Draft

BlueKross

I expect that the Canadiens will continue their facade that they are actually picking the best person available. We pick at 17, we still are looking for that big #1 center and our defensive recruits need a shot in the arm. Who do you like?

I don't know about the big center. The have Leblanc and Eller. Both pretty good size. They aren't clear number 1's. They have Pleks and Decharnais. All of those are pretty young. Than thye have the Gomez issue.

They aren't going to get a big #1 center picking in the late teens every year.

I agree about the defense core.

They need size and grit at the forward position.

With this draft, you're probably looking at getting a 2nd/3rd line forward or 3rd-5th defenceman. It's not going to solve too many problems other than improving the depth. Right now, I've only briefly looked at some of the potential options for players at 17 in preparation for our mock draft next month. Selfishly speaking though, I'm hoping that Mark Scheifele from Barrie gets some consideration; most peg him to go between 15-20.

With this draft, you're probably looking at getting a 2nd/3rd line forward or 3rd-5th defenceman. It's not going to solve too many problems other than improving the depth. Right now, I've only briefly looked at some of the potential options for players at 17 in preparation for our mock draft next month. Selfishly speaking though, I'm hoping that Mark Scheifele from Barrie gets some consideration; most peg him to go between 15-20.

Oh we draft 17th, boo-hoo, boo-hoo, we can't do anything. I don't think we should go into draft with a defeatist attitude. We need to go in with a positive attitude and make the draft work for us, no matter where we pick. On Chris's comment, LeBlanc isn't big by any stretch of the imagination and Eller may fit the bill but neither are guaranteed to fulfill that role. Given the difficulty to find that person, I think you still have to get people in to address it. Oh what a problem to have three or four of those guys. Center Defenseman Center Defenseman Center Defenseman

I'd love for us to take a flier on Nikita Kucherov. I don't care if he wants to play for CSKA the next couple of years, the guy is too skilled to pass for the next Mathieu Carle. Trading down might be a thing we should do to acquire picks we lost in trades this past year.

Seriously... Kucherov had 11 goals and 21 points in 7 freaking games at the U18s. He dominated the MHL and has already played in the KHL, and his 18th birthday isn't until the week before the draft. He's really slender right now but that can easily change.

Oh we draft 17th, boo-hoo, boo-hoo, we can't do anything. I don't think we should go into draft with a defeatist attitude. We need to go in with a positive attitude and make the draft work for us, no matter where we pick.

Don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say, I don't recall typing that the Habs can't do anything. It's not a defeatist attitude, it's basically reality, 17th overall picks in a supposedly weak draft generally don't turn into star players. Of course you go in thinking positively and hoping the guy you get turns out to be better than expected but to expect to get a top-notch player is asking a bit much here. You can get a good player with that pick, just keep your expectations tempered accordingly.

Don't put words in my mouth that I didn't say, I don't recall typing that the Habs can't do anything. It's not a defeatist attitude, it's basically reality, 17th overall picks in a supposedly weak draft generally don't turn into star players. Of course you go in thinking positively and hoping the guy you get turns out to be better than expected but to expect to get a top-notch player is asking a bit much here. You can get a good player with that pick, just keep your expectations tempered accordingly.

I thought that might get a reaction. Most of the time you are positive no matter how bad the situation looks. From Central Scouting, I think Mark McNeill would be a good fit at 17. I think you have to think about that big defenseman Oleksiak at that spot as well. Can you immagine Tinordi and Oleksiak on defense putting a stop to that cycling we didn't have an answer for.

I thought that might get a reaction. Most of the time you are positive no matter how bad the situation looks. From Central Scouting, I think Mark McNeill would be a good fit at 17. I think you have to think about that big defenseman Oleksiak at that spot as well. Can you immagine Tinordi and Oleksiak on defense putting a stop to that cycling we didn't have an answer for.

From what I've read about McNeill, he's a prototypical physical 3rd liner but his offensive game may be iffy moving forward. He was a good scorer in the WHL though, a league known for not having many good scorers. As for Oleksiak, I think he's this year's Dylan McIlrath, a late riser that winds up going way earlier than he should based on his size. I think he's a 2nd round talent that goes in the top-15. He and Tinordi together is a little tempting though, I must admit.

• 1 month later...

With the draft now just 8 days away, time to bump this methinks. We had our HW Mock Draft last night (I'm an idiot for scheduling it during Game 7 by the way, didn't think Boston was coming back when it was scheduled but I digress) with lots of debate about the Habs' pick at #17. One of the players in this article is our pick for the mock while others were picked just ahead or just behind #17. Who are you hoping our pick will be; who do you hope the actual pick will be?

The draft is always interesting, but I can never take it too seriously, since despite all the 'expert' fulminations, nobody really knows how most of these players will turn out. More hot air is blown on draft-day than at any other time of the hockey calendar. (Remember the dismay that shuddered through Habsland when all the 'experts' declaimed that we blew our #5 pick by taking Price instead of Gilbert Brulé? :rolleyes: )

Also, when people pronounce on what we 'need,' they often seem to me to be talking about the current roster. Of course that has little to do with draft day, since the player will likely only be making the team (if at all) in 3-4 years' time. Drafting to 'fill a need' only makes sense if based on extrapolation of what our needs will be then - a perilous business at best, since we don't know which players will develop into NHLers and at what level they will play once there; and so have only a vague idea of what our team will look like at that point. That's why the BPA *is* a sensible default position except in really glaring cases (as the C position has been for us for most of the past decade).

Also, in terms of predicting just who the Habs will pick, it might be good to consider the team's propensity for favouring 'safe' and 'complete' players in the mould of Plekanec: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/13129/montreal_canadiens2011_draft_preview/

Just my 2 cents.

The draft is always interesting, but I can never take it too seriously, since despite all the 'expert' fulminations, nobody really knows how most of these players will turn out. More hot air is blown on draft-day than at any other time of the hockey calendar. (Remember the dismay that shuddered through Habsland when all the 'experts' declaimed that we blew our #5 pick by taking Price instead of Gilbert Brulé? :rolleyes: )

Also, when people pronounce on what we 'need,' they often seem to me to be talking about the current roster. Of course that has little to do with draft day, since the player will likely only be making the team (if at all) in 3-4 years' time. Drafting to 'fill a need' only makes sense if based on extrapolation of what our needs will be then - a perilous business at best, since we don't know which players will develop into NHLers and at what level they will play once there; and so have only a vague idea of what our team will look like at that point. That's why the BPA *is* a sensible default position except in really glaring cases (as the C position has been for us for most of the past decade).

Also, in terms of predicting just who the Habs will pick, it might be good to consider the team's propensity for favouring 'safe' and 'complete' players in the mould of Plekanec: http://www.hockeysfu..._draft_preview/

Just my 2 cents.

You are right on here. You have left the door open to take a prospect for need with a condition. I am reminded that we could not seem to draft a front line big center from 2003 on. I would be one that still thinks Kopitar might have been a better choice than Price considering we had Halak and there were good goalies to be had in later rounds. Whatever it is done. I think Armia should be in the mix for us at 17. Does anybody happen to know who Redline has at seventeen?

http://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2011/6/17/2224328/mock-draft-with-the-17th-pick-the-montreal-canadiens-select

A group of four of us on EOTP picked Mark Schiefele 17th overall based on a draft involving our peers at SB Nation. We did a vote a few picks before we were up, at that point Schiefele was #2 on our list, behind Armia. Armia went #15 to the Rangers, and I don't think he'll be available at #17 to be perfectly honest.

Kopitar was who I wanted the habs to take. It's turned out well, now that we now Price is a stud and should be one for a long time. But even knowing that, I'd still have taken Kopitar. a BIG OFFENSIVE center is something the habs have been lacking for a LONG time now.

Having said that, it could have been disaster if Pouliot was available at #5, since from reports, that was who the habs were targeting. So we did dodge a bullet there. Having said that, I think they do need to qualify Pouliot. I think he can become a better player then he showed - he has the skill set to be a solid 30 goal guy. Problem is that the habs are not very good at handling the non-JM type player.

http://www.habseyeso...anadiens-select

A group of four of us on EOTP picked Mark Schiefele 17th overall based on a draft involving our peers at SB Nation. We did a vote a few picks before we were up, at that point Schiefele was #2 on our list, behind Armia. Armia went #15 to the Rangers, and I don't think he'll be available at #17 to be perfectly honest.

As a Barrie Colt fan, I'd be quite happy with that pick. Regarding Armia, I have him going quite a bit higher than 17 in my own personal mock.

As a Barrie Colt fan, I'd be quite happy with that pick. Regarding Armia, I have him going quite a bit higher than 17 in my own personal mock.

The ranking I made to cast my vote had Armia 12th, Schiefele 14th. For what it's worth. I'm by no means anything but an amateur, though I have seen all these players play at least a little.

Bonne Jenner anyone? By all accounts a work horse... Seems like a prospect that would in no way go bust. (plus Canadian, sorry I'm tired of American picks even if they are from Minnesota).

Bonne Jenner anyone? By all accounts a work horse... Seems like a prospect that would in no way go bust. (plus Canadian, sorry I'm tired of American picks even if they are from Minnesota).

From what I've read, he is tumbling down the rankings. It's not that he won't be an NHL'er, it's just that his ceiling is more or less a checker. Those are good guys to get in the 2nd round but not at pick 17...though the Habs did do just that a few years back with Chipchura at 18.

BOOOOO!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! ....(Bettman walks onto the stage)

........Boooooooo!!!!!!.... Canadiens Draft team goes up to the mic....

........( a thunderous chant ensues)

.......Bettman Sucks!!!!!! Bettman Sucks!!!! and then it happens

......With the 17th pick of the 1st round the Montreal Canadiens select Center Mark Mcneill

BOOOOO!!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! ....(Bettman walks onto the stage)

........Boooooooo!!!!!!.... Canadiens Draft team goes up to the mic....

........( a thunderous chant ensues)

.......Bettman Sucks!!!!!! Bettman Sucks!!!! and then it happens

......With the 17th pick of the 1st round the Montreal Canadiens select Center Mark Mcneill

No matter what, the first part of that prediction will surely hold true. :)

From what I've read, he is tumbling down the rankings. It's not that he won't be an NHL'er, it's just that his ceiling is more or less a checker. Those are good guys to get in the 2nd round but not at pick 17...though the Habs did do just that a few years back with Chipchura at 18.

Yep - chipchura. I shudder when the team makes a pick and the top three things they say are about his character, strong two way player and future captain potential. No mention about speed, skill or offensive ability.

Kind of like getting setup with a plain looking, figureless girl, and being told she's got a great personality.

No matter what, the first part of that prediction will surely hold true. :)

I like Bettman, to a degree. I think he has done amazing job considering every move is at the scrutiny of millions of fans. I am going with the big defenseman as our pick (Oleksiak)

we currently have the 17th pick

no 2nd

our own 3rd at 78th

Anaheim's 4th at 113th

our own 5th at 138th

our own 6th at 168th

and our own 7th at 198th

With the third think Xavier Ouellet will still be kicking around?

I would love too get him

Forwards with size are the biggest need.

I like Biggs but i would like a trade down to get him and have a second round player.

I don'T know but between top 10 and 60 i do not see much a convincing top 6 forward.

Althought Arnia is interesting if still available at 17th.