Bruins playoff run 2011

YeahBud

Can't argue with Thomas being an elite goaltender.. I would go back to Patrick Roy for the last time a goalie was so deserving of the MVP honors... take Thomas off this team and they don't win a round..

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't argue with Thomas being an elite goaltender.. I would go back to Patrick Roy for the last time a goalie was so deserving of the MVP honors... take Thomas off this team and they don't win a round..

How can JS Giguere be not as deserving in 2003? The guy played on an 8 seed and came within one game of the title. Cam Ward? Do the Canes knock out the Habs without Ward? Pure hyperbole based on statistics alone.

Bruins win.

The team who's players would literally give the middle-finger to opposing fans and resort to dishonorable thuggery wins the cup.

It seems terribly unjust, and it definitely sucks, but what goes around will come around. The Bruins have amassed a mountain-load of bad karma and it'll bite them in the ass sooner or later.

Enjoy your cup, Boston. You won't get another for decades.

As for Vancouver.. looks like they couldn't get it done. The Canadian teams can't seem to bring home the cup. It's going to have to be up to the Habs I tell ya!

I'm happy for Thomas, Recchi, Bergeron and most of all Claude Julien. The rest of them can go blow. And did anyone see Marchand banging the glass and taunting Canucks fans after that fourth goal? Sheesh, what a no-class human turd.

At the end of the day, though, you have to hand it to the Bruins. They were full value in terms of work ethic, determination, and most of all team D. As Habs fans, I think it's fair to note their track record of deliberately injuring or attempting to injure our players, and all the non-suspensions (the Raymond hit was a disagrace). But sour grapes are inappropriate. A lot of their fans posted on Habs boards after Game 7 in Round One to express their respect for our team's guts. Those guys got the breaks but they are a damned strong team - remember they played without their #1 C - and deserve to win. So does the city of Boston, a genuine hockey town, an Original Six franchise with long-suffering fans. Give 'em their due.

I may be overreacting, but I think the Canucks should start shopping Luongo around. At 32 he's not going to get better. And don't come back with his 'untradeable' contract. Some team desperate for goaltending will take him. There is no end to the stupidity of NHL GMs.

Wamsley, you are 100% right. I've been saying this all along. SIGN WIZ AND MARKOV AND WORRY ABOUT THE CAP LATER. That's a Cup-worthy D. And that's what counts.

Gonna look at it from the bright side and say that we STILL are the last Canadian team to win it all. On the other hand I rather have the Bruins winning it over the Leafs but I rather have ANY OTHER TEAM in the leauge winning it over the Bruins. This is hard.

I'm happy for Thomas, Recchi, Bergeron and most of all Claude Julien. The rest of them can go blow. And did anyone see Marchand banging the glass and taunting Canucks fans after that fourth goal? Sheesh, what a no-class human turd.

At the end of the day, though, you have to hand it to the Bruins. They were full value in terms of work ethic, determination, and most of all team D. As Habs fans, I think it's fair to note their track record of deliberately injuring or attempting to injure our players, and all the non-suspensions (the Raymond hit was a disagrace). But sour grapes are inappropriate. A lot of their fans posted on Habs boards after Game 7 in Round One to express their respect for our team's guts. Those guys got the breaks but they are a damned strong team - remember they played without their #1 C - and deserve to win. So does the city of Boston, a genuine hockey town, an Original Six franchise with long-suffering fans. Give 'em their due.

I may be overreacting, but I think the Canucks should start shopping Luongo around. At 32 he's not going to get better. And don't come back with his 'untradeable' contract. Some team desperate for goaltending will take him. There is no end to the stupidity of NHL GMs.

Wamsley, you are 100% right. I've been saying this all along. SIGN WIZ AND MARKOV AND WORRY ABOUT THE CAP LATER. That's a Cup-worthy D. And that's what counts.

Luongo came up really short in regards to his reputation. It is now three straight seasons where he has had the opportunity to raise his level and he has faltered every time.

He is big, but not very mobile and that was highlighted by the second goal (a goal that he said was an easy save for him after Game 5 mind you).

If they trade Schneider they are out of their mind. Cheap and essentially not much difference, if not better than Luongo. He has really dented his legacy with this series. If he never pulls out a Cup win, he will always be remembered for putting up huge stats on bad teams and not being able to step up in the playoffs. Fair or not, that is what is going to happen.

Gonna look at it from the bright side and say that we STILL are the last Canadian team to win it all. On the other hand I rather have the Bruins winning it over the Leafs but I rather have ANY OTHER TEAM in the leauge winning it over the Bruins. This is hard.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. Bruin fans didn't do anything to deserve it, nothing more than we have done. Let them enjoy their moment.

They think they have the hammer, but when your team has 24 Cups and owned you for 85% of your existence, one Cup doesn't matter. I saw the same thing happen with the Red Sox. They thought when they won in 2004 that they had the hammer, then the Yankee fans started making t-shirts counting their rings, etc.

There is no hammer. Only stubborn individuals who will never give in. Today is their day, tomorrow may be ours.

He is big, but not very mobile and that was highlighted by the second goal (a goal that he said was an easy save for him after Game 5 mind you).

I agree with you, but Luongo's mobility was seriously limited on that goal with Daniel Sedin tumbling over him.

I agree with you, but Luongo's mobility was seriously limited on that goal with Daniel Sedin tumbling over him.

Luongo wasn't the Canucks' principal problem; the Boston defence was. Having said that, Luongo wasn't exactly the *answer* either.

If I'm Gillis, I do shop Loo around, but failing that, the Canucks had one other discernable weakness: the lack of any really battle-tested Cup veterans on the squad. Granted, Samuelsson was hurt, but they need to go out and get a couple of Hal Gills/Mark Recchis for next season. Their philosophy that 'it will come from within' is a bust.

Luongo wasn't the Canucks' principal problem; the Boston defence was. Having said that, Luongo wasn't exactly the *answer* either.

If I'm Gillis, I do shop Loo around, but failing that, the Canucks had one other discernable weakness: the lack of any really battle-tested Cup veterans on the squad. Granted, Samuelsson was hurt, but they need to go out and get a couple of Hal Gills/Mark Recchis for next season. Their philosophy that 'it will come from within' is a bust.

If the Sedin's, Luongo, etc didn't learn their Cup lessons with losses to the Blackhawks and Ducks championship runs then they never will. The Bruins didn't win because of guys like Recchi, they won because they all committed to the system. If Recchi was so important, where was he when they choked a 3-0 lead last season.

The lack of repeat champs isn't all cap related. When you win a Cup, your desire to return is not as great as your desire to conquer your lifelong goal. The odds are long on the Canucks returning to the Final next season and winning. Two teams since 1970 have managed to lose in the FInal and return immediately and win the next season. They were lead by Crosby and Gretzky.

They lost because their best players didn't pull the freight. When you build your core around Luongo, Sedin, Sedin and Kesler and they get 2-3 points and your goaltender gives up 3+ goals per game, you don't win. I don't care if they had Recchi, Gill, Madden etc.

Only positive in this for me is that my Dad is a Bruins fan. I'll be trying to bite my tongue and not sully his moment.

My sister is a Bruins fan. I gave my 'call from the president' type congratulations call yesterday.

I don't know too many Bruins fans, thank god. I do know that I hate them. It seems to me that there is an injustice done, when you build a team on skill, and thrive on the power play in the new NHL and in the playoffs, the whistles are abandoned and it's back to goonery. I am not a Canucks fan either, and usually I take a certain pleasure in their failures, but I just feel like they got a raw deal on the officiating side of things. The sad part is that this may be the beginning of teams loading up on goons and resorting to these tactics to win.

Not hyperbole. I would argue Thomas is more important to the Bruins than either of those two were to their teams. It is a matter of opinion since they were also good, I just think Thomas has been phenomenal. Its not just statistics either. He has made incredible saves game after game. He made more saves then any other goalie in history in a single playoffs. Its not like he sat back and never saw a shot. It is also not fair to say he only faced bad angle shots. He saw lots of break aways, two on ones, goalmouth scrambles, etc.

I know you have little respect for Thomas, but that is your problem to deal with. Apparently nothing he accomplishes will be enough for you. I wish he wasn't a Bruin, but he is the best goalie in the league over the last few years, other then when he was injured. He is not a flash in the pan or just lucky.

How can JS Giguere be not as deserving in 2003? The guy played on an 8 seed and came within one game of the title. Cam Ward? Do the Canes knock out the Habs without Ward? Pure hyperbole based on statistics alone.

My view exactly. Pitts learned their lesson. They got some goons and went and got their cup. You are never going to win with speed, skill, and fancy players in the playoffs as long as the rules change and it is all about clutch, hold, goon.

The fact that the strategy of "physically intimidating the sedins after every whistle' worked, rather then gave PP after PP to the Canucks is proof.

Sadly, Marchand and Lucic are far better players for a playoff run then Pouliot and Eller. They are douchebags, but they are hard nose bastards that play the style rewarded by the playoff reffing.

Hell, one of the most effective Canucks was Laps. Sad.

I don't know too many Bruins fans, thank god. I do know that I hate them. It seems to me that there is an injustice done, when you build a team on skill, and thrive on the power play in the new NHL and in the playoffs, the whistles are abandoned and it's back to goonery. I am not a Canucks fan either, and usually I take a certain pleasure in their failures, but I just feel like they got a raw deal on the officiating side of things. The sad part is that this may be the beginning of teams loading up on goons and resorting to these tactics to win.

And yet the Habs were one game seven overtime goal away from beating them.

It shows how open the NHL is these days.

I don't think Montreal would have gone on to win the Cup so I wouldn't say that all 16 playoff teams have a realistic chance to win but there is no doubt that any playoff team can beat any playoff team.

I don't think Montreal would have gone on to win the Cup so I wouldn't say that all 16 playoff teams have a realistic chance to win but there is no doubt that any playoff team can beat any playoff team.

huh.gif

huh.gif

I don't think Montreal would have gone on to win the Cup so I wouldn't say that all 16 playoff teams have a realistic chance to win the Cup but there is no doubt that any playoff team can beat any playoff team in a single round.

I just want to say I am glad we are stuck with Gomez's contract and not Luongo's! What? Another 10 years? They may as well trade Schnieder as they won't be able to keep both long term and nobody will give them much for the playoff sieve if anyone is interested at all. Pretty bad when you have to let the better of your two goalies go because you awarded someone a stupid contract.

I just want to say I am glad we are stuck with Gomez's contract and not Luongo's! What? Another 10 years? They may as well trade Schnieder as they won't be able to keep both long term and nobody will give them much for the playoff sieve if anyone is interested at all. Pretty bad when you have to let the better of your two goalies go because you awarded someone a stupid contract.

That is knee jerk analysis. At the end of the day, a smart GM will take the large sample size and not the small sample size to make his judgements.

Now mind you, in the NHL goaltender stats are misleading so somebody with knowledge of the position should also video review his performance, so using his stats could lead you to the wrong decision. There will always be a GM who is willing to roll the dice on a guy who is always in the top 10 of goaltending stats whose goal might not immediately be to win the Stanley Cup, but to solidify his chance at a playoff position.

If Gomez got traded at that number, anybody can be dealt.

Vancouver should go with Schneider for the simple fact that he can provide replacement level performance for 25% of the price. Return this same team with an added impact player to replace Luongo's commitment and you have a better team.

I know. BTH. But if you apply this logic to every single round, then all 16 teams have a realistic shot at the Cup no ?

There's enough difference between them that some teams are better than others but not enough difference to make upsets surprising.

Vancouver vs Chicago is pretty much a toss up, maybe Van has a 60% chance of winning.

But Vancouver has a much better chance of winning 4 rounds than Chicago does. It's then realistic to say that Chi will beat Van but not very realistic to say Chi will win the Cup.