Next season for the Habs

BrenDittero

Fair enough. As you point out, I did moderate my original assertion somewhat; and in the end I waver on this. The problem is, by not having guys like this, you're basically conceding 1-2 injuries to the opposition in any given playoff run as a result of deliberate injuries. That's why it may not be as simple as saying 'we're above all that.' But I hear where you're coming from and 'sort of' agree.

After the big deal Gauthier and Molson made out of the Pacioretty injury, they would be huge hypocrites to hire Cooke.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I hear you Cukes...

It just seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face if we had to sign these kinds of players, rather than skilled professionals on our team//

sort of akin to killing your drunken abusive dad to save your mom and sister.... does anyone really win in the end?

I agree with you. However, we should note that Tampa and Boston are also teams with considerable young talent, not to mention Crosby-Malkin and a Washington team that may be good for years. We have a 'Cup window' opening but that is not even remotely close to a guarantee of even making the semi-finals. (I feel the need to sound notes of caution on this front, because the last two times I bought into this sort of narrative - 1996 and 2008 - all we got was ashes). Optimism is appropriate, but we'll still need a great deal to go right.

As for Gomez: I haven't read a single defence of him over the last few months and I've been as vocal as anyone in condemning his crapulence. But Wamsley, what would you do? Would you bury him in the minors or deal him this summer? If so, what do you do for a 2nd-line C? Try a platoon approach with Eller, Desharnais, and maybe a Halpern-type? Go out and sign an Arnott as a stop-gap? Just asking, because it's time we move beyond the 'dump Gomez' argument, which is convincing, but will only be truly realistic if we have some clue about how to fill his roster spot.

No team has an exclusive Cup window. This is not the 1980's. The point of the cap is parity and unfortunately it cripples the ability to stockpile young assets for the long term.

So you make your choices and if you make the right ones and build around the right core you can have an extended run like the Wings have. While making that run though you must continue to stockpile assets and re-invigorate the core as the old one ages.

This is the first young core that has legitimate Stanley Cup hopes moving forward since the late 80s. I am not going to stress about what other teams have because WE don't know what we have here yet. If I talked to you in 2004-2006 and asked who had a better future with the Canadiens, Chris Higgins, Andrei Kostitsyn or Tomas Plekanec? How many people would have answered Pleks? Remember, Gainey almost included him in the Kovalev trade because at that point Josef Balej was considered better than Pleks.

What I do know is that they have a core of young players who have proved they are NHL players. Will DD mature into St. Louis or is he a just going to be an inconsistent 3rd line center? These questions are everywhere on this team and with a plethora of high draft choices like Kristo, Tinordi and Leblanc sitting on the farm who knows how deep their depth really is. We all liked Subban two seasons ago, but did any of us think he would have this type of impact at 21 years old?

I am guilty of homerism just like anybody here but I have not had a position player on the Habs like Subban excite me like this in 20+ years. What is his ceiling? Add in Carey Price who is the best goaltending prospect I have ever seen (based on technical ability) and anybody who cannot get excited right now is a total pessimist who fears the worst.

As for Gomez, I can't really provide much insight because I don't really know his value on the market. What I would do is make him available and see where that takes me. If somebody bites, there is always the possibility to add a veteran like Arnott at the trade deadline if Eller, DD, Plekanec can't hold the fort.

There is no waiting for the core to mature anymore. You have to be aggressive in identifying who it is and build around it. The luxury of having until they are 30 years old to make up your mind no longer exists. There is an opportunity to take the next step and the Habs need to be aggressive about it. Gauthier did it with Price and I expect he understands what needs to be done.

I get the sense that you just like to argue with me.

All I said is that Eller is not a star yet. You seem to agree as you refer to him as a support guy. I never said dump him.

My point is that he is not the answer for replacing Gomez or AK next year. We need to look outside if we can to bring in guys who are ready to be top line players. Eller can keep on developing on the Habs just fine.

Nobody is suggesting a 1A backup, but Auld is barely an NHL goaltender. Playing excuses are not legit, he had the easiest workload possible with the Leafs/Isles/Panters etc. The only playoff team he faced won 1 playoff game. .914 SV% is not impressive when you are playing teams that probably have an expected save percentage of about .915. They need a guy who can bridge a gap should Price get injured, I am not convinced that Auld could do that for even 5-6 games like a guy like Enroth did for the Sabres.

As for Eller, he doesn't need to be a star, teams don't have 3-4 stars today, if they do they become top heavy and capped out with little depth. The Habs are in a good position because they have two stars locked in for next season at about $4M and legit support players like Eller, Pacioretty, Desharnais, White and Weber who will get better and outperform their contracts over the next 2-3 seasons. Hockey is about elite players and depth. The Hawks won last season because they had Kane, Toews and Keith, but they also relied heavily on Byfuglien, Ladd, Bolland etc.

The albatross for this team is Gomez. Not in the sense in which they can provide this type of season again, but in the sense that he eats up the advantage gained by PK and Price's cheap cap hits. If you tell the league you have Gomez/Price and Subban locked up for $11M combined they say not bad, but when the majority of that is wrapped up in the worst of the 3 it becomes a problem. Gomez becomes the thing keeping this team from becoming a Cup contender. Right now he is eating the Superstar savings in 3rd line production. The Habs can maintain what they are right now with him, but if they actually had a $7M player's production this team is among the top 5-6 in the league.

As always fans are looking at this team from the perspective of today.

This is what happened in the shortsighted prism of October 2010. Is Price better than Halak? Is Subban ready for the NHL? Is Pacioretty a bust? Is Desharnais too small? etc. etc.

What if Eller makes the Pacioretty leap in 2011-12? What if DD is the player we saw in Game 6? What if Weber morphs into Mark Streit 2.0?

The positives outweigh the negatives moving forward and if Gauthier pulls the right strings this team will have a nice Cup window in the next 2-3 years.

Well, I wasn't asking for a goon. I was asking for a Matt Cooke type: the dirty bastard who can take a regular shift and occasionally take someone's head off. However, on reflection this may have been sour grapes...I just waver on this question. On the one hand, I'm tired of other teams (specifically but not exclusively Boston) doing it and getting away with it. We were just lucky that Spacek and Halpern weren't more seriously damaged, and Chara's attempted murder arguably made a difference in this series. And this leads to the logical conclusion that WE need to be doing it, too. They take out Patches? Fine, Cook/Torres/whoever takes out Bergeron. If we'd done that, we'd quite possibly be the team heading off to the second round. Injuring the opponent works because the NHL wants it to work. Beyond that, we had a lot of success with guys like Corson, Ludwig and Chelios in the late '80s. The Habs team of my youth was just as likely to be the aggressor as the victim.

On the other hand, there's the case that the Habs have stood and continue to stand for something better than that, just as we stood for something better than goonery in the 1970s (see toward the end): http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/2011/04/aftermath-over.html

I'll settle for adding a bit of physical robustness, I suppose. A Hartnell type would be great. I know that Gauthier wants to add size; whether he can manage to add quality size is another question.

I've loved the way Tootoo has played in Nashville, a player like that would be great.

Next season, I've love for a slight change in the habs gameplan. They have speed and I'd love it if they forechecked more, we all saw how successful it was when they made the Bruins D nervous, they coughed up the puck, heck we see what happens when the habs D gets forechecked. Now, I'm not saying this year the team could have done this, maybe JM looked at his aging D riddled by injuries and thought, he couldn't do that to them. I'm hoping this is the case anyway. With a more mobile D we could actually pressure the opponents and not have to hang onto dear life everything the other team comes down on the teams goal.

I am no expert, so what I propose might not even be successful, I just know that I feel like the habs play better when they are aggressive than when they are passive, they will give up more goals, BUT if you score more then are ahead of the game (and third period 1 goal leads will not cause me to have mild strokes haha).

I get the sense that you just like to argue with me.

All I said is that Eller is not a star yet. You seem to agree as you refer to him as a support guy. I never said dump him.

My point is that he is not the answer for replacing Gomez or AK next year. We need to look outside if we can to bring in guys who are ready to be top line players. Eller can keep on developing on the Habs just fine.

Yeah, I have targeted you specifically. :rolleyes:

I bring up points for things I disagree with. I don't agree with the majority of what you say, c'est la vie.

All I said is that fan perception is a far cry from reality and used this fan base's beliefs from just 10 months ago to show how wrong most of us were. Your statement on Eller was one of the things I chose to use to show how unimportant it can be to project with limited information. I further emphasized this with Plekanec in a later post.

My point is not about assessing individual talent and how it can make the habs better, it is on the dearth of talent in the system and how the Habs need to take advantage of it NOW.

Edited by Wamsley01

It would be nice to add a legit physical presence who can play 3rd line minutes, does not have be a complete goon 30 seconds of ice guy, so one who won't let clowns like Thornton take runs at the likes of cammy and plecs.

Next year they will be far tougher as a team, I expect PK to only add muscle and strength, give him two more years to fill out and he neutralizes lucic in the physical department, a scott stevens type, doesn't have to fight very often simply because no one wants to tangle with him, the few times he does will just reconfirm the reason not to play like a clown when he's in the line-up. IMHO, he a future Norris trophy winner, baffles me how he did not at least get nominated for ROY, his minutes alone warrant a nomination. I commented on Saturday night to two lifetime Habs fans Ryan White is a poor mans Mike Keane, for those that remember, Keane was as tough pound for pound as there was that played the game, give White two more seasons and you have your shutdown, grinder, hate to play against (yet 100% clean) 3rd liner who can play the pk, last 60 seconds of game, big game contributor, the type of guy who plays better when the game get more intense.

disagree if you want, but this series proves you have to have some size to win in the playoffs, the Bruins D have to be the healthiest of any team in the playoffs, never before have I seen so many glide by's Boston was well aware of who would hit, attempt to hit and how was just going for a skate, made it far to easy for them to carry/move the puck, any type of physical pressure or at minimum the illusion there would be a hit coming if they held the puck or tried to make a play would have be the difference between winning and losing. The Boston D is awful with the puck on their sticks with pressure, but there was just not enough size or willingness to do anything.

They will be better next season, keep an eye on the Bulldogs playoff run, should be a few down there that push for a roster spot.

They will be better next season, keep an eye on the Bulldogs playoff run, should be a few down there that push for a roster spot.

There are a couple but those players won't help in the grit department. Palushaj we're all familiar with now, he's lighting it up again but is undersized even when compared to the current roster. Engqvist brings the size element but isn't a particularly gritty player. I've been paying close attention to Andrew Conboy during the radio broadcasts as that's the type of the player the Habs could use (gritty with a little bit of talent) but he simply has not played well in the playoffs. A new round brings new hope though.

There are a couple but those players won't help in the grit department. Palushaj we're all familiar with now, he's lighting it up again but is undersized even when compared to the current roster. Engqvist brings the size element but isn't a particularly gritty player. I've been paying close attention to Andrew Conboy during the radio broadcasts as that's the type of the player the Habs could use (gritty with a little bit of talent) but he simply has not played well in the playoffs. A new round brings new hope though.

What about Dawes?

What about Dawes?

I don't think he's anything more than a depth callup player at this point in time. Too good for the minors, not good enough for the NHL (to be a top-6 forward), almost like the baseball players that are termed as 'AAAA' guys. He's certainly playing well right now but I don't think he's part of the Habs' future.

There aren't many players within the organization that can step up right now to help the team out. Yemelin and Ramo are about it. Maybe Carle can stick as a 7th or 8th d-man. Guys like Engqvist, Palushaj, and Nash could be options at some point next season, but not out of the gate. Leblanc needs some Hamilton time, hopefully Avstyn will get more next year as well.

If we trade Pouliot, hopefully we get a decent asset in return, but I won't hold my breath on that. Gomez will probably still be in Montreal for one more year at least.

There really aren't a lot of bums on this roster signed through next year, and the cap is set to jump a decent amount. We should be able to keep whoever we want to. And maybe have enough left over to add a piece from outside.

One thing I'll add is I would like to see us add at least one physically dangerous player to our roster - a Ference/Torres/Cooke type who can be relied upon to injure opposing players. It is clear that the NHL has no interest in protecting players, and we cannot be the only team to meekly accept being on the losing end of cheap-shots all season/playoff long. It's not that I think these type of guys have much of a deterrent effect; it's that we might have won the series had, say, someone put out a Bruin in the way that Chara put out Pacioretty. In short, we are at a competitive disadvantage because we do not have a player or two of this type, as we can rely on the opposition to deliberately try to injure us.

A liitle tongue in cheek I suspect, but I have thought that maybe we have that guy. I don't know how he has been playing, but Alexei Yemelin could be a guy to keep the oponent edgey and a little nervous. I can't see him coming over, as he will not take a two way contract and would probably bounce right back across the pond the second there is a set back.

Next season, I've love for a slight change in the habs gameplan. They have speed and I'd love it if they forechecked more, we all saw how successful it was when they made the Bruins D nervous, they coughed up the puck, heck we see what happens when the habs D gets forechecked. Now, I'm not saying this year the team could have done this, maybe JM looked at his aging D riddled by injuries and thought, he couldn't do that to them. I'm hoping this is the case anyway. With a more mobile D we could actually pressure the opponents and not have to hang onto dear life everything the other team comes down on the teams goal.

I am no expert, so what I propose might not even be successful, I just know that I feel like the habs play better when they are aggressive than when they are passive, they will give up more goals, BUT if you score more then are ahead of the game (and third period 1 goal leads will not cause me to have mild strokes haha).

I really believe that this is why the Habs haven't had success playing with a hard forecheck. Defensive mobility is a huge issue for this team. More important than the need for a power forward, is the need for defensemen that can get back quickly. I hope this improves, but you have to think that Spacek and one of Hammer or Gill will be back next year. Wiz and Gorges are not all that fast either. I don't see a huge change in game plan next year. Bieksa and Wiz are both due for a raise next year. Both will be UFA. It seems that Americans don't hate Quebec, like a lot of Canadians do, so I would bet that Wiz has a better chance of signing here than Bieksa.

As far as next year's signings are concerned, we need to consider one thing. We are all used to Gillette style, caution to the wind spending and always pushing the cap ceiling. Molson just spent a fortune on this club. Who's to say he will not want to stay below the cap significantly. I don't think it will happen, but oyu never know.

Edited by BCHabnut

I really believe that this is why the Habs haven't had success playing with a hard forecheck. Defensive mobility is a huge issue for this team. More important than the need for a power forward, is the need for defensemen that can get back quickly. I hope this improves, but you have to think that Spacek and one of Hammer or Gill will be back next year. Wiz and Gorges are not all that fast either. I don't see a huge change in game plan next year. Bieksa and Wiz are both due for a raise next year. Both will be UFA. It seems that Americans don't hate Quebec, like a lot of Canadians do, so I would bet that Wiz has a better chance of signing here than Bieksa.

As far as next year's signings are concerned, we need to consider one thing. We are all used to Gillette style, caution to the wind spending and always pushing the cap ceiling. Molson just spent a fortune on this club. Who's to say he will not want to stay below the cap significantly. I don't think it will happen, but oyu never know.

I suspect we'll find out in the first week of October that this statement is almost exactly right. I wouldn't be surprised to see management play the offseason conservatively wondering what IF Markov, Georges and Pacioretty had all been in the lineup.

There will surely be a couple additions / subtractions for the Habs but why make significant alterations when you don't have a clear idea of what a healthy current roster could do?

It's a gamble as anyone could be injured at anytime, but that's the case with any team.

Another thing I'm very curious about is what Muller will do. Personally, I don't have any idea how different the Habs would be without him if he did get a coaching gig elsewhere. Thoughts?

I suspect he brings a lot to the table.

How 'bout Vinnie?.....just kiddin'....

Good discussion guys...but its all so ruthless....

We like to see 'loyalty' to le flanel, but it sure is a bit of a one way street...

Everybody likes a winner. :youpi::youpi:

I'm sure Muller is quite a good coach, but I'm not too worried if he is let go. I'm confident in our organization's ability to attract quality coaches. They'll look for a guy who will have the respect of the players.

Our system is pretty well established by now. I expect the powerplay will have some adjustments, made to cater more to Subban's vast talent. The penalty killing has all been established. I'm not worried about that being lost with Muller gone.

We can improve in some areas. Faceoffs is a definite need. Unfortunately, Halpern's health held us back a lot. I think we'll look for a different guy on the open market as a result.

This year has made me wonder how much longer Gomez can play centre. We'll see. I don't see them moving him around just yet, but it's a possibility if Eller continues to improve and Desharnais establishes himself in that role, too.

I'm sure Muller is quite a good coach, but I'm not too worried if he is let go. I'm confident in our organization's ability to attract quality coaches. They'll look for a guy who will have the respect of the players.

Our system is pretty well established by now. I expect the powerplay will have some adjustments, made to cater more to Subban's vast talent. The penalty killing has all been established. I'm not worried about that being lost with Muller gone.

We can improve in some areas. Faceoffs is a definite need. Unfortunately, Halpern's health held us back a lot. I think we'll look for a different guy on the open market as a result.

This year has made me wonder how much longer Gomez can play centre. We'll see. I don't see them moving him around just yet, but it's a possibility if Eller continues to improve and Desharnais establishes himself in that role, too.

I love Kirk Muller. To me he will always be the guy who scored the Cup winning goal in 1993 and played the entire playoffs with a broken collarbone, but it doesn't mean I have to overlook his failures and use his successes to confirm his greatness.

The Canadiens have won three playoff series since Muller became assistant. The Canadiens have lost four series since he became an assistant and missed the playoffs once.

Martin has won two playoff series and lost two playoff series.

Why is Muller viewed as the lynchpin of success? Why didn't he figure out a way to defeat the Maple Leafs on the last night of the 2007 regular season or stem the tide of the second half collapse? Why didn't he figure out a way to defeat the Flyers in 2008? Why didn't he game plan a way to defeat the Bruins in 2009? Why are these negatives associated with Carbonneau, Huet, Gainey and the gutless 2009 squad and Muller becomes teflon? Why are all the past struggles ignored and he is given credit for the game plan that stymied the Caps and Pens, while Martin's role is minimized?

It is confirmation bias at it's finest. I would love him to stay just because of my emotional attachment to him, but it ends there.

Edited by Wamsley01

Just a thought on Gomez.....

Last year, Price laid an egg. He has one good season, then an okay one, then struggled. He had a dismal playoff record. The team held on to him, gave him a vote of confidence and he rewarded them with a stellar season.

Gomez has fallen on his sword and stated he wants to stay and make it right. I know the sentiment is to dump him, but what if they support him and he rebounds to a stellar season for us? He has a lot more "positive history" then Price had at the time. Everyone has slumps in their careers, but it is very possible that Gomez is sufficiently embarrassed by this years performance to go on a tear next year. Its an ego thing.

While I doubt he will ever be worth his salary, if he can be a 70 point guy next year (with a better plus minus), then we would be wise to keep him.

This is going to be a tough call for PG and will probably be made based on inside discussions none of us with be privy to. It will be interesting to see which way this one goes.

I think Muller if looked upon well for two key reasons.

1. He is clearly the vocal guy on the bench, pushing the guys and trying to get them going. JM is a strategist more then a motivator.

2. He has had much to do with our special teams, which is one area the habs have done well in during his tenure.

I think Muller complements JM very well. I am not convinced we do as well with either one of them alone. I don't want to lose Muller, but I am not ready to dump JM just to keep him.

I love Kirk Muller. To me he will always be the guy who scored the Cup winning goal in 1993 and played the entire playoffs with a broken collarbone, but it doesn't mean I have to overlook his failures and use his successes to confirm his greatness.

The Canadiens have won three playoff series since Muller became assistant. The Canadiens have lost four series since he became an assistant and missed the playoffs once.

Martin has won two playoff series and lost two playoff series.

Why is Muller viewed as the lynchpin of success? Why didn't he figure out a way to defeat the Maple Leafs on the last night of the 2007 regular season or stem the tide of the second half collapse? Why didn't he figure out a way to defeat the Flyers in 2008? Why didn't he game plan a way to defeat the Bruins in 2009? Why are these negatives associated with Carbonneau, Huet, Gainey and the gutless 2009 squad and Muller becomes teflon? Why are all the past struggles ignored and he is given credit for the game plan that stymied the Caps and Pens, while Martin's role is minimized?

It is confirmation bias at it's finest. I would love him to stay just because of my emotional attachment to him, but it ends there.

I believe the perception around Muller was created by media reports last spring, identifying him as a huge factor in the playoff run. How well-founded those reports are is another question. It's also received wisdom that he is much-loved by the players. However, the idea that the sky will fall without him does seem pretty implausible. The Habs are a very solid organization with good management, a highly respected head coach (except among fans) and a bright future. They will be attractive to top candidates. And I trust the wily Martin and the intelligent Gauthier to make a strong choice.

As for Gomez: the analogy with Price fails, because Price was a kid figuring things out, while Gomez is a veteran. The only consolation is that if you look at Gomez's history, he has hit peaks and valleys before. He went from 70 and 63 points in his first two seasons to 48 and 55; then he spiked up to 70 and 84; then he settled in at between 60-70 points per season for four years. There is, therefore, some precedent to him pulling his game out of the doldums and coming back strong after awful seasons.

So what do we do? Well, he may be unmoveable, in which case we make a virtue of necessity and give him 'one more chance.' (The Habs seem to take a gentlemanly approach to their players, and Gomez is clearly good for team chemistry, so this may be the organization's preferred option in any case). He may in fact be moveable, but we might choose to keep him anyway for lack of any better option at the 2nd line C position. (Remember, you don't want to sign anyone to a contract of more than 1-2 years, given the likelihood of Eller's emergence in that window; so it would take a very specific player profile to replace Gomer). Or maybe Gauthier will move boldly and dump or deal Gomer with no plan B ready to hand. This isn't his typical pattern, though - except when events/contracts force his hand, as with Halak. The smart money has Gomez returning in the fall.

I believe the perception around Muller was created by media reports last spring, identifying him as a huge factor in the playoff run. How well-founded those reports are is another question. It's also received wisdom that he is much-loved by the players. However, the idea that the sky will fall without him does seem pretty implausible. The Habs are a very solid organization with good management, a highly respected head coach (except among fans) and a bright future. They will be attractive to top candidates. And I trust the wily Martin and the intelligent Gauthier to make a strong choice.

As for Gomez: the analogy with Price fails, because Price was a kid figuring things out, while Gomez is a veteran. The only consolation is that if you look at Gomez's history, he has hit peaks and valleys before. He went from 70 and 63 points in his first two seasons to 48 and 55; then he spiked up to 70 and 84; then he settled in at between 60-70 points per season for four years. There is, therefore, some precedent to him pulling his game out of the doldums and coming back strong after awful seasons.

So what do we do? Well, he may be unmoveable, in which case we make a virtue of necessity and give him 'one more chance.' (The Habs seem to take a gentlemanly approach to their players, and Gomez is clearly good for team chemistry, so this may be the organization's preferred option in any case). He may in fact be moveable, but we might choose to keep him anyway for lack of any better option at the 2nd line C position. (Remember, you don't want to sign anyone to a contract of more than 1-2 years, given the likelihood of Eller's emergence in that window; so it would take a very specific player profile to replace Gomer). Or maybe Gauthier will move boldly and dump or deal Gomer with no plan B ready to hand. This isn't his typical pattern, though - except when events/contracts force his hand, as with Halak. The smart money has Gomez returning in the fall.

The media might have started it, but anybody who dislikes Martin would immediately cling to that as proof that they were right about Martin.

Martin has won 500+ games without Muller and played in a Game 7 in which one break for the Senators would have seen him playing the Ducks for a Stanley Cup without Muller. The Devils scored with a couple minutes left in Game 7 to eliminate the Sens.

The guy is a good coach. Last time I checked, nobody is claiming that Jacques Laperriere was responsible for the 1993 Cup because Demers had never won a Cup before 93 seeing as Laperriere was on the 1986 Cup Champion staff as well.

Edited by Wamsley01

Hammer either is gone or signs for 2 mill

Gill is gone or signs for 1.5 mill

ak46 is gone

pouliott is gone

halpern probably gone but i would keep him if he wants to stay

markov should stay but be signed to a 2.5 mill contract with 3 mill bouses

sopel likely gone unless he signs for cheap

mara will sign for cheap if we want him and I might keep him

wiz should be signed too much offensive talent no more than 2.5 mill

picard gone of no use to us

everybody else stays imo yeah gomez too

we will win the cup in the next 2 years if we play our cards right

Hammer either is gone or signs for 2 mill

Gill is gone or signs for 1.5 mill

ak46 is gone

pouliott is gone

halpern probably gone but i would keep him if he wants to stay

markov should stay but be signed to a 2.5 mill contract with 3 mill bouses

sopel likely gone unless he signs for cheap

mara will sign for cheap if we want him and I might keep him

wiz should be signed too much offensive talent no more than 2.5 mill

picard gone of no use to us

everybody else stays imo yeah gomez too

we will win the cup in the next 2 years if we play our cards right

I have to admit a few of these aren't realistic. Wisniewski made $3.6 million this year, there is no way he takes a pay cut let alone one over $1 million in a UFA year with a weak market. His new deal will start with at least a 4, while 5 wouldn't surprise me, think a Mark Streit contract and add some money to it. For Markov, I think a more realistic 1 year pact would be $4 million guaranteed with the rest as bonuses. Because of the weak UFA crop on defence, someone will be willing to pony up 5+ guaranteed, the 4/1.5 would constitute as far of a hometown discount as he (and his agent) would be willing to take. Hamrlik will take a pay cut but dropping to $2 million from 5.5 is asking too much from him. On a 1 year deal somewhere, he can still get 3+ though you might be able to get 2.75 since he wants to stay in Montreal.

Just a thought on Gomez.....

Last year, Price laid an egg. He has one good season, then an okay one, then struggled. He had a dismal playoff record. The team held on to him, gave him a vote of confidence and he rewarded them with a stellar season.

Gomez has fallen on his sword and stated he wants to stay and make it right. I know the sentiment is to dump him, but what if they support him and he rebounds to a stellar season for us? He has a lot more "positive history" then Price had at the time. Everyone has slumps in their careers, but it is very possible that Gomez is sufficiently embarrassed by this years performance to go on a tear next year. Its an ego thing.

While I doubt he will ever be worth his salary, if he can be a 70 point guy next year (with a better plus minus), then we would be wise to keep him.

This is going to be a tough call for PG and will probably be made based on inside discussions none of us with be privy to. It will be interesting to see which way this one goes.

I agree with this 100%...I say he get's Pacioretty and Gionta at training camp. They form the USA line, and stay together until christmas, at minimum. He's not going to be traded, and sending him down isn't going to happen either. If Gionta get's his usual 30 goals, and Pac get's the 30-35 he was on pace for. Maybe the 70 point season like you suggested becomes reality. We all know about his contract, but he's still a good player. Let's put him in a position to succeed. He's said all the right things at the post mortem media stuff. Maybe, just maybe he turns it around. He's more of a sure thing than say Lars Eller, who I have high hopes for, but is still unproven.