently have an ATO as his OHL season has not yet ended. Off to do a write-up for the site...

6'4, 209, 52 points in 65 games this season with Oshawa. Guessing he's not a big offensive player...

Great to hear, I know nothing about the guy but I'm glad to see the Habs add a bigger offensive player to the lineup.

Edit:

After reading the scouting report maybe not a huge improvement for the team. Hope he turns out to be a decent bottom 6 guy.

Edited by BrenDittero

So he's like Darche?

Someone who follows the OHL more than I do calls him the 'Swiss Tomas Holmstrom' as most of his goals seem to come around the net, while half are on the PP. Seems to fit the profile as I'm reading concerns about his physical play (Holmstrom isn't known as a hitter) and his skating...aside from one site which calls it a strength.

Profile's now up, bear in mind I'm writing a scouting report based on internet scouting reports so it may not be perfect. http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=2451

Can't hurt, I guess. Sometimes the bigger guys take longer to develop.

I get that. They have Conboy already in the mix. They both have some offensive skills. You groom them from the get go, and maybe at the end of the day you get one to stick. We all know how many players actually make it to the bigs through the system. I still want them to groom a big defenseman to play wing for the same reason, maintaining the ability to play defense. Guys like Wyman and Dandeneaut are invaluable if they can compete at NHL level with that duel "citzenship." Byfuglien/ Brian Boyle come to mind. A center even better.

This seems like a no-brainer. If he fails or emerges as a plodding 4th liner, you've sacrificed nothing. But the thing about this team - at least as presently constituted - is that it's been reduced to using a Darche on the scoring lines and PP simply because Darche is the only guy who is willing to drive the net and take the punishment on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate Darche as a heart and soul guy and he's done well in that role. But really, too few commentators have remarked on how aberrant it is to have him out there in that role, which really should be going to a bigger and more talented player than him. This Berger guy probably won't be NHL ready until the current core has moved on (if ever), but he may be able to play that sort of role going forward. In principle, we need more players like this in the system. Therefore this is an impeccable move.

This may also reflect Gauthier's (apparent) penchant for seeking size. If so, we can expect more of these sorts of moves down the line.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

The Habs lately have always hit the UFA market at this time of year, so the fact there was a signing isn't surprising. Between getting Stejskal locked up (though already Hab property) and Zanette in Hamilton, and now this one, it's been a decent signing spree so far. There's likely one more coming, though it'll be from the QMJHL.

From what I've read, he seems like he'll fill a couple of roles, but at this point, I'm calling him extra young depth and not much else. Having dealt away picks lately, these types of signings help keep the prospect pool churning.

There was some sort of incident with him in the OHL last month, he was suspended indefinitely (turned out to be 3 games from the looks of it), not sure what happened though.

Amateur tryout?

Yep. ATO's are used for amateur (junior/NCAA) players when their season with said amateur team ends. Joe Stejskal signed one when his NCAA season ended and I presume Berger will when his year with the Gens ends.