GDT: Game 4 - Bruins @ Habs Apr. 21, 2011

bar

Just watched the overtime goal on my PVR high def plasma and not that it's an excuse, but it appears the goal was offside. It looks to me like Kelly lifted his back foot on the blue line before the puck went over. Just making an observation, this game should have never come down to that.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha guys relax it's 2-2 not 3-1, you all want the habs to come out loose and on fire and yet it seems like someone died here. If I told you before the series the habs were 2-2 after 4 games and a hairsbreath from being 3-1 you'd all of most likely taken it, nothing changes. They got caught running around too much.

Thanks Bar. I needed something to stop myself from crying.

Price was scrambling because his defense were leaving guys wide open and allowing a ton of lateral puck movement. They were second to the puck on pucks that missed the net, forcing him to power push to backside recoveries. On the backside recoveries his D was losing the battle and the Bruins were reversing the puck back resulting in another power slide for another backside recovery.

All controlled movements, not the erratic scrambles from Thomas. unfortunately you cannot win if your goaltender has to move that much.

You view it as Price overcompensating because he is. When the opposition has somebody in open space like that you are in trouble regardless of who is in goal.

Well, fair enough. I sure prefer that analysis to the idea of Price's game slipping in the clutch.

As this series wears on the absence of Gorges and Markov become more glaring. That may seem like an obvious statement, but it's still frustrating. What's puzzling, also, is why these guys seem to loosen their commitment to The System whenever they find themselves in a good spot. It happened in Game 3 and it happened after Kostitsyn's goal tonight. It's as if they can only muster the commitment required to play that way when their backs are to the wall. Understandable I suppose - I'm not the guy being asked blocking 95-mph slapshots - but you'd think they'd have learned by now: play the system, you usually win. Don't, you usually don't. It ain't rocket science.

Just watched the overtime goal on my PVR high def plasma and not that it's an excuse, but it appears the goal was offside. It looks to me like Kelly lifted his back foot on the blue line before the puck went over. Just making an observation, this game should have never come down to that.

It is offside, but you cant expect somebody to see that at full speed.

I'd say Bruins feel fantastic right about now. They just pumped 5 by Carey. They fought off a gift power-play late in the 3rd period. Bonded in Lake Placid, and now get to go home, where their fans should be crazy. Interesting stat of the night? They've now won 4 playoff games in a row in Montreal, wow.

I'd say Bruins feel fantastic right about now. They just pumped 5 by Carey. They fought off a gift power-play late in the 3rd period. Bonded in Lake Placid, and now get to go home, where their fans should be crazy. Interesting stat of the night? They've now won 4 playoff games in a row in Montreal, wow.

I don't give a sh*t about those kinds of stats myself, and if you ask me, the situation you describe is exactly the sort in which this Habs team has consistently delivered. They seem to love being behind the 8-ball and that's when they bring their best. Unfortunately, as this series have shown, we are not a team that copes well at all with being the favourite. We're the boxer who does his damage coming out of the corner.

Well, fair enough. I sure prefer that analysis to the idea of Price's game slipping in the clutch.

As this series wears on the absence of Gorges and Markov become more glaring. That may seem like an obvious statement, but it's still frustrating. What's puzzling, also, is why these guys seem to loosen their commitment to The System whenever they find themselves in a good spot. It happened in Game 3 and it happened after Kostitsyn's goal tonight. It's as if they can only muster the commitment required to play that way when their backs are to the wall. Understandable I suppose - I'm not the guy being asked blocking 95-mph slapshots - but you'd think they'd have learned by now: play the system, you usually win. Don't, you usually don't. It ain't rocket science.

Either that or these two teams are evenly matched and when you don't bring 100% effort you lose.

That game was split right down the middle. The habs controlled half, the Bruins the other half. A break or two here or there either way and the habs win.

Both goalies were scrambling for their lives because it was wide open a poorly played defensively.

This isn't over by a long shot.

I don't give a sh*t about those kinds of stats myself, and if you ask me, the situation you describe is exactly the sort in which this Habs team has consistently delivered. They seem to love being behind the 8-ball and that's when they bring their best. Unfortunately, as this series have shown, we are not a team that copes well at all with being the favourite. We're the boxer who does his damage coming out of the corner.

I sure as hell hope you're right. We'll be fine, we have Scott Gomez. Who we all know coasts through about 80 games, then shows up when it matters most. I'm being sarcastic, but, can he score ONE important goal, ever?

:wall:

Either that or these two teams are evenly matched and when you don't bring 100% effort you lose.

That game was split right down the middle. The habs controlled half, the Bruins the other half. A break or two here or there either way and the habs win.

Both goalies were scrambling for their lives because it was wide open a poorly played defensively.

This isn't over by a long shot.

Thanks for cheering me up. I was enjoying the first half too much. UGH!

Like I posted before the playoffs, 7 game series ebb and flow. One team looks done and they find a reserve tank and the other team looks done.

Right now Bruins fans cant see how they can possibly lose but one or two adjustments and increased Canadiens effort and they will be in shock again.

Everybody forgets that even when they choked against Carolina, the Canes required 2 OT wins to take that series.

Edited by Wamsley01

I find that logic frustrating. The Habs didn't intentionally lose the last two games because they didn't want to win this in four or make it too easy. ( i understand that that isn't what you're saying )

They lost because they did work hard enough for the win + maybe some bad luck.

They should have had this game but continually let it slip between their fingers.

That they love being the underdog is an excuse we use to make ourselves feel better about a loss ( or a couple losses )

They are a solid team that maybe the media considers underdogs. A thought I don't share.

Series isn't over for sure, many miles to go. They will have to be better moving forward and get over this underdog thing.

Edited by BrenDittero

I find that logic frustrating. The Habs didn't intentionally lose the last two games because they didn't want to win this in four or make it too easy. ( i understand that that isn't what you're saying )

They should have had this game but continually let it slip between their fingers.

That they love being the underdog is an excuse we use to make ourselves feel better about a loss ( or a couple losses )

They are a solid team that maybe the media considers underdogs. A thought I don't share.

Series isn't over for sure, many miles to go. They will have to be better moving forward and get over this underdog thing.

I don't think they relish the underdog role, what I think is this team is a 12-16th place team that isn't good enough to bury teams and provide the effort required for push back when the other team is desperate. The only way they will win a series in less than 6 games is with some luck.

A team like the Canucks is good enough to take some punches and say "is that all you got?" The habs aren't right now.

Not for one second do I think that they weren't trying, but when both teams bring 100% effort the outcome will be decided by breaks.

I don't think I'm making excuses. This team takes its foot off the accelerator at the first opportunity, perhaps because of cockiness, but more likely because The System is very demanding. It's hard to play that way and consciously or not, you tend to let up when you see daylight, or so I'd speculate.

It's worth noting that they won two game sevens last playoff. These guys have no track record of handily beating opponents. Their collective psyche just seems to be that of the scrapper coming off the mat to score a KO. You're absolutely right that if they ever actually want to WIN something, they will have to get over that and learn to kill the opponent when they're down.

I see the issue as relentless fidelity to the system. If we can sustain that for 60 minutes every night, we will win.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I don't think I'm making excuses. This team takes its foot off the accelerator at the first opportunity, perhaps because of cockiness, but more likely because The System is very demanding. It's hard to play that way and consciously or not, you tend to let up when you see daylight, or so I'd speculate.

It's worth noting that they won two game sevens last playoff. These guys have no track record of handily beating opponents. Their collective psyche just seems to be that of the scrapper coming off the mat to score a KO. You're absolutely right that if they ever actually want to WIN something, they will have to get over that and learn to kill the opponent when they're down.

I want so badly for them to figure out the Devils system and commitment that my confirmation bias rears it's ugly head when they manage to pretend they figured it out, in all reality they just aren't good enough to take this in 4 or 5. With a full squad the Bruins would be already out, even with Savard, but that is not reality.

Edited by Wamsley01

It's funny to me that people would still be talking about Halak in a discussion about the Habs.

Halak has as much to do with this playoff series as Auld does.

Nobody said it was intelligent discussion.

Edited by Wamsley01

I want so badly for them to figure out the Devils system and commitment that my confirmation bias rears it's ugly head when they manage to pretend they figured it out, in all reality they just aren't good enough to take this in 4 or 5. With a full squad the Bruins would be already out, even with Savard, but that is not reality.

It's hard to say, isn't it? The hopeful thing is that every time they need to win - almost every single time - they seem to come up with one of those textbook Devils-style performances. Hell, just look at the first 30 minutes tonight. So to me, the question is: are they just not good enough to play that way consistently (your suggestion)? Or do they have an unintentional tendency to take the easier path when things look good (the 'underdog' explanation)? The third option is that they don't do it consistently because it's too punishing, which gets back to team design (too many small players, etc.).

This series won't give us the answer, that's for sure, because it's desperation time from here on in.

You're absolutely right that if they ever actually want to WIN something, they will have to get over that and learn to kill the opponent when they're down.

I see the issue as relentless fidelity to the system. If we can sustain that for 60 minutes every night, we will win.

As annoying as tonight's loss is, when I look back at how I thought this series might go before game one, I thought that Boston would take the Boston games and Montreal would take their home games.

I guess it isn't surprising that this is the spot we're in outside of the flip flop of who won where.

I'm looking forward to saturday and seeing the Habs back in Boston....is the pressure in Boston enough to keep their heads in the game for a full 60 mins?

Edited by BrenDittero

Listening to the idiots over at Habs I/O I'm glad I have this refuge of discussion. Everyone is panicing I don't get it. It's now a best of 3 series, the habs have not been out played in this game, they just to need to decide are they a wide open team or a checking team, this switching back and forth will not do them good.

As annoying as tonight's loss is, when I look back at how I thought this series might go before game one, I thought that Boston would take the Boston games and Montreal would take their home games.

I guess it isn't surprising that this is the spot we're in outside of the flip flop of who won where.

I'm looking forward to saturday and seeing the Habs back in Boston....is the pressure in Boston enough to keep their heads in the game for a full 60 mins?

The Habs record at home in the playoffs over the last decade is awful.

2002 - 3-3

2004 - 1-4

2006 - 0-3

2008 - 4-3

2009 - 0-2

2010 - 3-4

2011 - 0-2

11-21 @ home with that crowd? That is horrible.

Contrast that to their road record in that same time span

2002 - 3-4

2004 - 3-3

2006 - 2-1

2008 - 1-4

2009 - 0-2

2010 - 5-6

14-20 including three game seven victories on the road.

Listening to the idiots over at Habs I/O I'm glad I have this refuge of discussion. Everyone is panicing I don't get it. It's now a best of 3 series, the habs have not been out played in this game, they just to need to decide are they a wide open team or a checking team, this switching back and forth will not do them good.

Are they calling for Martin's resignation yet? Hahaha

We're in a good spot. Admittedly, it could be better but at least it's not worse.

A best of 3 sounds good to me.....if we win.