Bruins playoff run 2011

YeahBud

Some people may not like me sayin this, but I hope Horton IS not okay and IS out for the rest of the playoffs. It would be perfect karma for all the crap the bruins have been getting away with. When Chara ended MaxPac's season maxpac was the most dangerous hab at the time, so it's fitting the bruins lose their most dangerous player. I have never hated and despised a team more then I hate and despise this year's bruins.

I think Horton will probably be back, but if there is any justice he will be out for the entire Finals and franky I hope he is damaged goods like savard. Before this year I would never have wished that on any player, but the Bruins more then any othe team deserve to lose their top guys given their cheap shot tactics.

I'm not even watching the games but only checked the you tube hit on Kuklas about reading it hear and quite honestly I never thought seeing an injured player would bring me this level of satisfaction, if that makes me a bad person, I guess I am. Had the league dealt with the Maxpac hit, the bruins brawl tactics, campell pounding away at a player with his elbow pad,ference's finger- sorry equipment malfunction(like wiz's suspension) ference's taking out of halpern, Horton' water bottle incident with a fan- which was suspendable for other teams, I probably wouldn't feel this way. However when the law fails frontier justice, vigilante justice and karma all start to look pretty damn good.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate both teams, but i love the Rome hit. I just wish it was that Lucic gettin knocked out.

Horton pulled a Lindros and deserved to be sitting on his ass.

Stop admiring the pass.

Too funny.

Some people may not like me sayin this, but I hope Horton IS not okay and IS out for the rest of the playoffs. It would be perfect karma for all the crap the bruins have been getting away with. When Chara ended MaxPac's season maxpac was the most dangerous hab at the time, so it's fitting the bruins lose their most dangerous player. I have never hated and despised a team more then I hate and despise this year's bruins.

I think Horton will probably be back, but if there is any justice he will be out for the entire Finals and franky I hope he is damaged goods like savard. Before this year I would never have wished that on any player, but the Bruins more then any othe team deserve to lose their top guys given their cheap shot tactics.

I'm not even watching the games but only checked the you tube hit on Kuklas about reading it hear and quite honestly I never thought seeing an injured player would bring me this level of satisfaction, if that makes me a bad person, I guess I am. Had the league dealt with the Maxpac hit, the bruins brawl tactics, campell pounding away at a player with his elbow pad,ference's finger- sorry equipment malfunction(like wiz's suspension) ference's taking out of halpern, Horton' water bottle incident with a fan- which was suspendable for other teams, I probably wouldn't feel this way. However when the law fails frontier justice, vigilante justice and karma all start to look pretty damn good.

Horton will not be back in this series. If he is, he won't be effective after that.

I don't wish any harm on Horton and hope he is ok, but I don't feel any sympathy for the fanbase that came up with ridiculous excuses to justify Chara's hit.

Has Dr. Recchi given his prognosis yet?

It's nice to see Patches take the high road and offer his well wishes to Horton via twitter. Classy guy.

4 games for Rome. Consistent again, eh, NHL?

If this is the new standard for such hits (i.e., inference resulting in injury) now that Campbell is gone then so be it. But if it isn't, I fail to see how this hit was worse than Chara's hit.

It's maddening.

If this is the new standard for such hits (i.e., inference resulting in injury) now that Campbell is gone then so be it. But if it isn't, I fail to see how this hit was worse than Chara's hit.

It's maddening.

The part that irritates is the "lateness of the hit" and "significant injury" quotes from Murphy.

Two factors that were totally ignored for Pacioretty in order to set up the red herring of intent. This is all about the skill level of the offender IMO. THAT is why they have vague unprovable criteria like intent, it allows them to shift the focus to let off the Chara/Ovechkin's of the world.

The part that irritates is the "lateness of the hit" and "significant injury" quotes from Murphy.

Two factors that were totally ignored for Pacioretty in order to set up the red herring of intent. This is all about the skill level of the offender IMO. THAT is why they have vague unprovable criteria like intent, it allows them to shift the focus to let off the Chara/Ovechkin's of the world.

Hey, they actually did suspend Ovechkin. It's the bruins who seem to be governed under a different set of rules.

Exactly. They're so obviously contradictory in all of their statements that it baffles me how they're not held accountable. What if other professions conducted themselves in such a contradictory, wishy-washy manner?

Citizen: "Well, you let my friend off with speeding and running over an elderly lady, how come you're arresting me for rolling through a stop sign?"

Officer: *shrugs* "Your friend didn't mean to do that... but it doesn't matter that you didn't... The law is the law."

I should elaborate on my last statement about interference. I t is my opinion that injury resulting from interference should be suspendable. The person being interfered with has no reason to believe that a hit is coming, then, whack they are driven into a stanchion or crushed at center ice. Rome recieved a good suspension. This needs to end. These suspensions should not change based on player talent either. Chara should have recieved a suspension from the league. Thats all anyone wanted. An admission by the league that we do not want this sort of thing in the league. Instead we get it was a hockey play and there was no intent.

The whole thing is laughable (actually, 'tragic' would be a better adjective, since lives and health are at stake). And I agree that the injury to Horton is cosmic justice, although I do not wish Horotn any harm. In any case, this won't help the Bruins. Between this and the 8-1 shellacking, it's Vancouver that is going to come out next game with a sense of aggreieved righteousness. Expect Boston to get dismantled by the Canucks' machine in Game 4. I said Van in 5 going into this thing and 5 it's going to be.

EDIT: watching that hit again, I cannot BELIEVE they gave Rome 4 games. Is it an irresponsible hit? 100%. Should he be suspended? 100%. But this hit is NO WORSE than the hit that ended Crosby's season - no suspension - no worse than the Game 7 hit on Halpern - no suspension - no worse than the Torres hit - no suspension - Lucic on Spacek - no suspension - and certainly no worse than then Pacioretty hit - no suspension. For that matter, Scott Stevens is in the Hall of Fame for hits like this. The double standard is absolutely galling. Shame on the NHL for playing Russian Roulette with the lives and well-being of its players.

I have a feeling we'll see this series get evened up in game 4.

The Bruins are mad.

The Canucks are humiliated.

For all the Bruins fans, I would like to see this end in 6 so Vancouver can be presented the cup in Boston.

The whole thing is laughable (actually, 'tragic' would be a better adjective, since lives and health are at stake). And I agree that the injury to Horton is cosmic justice, although I do not wish Horotn any harm. In any case, this won't help the Bruins. Between this and the 8-1 shellacking, it's Vancouver that is going to come out next game with a sense of aggreieved righteousness. Expect Boston to get dismantled by the Canucks' machine in Game 4. I said Van in 5 going into this thing and 5 it's going to be.

EDIT: watching that hit again, I cannot BELIEVE they gave Rome 4 games. Is it an irresponsible hit? 100%. Should he be suspended? 100%. But this hit is NO WORSE than the hit that ended Crosby's season - no suspension - no worse than the Game 7 hit on Halpern - no suspension - no worse than the Torres hit - no suspension - Lucic on Spacek - no suspension - and certainly no worse than then Pacioretty hit - no suspension. For that matter, Scott Stevens is in the Hall of Fame for hits like this. The double standard is absolutely galling. Shame on the NHL for playing Russian Roulette with the lives and well-being of its players.

Watch this and tell me there is a difference between what Stevens did to Kariya and Rome did to Horton.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8up-tkxZ4r8

Watch this and tell me there is a difference between what Stevens did to Kariya and Rome did to Horton.

Exactly the same play. Stevens is a hero. Welcome to the NHL.

EDIT: as for what the difference is...I dunno, could it be that it's a BRUIN lying on his back twitching? Or maybe that Rome is a marginal player? Step right up, gentlemen, and spin the NHL WHEEL OF ARBITRARY JUSTICE. WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!

Exactly the same play. Stevens is a hero. Welcome to the NHL.

EDIT: as for what the difference is...I dunno, could it be that it's a BRUIN lying on his back twitching? Or maybe that Rome is a marginal player? Step right up, gentlemen, and spin the NHL WHEEL OF ARBITRARY JUSTICE. WHEEEEEEEEE!!!!

I'm surprised Dr. Recchi hasn't declared that Horton was trying to draw the 5 minute major and a suspension.

I was listening to the radio at lunch (think it was TSN) and the main difference was 5 frames. It takes 30 frames per second, Rome was 28, Stevens (whichever hit whether it was this one or one of his many others) was 23. In the grand scheme of things, the primary difference was a less than a fifth of a second. Literally quicker than the blink of an eye. Not much difference in the end in that respect.

I was listening to the radio at lunch (think it was TSN) and the main difference was 5 frames. It takes 30 frames per second, Rome was 28, Stevens (whichever hit whether it was this one or one of his many others) was 23. In the grand scheme of things, the primary difference was a less than a fifth of a second. Literally quicker than the blink of an eye. Not much difference in the end in that respect.

It is a predatory hit in both cases. Stevens is full of shit and so is Rome. Those hits were meant to hurt and hurt significantly. For either of them to suggest otherwise is absurd.

I am suppossed to believe that Rome didn't know that Horton had given up the puck? No chance.

That suspension is all about the offending player being a nobody. Pronger beheaded McAmmond less than two weeks after driving a players head into the glass and got 1 game.

Claude Lemieux got 2 games for his hit on Draper. It was a dirty play, but 4 games is ridiculous considering the no-calls this season on worse hits.

Even worse, both these decisions (Chara and Rome) were made by the same, "non biased" guy. There is no excuse that they were made by different people. I can see no explanation for the different decisions, other then Murphy decided poor Chara never meant to hurt him. That is not a decision he should be making. Intent is not relevant. Both were late. Both were interference. Both were brutal results. In the case of Chara, it was later and even less useful a "hockey play". Rome was a bit late taking a guy out who would have gone up the middle. Chara had no reason at all to rub out Pacs.

I sure hope Shanny can do a better job of applying consistent discipline. Its hard to imagine him being worse.

Brian, the NHL actually counts frames to determine whether somebody should be suspended?

Gomez seems like such a nerd in that video.

Here is another similar one:

BTH, they do count frames. This was confirmed by, I think, Eric Duhatschek. I don't object to that in principle, but dlbalr's post exposes the sheer absurdity of the whole business - as though a player is supposed to understand the difference between a fraction of a second when deciding to lay a hit. Dlbalr's post reads like satire. You may as well expect players to calculate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Players are completely confused about what is a suspendable or even a legal hit and what isn't. And I believe Rome when he says he was just 'finishing his check' and thought it was a hockey play. Of course he did; he grew up watching Scott Stevens get hailed as a hero for doing exactly that. Like every other player, he's been trained relentlessly in an ethos of 'punishing the opposition' and 'finishing your check' as an absolute, and I'll bet you he has never once heard a coach say something like, 'finish your check but make sure the check is CLEAN.' And that's because the league has utterly failed to establish two key principles: first, what is and is not a clean hit; and second, that ONLY clean hits are acceptable.

In a weird way, Rome is a victim here too. He has been deprived of his once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play in a Stanley Cup Final by a completely arbitrary disciplinary system.

Wow.. apparently, Murphy consulted with Brian Burke on the length of the suspension. So he went to a guy from Boston who has been in a lawsuit with Vancouver to get advice on punishing a Canuck for a hit on a Bruin...

This league is full of idiots.

BTH, they do count frames. This was confirmed by, I think, Eric Duhatschek. I don't object to that in principle, but dlbar's post exposes the sheer absurdity of the whole business - as though a player is supposed to understand the difference between a fraction of a second when deciding to lay a hit. Dlbar's post reads like satire. You may as well expect players to calculate how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Players are completely confused about what is a suspendable or even a legal hit and what isn't. And I believe Rome when he says he was just 'finishing his check' and thought it was a hockey play. Of course he did; he grew up watching Scott Stevens get hailed as a hero for doing exactly that. Like every other player, he's been trained relentlessly in an ethos of 'punishing the opposition' and 'finishing your check' as an absolute, and I'll bet you he has never once heard a coach say something like, 'finish your check but make sure the check is CLEAN.' And that's because the league has utterly failed to establish two key principles: first, what is and is not a clean hit; and second, that ONLY clean hits are acceptable.

In a weird way, Rome is a victim here too. He has been deprived of his once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play in a Stanley Cup Final by a completely arbitrary disciplinary system.

One that is covering it's ass for their ridiculous decisions over the last two seasons by being heavy handed while all the media in North America is on them.

It is a typical Bettman move.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/canucks-fume-at-ruling/article2050943/

This is how the NHL operates. They can't use their head of discipline to rule on the matter because his son plays on the BOSTON BRUINS!! So their solution is to use Mike Murphy and he chooses to call Brian Burke for advice? Former GM of the Canucks and a man who has a stake in where the Bruins finish because of his draft choice?

Is this some sort of joke?

This league is an embarrassment to pro sports leagues.

So apparently nathen horton showed up at the game to present a victory jacket in the bruins dressing room. So what's the prognosis Dr Rechhi, shouldn't Horton be at home or in the hospital. He cant possibly really be seriously injured or concussed if he can go to a noisy arena. What a douche!!