Gill - Subban

Bieksa-Weber

Gorges-Wisniewski

Spacek

I think we sign upshall or frolov

we trade Kostitsyn to Columbus for boll and a 2nd pick

we sign bieksa.

we sign MacIntyre.

I don't see how Frolov is an upgrade over AK46. Andrei has been much more consistent then Frolov and he plays a more physical game.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how Frolov is an upgrade over AK46. Andrei has been much more consistent then Frolov and he plays a more physical game.

I agree. I think you add someone to push Pacioretty and Kostitsyn into a battle for the top 6. Why replace either?

but his cheaper and well free up money for Kevin Bieksa and

James Wisniewski

I agree. I think you add someone to push Pacioretty and Kostitsyn into a battle for the top 6. Why replace either?

I'd have no issue of adding Frolov on a cheap contract. The original posting I replied to had Frolov/Harntell as a replacement for AK46.

but his cheaper and well free up money for Kevin Bieksa and

James Wisniewski

I really don't want to give up on Ak46 - i'd even be willing to give him a 3-4 year deal. IMO the guys we need to unload are Gomez and Spacek and the guys we absolutely shouldn't be resigning are Moen, Hamrlik, Halpern, Mara and Auld. I also don't want Gill back unless we do manage to get rid of Spacek.

I really don't want to give up on Ak46 - i'd even be willing to give him a 3-4 year deal. IMO the guys we need to unload are Gomez and Spacek and the guys we absolutely shouldn't be resigning are Moen, Hamrlik, Halpern, Mara and Auld. I also don't want Gill back unless we do manage to get rid of Spacek.

Moen doesn't need to be re-signed, he's under contract for next year already.

Moen doesn't need to be re-signed, he's under contract for next year already.

they gave him a 3 year deal??? Damn, i thought he was only signed to a 2 yr deal. Well, that adds another guy to my dump list.

they gave him a 3 year deal??? Damn, i thought he was only signed to a 2 yr deal. Well, that adds another guy to my dump list.

Why? He's our best bottom six forward and on our first PK wave. Yeah, he shouldn't be the guy that moves up to play with Gomez and Gionta because he lacks top speed and hands, but as far as bringing a physical element, strong defensive play, and a guy that can show the ropes to Ryan White we could do far worse. He also does this for about $750k less than the league average salary.

Why? He's our best bottom six forward and on our first PK wave. Yeah, he shouldn't be the guy that moves up to play with Gomez and Gionta because he lacks top speed and hands, but as far as bringing a physical element, strong defensive play, and a guy that can show the ropes to Ryan White we could do far worse. He also does this for about $750k less than the league average salary.

I thought that for a big guy he really doesn't bring a lot of physicality. There were a lot of nights where with less ice time (since Moen was on the top 2 lines), he had a lot less hits then Pouliot and Ak46. Being one of the bigger guys on the team, he needs to be more physical then he was and I definatley wouldn't want Ryan White to play like Moen did. After his last call-up Ryan White was hitting everything in site, Moen most nights was more of a pussycat then a tiger. Not what I'd want on from a guy who should be a 4th liner getting $1.5M.

Personally, I dont see any major changes coming, I think we will have virtually the same roster as the start of last season.

Bieska is NOT leaving Vancouver, we won't sign a big name forward because we won't be letting any of our top six go, plus we tend to be conservative in these situations. We would have been in the top 3 spots had Georges and Markov and various other players not been so injured. I know all teams say this, but honestly we all know how much better Montreal is when we have Markov on the ice.

I believe we have a crew we can make a great run with, especially with the emergence of Pac into what I expect to be a high scoring and incredibly important player for us next season.

Georges sounds determined as nothing else to get back and have a great season, Eller is young and will be improving over the next while also... I'm feeling a come back by Gomez he has seemed ashamed of his play this season, and Cammalerri will produce more if he stays healthy, the injuries really affected him.

Edited by bbp

Personally, I dont see any major changes coming, I think we will have virtually the same roster as the start of last season.

Bieska is NOT leaving Vancouver, we won't sign a big name forward because we won't be letting any of our top six go, plus we tend to be conservative in these situations. We would have been in the top 3 spots had Georges and Markov and various other players not been so injured. I know all teams say this, but honestly we all know how much better Montreal is when we have Markov on the ice.

I believe we have a crew we can make a great run with, especially with the emergence of Pac into what I expect to be a high scoring and incredibly important player for us next season.

Georges sounds determined as nothing else to get back and have a great season, Eller is young and will be improving over the next while also... I'm feeling a come back by Gomez he has seemed ashamed of his play this season, and Cammalerri will produce more if he stays healthy, the injuries really affected him.

No question that if everything goes right, we will contend. But to me that is not a winning recipe. Things will go wrong.

Look at Vancouver. They have 6 legitimate top-4 defencemen. THAT's Cup-worthy depth.

As for Bieksa, the Canucks are capped out, aren't they? They won't be able to afford his raise.

No question that if everything goes right, we will contend. But to me that is not a winning recipe. Things will go wrong.

Look at Vancouver. They have 6 legitimate top-4 defencemen. THAT's Cup-worthy depth.

As for Bieksa, the Canucks are capped out, aren't they? They won't be able to afford his raise.

I would just be surprised too see Montreal pick up a big name in any position, mainly because we havn't been able too before, Danny Briere anyone?

Youre right Bieska could go, but lets say a team like Toronto makes a move on him, they have the space, he and his wife are from southern Ontario, they still have a home there...

I would love to have him and would love to have improvements on the lineup too make it deeper, I agree that a lot would have to go right for us to contend, but I do not believe we will get anyone.

I hope I'm wrong though!

Here's to optimism!

Next season for the Habs...could Spacek hit re-entry waivers next season, and is it worthwhile?

1.916.667 cap hit to play elsewhere... Do you do it?

Spacek must have a hell of an agent to talk Bob into that contract, and yeah lets put him on waivers now (just kidding) we will see what happens once PG has all of the signings done.

Personally I really liked the Wiz pickup right from the begining and as time went on that only I liked him more and more, but I've always kinda known that all he will be is a great long term rental player.

I really cant see Wiz being resigned for several reasons. Resigning Wiz will cost the Habs a pick (5th?), and I bet NYI traded him for the next reason, I know the Ducks did for sure: Wiz wanted 4 mil/yr from the Ducks after 1 30pt yr that he was -5 in, the Ducks GM didnt even respond to his agent and it went to salary arbitration and then the 2 settled for what he made this year and then the Ducks GM shipped him the NYI and then they shipped him to Habs. After having a 50 pt yr he probably thinks he's worth close to 6 mil. The last reason is Wiz might be great offensively but his defense isnt that good. He's always a minus player. I wouldnt pay him big money. 4.5+, no thx, even at 4 not sure if I'd do it.

This wont be popular, but I think the same aboot Markov. He's great offensively, but he does have defensive lapses, and I'm still baffled by his injury in the playoffs last year by Cooke. A vet like Markov should have beeter situational/positional awareness on the ice. i.e. know when they are in a dangerous spot not to put themselves in a even more vulnerable position with the leagues #1 cheap shot artist right there. Markov seems to be injured way to often so I would only resign him if its cheap or a performance laden contract. Just think his reg 5.5mil salary could be spent on a large top 6 forward. At this point if available I would rather sign the right power F than bring Markov back.

Another great example of lack of positional awareness is Hammer rotating the wrong direction when Horton scored in OT. The vets should know better. Hammer did a 270 rotation so he could have his stick on his forehand, but he could have rotated 90 and had his stick on his backhand and been in time to stop Horton from scoring. I dont know if I would bring Hammer back, I guess if he resigns cheap I would.

I would bring Gill back no questions asked, hopefully for a bit cheaper though just because he is aging.

Personally I really liked the Wiz pickup right from the begining and as time went on that only I liked him more and more, but I've always kinda known that all he will be is a great long term rental player.

I really cant see Wiz being resigned for several reasons. Resigning Wiz will cost the Habs a pick (5th?), and I bet NYI traded him for the next reason, I know the Ducks did for sure: Wiz wanted 4 mil/yr from the Ducks after 1 30pt yr that he was -5 in, the Ducks GM didnt even respond to his agent and it went to salary arbitration and then the 2 settled for what he made this year and then the Ducks GM shipped him the NYI and then they shipped him to Habs. After having a 50 pt yr he probably thinks he's worth close to 6 mil. The last reason is Wiz might be great offensively but his defense isnt that good. He's always a minus player. I wouldnt pay him big money. 4.5+, no thx, even at 4 not sure if I'd do it.

This wont be popular, but I think the same aboot Markov. He's great offensively, but he does have defensive lapses, and I'm still baffled by his injury in the playoffs last year by Cooke. A vet like Markov should have beeter situational/positional awareness on the ice. i.e. know when they are in a dangerous spot not to put themselves in a even more vulnerable position with the leagues #1 cheap shot artist right there. Markov seems to be injured way to often so I would only resign him if its cheap or a performance laden contract. Just think his reg 5.5mil salary could be spent on a large top 6 forward. At this point if available I would rather sign the right power F than bring Markov back.

Another great example of lack of positional awareness is Hammer rotating the wrong direction when Horton scored in OT. The vets should know better. Hammer did a 270 rotation so he could have his stick on his forehand, but he could have rotated 90 and had his stick on his backhand and been in time to stop Horton from scoring. I dont know if I would bring Hammer back, I guess if he resigns cheap I would.

I would bring Gill back no questions asked, hopefully for a bit cheaper though just because he is aging.

I dont know why but I agree with this post totally, seems I've heard a lot of it somewhere. ^_^:habslogo:

As per H I/O

"Montreal Canadiens general manager Pierre Gauthier announced today the signing of free agent defenseman Raphael Diaz to a one-year, two-way contract (2011-12). As per club policy, financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

“We are very pleased to have reached an agreement with Raphael Diaz, who we strongly believe has all the attributes to play in the NHL. Raphael is a defenseman with excellent offensive and defensive skills, who constantly improved his play over the years. We look forward to seeing him at training camp,” said Canadiens General Manager Pierre Gauthier.

Diaz registered 39 points (12 goals, 27 assists) in 45 games with EV Zug in 2010-11. Diaz, 25, displayed a +14 plus/minus differential and served 26 penalty minutes.

In eight complete seasons with EV Zug, the 5’11’’, 194 lbs defenseman totaled 118 points (33 goals, 85 assists) with 212 penalty minutes in 352 games.

Diaz, who is part of the Swiss team at the 2011 World Championship in Slovakia, collected four points (3 goals, 1 assist) in six games. He maintained a +3 plus/minus differential, while playing 20:52 in average per game.

A native of Baar, Switzerland, Diaz played for EV Zug (junior) from 2001-02 to 2003-04. He was part of the Swiss team at the 2005 and 2006 World Junior Championships, and at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics."

Actually, the Habs already lost the pick. The conditions were that if he played half the playoff games (provided the Habs made the playoffs), they'd lose the pick. There were a few other contingency conditions if the Habs traded the pick too, it was a little over the top considering it was a 5th round pick they were fighting over.

:habslogo: Goal: Price & Auld

Defense: Subban/Robin Rehgr - Markov/Gorges - Yemelin/Gill (Picard & Diaz)

Forwards: Cammalleri/Plekanec/Brooks Laich - Pacioretty/Gomez/Gionta- Curtis Glencross/Eller/Kostistyn - White/Enqqvist/Moen (Cody McCormick as extra forward to play instead of Enqqvist against rougher teams)

Acquire Rehgr & Ryley Grantham (Big body for Hamilton & hopefully big club in a couple years) Offer Weber, Desharnais & Pouliot to Calgary only if we can negoiate a new contract with Rehgr before the trade. Sign him to at least 3 yrs for 4 or 4.5 tops per year. Then sign Brooks Laich to a 5 yr deal for around 15 mill & Curtis Glencross to a 3yr deal for around 6 to 7 mill & sign Cody MCormick to a 2 yr deal for around 1.5 mill.

I think other then a couple of forwards with size we need a top pairing D-man to play with P.K as we shouldn't put Markov in that role after all his injuries. I would also only re-sign Markov

to 1 yr deal to find out if he can stay healthy & then tell him we'll sign him to a multi year deal. also only sign him for around 2.5 mill with bonuses for staying healthy & putting up some

offence toppong him to 4 mill max. This would also mean trading Spacek for whatever we can get may have to throw in Pyatt for some one to take him if not Pyatt is another option as the

extra forward but I like signing McCormick for some toughness & he can play a regular shift.

:habslogo: Goal: Price & Auld

Defense: Subban/Robin Rehgr - Markov/Gorges - Yemelin/Gill (Picard & Diaz)

Forwards: Cammalleri/Plekanec/Brooks Laich - Pacioretty/Gomez/Gionta- Curtis Glencross/Eller/Kostistyn - White/Enqqvist/Moen (Cody McCormick as extra forward to play instead of Enqqvist against rougher teams)

Acquire Rehgr & Ryley Grantham (Big body for Hamilton & hopefully big club in a couple years) Offer Weber, Desharnais & Pouliot to Calgary only if we can negoiate a new contract with Rehgr before the trade. Sign him to at least 3 yrs for 4 or 4.5 tops per year. Then sign Brooks Laich to a 5 yr deal for around 15 mill & Curtis Glencross to a 3yr deal for around 6

to 7 mill & sign Cody MCormick to a 2 yr deal for around 1.5 mill.

NO

I think other then a couple of forwards with size we need a top pairing D-man to play with P.K as we shouldn't put Markov in that role after all his injuries. I would also only re-sign Markov

to 1 yr deal to find out if he can stay healthy & then tell him we'll sign him to a multi year deal. also only sign him for around 2.5 mill with bonuses for staying healthy & putting up some

offence toppong him to 4 mill max. This would also mean trading Spacek for whatever we can get may have to throw in Pyatt for some one to take him if not Pyatt is another option as the

extra forward but I like signing McCormick for some toughness & he can play a regular shift.

NO

Acquire Rehgr & Ryley Grantham (Big body for Hamilton & hopefully big club in a couple years) Offer Weber, Desharnais & Pouliot to Calgary only if we can negoiate a new contract with Rehgr before the trade. Sign him to at least 3 yrs for 4 or 4.5 tops per year. Then sign Brooks Laich to a 5 yr deal for around 15 mill & Curtis Glencross to a 3yr deal for around 6 to 7 mill & sign Cody MCormick to a 2 yr deal for around 1.5 mill.

I would also only re-sign Markov

If that's all it would take to acquire Regehr, they'd have made the deal ages ago. Pouliot has virtually no value now as all signs point to him being outright released next month while Weber and Desharnais aren't going to be anywhere close enough to get Regehr. As for Grantham, I can't see how anyone would want him, he couldn't even average a half a point per game in the ECHL this year.

With regards to Markov, if he was willing to take only $2.5 guaranteed, he'd have been signed by now. Whatever deal he gets will likely involve a cap hit starting with a 5. He knows someone will give it to him, even if it's not the Habs and with Meehan as an agent, there won't be much of a hometown discount.

• 4 weeks later...

With the possibility of adding another top 6 forward, a few prospects knocking on the NHL door, and so few roster spots available, is there any chance Darche does not get signed?

Most have already assumed Halpern isn't coming back, but most usually assume Darche will.

But is there really a spot for him if we add another player?

I wouldn't resign him, but given how much Martin used him, he'll probably be back.

I wouldn't resign him, but given how much Martin used him, he'll probably be back.

If we add another quality forward, then Darche *probably* becomes the odd man out. Although at least he seizes his opportunities and brings it every night. Unlike some I could mention (cough...POULIOT). Personally I'd rather take our chances with our current forward rotation and sign both Wiz and Markov, but even that may be peeing in the wind. I look at Vancouver's cap management - both lucky and good - and sigh with envy.