The Jagr Poll

JoeLassister

The Jagr Poll  

41 members have voted

1. 1. With a realistic money-wise 1 year contract, would you like to see Jaromir Jagr with the Habs next season?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if he's cheap & willing to play within Martin's system.. we don't need any divas.

Also, I reserve the right to utilize the nickname that Pronger came up with for him.

absolutely not. he is a cancer and should sign with boston philly or pitts. Let him fork up their team. like he did pitts lasttime and the rangers. when he sashayed across the pond there was not a team in the nhl that wanted him. Absence or a lot of liquor makes the heart grow fonder I guess.

absolutely not. he is a cancer and should sign with boston philly or pitts. Let him fork up their team. like he did pitts lasttime and the rangers. when he sashayed across the pond there was not a team in the nhl that wanted him. Absence or a lot of liquor makes the heart grow fonder I guess.

He and Lundqvist completely rejuvenated the Rangers. They missed the playoffs seven straight years until he put on a MVP-type performance and took a team many picked last in the NHL into the playoffs. Then he helped keep them up there for the entire length of his contract. He was a cancer in Washington. Pittsburgh loved him, but were going broke, that's why they got rid of him.

Teams wanted him, the Rangers just decided to rebuild around the younger Gomez and Drury. Boy, that did them some good. He genuinely likes Omsk, he kept saying he wanted to play there again after playing there during the lockout.

WTF are you talking about? Jagr is a hockey legend. What about his production with the Rangers?

In his last 3 seasons in the NHL, with the Rangers, he had:

290 points in 246 games

27 pts in 23 playoff games

He had 51 pts in 49 games in the KHL this year.

He had success on a line with Plekanec at the World Championship and shown great chemistry. How can you not get excited?

He's 39.. so what? He might have an ego.. so what?

Unless his two hips are shattered in pieces, I'd take him any day of the week. We're not talking about Kovalev here. JAGR! Bring him on!

The only reason he would not want to come here would be by fear of playing with Gomez again. (after all, his last season was when the Rangers acquired Gomez). As long as Gauthier and Martin assure him he'll play with Plekanec, we're good I think.

About the "cancer in the room" remark, I'm sure Perry Pearn will be able to advise Gauthier on this. Pearn was an asst-coach with the Rangers the 3 years Jagr was there.

well just to clarify a little... yes he was a cancer in washington.... his years in pitts after lemieux left were a disaster he demanded the trade, it wasn't because they were going broke he was a washup at that time. As to the Rangers do you really ask the guy who carried your team to the playoffs and was mvp etc etc etc to take a hike with NO contract offer? I know he is skilled beyond belief but a legend nah I don't think so. He won cups with... oh yeah only when he played with lemieux I say lets get them both. :rolleyes::habslogo: and guys it is my opinion you aren't required to agree.

Jagr is almost 40, never was a team player and his play is similar to Kovalev, a star one game and invisible the next 3.

Prefer to see Gauthier spend the money on defense (try and somehow sign both 20 and 79 and off load Spacek) and hope Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller, Palushaj, Kostitsyn and Pouliot can add a bit more offense.

Or go with signing a Simon Gagne or another top six LW, but wouldnt touch Jagr, even if he still has some gas in the tank and chemistry with Plekanec.

Jagr is almost 40, never was a team player and his play is similar to Kovalev, a star one game and invisible the next 3.

Prefer to see Gauthier spend the money on defense (try and somehow sign both 20 and 79 and off load Spacek) and hope Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller, Palushaj, Kostitsyn and Pouliot can add a bit more offense.

Or go with signing a Simon Gagne or another top six LW, but wouldnt touch Jagr, even if he still has some gas in the tank and chemistry with Plekanec.

welcome to HW!

hmm, i don't like the comparison with Kovalev. AK has only played 3 seasons on a Pt-per-game pace, while it is basically the opposite trend for Jagr. Kovalev will appear in top 100 charts while Jagr is a top 10 all time candidate. If some players are cocky or difficult to manage, you'll always be more patient with players that are bringing tangible results.

Age isn't a factor for players that skilled. Superstars retire because of injuries or if they don't have enough physical strength. They will always have the skill. Jagr is pretty strong. The main risk with him is his hips.

Martin doesn't have a confrontational style. I'm sure he can take the right approach with Jagr and use him well. Although, seeing how he seems to be unable to bench Gomez, you can wonder if he'll be able to restricted Jagr to a limited role if he can't hold the pace.

Now that Plekanec is more "established", I think he can handle having Jagr on his side, and even benefit a lot. Back in the days, Kovalev was an intimidating presence for him, although he did benefit from that experience to elevate his game. Now, if Jagr had to chose a team, the occasion to play with Plekanec might even become an incentive for him to play here.

From the bit I've read about this it seems as though Jagr *might* have been interested in talking with Montreal.

Is there any evidence that Montreal is interested in him?

As for the speculative notion of whether we should sign him or not, it would have to be a short contract / reasonable money deal.

Two things that probably wouldn't be in the ballpark of swaying Jagr from the deal he has now.

No doubt he is a great player though.

I would definitely sign him.

I wanted Montreal to claim Hagman off waivers for some extra scoring depth so I'm obviously going to find Jagr sufficient.

I'm not sure he would have this bad apple reputation if he weren't European. How can Jagr play one game out of four while going a point per game year after year?

I'd love to get him, but he would have to be cheap and Jagr and cheap usually have not gone togetherl

I'd love to get him, but he would have to be cheap and Jagr and cheap usually have not gone togetherl

This is the key, obviously.

He will have to sign short term. He'll be 40 at the end of the season... long term is not an option. It'll be one year. How much is the key.

Well, I hate to beat a dead horse, but if we could bury Gomez in the minors we could afford to pay for Jagr.

Forwards:

Cammi-pleks-Jagr

Gionta-Eller-maxpax

Desharnais-ufa/laich-ak46

White-ufa/halpern-Boyd/other Hamilton option

Defencemen:

Markov-emelin

Subban-gorges

Wiz-weber

Gill

Goalie:

Price

Nabakov

Of course to afford this lineupaim order to be under the cap we would have to bury Gomez in the minors AND find a sucker/creative way to dump Spacek

I know he isn't a UFA, but have read the Islanders will probably trade his contract before the draft. At $550k, I'd imagine there would be a bidding war for him.

I know he isn't a UFA, but have read the Islanders will probably trade his contract before the draft. At $550k, I'd imagine there would be a bidding war for him.

If there's a bidding war, the Habs won't be in it. With Price as a bonafide #1, they're not going to be looking to pay much for a backup. Yes, his contract is cheap but if they have to surrender an asset to get him (and Nabokov has said he won't report anywhere unless he's a #1), they'd be better off paying an extra couple hundred thousand to not have to give up a pick/prospect.

Jagr was quoted by tsn as flirting with a return to NHL. He mentions Pittsburgh, (big pay cut required) New York, and Montreal. The fact that he mentioned New York tells me that he left on good terms with Sather. I would love to see him on a line with Plek and Cammie. Wow. Sorry no link. I'm on my Iphone

I find this part pretty telling of what might be going through his head. While it's all speculation, he seems to have a first choice and it doesn't appear to be Montreal.

"Pittsburgh, I played there for a long time. Mario (Lemieux) is the owner. It's better to play with great centres like (Sidney) Crosby and (Evgeni) Malkin, this game is a little bit easier and I'm not young anymore."

guys we do not need Jagr nor do we want jagr. He is 39 years old and I do mean OLD. we have a great young nucleus that do not need a prima donna past his prime peckerhead. You all remember what he has done not what he can do. Think about Mats Sundin' would you sign him a 10 mill a year? Like vancouver did? Do you think Mike Gillis would like a do-over? AHHHH yeah he would. What he did 15 years ago was great today he is a 39 year old over the hill phead. Get a power forward get a big centre get some offence he ins not it. We do not need stopgaps. We need to win a cup witin the next 2 years. PG and BOB get it done.

guys we do not need Jagr nor do we want jagr. He is 39 years old and I do mean OLD. we have a great young nucleus that do not need a prima donna past his prime peckerhead. You all remember what he has done not what he can do. Think about Mats Sundin' would you sign him a 10 mill a year? Like vancouver did? Do you think Mike Gillis would like a do-over? AHHHH yeah he would. What he did 15 years ago was great today he is a 39 year old over the hill phead. Get a power forward get a big centre get some offence he ins not it. We do not need stopgaps. We need to win a cup witin the next 2 years. PG and BOB get it done.

He's not a stop gap, he's additional depth.

Why does his age matter if he is still a high-end player? He has not fallen off nearly as much as you make it sound. Since the lockout:

04-05: 26-23-39 in 32 games with Avangard Omsk

05-06: 54-69-123 in 82 games with the NY Rangers

06-07: 30-66-96 in 82 games with the NY Rangers

07-08: 25-46-71 in 82 games with the NY Rangers

08-09: 25-28-53 in 55 games with Avangard Omsk

09-10: 22-20-42 in 51 games with Avangard Omsk

10-11: 19-32-51 in 49 games with Avangard Omsk

2011 World Championships: 5-4-9 in 9 games with Czech Republic

Note that his recent KHL seasons are comparable to his 04-05 season in the KHL. Even a 40 year old Jagr is arguably Montreal's best winger.

If the Canadiens are looking to win a Cup within two years, they will be looking to make veteran additions like Jagr. They won't win with their current roster. If you want a power forward, Jagr is the closest thing to a power forward Montreal will find.