Bruins playoff run 2011

YeahBud

So after passing thru the 5 stages of grief over the past couple weeks I have reached inner peace about our season and post season.

Don't get me wrong I hate the Bruins with a passion but now a little part of me wants them to go all the way...

Does Bruins playoff success make our team look better for putting up a valiant effort and coming oh so close?

or simply rub salt on the wounds?

does anyones inner budda want to see them go to the big dance?

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So after passing thru the 5 stages of grief over the past couple weeks I have reached inner peace about our season and post season.

Don't get me wrong I hate the Bruins with a passion but now a little part of me wants them to go all the way...

Does Bruins playoff success make our team look better for putting up a valiant effort and coming oh so close?

I'd rather see them lose to San Jose. Big Joe comes back to haunt!

Their playoff success? They are up 2-0 on the road just like the Habs were in the previous round playing the team who came back from 3-0 against them last season.

Last time I checked, that is two wins out of four and six of the required 16.

Their playoff success? They are up 2-0 on the road just like the Habs were in the previous round playing the team who came back from 3-0 against them last season.

Last time I checked, that is two wins out of four and six of the required 16.

Right... so you're hoping the Flyers win ?

Edited by YeahBud

Whether or not the Bs when the Cup is irrelevant to me. I can't stand the Bruins (they are my number 1 despised team in the NHL, always have been). Then again, Boston is my least favourite sports city, can't stand any of the Boston based teams. Hopefully, they'll lose to the Flyers. If not, hopefully they lose to the Lightning/Caps. If not...

I laugh at McQuaig's attempted elbow at Richards. That was pretty comical.

I'm not a Bruins fan but the last 2 games against Philly have been great to watch.

At this point, with Montreal out, I appreciate that there is a series going on that's compelling enough to make me want to tune in. ( outside of the Cup final )

I don't think it's rubbing salt in the wound or making MTL look any better than they did. I think the PHL / BOS series is the inevitable outcome of the Bruins getting some good breaks against Montreal..

That being said, I'd like to see Philly take the series.

Picking between Philly and Boston is like choosing between Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine.

However, I *do* think that if it turns out that we lost in Game 7 OT to the eventual Cup champs, it makes our team look good in retrospect. Because I get irrationally frustrated with what I see as the media's dismissive attitude of a team I regard as pretty good, I see that as a nice outcome in those terms. Plus, at the end of the day, I don't really hate Boston. They've been a worthy opponent over the years, they're Original Six - a real hockey franchise/city, not like Tampa Bay - and they're due. I wouldn't begrudge it to them THAT much.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Whoever makes it out of the West is clearly the favourite. Boston could win the East, and yes, could win it all, but I think it's still a bit of a longshot.

I really don't care that much who wins out of Boston/Philly, but I would like to see Washington or Tampa win the east. I would like to see this as it would be a confidence boost for free flowing attacking teams. If Boston or Philly win then I worry that a big team full of goons becomes the model franchise for the east for the next few years.

What goon hockey are you referring to?

They have 0 fights in 9 playoff games.

The issue with the Bruins is cheap shots and deliberate attempts to injure: c.f. Chara on Patches, Lucic on Spacek, and whathisname on Halpern. Their recipe is to be a good team that gives itself an extra advantage by taking out key opponents, all unpunished by the NHL. Philly's the same way. Doesn't matter, though, because as we all know diving and yapping are FAR more terrible sins than ending careers and crippling people.

Chara's hit wasn't dirty, it happens numerous times during the year, it's just the result habs fans didn't like. Lucic got a 5 and a major. That's the rule and other player do that all the time.

You obviously didn't watch the habs in there hay day with players like Nilan, Claude Lemieux and others.

Yeah, the Habs used to be incredibly dirty. Chelios on Propp was way worse than Chara on Pacioretty. It comes and goes, really.

The Bruins are physical because they have Chara and Lucic. They drafted Lucic for his physical play, that's for sure, but they signed Chara because he's all-world. You build teams based on the kind of players you can acquire. If the Habs had drafted Lucic I'm sure we'd try and acquire players to compliment him, too.

I think players match organaizations. Bruins and philly always dirty regardless of players, coaches, managers, or captains. Toronto always sucks and makes bad deals, habs always quick and talented. You can see this with all teams that have been around for a while.

Could be my Habs' bias, but I don't think the Bruins have the mental makeup to be Stanley Cup champs. If they make it past Philly, I feel that they'll likely make it to the finals only to lose against whatever Western team they face.

Could be my Habs' bias, but I don't think the Bruins have the mental makeup to be Stanley Cup champs. If they make it past Philly, I feel that they'll likely make it to the finals only to lose against whatever Western team they face.

Don't know about mental makeup, I just think 3 of the 4 Western teams are easily more talented than they are. I'd only favour Boston over Nashville in a best of 7, and even then it'd be tight.

Chara's hit wasn't dirty, it happens numerous times during the year, it's just the result habs fans didn't like. Lucic got a 5 and a major. That's the rule and other player do that all the time.

You obviously didn't watch the habs in there hay day with players like Nilan, Claude Lemieux and others.

You find me ONE play where a player rubs another player in to the stanchion with the puck "20 feet away" and I will buy your argument. If the puck was at Pacioretty's feet the majority of people on this board would have said it was an unfortunate accident. That is not the case, I don't care about his intent, it was dirty.

I did watch Claude Lemieux and his infamous plays took place on other teams. His career ended in Montreal because he was diving and making an ass of himself. Was he dirty with Montreal? I don't know, was Domi dirty with the Rangers? He has no resume stains from his Ranger career. Post Canadiens resume is unimportant.

Yeah, the Habs used to be incredibly dirty. Chelios on Propp was way worse than Chara on Pacioretty. It comes and goes, really.

It comes and goes? The Bruins have been this type of team for the better part of 40 years. So have the Flyers.

The "Big Bad Bruins". The "Broadstreet Bullies". These are IDENTITIES. They aren't passing phases.

Three players on the Habs have registered 200+ min since 1970. Nilan, Odelein and Brashear.

Nine players on the Bruins reached that mark. O'Reilly, Milbury, Jonathan, Blum, Markwart, Miller, Byers, Nilan, Nazarov.

TWENTY FIVE players on the Flyers reached that mark. Carcillo, Cote, Eager, Brashear, Kordic, Daniels, Antoski, McGill, Dineen, Berube, Carkner, Chycrun, Tocchet, Brown, Cochrane, Linseman, Holmgren, Wilson, Busniuk, Dupont, Bridgman, Schultz, McIlhargey, Kelly and Saleski

Sure the Chelios/Propp hit was dirty, but I can't think of another infamous Canadiens hit? Kostopolous? Maybe Odjick? Todd Ewen was a mad man, but he never did anything on the ice with the Habs that was anywhere as dirty as Chara or the infamous McSorley SlapChop. Nilan's greatest hits were in brawls with the Habs, there are no Dale Hunter, Dave Brown style assaults on his Montreal resume.

It doesn't come and go. That is an unfair representation for my lifetime anyway.

Wow Bruins looked great tonight! Chara going roof daddy twice with the heavy slap shot was amazing. Philly is in big trouble..

Boston v. Bolts for the conference final looks inevitable unless Philly stops hemorrhaging goals

Wow Bruins looked great tonight! Chara going roof daddy twice with the heavy slap shot was amazing. Philly is in big trouble..

Boston v. Bolts for the conference final looks inevitable unless Philly stops hemorrhaging goals

Philly is done. Although it's be amazing if they came back from 3-0 in back-to-back years, they just look outclassed at every turn this series. Go TB!