GDT: Game 3, Bruins vs Habs

dlbalr

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bah.. close but no cigar... our record pulling the goalie is not very good.

Big game on Thursday. Maybe on Thursday, they can play like this in the first. If they get the lead, they know what to do, but giving up those early goals killed them.

The Habs outshoot their opponent and lose. It seems to me that for 2 rounds, this was the case, was it not? As for my Pouliot prediction, I was right. I didn't think think he'd get 3 shifts after the penalty and he only got 2, both in the 2nd period.

Full stats if anyone's interested: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20102011/ES030133.HTM

Oh well, it's time to see what bar has in place for a playoff-revised GDT.

Had to miss this one. It sounds, though, like the Bruins made some adjustments and it took us awhile to figure them out. Or was it just a matter of intensity?

Hard to say. The Habs looked very sloppy with the puck in the first. Price made some big saves and the Bruins had a little puck luck on goals 2 and 3.

Then Thomas gave up two brutal goals to let the Habs back in the game. I think it is pretty clear that the first goal is going to determine the winner of the majority of these games. I wanted them to get out of the first period even, I knew the Bruins would come out hard.

This team doesn't believe in doing things the easy way, Thursday becomes integral now. They need to match their intensity from games one and two.

The missing factor was intensity. In the first, it was nervous excitement. In the third, it was speed and hard work.

The first goal is just killer for this team. Spotting a three goal lead is just not going to cut it. They need to come out better on Thursday and get that first goal.

I actually think that this is the best the Habs have played all series. There were some mistakes that lead to two on ones, and a few too many big errors in the defensive zone which cost the game. I really wish they would have pressed Chara more. He didn't look right to me. I know I said it many times, but oh well. Face off losses were a big problem tonight. It was a good game over all, and I'm optimistic about Wednesday. I called this loss anyway.

well....Thomas bailed the Bruins out in the 3rd, the Habs really turned up the pressure...unfortunately it was the lack of effort in the first 20 minutes of the game that cost them. The positives to take from that game (Kostitsyn and Pleks both got the monkey off their backs, and Chara looks to be worn down). Game 4 shows a lot of promise for the Habs.

if gomez had any hand, it would be tied on that last play :(

:rolleyes:

This, fellow Habs fans, was hell of a third period.

I left job for 30 mins and hit a bar to see the end of the 3rd. I was about to have an heart attack !!!

Edited by JoeLassister

:rolleyes:

This, fellow Habs fans, was hell of a third period.

I left job for 30 mins and hit a bar to see the end of the 3rd. I was about to have an heart attack !!!

HAHAHAHA! No team is going to run perfectly , like an atomic clock (if they run perfectly?) for 4 straight games and few opponents are going to play poorly for a whole series either. C'est la vie. We came very close to climbing right back in in the third. It's a series. :quebec::canada::1gohabs:

The way I'm looking at this is that the Habs played a less than perfect 1st and partial 2nd period but were able to almost rally back.

Out of the first 2 Boston games, getting one win on the road would have been great but we managed 2.

So a 2-1 series going into game 4 is a pretty great outcome at this point.

I feel like the Habs will be better prepared for the opening period of the next game and will hopefully come out swinging like they did in Boston.

The Habs outshoot their opponent and lose. It seems to me that for 2 rounds, this was the case, was it not? As for my Pouliot prediction, I was right. I didn't think think he'd get 3 shifts after the penalty and he only got 2, both in the 2nd period.

Full stats if anyone's interested: http://www.nhl.com/scores/htmlreports/20102011/ES030133.HTM

Oh well, it's time to see what bar has in place for a playoff-revised GDT.

Oh there will be something special....I hope...

Well, preferences for lineup changes for Game 4? For me, I'd want to see Mara in for Spacek and Halpern for Pouliot (as long as someone other than Halpern gets moved to the wing for the purpose of taking faceoffs).

Well, I think we need to calm down and remember that nobody was expecting a Habs sweep going in. Next game is crucial, but this Habs team has shown shocking resiliency before under arduous circumstances. If they do lose Game Four, though, I'll be mad at them - not for endangering the series (it will simply be an even split, the toss-up it always was) but for squandering the opportunity to close out the series early and thus earning some rest for the next one. These guys need to man up and put the Bruins out of their misery ASAP.

That the Habs outshot Boston last night just shows to me the uselessness of shot totals as an indicator of play. The team that's playing catch-up usually gets more shots. This is one reason why the 'experts' are again off-base when they try to 'prove' that the Habs suck, with reference to shots against.

Well, I think we need to calm down and remember that nobody was expecting a Habs sweep going in. Next game is crucial, but this Habs team has shown shocking resiliency before under arduous circumstances. If they do lose Game Four, though, I'll be mad at them - not for endangering the series (it will simply be an even split, the toss-up it always was) but for squandering the opportunity to close out the series early and thus earning some rest for the next one. These guys need to man up and put the Bruins out of their misery ASAP.

That the Habs outshot Boston last night just shows to me the uselessness of shot totals as an indicator of play. The team that's playing catch-up usually gets more shots. This is one reason why the 'experts' are again off-base when they try to 'prove' that the Habs suck, with reference to shots against.

The Bruins had more chances and in reality, the only reason it was a game was because Thomas was a sieve on the Plekanec/Kostitsyn goals.

The Habs were full value for the 3rd period, but before the Kostitsyn goal the scoring chances were 13-4 for the Bruins. Price was fantastic, but a bad bounce of the boards and a puck handling brain fart hid how good he was. Meanwhile Thomas wasn't challenged through 30 minutes but looks like a star because of the 36 shot number.

http://enattendantlesnordiques.blogspot.com/2011/04/30133-boston-4-montreal-2.html

The Habs didn't deserve to win that game and the first 30 minutes cost them.

The Bruins had more chances and in reality, the only reason it was a game was because Thomas was a sieve on the Plekanec/Kostitsyn goals.

The Habs were full value for the 3rd period, but before the Kostitsyn goal the scoring chances were 13-4 for the Bruins. Price was fantastic, but a bad bounce of the boards and a puck handling brain fart hid how good he was. Meanwhile Thomas wasn't challenged through 30 minutes but looks like a star because of the 36 shot number.

The Habs didn't deserve to win that game and the first 30 minutes cost them.

As usual, it would seem, I agree with everything you say, almost. Plek's shot might have been a surprise, but it was still a weak weak goal. AK's was another story:

a) What a move on Chara! Reminded me of peewee.

b) I think AK chose the five hole - it is well known that Thomas is soft there. Can't be sure, but if he did, it was a brilliant goal to finish a brilliant sequence - hard to call Thomas a sieve when it was rather one of the Hab's most skilled players executing a perfect finish, IMHO.

Also, the Hab's may not have deserved to win, but they restored their confidence in the third period by controlling the game in a way that neither team had done thus far in the series.

We'll see intensity right from the get go on Thursday. Until then, rest up and stay focused.

As usual, it would seem, I agree with everything you say, almost. Plek's shot might have been a surprise, but it was still a weak weak goal. AK's was another story:

a) What a move on Chara! Reminded me of peewee.

b) I think AK chose the five hole - it is well known that Thomas is soft there. Can't be sure, but if he did, it was a brilliant goal to finish a brilliant sequence - hard to call Thomas a sieve when it was rather one of the Hab's most skilled players executing a perfect finish, IMHO.

Also, the Hab's may not have deserved to win, but they restored their confidence in the third period by controlling the game in a way that neither team had done thus far in the series.

We'll see intensity right from the get go on Thursday. Until then, rest up and stay focused.

When you have a shooter closed out with zero options it shouldn't go in. He had the horizontal and vertical plane covered and there was no pass option.

Did anyone else notice in the first period of the game when Chara "checked" the Montreal forwards, he was swinging his elbow at their heads? I noticed it 3 times. He wasn't trying to use his shoulder at all, but raising his elbow and swinging it.