Your Gomez Solution (but no "easy" way out)

Trizzak

*shrug* This is all hypothetical anyway, I was just trying to find a situation where the money would match up, I wonder if the habs could work a deal like sending Gomez plus a couple first rounders for a blue chipper prospect on another team. If we feel Gomez is a bum, I suspect other teams feel the same way.

I do think we can trade a bad contract for a bad contract, it's just finding the right fit.

You gotta be kidding me?? Brian Murray should have been fired for following up the Kovolev signing with signing Gonchar. He is pretty much washed up, is a one dimenstional old Dman. He was great Dman in his day, but he is not an upgrade.

On top of that you want to throw in Weber??? Haven't we already made that mistake by throwing in McDonough AND the rights to the other russian dman (name escapes me now - guy who bolted to the KHL), on top of that. That would mean we gave up three damn good defensive prospects for the honour of taking two has been lousy contracts.

I really don't understand why people are so eager to give upon Weber. I think he can be a solid #3/#4 dman with a great offensive upside in a cojuple of years. Have we not learned from giving up on O'Byrne???

Yes, we should keep Weber. I understand why guys like Grabovski, fatendresse and S. Kostitsyn are playing (with great success) elsewhere - the Habs had a deeply poisonous team culture that had to be radically expunged - I too have had enough of shedding young talent. However, considering that O'Byrne was something like -18 (!) in the second half, I'm not sure there's much to learn from that particular departure. If he'd had those results with us you'd no doubt be howling for blood.

Man, we WON the O'Byrne trade. Bournival is a great prospect. Sure, O'Byrne could have come in handy when we were dropping d-men, but I honestly think we got in return for him at least what we gave up for Wisniewski.

I'm not going to pin that -18 count on O'Byrne entirely, but I wasn't about to praise his great start, either. He was playing on a team that was playing over their heads to start the year and it all crashed in on them spectacularly in the second half. He's simply not a top 4 guy based on the several years we had him in the organization, and I don't mind trading non-core players. Latendresse, Sergei and Grabovski were frustrating because you knew they had a lot of talent.

I am not against keeping Weber, I just don't know where he fits in with Subban, Markov, Gill, Spacek and Gorges. If they do not sign Wiz, maybe he pairs with Spacek?

Weber could be the #7 next year if nothing else. We know he'll play some games.

Markov-Gorges

Gill-Subban

Spacek-Weber

Yemelin/Picard

If those guys are indeed the ones returning. Or its Yemelin-Spacek as the 3rd pairing with Weber as the 7th/swingman. Spacek is on borrowed time, obviously, but he still slots as a 3rd pairing guy in this situation.

Is Hammer truely gone, he's expressed interest in staying, I just don't like the idea of a slower D to go with another slower D in Gill, and two returning from injury D, in Markov and Gorges.

Man, we WON the O'Byrne trade. Bournival is a great prospect. Sure, O'Byrne could have come in handy when we were dropping d-men, but I honestly think we got in return for him at least what we gave up for Wisniewski.

I'm not going to pin that -18 count on O'Byrne entirely, but I wasn't about to praise his great start, either. He was playing on a team that was playing over their heads to start the year and it all crashed in on them spectacularly in the second half. He's simply not a top 4 guy based on the several years we had him in the organization, and I don't mind trading non-core players. Latendresse, Sergei and Grabovski were frustrating because you knew they had a lot of talent.

and absolutely no heart.

and absolutely no heart.

I disagree. Both Grabs and L'il #### were/are fiesty players. The issue with them was whether they are good team players. Clearly they weren't, at that stage in their development. As for Latendresse, meh.

I disagree. Both Grabs and L'il #### were/are fiesty players. The issue with them was whether they are good team players. Clearly they weren't, at that stage in their development. As for Latendresse, meh.

other than wanting to have a slap fight with each other I never saw it.

Gomez will be here next year. After that we'll be in a new CBA. I am pretty sure that both the owners and the players want are unhappy with the situation that players like Souray are in. I think the new CBA will have some way for teams to buy out these sort of contracts that is more palatable than the current rules. If Gomez doesn't rebound next year I think the new CBA will be our out.

Yes, we should keep Weber. I understand why guys like Grabovski, fatendresse and S. Kostitsyn are playing (with great success) elsewhere - the Habs had a deeply poisonous team culture that had to be radically expunged - I too have had enough of shedding young talent. However, considering that O'Byrne was something like -18 (!) in the second half, I'm not sure there's much to learn from that particular departure. If he'd had those results with us you'd no doubt be howling for blood.

O'Byrne's -18 isn't much different the Wiz's +/- the islanders. The Avs fell of the face of the earth in the second half. EVERYONE on that team sucked. I think we got a decent prospect from him, but we can't keep up shedding our defensive prospects - particulary ones that have the potential to be strong physical net clearing forces. Particularly when it seems every year we are shedding draft picks for defensive rentals. I also think O'Byrne is going to go on to be at least a solid #4 type dman for the Avs.

I'm not sure if Bournavil is going to address the same type of concern we have with all of our offensive prospects - lack of size.

I think over the past two years, I've made it pretty clear how much I liked Sk74. The issue with him was the same with a lot of hab prospects, rushing them through, before they were mature enough to be on the big team and then the team doing a lousy job of dealing with a kid they rushed.

I think over the past two years, I've made it pretty clear how much I liked Sk74. The issue with him was the same with a lot of hab prospects, rushing them through, before they were mature enough to be on the big team and then the team doing a lousy job of dealing with a kid they rushed.

Well, there was clearly an issue with player development under Rebuild 1.0. Only a couple of the heralded young guns we brought up amounted to much. That Gainey fired the entire Hamilton Bulldogs operation in addition to the Montreal coaching staff that had been charged with overseeing the rebuild was a pretty blaring admission of this problem.

Mercifully, the early indicators are that we've turned the corner in this respect.

Well, there was clearly an issue with player development under Rebuild 1.0. Only a couple of the heralded young guns we brought up amounted to much. That Gainey fired the entire Hamilton Bulldogs operation in addition to the Montreal coaching staff that had been charged with overseeing the rebuild was a pretty blaring admission of this problem.

Mercifully, the early indicators are that we've turned the corner in this respect.

Not to re-hash the past, but I'm trying to figure out why it was that Rebuild 1.0 produced many bonafide NHL players, but as a team was toxic. Technically, Don Lever's staff did their job... he got players up to NHL quality. Was it all Carbonneau? He definitely was a problem, but you also have to wonder about the leadership crew amongst the players. Gainey got rid of nearly every one of the vets that the rebuild started with except Koivu. Komisarek and Higgins were supposed to fill those roles, I suppose, the one that guys like Rivet, Souray, etc. filled when those guys were just breaking in. And of course there was the whole 'give Kovalev the C when Koivu was hurt' policy that I didn't fully understand.

I doubt anyone is going to write the tell-all book on that era, but it was a frustrating time of ridiculous highs and lows.

I agree with you generally, and to add to the point, it is sometimes the case that a Lats in his hometown before his adoring Habs fan or a Serguei who reads i the papers how talented and clever he is just doesn't wake up from living the dream UNTIL he gets dumped off to another team, often with THEIR underachiever coming back the other way.

Most of us are kinda like that I like to think because I certainly am. My screw-ups and the things I take for granted respond to the inattention. Sometimes I suspect, often, even, there's almost nothing a mature coach can do with star-gazing kids.

On another note, and back to Gomez, I can't help but like this guy. I don't believe he's a slacker and God knows there are all kinds of factors, physical , psychological, organizational, familial or whatever that can all combine to put things off just a little. And a little is all it takes.

Gomez is a good guy and I hope he has a hell of a year with us this year.

:1gohabs::canada::quebec:

On another note, and back to Gomez, I can't help but like this guy. I don't believe he's a slacker and God knows there are all kinds of factors, physical , psychological, organizational, familial or whatever that can all combine to put things off just a little. And a little is all it takes.

Gomez is a good guy and I hope he has a hell of a year with us this year.

:1gohabs::canada::quebec:

Agree Gomez is a likeable guy and the team mates like him. However, sometimes being a good guy just does not cut it. I also agree his contract is hard to handle for any team and I do not see Montreal putting him in the minors, it is simply not their style. We can hope he bounces back and had a great year.