GDT: Game 7, Habs vs Bruins

dlbalr

I'M proud of our boys. With all the injuries, it was a tough assignment.

I'm already looking forward to next year with MaxPac, Subban, Price, Desharnais and Eller. I have to say that Eller really impressed me in this series. I was at the Bell Centre last night, and Eller played a really good game. I think he really grew in this series!

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm already looking forward to next year with MaxPac, Subban, Price, Desharnais and Eller. I have to say that Eller really impressed me in this series. I was at the Bell Centre last night, and Eller played a really good game. I think he really grew in this series!

On Eller, yeah...I didn't realize he had it in him to play that kind of physical hockey. Brobin makes a good point, though. Keep him protected, let him evolve.

The Habs need to go for it next season.

How many opportunities do you get to have Subban/Price making $4M combined? They are like Kane/Toews last season. They need to be bold and roll the dice on Markov and get a Bieksa or reup Wiz. Then get another impact guy.

Deal with the issues the season after.

This team is on the cusp if they make the right moves.

I just hope we can get someone a little bigger up front. Our top 4 guys(Camms, Plex, Gio, Gomer) are all a little small. They could use some bulk up front. I understand that MaxPac will be back...but I'm starting to think that maybe we might have to deal AK46...try to get another top 6 guy who is at least 6'2" - 215pds.

The Habs need to go for it next season.

How many opportunities do you get to have Subban/Price making $4M combined? They are like Kane/Toews last season. They need to be bold and roll the dice on Markov and get a Bieksa or reup Wiz. Then get another impact guy.

Deal with the issues the season after.

This team is on the cusp if they make the right moves.

Not only those two, but Eller, Desharnais and Pacioretty are really cheap support guys considering how much they've improved over the year. One of the reasons why I really liked the Habs acquiring Eller was because he would be a great bargain until his first contract.

Not only those two, but Eller, Desharnais and Pacioretty are really cheap support guys considering how much they've improved over the year. One of the reasons why I really liked the Habs acquiring Eller was because he would be a great bargain until his first contract.

Yep. This is the Cup window opening.

Yep. This is the Cup window opening.

Andrei Kostitsyn also really impressed me in this series. Throughout his career he's always been the one guy on the Habs that seemed to be completely unafraid of Chara. Eller too seemed unintimidated by him.

So the 3 young rookies, the Big Four, plus Kostitsyn give the Habs a lot of scoring depth for next season. I'm not convinced changes need to be made.

Andrei Kostitsyn also really impressed me in this series. Throughout his career he's always been the one guy on the Habs that seemed to be completely unafraid of Chara. Eller too seemed unintimidated by him.

So the 3 young rookies, the Big Four, plus Kostitsyn give the Habs a lot of scoring depth for next season. I'm not convinced changes need to be made.

Kostitsyn never had a shift where he didn't look like he wasn't going to score. The points may not have been there, but he just looked like a different player to me. Outside of his weak play along the defensive zone boards, he manned up significantly these playoffs.

Kostitsyn never had a shift where he didn't look like he wasn't going to score. The points may not have been there, but he just looked like a different player to me. Outside of his weak play along the defensive zone boards, he manned up significantly these playoffs.

To me, he looked either like the best player on the ice or the worst player on the ice.....would of been nice if he buried one in the clutch

To me, he looked either like the best player on the ice or the worst player on the ice.....would of been nice if he buried one in the clutch

Some erraticism but Kosty's given me reason for cautious, muted hope that the best may be yet to come. As some will recall, though, I don't trust him ever to become more than he's been. But he did seem to hit another level at times down the stretch. He doesn't have to be a superstar, but if he can become more reliable, it'd really help.

Having trouble going off-line...it's only 8:30 in vancouver and I don't feel like letting the season go! (Also, other Habs boards seem to be full of angry people spouting off about JM and god knows what else. This seems to be the only sane place).

Eller was definitely a standout in this series. I look forward to watching his developement.

Some erraticism but Kosty's given me reason for cautious, muted hope that the best may be yet to come. As some will recall, though, I don't trust him ever to become more than he's been. But he did seem to hit another level at times down the stretch. He doesn't have to be a superstar, but if he can become more reliable, it'd really help.

Having trouble going off-line...it's only 8:30 in vancouver and I don't feel like letting the season go! (Also, other Habs boards seem to be full of angry people spouting off about JM and god knows what else. This seems to be the only sane place).

How can anybody be upset with this season?

A little perspective is all it takes to realize what a success this season was. In September the fans booed Price, had no idea who Eller was, had half written off Pacioretty because he wasnt an instant star and were hoping the Habs could weather the storm until Markov returned. DD who? Subban was to be nurtured as the 6th defenseman and eased into the league.

Here we are in April after Price had a huge year, Subban made the transition that few 21 year olds can make on D, the Habs played the whole season without Markov, etc. Etc.

They provided a glimpse this season. This wasn't a statistical fluke with paper OT wins, improbable 50 save wins and a high shooting percentage with no injuries. This was the beginning of a new era. A system, two legit superstars under the age of 23 and leadership that refuses to acknowledge defeat in the eyes of long odds.

Subban and Price are not a mirage. They are the two best players this franchise has had in over a decade. I can handle playoff defeats when I understand limitations and limit expectation. Everything after the playoffs was gravy. The Bruins fans have been conned into thinking they are a Cup contender so this series was everything to them, I will take playoff defeats over the next 5 years more heavily than this.

How can anybody be upset with this season?

A little perspective is all it takes to realize what a success this season was. In September the fans booed Price, had no idea who Eller was, had half written off Pacioretty because he wasnt an instant star and were hoping the Habs could weather the storm until Markov returned. DD who? Subban was to be nurtured as the 6th defenseman and eased into the league.

Here we are in April after Price had a huge year, Subban made the transition that few 21 year olds can make on D, the Habs played the whole season without Markov, etc. Etc.

They provided a glimpse this season. This wasn't a statistical fluke with paper OT wins, improbable 50 save wins and a high shooting percentage with no injuries. This was the beginning of a new era. A system, two legit superstars under the age of 23 and leadership that refuses to acknowledge defeat in the eyes of long odds.

Subban and Price are not a mirage. They are the two best players this franchise has had in over a decade. I can handle playoff defeats when I understand limitations and limit expectation. Everything after the playoffs was gravy. The Bruins fans have been conned into thinking they are a Cup contender so this series was everything to them, I will take playoff defeats over the next 5 years more heavily than this.

There can be no question that Price and Subban are the nucleus of the next 5-10 years (assuming we can lock 'em up), and that they are an elite nucleus. It's been 15 years since we saw a rookie of PK's calibre (the pre-injury Koivu). I'm with you - this team is much, much closer than all the 'experts' who will predict a 10th place finish for us next season think. A lot hinges on whether Patches can come back strong, come to think of it. If he does, and if we can re-sign or replace Wiz, then look out. Could be a memorable season ahead.

There can be no question that Price and Subban are the nucleus of the next 5-10 years (assuming we can lock 'em up), and that they are an elite nucleus. It's been 15 years since we saw a rookie of PK's calibre (the pre-injury Koivu). I'm with you - this team is much, much closer than all the 'experts' who will predict a 10th place finish for us next season think. A lot hinges on whether Patches can come back strong, come to think of it. If he does, and if we can re-sign or replace Wiz, then look out. Could be a memorable season ahead.

Its a good thing to be a Habs fan. I would like to thank every player and usher in the whole orgnaization for managing to do so well and their great efforts to play the wonderful game. I too look forward to next year, good Lord willin' 'n the crik don't rise.

Koivu's rookie season was not like this. It was his sophomore season in which he took off.

Subban had the greatest rookie season (non goalie) since probably Chris Chelios in 1985. Same type of playoff introduction followed by a big rookie year.

The Habs have Price, Subban, Eller, Pacioretty, Desharnais and Weber. Weber is looking more and more like Streit 2.0 (not because of his nationality). They have a ton of young tools and their veteran core is not really old. Cammalleri and Plekanec are only 29 years old.

When they re-sign Markov (and they will) he will not have to log the major minutes anymore. They have a horse to replace his tough minutes.

If Gauthier is aggressive this off season the Habs can have a 2-3 year window in which they take a legit shot at the Cup, not a "lets get in the playoffs and hope for the best" type run. This is the best young crop of players this franchise has had since the Roy, Richer, Corson, Chelios run that lead to a 10 year Cup contender.

Edited by Wamsley01

Koivu's rookie season was not like this. It was his sophomore season in which he took off.

Subban had the greatest rookie season (non goalie) since probably Chris Chelios in 1985. Same type of playoff introduction followed by a big rookie year.

The Habs have Price, Subban, Eller, Pacioretty, Desharnais and Weber. Weber is looking more and more like Streit 2.0 (not because of his nationality). They have a ton of young tools and their veteran core is not really old. Cammalleri and Plekanec are only 29 years old.

When they re-sign Markov (and they will) he will not have to log the major minutes anymore. They have a horse to replace his tough minutes.

If Gauthier is aggressive this off season the Habs can have a 2-3 year window in which they take a legit shot at the Cup, not a "lets get in the playoffs and hope for the best" type run. This is the best young crop of players this franchise has had since the Roy, Richer, Corson, Chelios run that lead to a 10 year Cup contender.

Great post. One year from now we can look back on this. The prophecy is written.

Great post. One year from now we can look back on this. The prophecy is written.

As I read what you have written, I ask myself, why the hell not? Thank you Mr Gainey! He aimed for a team that could be competitive every year, bet the farm through thick and thin on a promising goalie, stood and delivered.

:1gohabs::bouncing:

Two things I'm surprised about:

1. A number of Bruins fans have posted on various Habs' sites expressing great respect for the heart and character of our team. That shows some class. They're not ALL crass turds like Ference. A series like this really should end with a deep mutual respect underneath all the surface animosity. Notwithstanding Bruins' disgusting cheap shots on Spacek and Halpern, these two teams brought the best out of each other, and that's what sport is about.

2. A number of commentators - most prominently Boone - have expressed the view that the Bruins are crap. I can't accept that, partly because it suggests that the Habs are even worse, but also because I think it's an injustice to what is in fact an all-around strong hockey club. They really miss Marc Savard, but still, they are a team with good depth, effective team D, physical toughness, big, scoring forwards - a very fine opponent who showed real mental resiliency in this series (they could easily have wilted when confronted with the Habs' never-say-die ferocity). I agree that Philly has a more impressive roster, but goaltending counts. Myself, I believe that Washington will destroy all comers regardless. But credit where due. We got beat by a genuinely good team.

I'm not so sure that our future is way brighter than theirs, either. Bergeron, Kreiji, Lucic, Marchand, Horton, Rask, and let's not forget Seguin, are all under 25 and likely to get better. (Thank God they wasted their extra first-round pick on Kaberle, who did not impress me this round.) We could be looking at another 7-8 years of chasing each other as powers in the east.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Two things I'm surprised about:

1. A number of Bruins fans have posted on various Habs' sites expressing great respect for the heart and character of our team. That shows some class. They're not ALL crass turds like Ference. A series like this really should end with a deep mutual respect underneath all the surface animosity. Notwithstanding Bruins' disgusting cheap shots on Spacek and Halpern, these two teams brought the best out of each other, and that's what sport is about.

2. A number of commentators - most prominently Boone - have expressed the view that the Bruins are crap. I can't accept that, partly because it suggests that the Habs are even worse, but also because I think it's an injustice to what is in fact an all-around strong hockey club. They really miss Marc Savard, but still, they are a team with good depth, effective team D, physical toughness, big, scoring forwards - a very fine opponent who showed real mental resiliency in this series (they could easily have wilted when confronted with the Habs' never-say-die ferocity). I agree that Philly has a more impressive roster, but goaltending counts. Myself, I believe that Washington will destroy all comers regardless. But credit where due. We got beat by a genuinely good team.

I'm not so sure that our future is way brighter than theirs, either. Bergeron, Kreiji, Lucic, Marchand, Horton, Rask, and let's not forget Seguin, are all under 25 and likely to get better. (Thank God they wasted their extra first-round pick on Kaberle, who did not impress me this round.) We could be looking at another 7-8 years of chasing each other as powers in the east.

No doubt Boston is a good team, to say otherwise would be ignoring basic facts. I do think they are in for a tough time with Philly though.

Philadelphia goaltending aside, the Flyers easily match them in the physical game and Thomas has proven he is not a brick wall.

If the Boston PP continues to struggle they will probably find themselves in a very deep hole.

And....I just want to see Boston lose in round 2.

I posted in another thread that I thought Montreal had a better oppurtunity for growth.

That statement is obvious homer-ism on my part and I'm happy to accept any counter points to the contrary.

But when I take a look at Price, Subban, Eller, Pacioretty, Desharnais et al, I'm quite impressed and looking forward to next year.

If Boston and Montreal spend another 7-8 years chasing each other, great - I wouldn't have it any other way.

First, let me start this by saying that in my opinion, the Ference-Halpern incident was at worst a 2 minute interference penalty. I don't think a disciplinary hearing was in order but since it was, let's look at the wording of the decision. In particular:

"As there was no apparent injury on the play, I have concluded that this incident does not warrant discipline."

Oh, so now injuries or lack thereof play a role into supplementary discipline decisions? Guess I missed the memo on that one. Again, I don't think this was suspension worthy but even so, after all the talk of how Pacioretty's injury couldn't come into play with regards to determining a suspension for Chara, it's a little too overtly two-faced for my liking.

http://www.nhl.com/i...s.htm?id=561340