Series Discussion: Habs vs Bruins

dlbalr

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am extremely happy to see Montreal playing Boston in the first round, great way to head into the playoffs with that last game too!

Its going to be a epic series considering the hight of the tension between these two teams at the moment, the history as these teams have faced off more then any other two teams in history and more then a few series in resent memory to boot!

I cannot wait and I know are guys can beat Boston and start another amazing playoff run!

Heres to a cup, long live the Habs! *CHEERS*!

I own a pizza place/sports bar in CT. Had hockey on one of the 11 tv's last night and A 18 yr old punk that was there having pizza with a couple of friends turns and asks me...

Punk - "you a hockey fan?"

Me - "yeah, I always have at least one tv on hockey."

Punk - "who u root for?"

Me - "Montreal"

Punk - "what?? Our enemy? I hate Montreal!"

Me - "why don't you shut your mouth before I throw u out..."

Enjoy your pizza.

It's gonna be one long series for me on New England...

Go Habs Go

I wanted to avoid this match up. Maybe it will bring the best out of the Habs, but I think our record against them is not that relevant. the last three games were gong shows all around. If we come out and beat them in the first game with speed, the second game will be a blood bath. Even if we win the series, I fear there will be nothing left in the tank and fewer players on the roster.

I hope Price can do for his playoff stats what he did for his season stats this year. I hope Gomez, Cammy, Pleks, AK, and Gionta catch fire. I hope PK doesn't get killed.

I feel more comfortable with this matchup than I would against Washington. The pressure is squarely on the Bruins...bad record against the habs, last years epic collapse, their new players never experiencing the playoffs before. I really don't think this will turn into a blood bath Brob, can you imagine the scrutiny this series will be under the NHL head office?

The first shoe has dropped already: The Canadian Election Leaders' Debate in French, originally scheduled for Thursday, was bumped to Wednesday because of the Habs being scheduled in to start on Thursday. Who says the Habs don't carry any clout nowadays? :)

The first shoe has dropped already: The Canadian Election Leaders' Debate in French, originally scheduled for Thursday, was bumped to Wednesday because of the Habs being scheduled in to start on Thursday. Who says the Habs don't carry any clout nowadays? :)

That's part of what makes our country so great. We have our priorities in order.

Everyone wants to watch the Habs / Bruins square off.

Hmm, I wonder if they can adjust my schedule so I don't work that night?

Good news, no back to backs from the sounds of it. Now it seems as if Game 3 will be Monday, not Sunday.

If that news is correct I think the scheduling works to our advantage.

Quickly looking at back to back games this year:

2 times, winning both nights in B to B games

2 times, losing both nights in B to B games

11 times, win one / lose one in B to B games

I wanted to avoid this match up. Maybe it will bring the best out of the Habs, but I think our record against them is not that relevant. the last three games were gong shows all around. If we come out and beat them in the first game with speed, the second game will be a blood bath. Even if we win the series, I fear there will be nothing left in the tank and fewer players on the roster.

I am not as worried as you, but I agree with your bottom line - this series is probably going to be grueling. However, I prefer the Bruins to the Flyers or Caps, and am somewhat optimistic that New York and Buffalo can do some damage.

I'll take it as a given that our future franchise players Price and Subban, and ALL 4 of our veteran top six forwards will bring their best (especially Pleks shutting down Krecji), or else the Habs are toast. Therefore, I look to others as the difference makers. Especially AK and Poo. Darche and DD might also work some magic. And the Wiz. He needs to continue his top 5 regular season performance.

All the talk about the Habs PP vs. Boston is on the money. Now that Subban seems to have turned his mega-wind-up into a dangerous weapon, having him and the Wiz back there on the PP is a serious threat. They are both mobile with the puck. I think this works best when JM puts Darche out to plant himself in Thomas' face.

Mea Culpas from me about AK. I was one of those advocating for a deadline move involving him and the Preds. I think he has come into focus since then as the lynch pin to our offense. Yes, I mean that. When he is hot, that Habs are hot. He is our only power forward (with Patches out) and he is the best o-zone passer on the team. That is true even when he is cold. But when he is hot, like now, his shot and body are lethal weapons.

I am not sure about the matchup, I would rather face a team with goaltending uissues since the habs don't score very often. On the other hand they won 4 games against them this series, so we'll have to see.

I Halpern is healthy i think i sit Pouliot, use Halpern between White and Pyatt.

Also, who is the bottom pair, Spacek and Sopel? Or do you use Mara doe to the size of the Bruins.

I am 50-50 in terms of confidence for this serie. I am also 50-50 in terms of how I like the matchup.

Sure we can outplay them, but they can outplay us as well.

The only thing that I'm sure is that it is gonna be the most exciting serie of round 1.

I am 50-50 in terms of confidence for this serie. I am also 50-50 in terms of how I like the matchup.

Sure we can outplay them, but they can outplay us as well.

The only thing that I'm sure is that it is gonna be the most exciting serie of round 1.

The only fear I have is a continuation of the nonsense that has already occurred. The Bruins have still suffered ZERO ramifications from their mauling in the 8-6 game or the Chara incident. There isn't exactly any precedent to fear any league enforced penalties.

Would the B's really suffer if Campbell/Thornton run Subban and take him out of the series? Could we really expect this to be below them?

If the nonsense goes away the Habs can win.

Playoff hockey is about match ups. No one does this better than Muller; IMO he and the coaching staff were a big part of why we were ready and why we went deep last season. Yes, individual play will make a huge difference. Price needs to be better than Halak and the others need to step up and into the playoff hockey mindset.

If our coaching staff do their job and assign our players to play their roles and create the right match ups we have a shot at this series.

No one is allowed to play this battle on their own; and as much as I am a Subban fan and as much as I'd like to see end to end rushes if its not in the game plan it stays off the ice!

Defend, Create and Dominate, Play together and Win together.

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

With the spotty way the Habs have played this season, a laundry list of injuries and coupled with the fact that the playoffs are unpredictable, I don't know that there is any match up that anyone would be 100% confident in.

Flyers, Caps, Bruins, Pens, Lightning, Rangers, Sabres - All respectable teams with talented players, all capable of beating the Habs and vice versa.

I like this round 1 match up of MTL / BOS because it cuts right to the chase.

This is the series I'm sure most of us have been anticipating all season long and I think we're fortunate to see it happen right out of the gate.

As far as the Bruins gooning it up goes, it will probably happen - especially if we lead the series by a game or more. On the flip side, Boston probably won't want to give up too many power plays with stupid penalties.

Either way, no sense in worrying too much about things that haven't happened yet.

Nothing to do now but play the hand we were dealt and hope that the cards fall in our favor.

I'm sure it won't be pretty but like Lassister said " most exciting series of round 1 "

Go Habs Go

Edited by BrenDittero

Playoff hockey is about match ups. No one does this better than Muller; IMO he and the coaching staff were a big part of why we were ready and why we went deep last season. Yes, individual play will make a huge difference. Price needs to be better than Halak and the others need to step up and into the playoff hockey mindset.

If our coaching staff do their job and assign our players to play their roles and create the right match ups we have a shot at this series.

No one is allowed to play this battle on their own; and as much as I am a Subban fan and as much as I'd like to see end to end rushes if its not in the game plan it stays off the ice!

Defend, Create and Dominate, Play together and Win together.

GO HABS GO!

Does Price need to be better than Halak to win? I think this team is better than last seasons team. Better 5 on 5 and better special teams.

The Habs/Bruins are a lot closer in talent then the Caps/Habs were. Lost in the media's love fest with the Bruins is that they don't really have any elite offensive talent. Savard is gone and Kessel is in Toronto. They rely on hard work to score, just like the Habs. Solid players, but no offensive superstars.

This series is a coin flip and will likely come down to discipline and bounces.

Edited by Wamsley01

Is this thursday yet ?

Just noticed that I will be at work for game 1 - 3 - 4 and half of game 5. Is this called "missing the action" ?

Edited by JoeLassister

I'm thrilled by this matchu for sheer entertainment purposes. It's going to be great hockey, until Boston starts it's nonsense. The series will come down to the referring and power plays IMHO.

We all know Boston will be physical, but I'm afraid the refs will have a loose attitude and let too much go. There will be too many after the whistle scrums started by Boston that the refs will take one from each team. I just hope the refereeing isn't as bad as the Washington / Montreal series last year. Sure they overcame it, but it was disgraceful.

If Montreal gets their legs moving early in games, I honestly think they have a chance to win because they will quickly tire Boston out. It's hard to check a player you can't catch. This will force Boston to take penalties and the real key is the power play from Montreal.

Let's just hope CBC doesn't have to play bad non-call montages in this year's playoffs like they did last year. One montage was after the first period where Washington had 2 power plays and Montreal had none, yet there were 7 blatant penalties including an intentional elbow to the head of Andrei Kostitsyn, 3 feet from a ref.

One big difference is that Boston has a great goalie and solid D. Last year we turtled and scored against some awful goaltending. I don''t think we will find goals too easy to come by.

My worry is that the Boston 3/4 lines can eat ours for lunch. I think they have much more depth then us. We have two rookies centering our bottom two lines. We are not even sure who our number 6 forward is. Our D is bruised and old.

IMO, we only win this if the Bruins lose it for us. Either they collapse like last year, or are so stupid they spend the night in the box. I don't think they will get into too much penalty trouble. I suspect our guys will.

Does Price need to be better than Halak to win? I think this team is better than last seasons team. Better 5 on 5 and better special teams.

The Habs/Bruins are a lot closer in talent then the Caps/Habs were. Lost in the media's love fest with the Bruins is that they don't really have any elite offensive talent. Savard is gone and Kessel is in Toronto. They rely on hard work to score, just like the Habs. Solid players, but no offensive superstars.

This series is a coin flip and will likely come down to discipline and bounces.

One big difference is that Boston has a great goalie and solid D. Last year we turtled and scored against some awful goaltending. I don''t think we will find goals too easy to come by.

My worry is that the Boston 3/4 lines can eat ours for lunch. I think they have much more depth then us. We have two rookies centering our bottom two lines. We are not even sure who our number 6 forward is. Our D is bruised and old.

IMO, we only win this if the Bruins lose it for us. Either they collapse like last year, or are so stupid they spend the night in the box. I don't think they will get into too much penalty trouble. I suspect our guys will.

You can't really use logic to predict playoff matchups. The teams are so evenly matched now that any team can lose.

What would logic have told us last season against the Caps and the defending Stanley Cup champion Pens? Lose your best player playing against two of the three best players in the world and their Stanley Cup/Olympic goalie and you are screwed right?

How about the 2002 Bruins and their depth? The Habs had no chance with Koivu, Zednik, Perreault, Audette, Gilmour etc.

These things happen every season where logic dictates one result and the playoffs offer up a different one. The 2008 Habs had won 11 straight against the Bruins and were up 3-1. They had lost 1 of their previous 15 games and all of a sudden were life and death having to play a game seven.

In their last 7 playoff appearances the Habs have knocked off a 1 or 2 seed four times. The only times they didn't were 2006 and 2009 and the only one that really played out to script was 2009 when they were injury ravaged. I have given up logic and essentially guessing who will win.

All I know is the Habs are just as good and I hope for the best.

I own a pizza place/sports bar in CT. Had hockey on one of the 11 tv's last night and A 18 yr old punk that was there having pizza with a couple of friends turns and asks me...

Punk - "you a hockey fan?"

Me - "yeah, I always have at least one tv on hockey."

Punk - "who u root for?"

Me - "Montreal"

Punk - "what?? Our enemy? I hate Montreal!"

Me - "why don't you shut your mouth before I throw u out..."

Enjoy your pizza.

It's gonna be one long series for me on New England...

Go Habs Go

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

You can't really use logic to predict playoff matchups. The teams are so evenly matched now that any team can lose.

What would logic have told us last season against the Caps and the defending Stanley Cup champion Pens? Lose your best player playing against two of the three best players in the world and their Stanley Cup/Olympic goalie and you are screwed right?

How about the 2002 Bruins and their depth? The Habs had no chance with Koivu, Zednik, Perreault, Audette, Gilmour etc.

These things happen every season where logic dictates one result and the playoffs offer up a different one. The 2008 Habs had won 11 straight against the Bruins and were up 3-1. They had lost 1 of their previous 15 games and all of a sudden were life and death having to play a game seven.

In their last 7 playoff appearances the Habs have knocked off a 1 or 2 seed four times. The only times they didn't were 2006 and 2009 and the only one that really played out to script was 2009 when they were injury ravaged. I have given up logic and essentially guessing who will win.

All I know is the Habs are just as good and I hope for the best.

Amen.

Is this thursday yet ?

Just noticed that I will be at work for game 1 - 3 - 4 and half of game 5. Is this called "missing the action" ?

I hear ya, I'm working during games 1, 3, 6, 7 and part of 4.